Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s really not.

I’m like 15 hours in and haven’t had any crashes or even major bugs.

Minor UI gripes sure but that’s what they went with so :shrug:

Game is fine.

Lol crashes and major bugs aren't why it's rough and polished and undervalued. Although the bug where you can't beat the game is pretty funny but you don't encounter that till later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

the bug where you can't beat the game is pretty funny but you don't encounter that till later

At the end of the game?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No actually that would've been nice. I tried several old saves to see which part broke the ending doohickey. All the conveniently close to end ones were busted too.

I went back way farther, like a third through main story. Using noclip saved some time running through that stuff but a lot of it takes the time it takes regardless of what you do.

I avoided three things I couldn't rule out:

Switching or editing my ship in any way. It's possible the shipbuilder itself could be the thing moving the bugged marker outside of the ship (but using noclip to go where map marker says it is doesn't work)

Doing any quest that involves using a quest ship or anything.

And the end of a quest line involving ship upgrading and other shenanigans.

Saw several others with similar bug since launch w no solution yet. Only big issue I've had w the game so far but preeetty annoying one to get.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Development of Star Citizen: A Story in Two Photos

Holy gently caress lmao

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/qmfbzub.mp4

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

it's wimdy

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Khanstant posted:

It really won't. It's funny how much mythic power modders have accrued over time both because 92% of Bethesda game players never use a mod or aren't even playing where mods are possible and the mods themselves never have the big foundational changes that would be needed to make the game notably better. Tweaking numbers, swapping adding models, UI fixes, altered start conditions, poo poo like that will be available for the tiny minority of players who mod but there's never been a set of mods to make a poo poo Bethesda game into a good one. Fallout 4 has has years for modders to do their thing and they haven't made the game much better, because they can't, the base isn't solid enough like it was for Skyrim and Morrowind.

They didn't make it meaningfully better because to make fallout 4 any good at all, you need to literally tear apart the game entirely and rebuild it from nothing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If there was ever a time to do it, it would've been for Starfield.

You can preview the main map of the next TES in this game on some random forest planet. You can also preview their "expedition guild" mode where you can explore procgen islands for buried treasure or garbage for your pirate ship.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
looks like Christ Roberts gave out some free ships this year :shobon:

o7

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

NoMas posted:

looks like Christ Roberts gave out some free ships this year :shobon:

o7

All hail Cripes Rabbits

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Starfield mopping crew confirmed:

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Is there anything that Bethesda won't steal from poor little indy game star citizen?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

Starfield mopping crew confirmed:

Well, the difference is, in Star Citizen, this janitor would disappear for a while and you would wonder where he is. Turns out he has been living a double life as a secret agent space mercenary and has been on a covert mission. This kind of AI (based on the barista AI) will all be included in Star Citizen.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

Well, the difference is, in Star Citizen, this janitor would disappear for a while and you would wonder where he is. Turns out he has been living a double life as a secret agent space mercenary and has been on a covert mission. This kind of AI (based on the barista AI) will all be included in Star Citizen.

Wow! They really do think of everything, don't they?

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
How are people still putting money into this garbage. Surely people can't be that stupid. Like I have a hard time believing monocle cat is a real person and not on contract

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Defiance Industries posted:

They didn't make it meaningfully better because to make fallout 4 any good at all, you need to literally tear apart the game entirely and rebuild it from nothing.

Well yeah why do you think they made the salvage and construction aspect such a big component of the game?

It’s basically all I ever did when I played Fallout 4 and I had loads of fun!

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
Thing is, the reason MonocleCat keeps producing huge essays full of almost- comprehensible nonsense , is because it is actually an AI coded by Croberts. Fully emergent behavior! Explains why it seems to be doing nothing else: It has no actual life or needs, so of course it is writing non-stop.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

lobsterminator posted:

I hope someone mods in the SC coffee shop to Starfield. It needs to be in some large dull gray hall so that it looks extra sad, like in SC.

It would be really funny if someone went full hog and just added all the SC ships in.

Make them fully functioning too.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Private Speech posted:

It would be really funny if someone went full hog and just added all the SC ships in.

Make them fully functioning too.

To integrate them into Starfield they would have to be made into modules that fit on a grid, because starships in Starfield are just space Lego. This is the main draw for me, I built many Lego space ships as a kid, but I won't buy it until my 3090 can push reasonable quality in 4k with it, or I upgrade my system, whichever comes first.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Starfield looks like poo poo and "if you like other Bethesda games you'll like Starfield" is unequivocally a bad review and an indictment of Bethesda for failing to innovate in 20 years while other AAA companies are doing new, cool poo poo.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

lobsterminator posted:

Actually the janitor is a critical part of your ship. Without regular cleaning of the ships interior, the fully simulated dust particles will slowly settle first on the floors and then start to clog up various lifesupport filters etc. This will in turn make the air quality in the ship (also fully simulated) bad, and your character will get space hayfever. Also the ship will explode.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Does Starfield handle Argon levels?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

smoobles posted:

Starfield looks like poo poo and "if you like other Bethesda games you'll like Starfield" is unequivocally a bad review and an indictment of Bethesda for failing to innovate in 20 years while other AAA companies are doing new, cool poo poo.

