Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

yeah I probably should have said comfortable too, but in my mind they're mostly the same meaning. why would one prefer something uncomfortable?

More of a psychological question than a political one...

There are definitely plenty of people who seek out uncomfortable situations, though they probably wouldn't describe them that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Gee, I wonder how FOX News and talk radio will report on this?

Eventually 'In a 6-3 decision, SCOTUS has rules that the IRS cannot audit as it compels honest speech'

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Wayne Knight posted:

Same. I just saw “They Live” in theaters as part of an anniversary showing, and it’s a great movie. I hope the people that made it really intended for it to be taken at the surface level of “no, really, they’re just aliens, capitalism is the monster here”
Good news, from the writer/director:

https://twitter.com/TheHorrorMaster/status/816486706186596352
Even in the eighties, Carpenter framed the movie as a reaction against Reaganomics. His core idea was that the aliens were interstellar capitalists treating the entire planet like the US treats third-world countries.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 9, 2023

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

James Garfield posted:

It's still polls. The 2022 polls did okay if you remove partisan pollsters (like Trafalgar publishing 10000 polls with a vibes based methodology to get the founder time on Fox News and Data For Progress manipulating polls to help the founder make money gambling on election results). The margin of error is just bigger than people think, and there's only so much polls can tell you 14 months before the election.

There's also special elections and the off-year elections in November.

Past that while Democrats beat the polls it wasn't by all that much: there were lots of very loud people shouting that Democrats were going to do even worse than the polling indicated and a huge red wave was incoming. Some of them were based on past trends, like the incumbent party losing seats in midterms or midterm voters being older and more conservative. Others were just projecting their personal beef with the Democrats into "everyone agrees with me" like how clearly Biden caused this inflation on the right or surely voters will remember Democrats cheated them out of $600 on the left. They tended to also be people who (whether in glee or horror) predicted red waves in 2018 and 2020.

The fact that propaganda works means that you do not need to be one of those people or even like those people for it to color your expectations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

haveblue posted:

Please give the most insane poll answers you can think of, for the thinkpieces

Years ago, a pollster called my cellphone, and towards the end there they asked about my religion, so I told them The Satanic Temple, since that was the truth. They were initially flustered then said they'd just put me down as "No Response" despite my assuring them I wasn't pulling their leg or trying to be edgy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rebel Blob posted:

Even in the eighties, Carpenter framed the movie as a reaction against Reaganomics. His core idea was that the aliens were interstellar capitalists treating the entire planet like the US treats third-world countries.

And I mean it's extremely obvious! Like... not subtle at all lol. God people suck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So does Battlefield: Earth

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rebel Blob posted:

Good news, from the writer/director:

https://twitter.com/TheHorrorMaster/status/816486706186596352

BonoMan posted:

And I mean it's extremely obvious! Like... not subtle at all lol. God people suck.

There's a phrase that comes up often when talking about conservatives: "Every accusation is a confession". When you look at world history, antisemitic conspiracy theories are the first example of that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nazis also try to invade and co-opt everything, like punk rock and Star Trek.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Name Change posted:

Even when the show says "Nazis gently caress off" in very simple words.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Name Change posted:

Nazis (and fascists in general) are utterly incapable of creating anything so they just steal.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Angry_Ed posted:

Nazis (and fascists in general) are utterly incapable of creating anything so they just steal.

That, and, it makes sense.
You want people to agree with you that Jews are secretly space lizards trying to turn your babies gay by manipulating the global markets? Or at the very least, you want your group to be on everybody's minds?

So what do you do? You latch onto Popular Thing and try to make sure people associate Popular Thing with your group. And if anyone tries to push back on it, you double down because that still means people are paying attention to you and there's no such thing as bad publicity.

And as long as modern-day Nazis are still on someone's lips, then they're still relevant and still out there and more people can get exposed to your message and maybe even join your ranks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Twincityhacker posted:

Even when the show says "Nazis gently caress off" in very simple words.

At least at a punk show you can generally get away with line-driving a nearly-full can of beer off a Nazi’s head.

ABPN.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

MrYenko posted:

At least at a punk show you can generally get away with line-driving a nearly-full can of beer off a Nazi’s head.

ABPN.

That reminds me of a year or two ago when Mike Ness jumped off stage to beat up a red hat who'd somehow thought that Social D was just an apolitical rock band, and was loudly dismayed to learn otherwise. Good times.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BonoMan posted:

If you've been raised your entire life to believe that capitalism is the perfect economic system that literally gives everyone more freedom, it's kind of hard to actually process any criticism of it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Even if your work literally says "there can be no justice under capitalism" you will have fans arguing that no, actually they only meant these very specific corruptions of an otherwise perfect system. Capitalism cannot fail, it can only be failed.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Young Freud posted:

There's a phrase that comes up often when talking about conservatives: "Every accusation is a confession". When you look at world history, antisemitic conspiracy theories are the first example of that.

