Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I haven't really found any real evidence of what kind of animation style X-Men '97 will have, but I have found multiple sources talking about a trailer that was shown at comic con that was not shown online, so some people out there know what it will look like, even if they don't seem to be saying anything directly about the animation. drat comic nerds.

https://www.ign.com/articles/x-men-97-5-things-we-learned-at-comic-con-2023

I can't really figure much from the publicly released promotional images on whether it's 3D CGI or not. I certainly can imagine some of the images being rendered from a cel-shading system. They have a sort of lifelessness that you would get with CG, but that could just be from the few promotional images being gone over and workshopped to death to beat the life out of them.

https://twitter.com/MCU_Facility/status/1689690409537056789
https://twitter.com/MCU_Facility/status/1689689527613304832
https://collider.com/x-men-97-cast-plot-release/

There's always going to be some kind of computer assistance with modern animation, and especially with the style of the X-Men Animated Series, there's lots of detail that would be pretty resource-intensive to do. They do seem to be shying away from the heavy-inking that defined the original's style, and while everyone has shadows, there's no highlights (that's part of why the original was so expensive, at its best there would be 4 levels of shading as opposed to the more common 2 levels of shading).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Fuego Fish posted:

Considering he says "they will kneel" I'm guessing that's Zod.

Ohhh that makes more sense.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is that Sunspot next to Jubilee and Bishop in the group shot?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
How far is Metropolis from the Kent farm in Kansas anyway? It's not on the eastcoast, right? Otherwise that would be quite an excessive travel just to visit your daughter's boyfriend's family for a dinner.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

cant cook creole bream posted:

How far is Metropolis from the Kent farm in Kansas anyway? It's not on the eastcoast, right? Otherwise that would be quite an excessive travel just to visit your daughter's boyfriend's family for a dinner.

Traditionally Metropolis is in Delaware(Gotham nearby in New Jersey), Smallville being in Kansas is a slightly newer development having been introduced by the first Christopher Reeves Superman film, prior to that it usually was depicted as being not too far from Metropolis(though Pre-Crisis both Ma and Pa Kent had passed away by the time Clark had become Superman so he didn't really have much reason to visit his home town on a regular basis)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's this thing that happens in MAW Superman every so often that I see in other superhero media that is always weird to me and it's when the character is treated as though they weigh far more than they actually do.

Like Superman chasing Mist down the street and not flying all that fast or more than a few feet off the ground, but when he falls he ends up carving a path through the concrete. He's not a wrecking ball, he would have just bounced or slid.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Something I forgot to mention last week: It's a little weird that General Lane is a, well, General? Yet he was on the ground like an enlisted during the aborted Krypton invasion and Waller is able to rope him into doing cloak and dagger poo poo instead of him just being re-assigned to some other general thing.

Alternately, Waller has such ludicrous amounts of power in this setting that she could make the "President? You know how much power I'd have to give up if I was president" speech

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Isn't Waller having extremely unrealistic amounts of power her "power" in every medium

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I mean, my biggest impression of her is from the comics, and there it's less than she's inexplicably powerful and more that she just has leverage on a comical amount of power players by virtue of taking care of all their dirty work

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Most modern depictions of Amanda Waller have the issue of making her not only way too much of a bastard but also a really really loving stupid one, JLU is basically one of the only times in the last 20 years or so where someone actually understood the character and did her right

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Something I forgot to mention last week: It's a little weird that General Lane is a, well, General? Yet he was on the ground like an enlisted during the aborted Krypton invasion and Waller is able to rope him into doing cloak and dagger poo poo instead of him just being re-assigned to some other general thing.

Alternately, Waller has such ludicrous amounts of power in this setting that she could make the "President? You know how much power I'd have to give up if I was president" speech

The first Krypton invasion was 22 years ago, he probably became a General afterwards and then got roped into the Project X poo poo because he was at the original Krypton invasion

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

Most modern depictions of Amanda Waller have the issue of making her not only way too much of a bastard but also a really really loving stupid one, JLU is basically one of the only times in the last 20 years or so where someone actually understood the character and did her right

The best factoid re: JLU Waller is C.C.H. Pounder had to be constantly reminded who the character was whenever she went in for recording, and she would still nail it in one take because she's a goddamn boss.