It's also not true. I liked other Bethesda games but Fallout 4 and Starfield have just been huge lovely stinkers especially for Bethesda games. Fallout 4 was where they kinda forgot what they were good at and why, 76 was even more of a whiff of fundamental understanding of the appeal of their games. Starfield is the culmination of their fundamental error of understanding where the charm in their formula nests. It's like they see their past games make the big sales and assume it's because of their worst habits and systems.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

FishMcCool posted:

Fool reporting for duty. :patriot:

I got all the mainline Elder Scrolls as soon as they came out since Arena and have yet to regret a single one. Starfield is very much in that mould, and you can bet I'll pick up TES 6 when it comes out in 6 years time.

Hell, Skyrim is even the reason why I signed up for Steam, which I tremendously resented back then.

(now Battlespire was shite, fair enough)

I came to the series with Morrowind. Someone at school burned it on a disk and practically forced me to try it. Understood very little initially but eventually loved it.

The games prior to that I still have to give a go. I hear that there's a beautiful daggerfall remake.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Khanstant posted:

It's also not true. I liked other Bethesda games but Fallout 4 and Starfield have just been huge lovely stinkers especially for Bethesda games. Fallout 4 was where they kinda forgot what they were good at and why, 76 was even more of a whiff of fundamental understanding of the appeal of their games. Starfield is the culmination of their fundamental error of understanding where the charm in their formula nests. It's like they see their past games make the big sales and assume it's because of their worst habits and systems.

I think here is a split in their fans. I always call fallout 4 a bad fallout game, but a good Bethesda game. But I played it in VR, with survival mode and lots of settlement mods. So for me it was about planning and executing supply runs that went ever deeper into Boston, and ultimately conquering the entire map.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just start playing a roleplaying bethesda game, swing a sword or fire a gun and say "what the gently caress is this clumsy, amateur poo poo?" and go play something that cares about being good.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, maybe their stories are really loving good or something but the gameplay feel just ain't right for me.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Sometimes I laugh to hard at these.

Oh and something, something, something, Star Citizen.

Rugganovich fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 11, 2023

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Khanstant posted:

It really won't. It's funny how much mythic power modders have accrued over time both because 92% of Bethesda game players never use a mod or aren't even playing where mods are possible and the mods themselves never have the big foundational changes that would be needed to make the game notably better.

I'm not sure how much stock to put in stats like this when according to the steam achievements only two thirds of players did the first quest and it quickly dips under 50% after that

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

trucutru posted:

I mean, maybe their stories are really loving good or something but the gameplay feel just ain't right for me.

Coherent, interesting stories that don't have plot holes you could drive a bus through are something Bethesda have never managed.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

trading with the Hull C sure sounds fun (from /r/starcitizen)

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

chadbear posted:

Cargo not fully physicalised boxes that you have to move manually, one by one. My immersion is ruined. 0/10.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Mu77ley posted:

Coherent, interesting stories that don't have plot holes you could drive a bus through are something Bethesda have never managed.

True. On the other hand, Bethesda actually releases their games, with incoherent/tedious stories riddled with huge plot holes, and those games are playable and sell well enough to keep their company going.

It might not be much to brag about, but it's at least better than, say, having a thousand-page script (also incoherent and tedious?) for a game that's never going to be released, and spending over a decade making people pay through the nose with nothing to show for it, all so some poor benighted team can keep working on The Mess Hall Scene.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

chadbear posted:

Star citizen : go to the box and wait

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

smoobles posted:

It's also objectively incorrect, so

in the context of Oblivion, FO3, and Skyrim at the very least, the most fleshed out character is the map, and for a lot of people the enjoyment came from finishing the tutorial and turning left instead of right-- exploring the handcrafted map and getting distracted from what you meant to by something that looks interesting instead a dozen times in succession.

Bethesda has made a lot of people I know who enjoyed those earlier games either "disillusioned with" or "just drop outright" Starfield because instead of getting distracted by something interesting on the way, the game seems to have said "well, people just fast travelled anyways, make the fast travel the required method of getting around" and put in 1,000 procgen planets full of nothing worth being distracted by.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Bethesda has made a lot of people I know who enjoyed those earlier games either "disillusioned with" or "just drop outright" Starfield because instead of getting distracted by something interesting on the way, the game seems to have said "well, people just fast travelled anyways, make the fast travel the required method of getting around" and put in 1,000 procgen planets full of nothing worth being distracted by.

While at the same time Starfield has sidequests that feel like they could carry a 50hour game by themselves if they weren't wrapped up so quickly by nature of the fact they are sidequests.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL
I hope CRoberts is not paying attention to UK news right now, otherwise SQ42 just got a revision to its forced-stealth-escape section

quote:

Terror suspect Daniel Khalife may have used bedsheets in his escape from Wandsworth prison, a court hearing has been told.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66774245

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Shanghaied posted:

Cargo not fully physicalised boxes that you have to move manually, one by one. My immersion is ruined. 0/10.

Help I'm being audited by space IRS and nowhere in the guide did it indicate I had to keep any records, do I still have to pay the fine?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Rugz posted:

I hope CRoberts is not paying attention to UK news right now, otherwise SQ42 just got a revision to its forced-stealth-escape section

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66774245

Escape from Wandsworth would be an interesting game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mellow_ posted:

Escape from Wandsworth would be an interesting game

Prison escape simulator sounds like a prime eurojank indie title