Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is kind-of-but-not-really true. Technically, each planetary orbit is a different "cell" but it's large enough to, technically, contain the entire star system (possibly beyond that but it would take unimaginably long for anyone to test it). So while you can, technically, fly from Earth to Pluto as one contiguous slow-boat flight, you're not actually flying to the game's instance of Pluto, you're just flying to where the Pluto model is in the game's instance of Earth.

It has a NMS-like system where when you arrive at a planet's orbit by fast-traveling there, that planet's orbit populates with NPC ships. If you slowboat from one planet to another, the entirety of space outside of the planet you launched from is empty - there are no NPC or enemy ships, no activity anywhere, etc.

So once you fly from Earth to Pluto, you can indeed click a button to fast-travel to Pluto's surface (the same way you could have just fast-traveled from Earth to Pluto's surface), but you won't e.g. find any stellar activity in Pluto's orbit the way you might if you actually fast-traveled to the "pluto's orbit" cell.

This is the kind of thing I meant when I compared the game to one of those Wild West tourist towns where storefronts are painted on big wooden cutouts. You get the illusion that all of this stuff exists, but it doesn't - it's just a facade painted on a cutout. It's immersive while you're traveling through it, but once you look outside the box or try to do anything except walk straight down the street you realize it's not an actual wild west town, just a very linear and directed experience that gives the illusion of a town. And that's cool, that can be a fun experience. But it's not the experience I wanted out of Starfield and I wasn't enjoying Starfield's version of it myself.

e: I'm not sure if they are actually considered Cells or not as far as the engine is concerned but that's the only way I can imagine it working as it does where activity is strictly limited to the planet you fast-traveled to, if they're not actual separate Creation Engine cells then it's just flat-out intentional bad design. (edit: the video below confirms that they are indeed separate cells)

e2: Also it's worth noting in the above case that if you do this Earth-to-Pluto flight you'll find that there's no collision on the Pluto model, it's not an actual game object that exists in the map, it's just an aesthetic skybox model that the game uses to measure your distance from Pluto at any given time.

I wonder if its possible to mod in a loading screen when you enter orbit of a planet and like, massively bump up the ship's speed to make that feasible to do within a short amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I have a ton of games to play through already so I've really got no interest in playing Starfi-

:stwoon:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Detective No. 27 posted:

There’s a preset that looks very similar to John Cleese. I used the same one and altered it a bit. I like making old guy characters in character creators. Back when Dragon Age Origins came out, I made an old man and the character was supposed to be a young prince. He looked way older than the king.

Cliff Racer is such a hilariously good Bethesda character name.

I hope you used the Parents trait lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

That looks less detailed and alive than Elex.

Bethesda put in some work to improve the population density of their cities with random NPCs walking around so they don't feel quite as empty as they did in previous games but they're still nowhere near as lively and lived-in as in a game like Witcher 3.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Bethesda put in some work to improve the population density of their cities with random NPCs walking around so they don't feel quite as empty as they did in previous games but they're still nowhere near as lively and lived-in as in a game like Witcher 3.

It's very Bethesda to struggle to get anywhere close to the quality of the 15 years old games in the same genre.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Velocity Raptor posted:

I've only got 90 mins in Starfield so far, and have only gotten to the point where I deliver the artifact (very light spoilers, the instigating event for the game)

And it's seemed to run fine for me so far, with it on an SSD and with a 4070.

I haven't really seen any of the complaints others have been taking about, but overall the game seems... fine.

I'm still real really in the game, but I don't really feel attached to anything. Not really meant as panning the game since I just started, but was definitely my first impression of the game.

The space flight seems awkward, and sluggish, though I'm used to playing Elite Dangerous, so make of that what you will.

My biggest complaint seems to be there are way too many clicks to do anything. To go to another star, hit Tab to open the menu, go to starmap, hit escape to go from planet view to system view, then escape again to go to Galaxy view, click your star, then hold X to set the course, then hold X one more time to confirm.

I totally see the skeleton of the fallout games here, though. I even picked up a magazine poster that gave me a permanent 5% fall damage reduction. I like the revamped lock picking some it's finally something different from what we've seen in Skyrim and fallout.

I like how the perks are handled in that before you can level one to the next tier, you need to finish a challenge related to the perk, such as 5 sneak attacks before you can level the stealth perk from 1 to 2.

I am looking forward to continuing tonight, though, with probably one of the first characters I am excited to play as in a Bethsoft game.

Good to see that humiliating Jeopardy loss didn't hold Cliff back from pursuing his dreams of being a space postie

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

announced at SAGE, a frogun sequel

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Frögun

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is that the game with the gun that shoots afros?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's short for frozen yogun

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hwurmp posted:

it's short for frozen yogun

:lemonho: That's good!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

anyone try this out yet? kinda looks like a banger https://store.steampowered.com/app/1608470/Warstride_Challenges/

gonna check out the demo later

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That's the absolute worst implementation of the terrible COD up and down recoil judder I've ever seen. The first two seconds of a weapon firing convinced me to never, ever play that game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

K8.0 posted:

That's the absolute worst implementation of the terrible COD up and down recoil judder I've ever seen. The first two seconds of a weapon firing convinced me to never, ever play that game.