Honestly, MawS was a bit mid for me. There were some fun moments, but there were a bit too many contrivances (both in plot and characterization) to make me super high on it. I'll still watch season 2.

That said, the one thing that did make me perk up was the Checkmate name drop. This is the first time they've been mentioned outside the comics, isn't it?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah, this is a pet peeve of mine. Bit of an issue this show had as well imo. It was bad in 52 where she's like, deliberately needling Black Adam into losing control because she thinks he's in danger of losing control and then causes him to lose control and kills thousands of people. Then in this show she deliberately lets out the entirety of task force X, gets her base blown up, parasite fucks up the city and she doesn't even learn any additional info or get anything useful or worthwhile out of it.

I think it works if you want to portray her as a petulant, paranoid idiot, like in the Suicide Squad films/Peacemaker, they're basically cleaning up her messes and then ignore her when she tells them to leave and something conveniently stops her just blowing them up. It's just that's not her core character in what's considered her biggest appearances and what made her appealing originally, where she was a competent, intelligent, somewhat amoral but still could be reasonable person.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think the explanation for Lane and Wallers relationship is, in the show it seems like both of them are relatively equal in power officially, like he's able to make her back off in the earlier episodes by just saying "I'm in charge of this operation" and such, it's either actually true or she's happy to let him think that at that point. I think we're supposed to assume they've basically built their careers on being the only survivors/eyewitnesses to the initial invasion so they've been able to write their own tickets in their respective areas over the last 20 years and this is the first time they're butting heads over it. That was my read on it and then whoever is funding them sided with Waller after the previous episode so Lane is basically now her subordinate.

Talking about what an actual general would be doing or whether it's realistic for a grunt to become a general over 20 years is kinda irrelevant cause it's a comic book show ultimately I think.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 3, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Season 1 was good although I've never been a huge fan when adaptations have every villain originate from the same source. Mxy and the League of Lois Lanes was a great departure because he wasn't Kryptonian tech and the League fit a lot better with my notion of what a show titled "My Adventures with" would be about, namely centering the experience of Lois and Jimmy a lot more and doing more things that felt like Silver Age weirdness rather than a straight Superman action show.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lobok posted:

Season 1 was good although I've never been a huge fan when adaptations have every villain originate from the same source. Mxy and the League of Lois Lanes was a great departure because he wasn't Kryptonian tech and the League fit a lot better with my notion of what a show titled "My Adventures with" would be about, namely centering the experience of Lois and Jimmy a lot more and doing more things that felt like Silver Age weirdness rather than a straight Superman action show.

So, not a fan of Static Shock, I take it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Never saw it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

Then in this show she deliberately lets out the entirety of task force X, gets her base blown up, parasite fucks up the city and she doesn't even learn any additional info or get anything useful or worthwhile out of it.

Well the thing she gets is undermining Lane's authority (which she only does when Lane has a momentary "Are we the baddies?" moment) and putting her in charge of everything. Granted maybe letting out the whole of Task Force X was overkill but since she was already down to let that freeway fall on Superman before Lane called Slade off, Waller's clearly okay with "acceptable losses"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Air Skwirl posted:

Is that Sunspot next to Jubilee and Bishop in the group shot?

Looks like him, and he’d certainly be a great addition.

I do love the big leagues glow up Bobby and Illyana have gotten in the last decade or so, though I feel a bit bad for the rest of the gang, Dani especially.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just don't understand having Bobby on the team if you don't also have Cannonball.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

People who have seen the preview have said that Sunspot is going to be the new guy on the team like Jubilee was in the beginning.

Also Jean Grey is going to be pregnant, which may actually be the first time she has been depicted as such in the franchise, and also leads into a reason for Mr. Sinister to be a big featuring villain.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I finally caught up on all of My Adventures with Superman.

I really want to point out how much I love Clark's fight choreography, too.

