Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JamesKPolk posted:

Here's a related (maybe) question - what's everyone filling their Trackers with these days?

When I started it used to be so much easier to get like EveryBreakEver.zip from Dogs On Acid, now, several sequencers and hard drives later, I'm seeing paid bandcamp and splice packs as the norm? Yucko

I'm glad to see https://samples.kb6.de/ is still up
Goldbaby stuff I assume is as easy to :files: as ever
Legowelt is going strong
Archive.org stepping up: https://archive.org/details/old-school-sample-cds-collection-01

Actually I might have solved my problems here - I couldn't find the Drum Machine Archive the other day and assumed it was gone but that's enough to fill a couple cards at least

Oh hey, thanks. I no doubt bought all these in some form at one time or another. You know, I have a massive vinyl collection all oriented toward sampling. I also did a haphazard effort at making a drum sample collection with the help of a jazz drummer buddy many years ago, I wish somebody would use it or remaster it. I'll find it and put it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

The one and only video Aphex Twin posted to his official Vimeo account was this no drums version of Vordhosbn, showing it was made in Pro Player tracker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAZo7x83it4

All trackers are amazing. If you have synths, just sample them, it's often way better than having them play live.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

JamesKPolk posted:

Here's a related (maybe) question - what's everyone filling their Trackers with these days?

When I started it used to be so much easier to get like EveryBreakEver.zip from Dogs On Acid, now, several sequencers and hard drives later, I'm seeing paid bandcamp and splice packs as the norm? Yucko

I'm glad to see https://samples.kb6.de/ is still up
Goldbaby stuff I assume is as easy to :files: as ever
Legowelt is going strong
Archive.org stepping up: https://archive.org/details/old-school-sample-cds-collection-01

Actually I might have solved my problems here - I couldn't find the Drum Machine Archive the other day and assumed it was gone but that's enough to fill a couple cards at least

i got a 128 gig sd card for my polyend and basically put my entire sample library on it, a mix of stuff i've bought and found over the years, and things like all the breaks and old sample cds.

there's a guy on reddit who took all the zero g datafile cds and took the tracks and edited down all the sounds into single files and then titled and organized them into folders. search zero g datafile cut, sorted & organized and you should be able to find them easily.

i was gonna recommend someone who made some p decent free samples for trackers and the styles of music that trackers are often used for but when i looked for the link i saw that it was another lapfox alias yeah maybe don't. :/

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay well I didn't buy all these. This is a lot. Glad to see they have my Rhythm Ace. Miss that hideous thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Samples confuse and frighten me, and every time I try to build a song around them I end up hating it. All my inspiration comes from twiddling knobs in a synth until something catches my ear and making a jam out of that.

So what I'm getting at is the only good trackers are sunvox, lsdj, and m8.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

look the polyend tracker plays Mario Brothers the NES rom, and now I'm never recording another sound.

what a weird feature

Makes more sense when you take into consideration that the minis game boy form factor has been in development longer than the desktop version

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

snorch posted:

OpenMPT has solid features but looks like rear end. Renoise is the unbeatable ideal tracker-as-a-DAW and will run on your crusty eeepc.

Let’s not forget the venerable Atari ST, undisputed king of dead-on MIDI timing.
https://youtu.be/Gen5hCHi9I4?si=DRwokTQO9oZ1fhLn
This dude knows what he's talking about

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

xzzy posted:

Samples confuse and frighten me, and every time I try to build a song around them I end up hating it. All my inspiration comes from twiddling knobs in a synth until something catches my ear and making a jam out of that.

So what I'm getting at is the only good trackers are sunvox, lsdj, and m8.

Old tracker trick: make a long sample of a synth you're turning a knob on to get filter sweep or whatever. Then play it back in the tracker with sample offsets, and a short envelope on the volume to jump around to different points in the sweep, sort of like turning the knob quickly while playing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

how to work with samples: a comprehensive guide

step 1: load an amen break sample
step 2: have fun :)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Modular is dumb and fun at 3:45am. I managed to record a couple sax samples earlier before everyone was asleep, then go from bitbox to, variously, e520 resampled reverb and spectraphon. Spectraphon is being pitched by rene; pam's clocks everything (I should really sell tempi and get a second pams).

The results are fun and I look forward to live looping and stuff tomorrow (playing the actual saxophone at 3:45 is prolly grounds for divorce?)
https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/23-09-09-sax-bitbox-e520-spectra

the path to get there. okay sure i could have better cable management but also this whole thing is kind of silly, right? I guess that's the point.

I ran it through VocalSynth and some of the Valhalla reverbs on the DAW side, too; super fun.

