Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What?

Zero G makes it so you can't tilt your head?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
The bald guy's head is aligned with his body though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

emSparkly posted:

The bald guy's head is aligned with his body though.

That’s because he’s a beta male leaning in to a superior specimen

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
People trying to align with the face of the person holding the camera is a conspiracy, actually.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Vib Rib posted:

What?

Zero G makes it so you can't tilt your head?

actually the sternocleidomastoid muscle relaxes when in microgravity making the neck unable to rotate :science:

this is why there is no recorded evidence of oral sex in space

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i thought that was going to be incel geometry again from the shrunk in thumbnail.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Kit Walker posted:

There are some countries out there where if you have a kid you have to name them something from a preapproved list or get the courts to okay it or whatever, and I always thought that was a really stupid and restrictive policy. But then I see poo poo like this and it makes me think that maybe they have the right idea

Germany doesn't have a specific list, but a couple rules and the can deny you the right to name your kid Satan, McDonald, Pain, Thanatos, Gucci, Whiskey and Superman (all names that were rejected 2022). They accepted Pepsi-Carola, Leonardo da Vinci Franz, Snow White, Cinderella-Melodie, Dee-Jay, Allemmania and Prestige, so honestly it's not that restrictive.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Whiskey is a loving great name for a kid. It's weird when they are a baby but once they can walk it's hilarious to imagine a parent chasing a toddler saying "Whiskey, come over here"

Also, I kinda think a kid named Whiskey isn't going to drink until they're like 30. Like girls named Chastity or Virginia tend to sleep around.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The benchmark is "how hard is your kid going to be bullied in school because of the name you chose", and if you are over the threshold they tell you to find a better name.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Antigravitas posted:

The benchmark is "how hard is your kid going to be bullied in school because of the name you chose", and if you are over the threshold they tell you to find a better name.

How do you bully a kid named Whiskey?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Air Skwirl posted:

How do you bully a kid named Whiskey?

There are multiple ways to make them sour.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ynohtna posted:

There are multiple ways to make them sour.

I was just thinking some bully grasping at straws and blurts out "you destroyed my parents marriage"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

My inner teenage shithead would absolutely constantly imply their mother drank during pregnancy, that's for sure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

My inner teenage shithead would absolutely constantly imply their mother drank during pregnancy, that's for sure.

You just jump back with "and somehow I'm still smarter than you"

This hypothetical kid named Whiskey needs a decent GPA I guess. Or maybe it's a Boy Named Sue situation, hadn't thought about that.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Air Skwirl posted:

You just jump back with "and somehow I'm still smarter than you"

This hypothetical kid named Whiskey needs a decent GPA I guess. Or maybe it's a Boy Named Sue situation, hadn't thought about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marijuana_Pepsi_Vandyck

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Just having the weird name is what marks the kid as a target, the bullying isn’t going to be specifically about the name.

I’m guessing the goons who think that small children are firing back at bullies with bon mots and witticisms don’t have children, because bullies will absolutely just pick anything as a reason, and make that kid’s life a misery all the time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Also, the fact they're not gonna come up with something good actually makes it worse. Something clever takes way too long to come up with and is hard to repeatedly deploy, but when they come up with the dumbest, laziest jab on the planet? That poo poo's evergreen and the torment adds up.

I was bullied over school using several names that literally had no origin beyond 'they don't like it when we call them that', and that was way worse than anything that had any basis, because what the gently caress do you even do in response to that?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Cloacamazing! posted:

Germany doesn't have a specific list, but a couple rules and the can deny you the right to name your kid Satan, McDonald, Pain, Thanatos, Gucci, Whiskey and Superman (all names that were rejected 2022). They accepted Pepsi-Carola, Leonardo da Vinci Franz, Snow White, Cinderella-Melodie, Dee-Jay, Allemmania and Prestige, so honestly it's not that restrictive.

iirc in australia the law is based off not being able to name your kid after a formal title so while i understand why you cant name your child 'doctor' i wholeheartedly support being able to name your child 'pope'

e:"allemania" is a very beautiful name for a girl that feels a bit too nationalistic for me to be comfortable with fwiw

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Bullying issues aside, it just says a lot about the parents if they give their kids names like that. Yes, it's probably very funny to loudly call for Whiskey at the daycare, and people will give you very funny looks when they find out that's your child's name, but at the end of the day you're sticking your child with that reaction for their entire life, or at least until they change their name and never speak to you again.