I'm currently reading Zealot by Reza Aslan. It's a historical history of Jesus.

In it he talks about the ridiculous story of how the bible white washes Pontious Pilates actions (he was notoriously terrible and was documented as so apparently) and instead transposes the final decision of crucifixion onto the Jews themselves. Which makes no sense whatsoever of course.

He talks about how this is likely because once the Christian movement moves out into Rome... they had to retcon the Romans as "not evil" and instead put that blame on the Jewish population with a nonsensical story.

Feels like that's the origin story for all of this.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BonoMan posted:

In it he talks about the ridiculous story of how the bible white washes Pontious Pilates actions (he was notoriously terrible and was documented as so apparently) and instead transposes the final decision of crucifixion onto the Jews themselves. Which makes no sense whatsoever of course.

He talks about how this is likely because once the Christian movement moves out into Rome... they had to retcon the Romans as "not evil" and instead put that blame on the Jewish population with a nonsensical story.

I very vaguely remember from my cathechism days that there was a story that went like that.
Pontius has Jesus and some other dude who was convicted of a crime up in front of the crowd and says "Alright, y'all can have one pardon, who's it gonna be?"
And the crowd chooses Not Jesus, which leads to Jesus' crucifixion.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

the_steve posted:

I very vaguely remember from my cathechism days that there was a story that went like that.
Pontius has Jesus and some other dude who was convicted of a crime up in front of the crowd and says "Alright, y'all can have one pardon, who's it gonna be?"

That's how I remember it. The biblical account was Pilate offering Jesus or Barabbas to the crowd for mercy, expecting them to select Jesus. The priesthood instead incited the crowd to call for Barabbas's release.

Matthew 27 posted:

15 Now it was the governor’s custom at the festival to release a prisoner chosen by the crowd. 16 At that time they had a well-known prisoner whose name was Jesus[b] Barabbas. 17 So when the crowd had gathered, Pilate asked them, “Which one do you want me to release to you: Jesus Barabbas, or Jesus who is called the Messiah?” 18 For he knew it was out of self-interest that they had handed Jesus over to him.

19 While Pilate was sitting on the judge’s seat, his wife sent him this message: “Don’t have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him.”

20 But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and to have Jesus executed.

Kammat fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 10, 2023

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Good news, Joe loving shithead Biden passed the most significant climate change legislation in US history.

it came as a pleasant surprise when that happened, but let's not kid ourselves: it's a drop in the bucket in terms of what is actually needed

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I've always liked that a pivotal moment in a major world religion was basically an episode of the Jerry Springer Show where the crowd gets too rowdy, and the host just shrugs at the camera and walks off.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

the_steve posted:

Everyone should read the short sci-fi story about this, Let's Go To Golgotha!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Oi8z0G3vbi1GfHy

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

the_steve posted:

Barabas, we want Barabas.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Kammat posted:

That's how I remember it. The biblical account was Pilate offering Jesus or Barabbas to the crowd for mercy, expecting them to select Jesus. The priesthood instead incited the crowd to call for Barabbas's release.

Why did the priesthood do this?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

BonoMan posted:

A running theme of the four gospels is criticizing fundamentalism and religious scenarios where tradition is made more important than people. Like Socrates' death, the protagonist of the story being killed because of offending religious sensibilities is probably more the point of the text than a incoherent retcon to please an outside power. I don't think Pilate comes off very well at all though. He tortures Jesus, offers the crowd a sadistic trolly problem between two prominent members of their society, and then mocks him before ordering his execution. The trauma and fallout of the First Jewish–Roman War was fresh among the diaspora (including the emergent Christian movement) when the gospels were authored, so I don't think the intended audience had any trouble seeing Pilate and the Roman authorities as absolute monsters.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ither posted:

Why did the priesthood do this?

The Pharisees, the priesthood of Judea, feared the power of the revolutionary Jesus. Jesus smashed up the money changers' tables, depriving them of tithes; protected and comforted the marginalized; and gained an enormous following in a short time.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

A running theme of the four gospels is criticizing fundamentalism and religious scenarios where tradition is made more important than people. Like Socrates' death, the protagonist of the story being killed because of offending religious sensibilities is probably more the point of the text than a incoherent retcon to please an outside power. I don't think Pilate comes off very well at all though. He tortures Jesus, offers the crowd a sadistic trolly problem between two prominent members of their society, and then mocks him before ordering his execution. The trauma and fallout of the First Jewish–Roman War was fresh among the diaspora (including the emergent Christian movement) when the gospels were authored, so I don't think the intended audience had any trouble seeing Pilate and the Roman authorities as absolute monsters.