An issue with real time stuff, and hearing the mix well: even with IEMs under cans, there's a problem of hearing it well over the sax and not blowing ears out in the process. Maybe I could solve that by pointing an amp into the hills behind my house, and then just standing like 20' from it and turning it up to where it mixes nicely (from my perspective, of course; resident wildlife will find it awful); that's another thing to test when it's not almost 4am.

the more I figure out the more frustrating it is to not be able to touch acoustic instruments or monitors after ~8pm. maybe I need to build a studio instead of a sugarhouse :thunk:

e: i'm patching from the mic +48 adapter into bArp preamp; bArp has so much utility @ ~$500 even if you ignore its high frequency oscillation entirely; it's not an efficient use of space per se but it's a cool chunk of metal and plastic. I'll get an input module eventually, not needing to now is nice. The inverted outs from the voltage block are nice. Sending external noise through the filter w/a clocked envelope is nice, etc.

Mr. Sharps posted:

Makes more sense when you take into consideration that the minis game boy form factor has been in development longer than the desktop version

I didn't know this; interesting!

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 9, 2023

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Speaking of sampling synths, does anyone remember Autosampler? And more importantly, is there a working equivalent nowadays?

It was an osx program that would automatically sample, trim, and package synth note by note (or every nth note) in multiple formats (for kontakt etc) and sadly it was buried by Apple and the old program stopped working as of Snow Leopard iirc

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
There's an Autosampler in Logic.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Ah, that would explain why Apple buried it

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

First I was going to suggest Yamaha’s silent brass mute/pickup system, but then I realized they’re for trumpets only, because a sax emits sound from everywhere, and you’ve got to do this instead:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Speaking of sampling synths, does anyone remember Autosampler? And more importantly, is there a working equivalent nowadays?

It was an osx program that would automatically sample, trim, and package synth note by note (or every nth note) in multiple formats (for kontakt etc) and sadly it was buried by Apple and the old program stopped working as of Snow Leopard iirc

Yes, it’s called SampleRobot - https://samplerobot.com/

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

snorch posted:

First I was going to suggest Yamaha’s silent brass mute/pickup system, but then I realized they’re for trumpets only, because a sax emits sound from everywhere, and you’ve got to do this instead:

Yeah lol these are hilarious and once I have a tenor I might look harder at them even though they're totally absurd

Trumpet has one pleasure hole, sax has many :shrug:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Yeah lol these are hilarious and once I have a tenor I might look harder at them even though they're totally absurd

Just have to get used to playing with headphones on IMO.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

petit choux posted:

Just have to get used to playing with headphones on IMO.

I'm totally used to this, and used to playing with IEMs or plugs under headphones.

Woodwinds are uniquely challenging because the sound is resonating inside my skull cavity, it's transferred by bone conduction, and the harmonics also tend to mix with my tinnitus to the degree that I can barely tell what is what over 8-10k anyway :rolleye:

the absurd case-cover thing isn't to protect me, it's so I could (in theory) play in a house other people live in at weird hours. I prefer monitors to cans for everything but I am able to use headphones late at night for some stuff, doesn't help with acoustic instruments.

Building an office in a separate building gets more attractive by the day.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 9, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Underground lair. Underground lair!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Underground lair. Underground lair!

with all the rain we've had this year, a stilt house seems better, and this is at 1500' :ohdear:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

snorch posted:

I have to wonder what went through the model's head when she showed up for work that day to find out she had to pose with that thing strapped to her.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quoting so I look at it later

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Polyend Tracker is cool but it's not a synthesizer and I'm not sure it's a reasonable thing for me to have right now; this might be the first thing I actually return... since... ??

edit: i mean aside from technically being a subtractive synth, sampler, granular synth, wavetable synth and also having an FM radio.

hmm.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 10, 2023

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

Yes, it’s called SampleRobot - https://samplerobot.com/

Thanks! Definitely seems like the thing. drat pricey tho

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

They were talking on Mr Bill's podcast about YouTube channels that recreate sounds and the guest was like yeah one time I saw a video where a guy did a pretty rock solid recreation of one of my bass synths, almost nailed it, but in reality I searched YouTube for "bird sounds" and ran some through my convolution reverb

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Arms_Akimbo posted:

They were talking on Mr Bill's podcast about YouTube channels that recreate sounds and the guest was like yeah one time I saw a video where a guy did a pretty rock solid recreation of one of my bass synths, almost nailed it, but in reality I searched YouTube for "bird sounds" and ran some through my convolution reverb

it takes more time to make fake

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Bought drambo on iOS which seems awesome.

Returned poly end as a thing I don't want to be distracted by right now. It's also worse than iOS apps when I'm in the car with my wife because physical key clicky is bad

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Drambo is really deep but the piano roll editor suuuucks.

