Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Checks out.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Aaahh, this must be why Tux keeps trying to eat my toes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Today I went to the Flowers and Birds Parks in Kakegawa, Japan (Kakegawa Kachouen), because I'd heard good things about it and it seemed like a nice place.
I strongly disagree, it was not a nice place.

If you want to know the details why, you can read my post in the Japan thread with Content Warning attached.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
She Fluffenchoppin'

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Serra's super cute. Give her a scritch for me.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Pesto is having some better days and some rough days. Yesterday was a good one for him but today... he's not his best... ugh, his vent area looks sore.

We're still doing the antibiotics but I'm not seeing the improvements I was hoping for. I think I should ask for an anti-inflammatory as well.

Poor Dijon is spending his days trying to cheer his friend up but he's also refusing to preen Pesto's cheeks even though he keeps asking. :(

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Here he was this morning. You can understand why I was certain I was going to lose him at some point today. I couldn't handle being away at work and had to leave - I'm actually at risk of being laid off at this point. I was pretty torn up when Mayo died and this I'd all public facing work and I don't hide my emotions well.

Now that it's evening he's looking a bit better. He's preening. He's eating millet. He had a huge dump. However, he's still mostly sleeping.

What should I even expect at this point?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Are you in an area with a lot of wildfire smoke? Is it possible particulates are bothering him and an air purifier could help? :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Pesto is having some better days and some rough days. Yesterday was a good one for him but today... he's not his best... ugh, his vent area looks sore.

We're still doing the antibiotics but I'm not seeing the improvements I was hoping for. I think I should ask for an anti-inflammatory as well.

Poor Dijon is spending his days trying to cheer his friend up but he's also refusing to preen Pesto's cheeks even though he keeps asking. :(

in re antiinflams metacam is very well tolerated in birds at the proper dosage and would be fine to give him if you get some. our vet was very pro putting ours on courses of it when necessary

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Help me bird people, I have a sudden urgent need for another bird name.

My local magpies, Freckles (female) and Pancake (male), turned out to have fledged three chicks this year, not the two I was expecting. I was planning to name the chicks Bubble and Squeak, but now either need a third name that fits with those, or a new set of 3 names. For what it's worth, Australian magpies are only reliably dimorphic from age 3 or 4.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GotLag posted:

My local magpies, Freckles (female) and Pancake (male), turned out to have fledged three chicks this year, not the two I was expecting. I was planning to name the chicks Bubble and Squeak, but now either need a third name that fits with those, or a new set of 3 names. For what it's worth, Australian magpies are only reliably dimorphic from age 3 or 4.

flapjack(s) while generally a synonym for pancake would be a good birdlet name imo

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Freckles is Freckles because she has white spots on the left side of her face (old injury?), Pancake got his name after I named their first chick Pikelet (in Australian English a pikelet is a small pancake). RIP Pikelet, lost to a severe windstorm a week after fledging :(

Edit:

mediaphage posted:

flapjack(s) while generally a synonym for pancake would be a good birdlet name imo

On the shortlist, thanks

GotLag fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 10, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I will never tire of the sound of beak chewing crisp fruit

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

Snap, Crackle and Pop.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GotLag posted:

Bubble, Squeak, and Beer.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Bangers, the perfect breakfast sidekick for bubble & squeak.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

This doofus pooped on my carpet.

I was working out in the garage, and he dropped by to see what was going on, and when I went inside to get him a snack he just...followed me in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well that's what you get for not giving them a snack too! :colbert:

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

The snack was for them. Poor little* guy was just impatient for cheese.

*Not poor or little, possibly not a guy I didn't check the back properly

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I wish I had cheese birds where I lived.

So Pesto still won't let me administer scritches to him even in his more subdued state. Except last night while it was dark, I managed to sneak some good scritches in. He leaned into it and presented different parts to scritch until he realized it was my finger. Then he tried to kill the finger with all his weakened budgie might. He won.

I was able to scritch Dijon with a q-tip. It was cute.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra has leapt onto the NOT ALLOWED shelf. Vault Boy apparently doesn't scare her off anymore.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Pesto's still having a rough time. We just added metacam to the mix and I'm.hoping so much that it will help alleviate any swelling and pain he's having.

But he's starting to lose more and more of his light if I'm being completely honest.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Pesto's still having a rough time. We just added metacam to the mix and I'm.hoping so much that it will help alleviate any swelling and pain he's having.

But he's starting to lose more and more of his light if I'm being completely honest.

Have you gotten a full workup on him? Bloodwork, X-ray, CT scans, things of that nature. The chronic symptoms line up with aspergillosis but they overlap with so many other things it seems like getting a true diagnosis would help.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

:sympathy:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

The avian vet in the city doesn't have any openings until the 21st of November. The best I've been able to do for him under my current circumstances are zoom calls with an avian/herp vet.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Wishing the best for the little green one

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

thinking of you and Pesto, Plant :(

so much love.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
No matter what, Pesto lives in a home full of love. He couldn't be any luckier, and I bet he knows it.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Skimmed the first post and a few pages, not sure if I missed it but would love some help/recommendation.

