Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

ZombieCrew posted:

sir....Sir!.....SIR! 205 is overcooked! 203 is perfection.

E: also that dinner party is nuts. Why own a smoker if you're just gonna gently caress up ribs in an oven? Is this a close friend? Its very strange.
It is a family friend who’s a boomer :ms:

The oven ribs were for another guest who wanted to join the barbecue vibes but who refuses to eat smoked meat. Her favorite food is bacon. Also a boomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Anne Whateley posted:

The oven ribs were for another guest who wanted to join the barbecue vibes but who refuses to eat smoked meat. Her favorite food is bacon. Also a boomer

Wow... ...

I mean, my parents were boomers, but they were never that oblivious.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Did the smoker thread offend you recently? I'm not sure they deserve this kind of psychic damage.

Stories like this would be perfect say around the end of October.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Sitting here smelling this all day.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm a big believer in just lying to picky eaters

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm a big believer in just lying to picky eaters

I hope you’re kidding, because if you have ever lied to another adult about what is in the food you are feeding them, you are a massive piece of poo poo.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
It sounds like the perfect excuse for a second round where you actually get to control the process and show them what it's meant to be like.

Has anybody had experience with the newer Treager Ironwood models, Char-Griller gravity charcoal smoker or the Pit Boss Series 3 pellet smoker? I've got the original Ironwood 885 and while it performs well, I'm starting to get annoyed by the flimsy drip tray. The size is also a little in the larger side for just primarily myself.

I was thinking of either upgrading to another Traeger, or going a slightly different direction with the Char-Griller. My partner's dad has the Pit Boss but hasn't even taken it out of the box.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doom Rooster posted:

I hope you’re kidding, because if you have ever lied to another adult about what is in the food you are feeding them, you are a massive piece of poo poo.
I have not done that.
I have lied through omission about all the ingredients in a recepie all the time.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

I have not done that.
I have lied through omission about all the ingredients in a recepie all the time.

Lying through omission, is lying.

If someone has made it clear to you that they do not wish to ingest something, and you knowingly feed it to them without telling them, you are a massive piece of poo poo.

Regardless of your or their motivations, you do not get to be the arbiter of what other people should or should not eat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nah

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Doom Rooster posted:

Lying through omission, is lying.

If someone has made it clear to you that they do not wish to ingest something, and you knowingly feed it to them without telling them, you are a massive piece of poo poo.

Regardless of your or their motivations, you do not get to be the arbiter of what other people should or should not eat.

Talk about BBQ, this is boring

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I never smoke boneless pork shoulder - I use that for braised carnitas. But Costco had boneless shoulder on sale for like 1.50/lb or something ridiculous so I smoked like 10lbs worth and it turned out great.

Foiled it in a foil tray with some homemade chicken stock at around 170. Pulled it at 208 degrees, delicious.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’m thinking about dipping my toes into slow cooking and have been looking at different kamados. Is there a good site that does reviews or comparisons?

Recs are of course also welcome. I’ve been grilling on char coal for years on my weber but not much of a chef. I’d like to learn more on preppijg the meat myself along the way.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

I’m thinking about dipping my toes into slow cooking and have been looking at different kamados. Is there a good site that does reviews or comparisons?

Recs are of course also welcome. I’ve been grilling on char coal for years on my weber but not much of a chef. I’d like to learn more on preppijg the meat myself along the way.

If you have a Weber kettle already, you can do some fantastic slow cooks/smokes and try that out before you make an investment in a new grill or smoker. I've used a kettle for years and only recently picked up a pellet grill.

Amazingribs.com is a good resource for recipes though I'm not sure if they cover grills. There's also a ton of stuff on YouTube.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

LochNessMonster posted:

I have a big green egg and I love it. If I had to do it all over, I may have bought a kamado joe but I don’t have a dealer anywhere near me. It’s stupid simple to use. Equally easy to grill on or smoke on.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

LochNessMonster posted:

I got myself a vision kamado (the homedepot kamado brand) for super cheap ($350 cad) because some dude in my neighborhood moved and didn't have room on his deck. I'm loving it. It didn't come with a heat deflector so I haven't tried any super long smokes, but I've done lots of grilling and short smokes and it's a dream to use.

Kamado Joe tends to review well and has a fuckton of useful accessories.

From what I've seen, Big Green Egg is kind of like Traeger pellet grills; they hit the market first at a high price point, and never dropped the price even though other companies are putting same quality product out for cheaper.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I asked a grilling question in here before and hoping this is the correct spot, even though it’s primarily smoking. I scrolled down thru the sub and the only other gas grill thread I saw was closed and they were pointed here.

