Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Always love to see someone get dragged back through a loophole.

"I'm not based in the UK, I shouldn't have to pay tax"

"You're literally a lord of the UK, shut the gently caress up Alan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'll take "What does 'noblesse oblige' mean in English custom and practise?" for 186 million please Alan.

Gonzo McFee posted:

They're still dorks, op
I helped set up a small village gala the other day, the sort of affair that 10 years ago would be decked out like a loyalist household in Antrim. They decided to go with a 'Parisien Cafe' theme so that they could stick a bunch of red white and blue tricolore bunting up "without looking like a national front rally."

:france:

So amazing work from the Brexiteers for turning britnat symbolism toxic among the radical woke demographics of "English pensioners who wear straw boaters and plan village fêtes" and "people who wear big fake gold chains to show that they're head of the parish council."
:frenchchefkiss:

Also excellent work from Sir Focus Groups and BNP Wes plastering all of their promotional material with butcher's apron motifs now that the people they're angling for with "we will restore respect to the countryside" have started associating it more with "yobs will stick fireworks in their anus and trash the hook a duck stall while being racist to the steel band, so we'd better avoid that kind of thing."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/WordMercenary/status/1700824751856341365?s=19

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

To be fair, the cinema had only closed a few months ago and they were working to re-open it, allegedly projection screens were torn and chairs destroyed, major damage done.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
hmm I bet nothing big has happened since the last Scottish referendum which might have changed some people’s minds

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

pantsfree posted:

To be fair, the cinema had only closed a few months ago and they were working to re-open it, allegedly projection screens were torn and chairs destroyed, major damage done.

On the other hand, Stella Creasy is an insufferable moron who should be clowned on at every opportunity

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Guavanaut posted:

The Tony Blair Institute for Saddam Totally Has A Missile That Can Hit Kent has a number of experts to warn us about insane conspiracy theories.

Funny, the Blair Witch Institute has been in the news in Finland this week because the former social democratic PM Sanna Marin applied for resignation from parliament to go to work for some Saudi money under Ol' Blue Eyes. Before the spring election she assured that she is not going to look for international jobs if she loses election. What a loving a disgrace.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Scottish independence polling still stubbornly seems to remain at 52% in support of the UK. Opinions are pretty entrenched.

On the plus side independence has a massive majority with under 50s, so we just need to wait for natural attrition in the voting population.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

"without looking like a national front rally."

"more of a front nationale merci"

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

For fucks sake Stella this country is loving miserable to live in most of the week, just let people have a cheeky rave so they can enjoy being in the company of others for once.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The only acceptable rave is ranting and raving at the local foreigns to tell them to go back to where they came from.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You had your state allotted celebratory time when Chuck became king.
And you can have your next one when Billy gets his turn.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Classic Met behaviour. Guessing he has a nickname on the whatsapp hate crimes group.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

"more of a front nationale merci"
Yeah I did find it amusing that they picked France as a go-to "we're very continental and welcoming and are not like that" style, but then again there's a bunch of cafes in Normandy that use British and American flags as "look, we're not the FN racists" signs so I guess it follows.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Lmao... there is literally no hope on offer

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1700785126777463083

And lol at Andrew Marr being the representative of the left wing...

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah I did find it amusing that they picked France as a go-to "we're very continental and welcoming and are not like that" style, but then again there's a bunch of cafes in Normandy that use British and American flags as "look, we're not the FN racists" signs so I guess it follows.

[outrageous Allo Allo accent] "I'm sorry vicar, but I cannot allow you in my French cafe with this overtly religious attire"

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Met Police Officer Brian "Cock Ripper" Jones.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Always love to see someone get dragged back through a loophole.

"I'm not based in the UK, I shouldn't have to pay tax"

"You're literally a lord of the UK, shut the gently caress up Alan."

I'm honestly surprised being a lord doesn't simply exempt you from tax

Sounds like the kind of perk lordship would come with

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

[outrageous Allo Allo accent] "I'm sorry vicar, but I cannot allow you in my French cafe with this overtly religious attire"
There actually was an argument between the vicar and the village chair over the subject of plastic seats, that resulted in a "I'm sorry reverend, but we need to keep this cafe open, so your god stuff will have to wait until we can return them to the church hall" rant from one of the straw hat men.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

Lmao... there is literally no hope on offer

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1700785126777463083

And lol at Andrew Marr being the representative of the left wing...

it's the fifth largest economy in the world

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
"the kind of public services and living that they have come to think they expect and deserve"

literally Better Things Aren't Possible, inspiring

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone familiar with the court system/jury system able to assuage my worry here? They've sent me a thing saying there's a long trial starting the day I'm supposed to start jury duty and a form I can fill in if I want to say why I should be exempt from it. I could do it pretty much any other time if they'd asked me the entire rest of the year but I have a holiday booked for a weekend starting on one of the fridays it would be going through. Says I should come "armed with evidence for any information provided on this form" on the day my duty is supposed to start if I put anything down on it.

If I just say that I've got it booked, bring evidence of the booking and write that exactly down on this form, is that likely to be the end of it or are they potentially gonna tell me "tough poo poo"? It's a stag weekend and we're driving over midday to get over there, I won't write this on the form but I could potentially get the train over to the place in the evening, at much greater expense and arrive at the place really late on the Friday, missing dinner and merriment and probably be tired as gently caress, essentially ruining one night of the two night thing I'm paying £200 or more for. I'd very much prefer not to do that though.