This may have been the point of the Gospels, but we know that the victors not only can rewrite history, but rewrite scripture to minimize their crimes.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 10, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MixMasterMalaria posted:

That doesn't account for the blood curse text in the gospel of Matthew

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_curse

Also, Barrabas was purported to be just a regular murderer as far as I'm aware, not a prominent person at all.

Basically, read Zealot. I haven't read it in like 15 years but it's pretty decent iirc

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Ever since I found out the purpose of the money changers, I've always found that passage to be kind of an rear end in a top hat move.

Basically: so you do animal sacrifice at the Temple, but instead of hauling your dove/lamb/ect. for several days and possiblely have it become injured and unritually pure for sacrifice, you raise you dove/lamb/ect. then sell it in your home area, then make the journey and buy a *new* animal sacrifice there. And since the Jewish people were in multiple empires at that point, you also had different currencies. And then when the animal was dead, the meat was sent to Ye Olde Foodbank for the poor.

So you have people, essentially, being cut off from doing their relgious duty and Jesus doesn't even say what to do instead as an alternative. He just smashes the place up and leaves.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Twincityhacker posted:

Ever since I found out the purpose of the money changers, I've always found that passage to be kind of an rear end in a top hat move.

Basically: so you do animal sacrifice at the Temple, but instead of hauling your dove/lamb/ect. for several days and possiblely have it become injured and unritually pure for sacrifice, you raise you dove/lamb/ect. then sell it in your home area, then make the journey and buy a *new* animal sacrifice there. And since the Jewish people were in multiple empires at that point, you also had different currencies. And then when the animal was dead, the meat was sent to Ye Olde Foodbank for the poor.

So you have people, essentially, being cut off from doing their relgious duty and Jesus doesn't even say what to do instead as an alternative. He just smashes the place up and leaves.

Except the moneychangers weren't doing this out of the goodness of their own hearts, they were there to make a profit. They were doing that old capitalist move: "making people paying for the convenience".

\/\/ Yeah, the temple had become a marketplace and not a place of worship.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 10, 2023

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
A big reason the moneychangers were in the temple was because Roman coin was stamped with the face of the emperor, and because the emperor was worshipped as a living god, donating Roman coin was a violation of the 1st Commandment.

It's been a decade plus since college but IIRC Jesus' throwing the moneychangers out of the temple was emblematic of him rebelling against Jewish authority in general. Everything about the temple, from who was allowed in to where certain groups of people were allowed to physically stand, was regimented and controlled to the point of the entire enterprise being run as a business. Jesus' broader point was "none of this poo poo matters, let people worship".

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Froghammer posted:

A big reason the moneychangers were in the temple was because Roman coin was stamped with the face of the emperor, and because the emperor was worshipped as a living god, donating Roman coin was a violation of the 1st Commandment.

That theory is questionable given that they were changing money into coins from Tyre, which used a different image of god (Melkart), but still an image of god.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Zealot is not serious scholarship and shouldn't be treated as such

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I'm pretty doubtful of this explanation, it sounds like backfilling. The gospel of Matthew was written before 100ad, likely when Domitian was in charge and persecuting Christians and Jews alike to enforce the Roman religion (incl syncretism with the Egyptian gods) and his own imperial divinity. There would be no cause or desire to frame the Empire as 'not evil' then.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bwee posted:

Zealot is not serious scholarship and shouldn't be treated as such

No, but it's a beach read for people who don't want to waste their lives with minutiae about poo poo that didn't happen

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
The historicity of Jesus is not disputed

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
...so how is jorp doing anyways?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SpeakSlow posted:

He is
Typing like this
For some reason

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

He is
Typing like this
For some reason
can't even get a haiku right

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

SpeakSlow posted:

He's been on a podcast guest revival tour arc.

He's still an edgelord weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

the_steve posted:

Yeah it's discussed in depth in the book but the basic conclusion is that this story makes no sense. The Jews would not have NOT picked Jesus... and Pilate never did that kind of poo poo anyway. He was so known for recklessly sending everyone instantly to their death that there were formal complaints lodged against him in Rome.

It was just a way to absolve the Romans of killing Jesus to make the story more palatable to the Romans they were evangelizing to.