Anwyay! I’m very much a newbie, non American in the US who finally took the dive. My girlfriend is good at cooking, I don’t have the knack for it but this feels like a good teamwork hobby. We bought a boneless (wild fork was out of bone in) 3.7lb pork shoulder as our first proper run through, except for burgers we did on high heat the other night. While learning I’m trying to follow recipes on the Weber app fully to get an expectation base before experimenting, trying other recipes.

The only thing I couldn’t do was the water tray as it said to put between the flavor bars and the grates but on my 2 burner spirit there just isn’t space. Maybe take the grate above the burner off and put the tray in, even if it’ll be above the level of the one with the meat on? Most of the time this was done with the left burner mostly near the medium setting, the meat was above the right burner which was off and the ambient probe was next to it.

I did put a foil wrap of wood chips in too, but reading more makes me think I should’ve kept that pre heat going higher and longer to get them more smoking, but they definitely came out much darker and had a smell to them so maybe they helped. The meat itself is currently resting in the cooler for another hour, so I’ve not seen/tasted yet.

Dip in the graphs is when we took it out to foil wrap at 170.

How it looked taking out to do the wrap.

The app said to keep it between 250 and 300 the whole time, does the graph look like I did a good enough job keeping the heat regulated? The speed at which the meat took up temperature seems a good, smooth rate? I now realise I need to compensate for putting a slab of meat in is going to drop the grill temp down so I’ll have it higher next time, but hoping for a first go at this it’s mostly looking like we were on the right track! Looking forward to the most important part soon…

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That's stable as hell. Nice job!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks! Nice to know something went well given the lack of experience and investing a day in. Made for a good late night dinner and plenty of leftovers now.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Not BBQ, but usually grilled, and high effort, so seems like the right place?

Our chickens are finally really producing a bunch of eggs, and we have a surplus. So, I did what anyone would do with a bunch of extra eggs.

Time to make a massive batch of bratwurst.

About 32lbs of pork shoulder, 5lbs of fatback. Time to get grinding

Lol hell no.

Grinding any more than about 8lbs in the hand grinder gets really, really awful.

Ended up with more than 40lbs of these guys. It was raining tonight, so no grilling, and dug in before getting pictures.

My best batch yet. Will post grilled pics soon.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Those are some sexy-rear end grobe wursts.
Do you have an old-timey wurst-stuffing contraption as well? Because the hand-cranked grinder owns

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Those are some sexy-rear end grobe wursts.
Do you have an old-timey wurst-stuffing contraption as well? Because the hand-cranked grinder owns

Thanks!

I have a hand crank 5lb stuffer, but it is definitely not old-timey. Plastic handle, shiny stainless. 40lbs through that guy would suuuckkk. My usual batches are ~15lbs, and the stuffing is already a major pain.

This big of a batch was to christen my new 25lb electric stuffer.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well I’m doing baby backs and using two water pans (Weber kettle) with charcoal basket. I’m finally getting the temperature stable, but unfortunately the water in the pan above the coals has of course boiled off completely. In the meantime I’m working with wood chips, which of course means I have to open the lid constantly to add more chips. Next time I’ll add chunks. I’m doing a modified Minion method with the coals, so we shall see.

In other news, how can I smoke a brisket point in under 5 hours and have it still be good?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Buy great brisket from your local smoked meat vendor the night before, re warm it in the smoker and you can serve good brisket in about an hour.

smoke it for an hour or two then put it in the pressure cooker.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I finally got a smoker again after being without one for the last year (moved from a house to an apartment but I'm back in a house again). I got a Pit Boss tabletop pellet smoker/grill on clearance at Walmart for only $130. It has a very small surface area (1 main rack, small upper rack) but it's enough for my needs since it's just me and my wife. Other than that it seems very well built for the price. Technically it's portable if you have an electrical source but it weighs 50 pounds when it's full of pellets. Did a spatchcocked chicken on it which turned out well but I really want to do some pulled pork. Now I've just got to find my drat thermoworks smoke x thermometer.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I've not been motivated enough to use my smoker for the past however many months so decided to rectify that this last weekend.

In typical fashion, the beef ribs that should have only taken 6 hours needed a couple of hours longer, and I added too much liquid to the baked beans which made them soupy. The beef cheeks were also taking forever, so I popped then into a small foil tray with a tablespoon of broth and covered them. I was rather happy with how they turned out at least, and really happy with the smoke ring (yes I know it's means nothing).

My partner wanted to try a new vegan mac and cheese recipe but insisted it go into the smoker covered, which meant no toasty breadcrumb topping. Using wholemeal pasta also made it a tad dry.

I was also rather chuffed with the colour of the bark.

All in all, it was still a moderately successful smoke. Next time I'll be smoking for company, so I'll definitely probably crutch everything. It was just getting too late in the evening for me to wait for the last few degrees this time around.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
What color were you goin for? That bark looks excellent to me. A tender black metorite is my goal on beef. You could have added a crust to the mac and tossed it in the oven for a bit. No shame in using multiple cooking devices.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

ZombieCrew posted:

What color were you goin for? That bark looks excellent to me. A tender black metorite is my goal on beef. You could have added a crust to the mac and tossed it in the oven for a bit. No shame in using multiple cooking devices.