What

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

0:58 in the second trailer. The spasm up and down is one of the worst things ever put into video games, and the slower you make it the worse it is. When it's like two seconds long it's abhorrent.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
That looks like it's just the player moving the mouse up after firing, I don't see any indication of ridiculous recoil at any other time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
went though the Black Labyrinth dlc for Amid Evil. it was a little underwhelming overall compared to how nutty the last couple zones in the base game become, but still a good way to spend a couple afternoons

Orv
May 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

It’s clearly an exaggeration for slow-mo, is nothing like CoD and lasts for a quarter of a second.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Do we have a Void Stranger thread do we have a Void Stranger thread I need help B129 is kicking my rear end

For those unaware, it's the latest game by System Erasure, the developers behind the beloved ZeroRanger. With Void Stranger, they've once again gone for a monochrome + single colour look, and once again, they've devised a story that is inherently unique to the medium of video games. But this time, instead of doing a trippy SHMUP, they've gone for a trippy sokoban puzzle game with bite sized levels. And it's even less straightforward than ZeroRanger.

It's very good. But also. I am not the best. At. Sokoban. And I would like help for B129 if anyone's past that.

Spoiler of course, but this is level B129 for anyone who might already be past it but forgot which level was it exactly.

My first order of business is to kill the hand and the snake towards the bottom with the thingy, but not sure what to do next. I can push the thingy to kill the other snake or the worm on the left, but that's not enough to break open the tiles around the stairs. I can make my way to the left, but if I bring the thingy to kill the worm, I don't see any way to bring the thingy back to the right side to kill the second snake. But if I push the thingy to the top to kill the second snake, I don't see any way to bring the thingy down to get to the corridor that goes left.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 10, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Artelier posted:

Do we have a Void Stranger thread do we have a Void Stranger thread I need help B129 is kicking my rear end
Sure do, it's exactly as CIA-redacted as you'd expect.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041253

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Artelier posted:

For those unaware, it's the latest game by System Erasure, the developers behind the beloved ZeroRanger. With Void Stranger, they've once again gone for a monochrome + single colour look, and once again, they've devised a story that is inherently unique to the medium of video games. But this time, instead of doing a trippy SHMUP, they've gone for a trippy sokoban puzzle game with bite sized levels. And it's even less straightforward than ZeroRanger.

It's very good. But also. I am not the best. At. Sokoban. And I would like help for B129 if anyone's past that.

Spoiler of course, but this is level B129 for anyone who might already be past it but forgot which level was it exactly.

My first order of business is to kill the hand and the snake towards the bottom with the thingy, but not sure what to do next. I can push the thingy to kill the other snake or the worm on the left, but that's not enough to break open the tiles around the stairs. I can make my way to the left, but if I bring the thingy to kill the worm, I don't see any way to bring the thingy back to the right side to kill the second snake. But if I push the thingy to the top to kill the second snake, I don't see any way to bring the thingy down to get to the corridor that goes left.

There exists a method for killing enemies without the statue.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Artelier posted:

You are correct that killing both the maggot on the left and the leech on top with the statue is impossible. You're going to need to find another way to take out one of them-- you have almost definitely witnessed this method so far but it's possible you missed it if you were skipping floors so I can spell it out below.

Clear a path so the leech in the middle walks into the maggot on the left, and they'll both die. They need to both try to enter the same tile simultaneously -- might need to adjust some tiles around to get the timing right.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thank you to everyone who posted tips! After I did my initial post, I had lunch, and somehow suddenly remembered the solution.

I will now haunt the official Void Stranger thread because this game is so good and I will probably need help again soon enough. I think my most likely GOTY so far, and this year has generally been killer for games

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Void Stranger is really good and everyone should try it regardless of their feelings about block-pushing puzzles. This one's in a league of its own.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I just realized that Half Life's 25th anniversary is coming up in a couple months. Seems like a good time to announce HL3.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

stay tuned for Half-Life: Emergence, the hot new hero-based team deathmatch FPS that everyone's fighting to play

"Crowbar This"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

I just realized that Half Life's 25th anniversary is coming up in a couple months. Seems like a good time to announce HL3.

You mean Half-Life Alyx 2?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jack Trades posted:

You mean Half-Life Alyx 2?

I wish. Half-Life nothing ever again. And no final chapter on the TF2 comic either just to spite me specifically.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Mordja posted:

Its gonna be episode 3

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

HL3 won't exist until GabeN's dead and some soul sucker is running Valve instead.

But by then Zoomers will be 40 and not even know wtf Half Life is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's actually a marketing stunt where everyone will have to wait until the literal half-life of Uranium-238 for HL3 to come out.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I don't know, Steely Dan is pretty popular with younger (and older, like me) folks right now. Maybe hipster gamers will reference it when they want to flex.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There's never going to be a Half-Life 3, or a Portal 3. Expectations for those titles would be impossibly high, Valve is way better off doing something different. Plus they make far more money making some exploitative garbage than an actual good game anyway, and their flat structure incentivizes making money above everything else.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The dark horse: Team Fortress 3

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

as opposed to most companies, where the goal is not to make money, but to dance

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sab669 posted:

uh, the place where skibidi toilet comes from, duh

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It would be so funny if they actually didn't make a HL3 after the HL Alyx ending

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

It's actually a marketing stunt where everyone will have to wait until the literal half-life of Uranium-238 for HL3 to come out.

This is a plausible theory too; Valve does love their ARGs

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
If valve were a publicly traded company that actually prioritized making money over literally everything else then we would have had 6 half lifes and portals and left 4 deads. Come on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Valve would be known as, "The Ricochet Company."