I love the modular synth parts of it though. The pattern play is super rad too.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Reminds me of the "how burial sampled/produced x album" video where he finds a tutorial on how to make a sound in sylenth or something and just samples the tutorial

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I was watching a hot take video and a guy sent one in like "unless you're creating your own sounds you're not a producer" and the response was "all of burial's instruments were sampled from metal gear solid so no"

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I was watching a hot take video and a guy sent one in like "unless you're creating your own sounds you're not a producer" and the response was "all of burial's instruments were sampled from metal gear solid so no"

:lmao: I'm a guy who likes to make my own sounds, but just :lol: if you've never had the experience of scrolling through some synth presets or listening to a sample CD/bank and going "omg that's the basis of one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands/artists and they didn't even change it a little bit :qq:"

There are no rules except, like, copyright laws.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:lmao: I'm a guy who likes to make my own sounds, but just :lol: if you've never had the experience of scrolling through some synth presets or listening to a sample CD/bank and going "omg that's the basis of one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands/artists and they didn't even change it a little bit :qq:"

There are no rules except, like, copyright laws.
Hahaha! Yep, similar to hearing the presets on a volca FM and going "whoa, this little battery box can make the sounds of the future from my childhood!" It's what TV and movies sounded like when I was in elementary school. And nobody sane is making those patches from scratch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Grimes built her entire career on garage band loops

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Zero G Datafiles 1—3 as mentioned up-page, and AMG REMIX have you covered for so much.
If you like 90s Prodigy or Rammstein, these got you covered, fam. Sehnsucht has Datafiles sounds all over it, whereas with AMG Remix you've got a majority of beats for Jilted Generation.
Add Jungle Warfare 1-3 to get to Fat of the Land.
(OK I'm a bit reductive here, but the moment you play The Roller off JW3 I guarantee you will know what song it is from)

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 10, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

NonzeroCircle posted:

Zero G Datafiles 1—3 as mentioned up-page, and AMG REMIX have you covered for so much.
If you like 90s Prodigy or Rammstein, these got you covered, fam. Sehnsucht has Datafiles sounds all over it, whereas with AMG Remix you've got a majority of beats for Jilted Generation.
Add Jungle Warfare 1-3 to get to Fat of the Land.
(OK I'm a bit reductive here, but the moment you play The Roller off JW3 I guarantee you will know what song it is from)

https://archive.org/details/old-school-sample-cds-collection-01

here. This should be in the OP of every synth/electronic thread

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Absolutely!
it's all mirrored on a site called Comfybox too (which is very web 1.0)- occasionally it vanishes from archive.org

watho
Aug 2, 2013

PSA for people with a polyend tracker who haven't upgraded to firmware 1.7. don't. it's not stable, there's a ton of weird issues and it hard crashed on me twice. a check on reddit shows that other people have problems as well and polyend is working on a fix

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Grimes built her entire career on garage band loops

garage band loops >> emerald mines

watho posted:

PSA for people with a polyend tracker who haven't upgraded to firmware 1.7. don't. it's not stable, there's a ton of weird issues and it hard crashed on me twice. a check on reddit shows that other people have problems as well and polyend is working on a fix

conversely if you just bought a PT and are returning it, definitely go to 1.7 and mention audio clicks / pops in the "why???" box :laugh:

(it doesn't actually matter, polyend official is 14 day worry free)

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

B33rChiller posted:

Hahaha! Yep, similar to hearing the presets on a volca FM and going "whoa, this little battery box can make the sounds of the future from my childhood!" It's what TV and movies sounded like when I was in elementary school. And nobody sane is making those patches from scratch.

If you don't dial up That Bass Preset and play the opening notes of "Danger Zone" every time you turn on an FM synth, what are you even doing?

Also, yo dawg, I heard you like Eurorack, so... https://synthanatomy.com/2023/09/4ms-meta-new-module-hosts-and-puts-vcv-rack-in-your-eurorack-system-knobcon-2023.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I am (finally) reading the Disting EX manual to see all the things it can do when I'm not using it as a sax pitch tracker and :hmmyes: now I understand all the "rack full of just distings" jokes :stare:

RocketMermaid posted:

If you don't dial up That Bass Preset and play the opening notes of "Danger Zone" every time you turn on an FM synth, what are you even doing?

Also, yo dawg, I heard you like Eurorack, so... https://synthanatomy.com/2023/09/4ms-meta-new-module-hosts-and-puts-vcv-rack-in-your-eurorack-system-knobcon-2023.html

This seems worse to me than
a) the myriad of multi-function modules that exist
b) a decent laptop/tablet running VCV connected to ES9 or similar

but what do I know, other than "befaco, OLED, VCV, want"? :stare:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 10, 2023