I've always seen other pictures of jet-black crust, so I'm happy it happened with my stuff. I used Pit Boss competition blend (the only pellets available close to me besides Traeger stuff), and a tube with the same pellets and cherry chips.

I suggested the mac go into the smoker uncovered because it wouldn't have a hope of developing a crusty top otherwise. It was still quite good, but I suspect my suggestion will be listened to next time.

One thing I've started doing recently is adding a little sprinkle of cracked pepper to the top of the beef. It's such a welcome flavour and texture once everything is cooked through. I also made a Kansas City style barbecue sauce, which went well with everything.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Whats your rub on the beef to begin with? I usually use a blend of kosher salt and course ground black pepper to start with. Probably 60% salt and 40% pepper by volume. Ill add garlic and mustard powder on the fly if i think about it.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

ZombieCrew posted:

Whats your rub on the beef to begin with? I usually use a blend of kosher salt and course ground black pepper to start with. Probably 60% salt and 40% pepper by volume. Ill add garlic and mustard powder on the fly if i think about it.

It's a blend of roughly equal parts ground black pepper and paprika, then smaller amounts of garlic/onion powder and salt. I've only recently found a store that sells cracked black pepper in a not-obnoxious grain size, but I'll keep using it now I've seen how well it enhances the meat.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That pic of vegan mac and cheese just completely smothered with huge cuts of meat is hilarious to me.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Did beef back ribs because Costco had them cheap. Would do again!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Beautiful

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
That all looks amazing. I need to stop looking at this thread. It's so hot and dry that I'm afraid to light the grill. It's not specifically banned, because this is Texas and good luck getting anyone to abide by that, but it probably should be. I don't wanna be the guy who turned the Great Drought of 2023 into the Great Fire of 2023.

I feel like the case for a pellet cooker or MES as a supplement for my trusty kettle is making itself.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

My Weber kettle ribs on Labor Day were actually pretty successful, they just took longer than they needed to (stall, maybe?) and I had to add water to the top water pan since it boiled off a couple hours into the smoke (it was directly over the coals). I don’t have photos of the ribs, but I finished them in the oven when I was satisfied that they’d gotten enough smoke. Had people over, got compliments. Most people inhaled them without even using BBQ sauce, so I consider this a win.

The brisket however didn’t go great, I didn’t smoke it at all. It just went into the pressure cooker since we didn’t have time, then roasted in oven. It was okay, just not how I’d have preferred. It was a bit dry, I probably roasted it a few minutes too long. Brisket: 2 Me: 0

Discussion Quorum posted:

That all looks amazing. I need to stop looking at this thread. It's so hot and dry that I'm afraid to light the grill. It's not specifically banned, because this is Texas and good luck getting anyone to abide by that, but it probably should be. I don't wanna be the guy who turned the Great Drought of 2023 into the Great Fire of 2023.

I feel like the case for a pellet cooker or MES as a supplement for my trusty kettle is making itself.

I’m in North Texas and we just got a poo poo ton of rain. Thank gently caress.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Ok so I didn’t bother trying to slow cook in my weber kettle bbq as I managed to score a great deal on a large kamado.

As it was recommended to not heat the kamado up above 200 degrees (celsius) the first 3 times, I bought a bunch of ribs. Made rub, sauce and spray and had a 4 hour session of smoke and fire over the weekend.

It was fun trying to dial in temperature control with the top vent and air intake slider in the bottom. Took some time to keep it steady but I got there after some tries.

The downside of this is that it tasted so good that I probably won’t be enjoying ribs in restaurants anymore. The upside is I’ll probably be cooking at least once a week!

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Not really slow cooking (tho I did put some pecan chunks on the fire for smoke), but using the Vortex to grill up some wings tonight. Made some macaroni salad to go with. Been sitting in the fridge for about a day with Jamaican jerk rub mixed with a bit of baking powder for cronch

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

JSmithOTI posted:

Not really slow cooking (tho I did put some pecan chunks on the fire for smoke), but using the Vortex to grill up some wings tonight. Made some macaroni salad to go with. Been sitting in the fridge for about a day with Jamaican jerk rub mixed with a bit of baking powder for cronch

That is how it's done!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Goddammit.

Sister’s baby shower is tomorrow and our friend was supposed to do a brisket. Well he’s got COVID so no drat brisket.

I’ve been putting off smoking anything for the past few weeks because I thought I was going to be eating his excellent brisket tomorrow. Not enough time for me to start smoking one and serve it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do that chuck roast I posted awhile back? Higher temp lower time, lots of beefy goodness