Years ago when we got our caiques we got rid of all of our nonstick cookware and have been using stainless for everything. I've wanted to get a nonstick skillet for my kitchen that would be parrot safe, but after reaching out and/or googling my results are always so mixed that I've never wanted to even take the risk. I know teflon/etc other chemicals are off limits, but would any of the hexclad/ceramic/etc brands be safe, or does anyone have a site with good referrals for brands? The bird forums are all over the place with respones and I'd rather not take a risk, but I have to assume there is something available that wouldn't be risky for them.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Personally I would not use any nonstick cookware for reasons other than keeping birds in the household. But, if I was going to, I would assume every one of the coatings will be harmful to smallish, fragile creatures unless the manufacturer at a minimum offers an explicit guarantee.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

LonsomeSon posted:

Personally I would not use any nonstick cookware for reasons other than keeping birds in the household. But, if I was going to, I would assume every one of the coatings will be harmful to smallish, fragile creatures unless the manufacturer at a minimum offers an explicit guarantee.

Yeah that is what we've been doing, I've emailed a bunch of different manufacturers and besides Kitchenaid all of the answers felt very "maybe probably" vs definitive. I'm fine going without but wasn't sure if there was a brand I had written off that was actually good.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Honesty post time: I have nonstick pans and regularly use them. My birds are in the house. The kitchen is the room beside the bird room (the living room and my bedroom are far too cold to keep the birds because of central AC issues, even though it's farther from the kitchen). I have been using nonstick pans for a year since moving into this apartment and my birds have been fine.

From all the research I've done, nonstick teflon pans off gassing is what can quickly kill your birds. To that end, I never ever ever leave a pan unattended, unless it is gently simmering a stew or something with a lot of liquid. Everything else gets cooked safely with me constantly present, kitchen door closed, vent hood on max and bird room door closed. I myself strictly adhere to these rules and I've never had a close call. That being said, my sister came to stay with me, and despite telling her explicitly and directly not to use the nonstick pans for high-heat cooking, I don't think other people hold the birds high on their own internal priority list. My sister did high-heat cooking and I lost my poo poo, immediately shut the kitchen down, opened the balcony door for fresh air and held the pan up to the vent hood until it stopped smoking. My sister didn't do it on purpose, it's just most regular people don't constantly think about a pet that isn't theirs. My birds haven't shown any signs of illness.

Now, I don't want to say what I'm doing is right. I also don't want to say the fear of teflon pans are overblown. I will however say that from what I've read online, the biggest issue with nonstick pans is when the teflon starts burning and off gassing, which takes a pretty darned determined effort to do, or abundant stupidity. (Most) Oil starts smoking before teflon does. For example, I only use extra virgin oil for cooking, and it starts to smoke between 163-190ºC. Teflon starts to off gas at 260ºC. I caught my sister that day with olive oil in the pan that was smoking and it's why I lost my head.

Or avoid all this headache and get yourself nonstick ceramic pans. They're more expensive, but more durable and just as nonstick as teflon.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Even if you don't have birds, you're not supposed to cook with non-stick pans on high heat if you don't want to end up trashing them.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Qubee posted:

Or avoid all this headache and get yourself nonstick ceramic pans. They're more expensive, but more durable and just as nonstick as teflon.

Yeah these will never see anything above medium-low as it's strictly an eggs/omelette pan that I really miss. My big concern was just it being unattended because it does happen sometimes, but nonstick ceramic suggestions would be appreciated. Everything else is stainless, and I also read the horror stories of those slowcooker liners/nonstick parchment paper dangers and only buy the "natural" stuff at.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Plant MONSTER. posted:

:sympathy: Nthing my sympathies and I'm keeping little Pesto in my thoughts. I hope like hell it's just a low point and he bounces back soon.

I also want to introduce Zelda (left) to the thread. She is a rescue I picked up from a breeder who also does rescue/rehab, so I don't know anything about her history or how old she is. I actually got her a couple days after I lost Drew; any time I went out I felt horrible leaving Link all alone. I am assuming pet shop bird that, given how reluctant she is to ever get on my finger, was confined to her cage for most of her life. Regardless what she thinks of me though, she and Link hit it off pretty much immediately. He regularly tries to put the moves on her and she must be into it because then they do their little "okay now you barf into my mouth" ritual. She is much louder than Link or Drew, and could be mistaken for a smoke detector with a low battery. Or the chirp a car alarm makes when you set it.

She can be lured with millet onto my hands, only if Link goes first. I'm hoping she chills out a bit over time and learns to be held, but other than that she's settled in really nicely. Her wings are very lightly clipped, she can still fly but it's harder and I think she doesn't maneuver as well as she would normally, so that might be affecting her attitude also? She's dropped a couple of the clipped feathers so fingers crossed that once she's got her flying confidence back she gets less skittish.

As for frying pans: Just get some cast iron. I gave up on non-stick a long time ago, the pans rarely last more than a year or two even being careful, and you only have to be forgetful once and overheat it and it's destroyed forever. I had a non-stick that I received as a gift that I stopped using when I got my birds, my girlfriend would use it occasionally until she smoked some oil on it and we both got a little paranoid and then threw it out.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Aww, Zelda! Enjoy having your home graced by an actual princess! Funny that she out volumes your boys. My lady bird was more demure with her calls.

Keep luring her in with food! I'm still working on Dijon. He's crazy skittish and flighty and by far the most acrobatic budgie I've had. His wing control is seriously impressive.

Pesto continues to do his very best. He's eating and drinking and even did a cool parkour trick.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the “ceramic” pans are fine. teflon can actually be fine too if you are careful with it (and to be honest there’s no hard proof it’s toxic just a lot of anecdotal evidence that it might be but still too much risk for my adhd rear end)

but yeah i just buy a ceramic pan every couple years now or whatever and they’re very needs suiting. mostly just use it for omelettes anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Both budgies are grinding their beaks. I missed hearing both of them go at the same time!