Fandom names are just as bad. Little Kylo Vader is a person, not an extension of his parents. He might grow up not liking the thing his name is based on. What happens then? Will the parents be able to let their child decide for themselves, or won't they? Obvious fandom name is definitely a sign for the second option.

My rule of thumb on fandom names: plausible deniability. Luke is fine, Luke Sky Walker (seen that one in the wild) is not, don't even get me started on Gandalph-Merlin (no spelling error on my end).

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

This is my son, Goku Frodo Skywalker

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Batman bin suparman probably has a great life but he's the exception

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

This is my other son, Guilliman Fortnite Star Trek

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

endocriminologist posted:

Batman bin suparman probably has a great life but he's the exception

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24911186

quote:

The jokes on social media are aplenty following the news that a 23-year-old man, Batman bin Suparman, has been given a prison sentence of 33 months by a court in Singapore. Batman was arrested after being caught stealing money from a shop, as well as using his brother's cash card to withdraw money. Far-fetched as it seems, this unusual name does appear to be entirely genuine - and it's not gone unnoticed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is my daughter: Toph Mann Lee (I like Avatar the Last Airbender, Team Fortress 2 and Syndrome's voice actor)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Have you seen my son, Neil Tropy [lastname]? I named him after a Crash Bandicoot character. My wife, Miranda nee Bison, was fine with it.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Reminds me of the guy who named his kid after a Homestuck character. One day the mother found out where the name came from, and she divorced him and named the kid something else.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This my dog, Vampire Survivors Elden Ring Tears of the Kingdom

https://twitter.com/wanyeburkett/status/1699422574294311051

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

And why aren’t those chess pieces just floating around? Caught you out, NASA hoaxers!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Cloacamazing! posted:

It's also pretty much down to the clerk if they accept a name or not.
Friend of mine is named Sharon and, since Sharon is a name that can be used for boys and girls, they told her parents they have to give her a second name that clearly identifies her gender. Sometimes it's insane like that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I thought I agreed with this post then I realized I missed the “anti-“ prefix.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

iirc in australia the law is based off not being able to name your kid after a formal title so while i understand why you cant name your child 'doctor' i wholeheartedly support being able to name your child 'pope'

e:"allemania" is a very beautiful name for a girl that feels a bit too nationalistic for me to be comfortable with fwiw

I've actually done research on this one for the purposes of teaching trans people about changing IDs. The law's determined by state, so it varies exactly what you're allowed to do, but in Victoria there's basically three things you're banned from changing your name to:

1. Names that are 'obscene or offensive',
2. A name that's impractical for regular use (so too long, contain unpronounceable symbols, phrases, acronyms, stuff like that)
3. A name 'contrary to the public interest', which is mostly about knocking you back for putting a title in your name, but does include other things. You cannot call yourself a god.

Naturally, they provide examples for 2 and 3, but not for 1.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Thinkin about my kids’ names. We did the needful and gave them the family tradition, a name no one can pronounce so you just adopt an english name

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Name your kid after a regex pattern so you have multiple choices for what to call them later

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Badass

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Cleretic posted:

I've actually done research on this one for the purposes of teaching trans people about changing IDs. The law's determined by state, so it varies exactly what you're allowed to do, but in Victoria there's basically three things you're banned from changing your name to:

1. Names that are 'obscene or offensive',
2. A name that's impractical for regular use (so too long, contain unpronounceable symbols, phrases, acronyms, stuff like that)
3. A name 'contrary to the public interest', which is mostly about knocking you back for putting a title in your name, but does include other things. You cannot call yourself a god.

Naturally, they provide examples for 2 and 3, but not for 1.

i was interested enough to look up what the laws were in qld

i dont know why but its very funny to me that those are the two examples for statements being prohibited as names

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Jay-Z and Beyoncé have a son named Sir. I can only imagine how much his teachers hate calling on him in class.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

RareAcumen posted:

I'm guessing "poo poo" in his analogy is very different than what I consider the problems in public schooling.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Also, the fact they're not gonna come up with something good actually makes it worse. Something clever takes way too long to come up with and is hard to repeatedly deploy, but when they come up with the dumbest, laziest jab on the planet? That poo poo's evergreen and the torment adds up.

I was bullied over school using several names that literally had no origin beyond 'they don't like it when we call them that', and that was way worse than anything that had any basis, because what the gently caress do you even do in response to that?

There was a time in elementary school I was called Raymond. Middle initial R, it stands for not Raymond, but they loved my reaction of telling them that wasn't my name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I still facepalm over Kevin Smith naming his daughter Harley Quinn Smith. But I guess she's fine with it, given that she hasn't changed it or disowned him.