He's just reacting. He feels like he has no combat training (as he should, who'd he have to spar with?). It's great to see him being overwhelmed by better fighters, if they upgrade their abilities a bit.

He so often feels like he's on the back foot in every conflict he's in, and that's so rare for Superman. It's good drama.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The ending to the latest Harley Quinn episode. :eyepop:

Didn't see that poo poo coming!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The fact that this particular plot beat is the most tasteful way I've seen it handled, in Harley Quinn of all shows, really shows how low that particular bar is.

I mean arguably Young Justice but that loses points for being incredibly dumb.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Am I overthinking the end of MWAS? Seems odd they would use a mask for Zod but then telegraph who it is by using the obvious kneel line. Right? Doing that makes it seem like it's a red herring. Unless they just wanted to hide his face and distort his voice because they're not certain of his design/actor yet.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know that a line from a 40-year-old movie is super-obvious as a tell, at least in the context of this teen anime version of Superman.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe not if you expect each viewer to be isolated but for anyone online or part of the fan community talking about a show that kind of thing is the obvious big news that would be talked about.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I guess it could be a red herring, I think it is just they picked his iconic line to get people a little hyped and the design is a redesign though. They'll do the anime thing where they break his armour expecting that to be a game changer and he'll just be even scarier with it broken off or something.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

thebardyspoon posted:

I guess it could be a red herring, I think it is just they picked his iconic line to get people a little hyped and the design is a redesign though. They'll do the anime thing where they break his armour expecting that to be a game changer and he'll just be even scarier with it broken off or something.

We find out its like a Darth Vader suit and he was horribly mangled somehow surviving Krypton's destruction.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Just found out seasons 3 and 4 are going to get pitched soon, so I guess the numbers were good enough to warrant a listen! Mind this isn't confirmation of additional seasons; rather, a case pleading for WBA to greenlight more.

My hopes are up!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Das Boo posted:

Just found out seasons 3 and 4 are going to get pitched soon, so I guess the numbers were good enough to warrant a listen! Mind this isn't confirmation of additional seasons; rather, a case pleading for WBA to greenlight more.

My hopes are up!

Speaking of, any word on when Season 2 should be starting up (if you can’t tell us that’s fine)? I think I heard something like late this year/early 2024

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, any word on when Season 2 should be starting up (if you can’t tell us that’s fine)? I think I heard something like late this year/early 2024

I've heard early 2024, but nothing specific. Crew usually finds out pretty much along with the public. I only knew about our July S1 premiere a few months ahead of time because Jake was so jazzed about being on Toonami that he called me as soon as he found out. :3:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I've heard early 2024, but nothing specific. Crew usually finds out pretty much along with the public. I only knew about our July S1 premiere a few months ahead of time because Jake was so jazzed about being on Toonami that he called me as soon as he found out. :3:

Fair enough, I assume it’s still going to be 10 episodes like the previous one was?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Given the credited voice actor the mask is probably a cover for this version of Zod being a woman

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Larryb posted:

It probably depends a lot on if all the dialogue has already been recorded, otherwise the strike will probably affect it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Blockhouse posted:

Given the credited voice actor the mask is probably a cover for this version of Zod being a woman

In this universe it is actually Kara.
That would be awesome, actually.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If Harley Quinn doesn't kill Joker over shooting Batgirl
I'm going to be pissed off.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Larryb posted:

Fair enough, I assume it’s still going to be 10 episodes like the previous one was?

Yup!

Air Skwirl posted:

It probably depends a lot on if all the dialogue has already been recorded, otherwise the strike will probably affect it.

Dialogue's all recorded! I worked from fully-voiced animatics. If the season's not 100% complete, it's very nearly so; they were deep in retakes by April.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

In this universe it is actually Kara.
That would be awesome, actually.

VA’s for Supergirl and Lana have been confirmed after all so I assume we’ll see them in Season 2

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Air Skwirl posted:

If Harley Quinn doesn't kill Joker over shooting Batgirl
I'm going to be pissed off.

I've been feeling that the writing hasn't been that hot in places this season, but I actually groaned out loud at them going to that well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Harley has straight up sucked this season, this was just the worst part yet.