The email and the form are a bit unclear as to whether it''s a "hey it's fine if you say you can't do it, as long as you can do the 2 weeks minimum we initially said" or a "you actually have to provide a compelling reason why you can't do the long trial" thing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

thebardyspoon posted:

Anyone familiar with the court system/jury system able to assuage my worry here? They've sent me a thing saying there's a long trial starting the day I'm supposed to start jury duty and a form I can fill in if I want to say why I should be exempt from it. I could do it pretty much any other time if they'd asked me the entire rest of the year but I have a holiday booked for a weekend starting on one of the fridays it would be going through. Says I should come "armed with evidence for any information provided on this form" on the day my duty is supposed to start if I put anything down on it.

If I just say that I've got it booked, bring evidence of the booking and write that exactly down on this form, is that likely to be the end of it or are they potentially gonna tell me "tough poo poo"? It's a stag weekend and we're driving over midday to get over there, I won't write this on the form but I could potentially get the train over to the place in the evening, at much greater expense and arrive at the place really late on the Friday, missing dinner and merriment and probably be tired as gently caress, essentially ruining one night of the two night thing I'm paying £200 or more for. I'd very much prefer not to do that though.

The email and the form are a bit unclear as to whether it''s a "hey it's fine if you say you can't do it, as long as you can do the 2 weeks minimum we initially said" or a "you actually have to provide a compelling reason why you can't do the long trial" thing.

I think you'll be ok if you have evidence the holiday was booked before the jury service letter - that's the crucial bit!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Microplastics posted:

I'm honestly surprised being a lord doesn't simply exempt you from tax

Sounds like the kind of perk lordship would come with

We should really make more of our millionaires lords

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Angepain posted:

"the kind of public services and living that they have come to think they expect and deserve"

literally Better Things Aren't Possible, inspiring

Even more liberal, it's literally Current Things Aren't Possible

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
just make sure you go armed with evidence and not armed, with evidence

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thebardyspoon posted:

Say you cant do it because of the holiday and take a printed copy of the holiday confirmation that was received before you got the jury duty notice. They might not need the printed copy, but you never know.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Say you cant do it because of the holiday and take a printed copy of the holiday confirmation that was received before you got the jury duty notice. They might not need the printed copy, but you never know.

OK cool, yeah I assumed they'd want to see some evidence so that was the plan, I didn't book it myself, we've booked a place for all of us and just chucked our share at the guy who did the booking but I assume/hope his booking confirmation will be sufficient. That's gotta be a common enough situation right?

I'll honestly be really gutted if I have to take the train so I very much hope they just let me out of it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Welp, 8 week old daughter gets her jabs and got a fever that won't go away.

Into the hospital we go for loads of tests (including spinal fluid) and turns out it's covid (this is the first time we've knowingly come across it)

We figured it could be something else as my son was sent home from nursery last Tuesday for feeling out of sorts, but was better by Thursday.

I've had a bit of a sniffle since then but then only had a sore throat on Friday.

Daughter had her jab Thursday but only got a fever on Sat (queue hospital visit).

Wife woke up feeling like death on Sat, I feel burnt out Saturday night and wake up feeling like death today.

Son is running around without a bloody care on the world now but it probably originated with him.

Now we're of two minds to send him back to nursery tomorrow.

My wife is stuck at the hospital with our daughter until at least Wednesday.

I'm struggling to keep my eyes open (and will probably have to call sick into work anyway).

We haven't all tested for it, but there's no way our daughter could have got it from anyone other than us so it's a safe bet it's what we have.

On the one hand there's nothing legally stopping me from putting him back in, it's probably where he got it from (and likely will again), but on the other it feels kinda lovely despite how stuck I am for looking after him until my wife's back.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sorry to hear, have you informed the nursery that your son could have gotten it from there?
It could be from anywhere, and he could have infected them, so prob best to ask and see if they had it spread.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

happyhippy posted:

Sorry to hear, have you informed the nursery that your son could have gotten it from there?
It could be from anywhere, and he could have infected them, so prob best to ask and see if they had it spread.

Not yet. Only really found out from the nurse at the hospital two hours ago.

Currently trying to feed and get a toddler bathed/to bed while it feels like my eyes are on fire and my brain is leaking out my nose while someone sits on my chest.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, I don't know) I got an inhaler a month or so back to help deal with the almost chronic chesty cough I've had over the last year.

I'm 40 and overweight (so not exactly the healthiest specimen) but all those stories of folk having breathing issues and dying has me a tiny bit worried given all the chest infections and coughing issues I've had.

Will probably ring the doctor tomorrow to double check.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

I'm angry, angry I missed it! I'm just down the road (I'm probably way too old for an illegal rave these days but I can pretend).

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What's ironic about something that has happened before, happening again?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Got to say - much as Blair was a poo poo, at least "Things can only get better" was catchier than new new labour's "sorry, things can only get worse."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Got to say - much as Blair was a poo poo, at least "Things can only get better" was catchier than new new labour's "sorry, things can only get worse."

"we have to take two steps back so that we can take one step forward"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1XPW05XIVQ

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Constant rolling thunder here, nice to have a break from the heat.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/dinosofos/status/1700899106799927540?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
jesus christ