Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bastard Tetris posted:

Three years ago today a bunch of Trump supporters had a boat parade and sunk each other with wakes:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-boat-parade-texas-disrupted-when-several-boats-sink-n1239427

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5YPCvowwJc&t=38s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I'm not sure I'd ever order meatloaf at a restaurant anyway, let alone force someone else to get it also

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

if I was at dinner with trump and he demanded I order meatloaf I'd simply say "gently caress you" and order prime rib

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Donnie, this isn’t a date, how many times I gotta turn you down?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the US Air Force was extremely bitter that space exploration was made a civilian responsibility instead of letting the military control it, and spent the 1950s and 60s trying to compete with NASA and wasted big piles of taxpayer money on a shittier and less successful parallel manned space program

they wanted, among other things, a separate US Air Force astronaut corps, a mass produced Air Force variant of the Gemini space capsules, an orbital spaceplane, and an Air Force space station, and could not provide a compelling use case for any of them, or any explanation for what exactly they would do, except that NASA had them and they wanted some of their own

a lot of the development work for this stuff was actually done, and in particular the Air Force's space plane was pretty close to being ready to build before getting cancelled, but the problem of being consistently unable to come up with any practical use for their space toys eventually got the budget hawks on their case

ironically the Soviets actually did secretly launch a couple of armed manned spacecraft disguised as civilian Salyut stations, so there would have hypothetically been a use case for an Air Force space fleet, but nobody knew that until after the Cold War was over (also the Soviets quickly decided it was stupid and pointless and discontinued the program)

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 07:04 on Sep 10, 2023

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

the US Air Force was extremely bitter that space exploration was made a civilian responsibility instead of letting the military control it, and spent the 1950s and 60s trying to compete with NASA and wasted big piles of taxpayer money on a shittier and less successful parallel manned space program

they wanted, among other things, a separate US Air Force astronaut corps, a mass produced Air Force variant of the Gemini space capsules, an orbital spaceplane, and an Air Force space station, and could not provide a compelling use case for any of them, or any explanation for what exactly they would do, except that NASA had them and they wanted some of their own

a lot of the development work for this stuff was actually done, and in particular the Air Force's space plane was pretty close to being ready to build before getting cancelled, but the problem of being consistently unable to come up with any practical use for their space toys eventually got the budget hawks on their case

ironically the Soviets actually did secretly launch a couple of armed manned spacecraft disguised as civilian Salyut stations, so there would have hypothetically been a use case for an Air Force space fleet, but nobody knew that until after the Cold War was over (also the Soviets quickly decided it was stupid and pointless and discontinued the program)

lol if you think the US doesn't have any offensive hardware up there

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Spergin Morlock posted:

all instances of the us flag are offensive

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

if I was at dinner with trump and he demanded I order meatloaf I'd simply say "gently caress you" and order prime rib

I'd do anything for Trump but I won't do that

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

yeah but it’s all unmanned, they never put actual human soldiers up there to hang out with their fingers on the triggers

they wanted to, though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Spergin Morlock posted:

what sort of stuff do they have?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

what sort of stuff do they have?

there's gonna be armed satellites but i don't see what else there could be unless there's secret gun turrets on the moon

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they definitely put weapons into orbit, but that doesn't mean any of it is actually useful or even functional. the us military simply loves its ruinously expensive boondoggles too much to not send some to space. as for the exact nature and quantity of these weapons, i dunno.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the Air Force wanted a manned surveillance satellite up there, a tiny little space station serviced by Gemini capsules with a couple of guys in it whose job was to look at photographs.

they developed a special Air Force-only Gemini variant with a hatch in the back, built one and even flew it in space as an unmanned test mission, and built a bunch of the hardware for one of the space stations itself before it got canned.

the toilet built for it actually did go into space later on NASA's Skylab station, so it wasn't a complete waste of time

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I feel like the Air Force specifically shouldn't be sending things into space because the defining feature of space is its lack of air.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ClassActionFursuit posted:

I feel like the Air Force specifically shouldn't be sending things into space because the defining feature of space is its lack of air.

it works because the defining feature of the usaf is huffing your own farts

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Sounds like all of this could have been avoided by the United States making some kind of Space Force, half a century + before Trump made one :trumpsmug:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

Moonraker was a documentary

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Lord of Pie posted:

Space Cowboys was a documentary

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

ClassActionFursuit posted:

the air is inside the capsule.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Lol at eyeing NASA's tiny insufficient funding and being like "I want this"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Regarde Aduck posted:

there's gonna be armed satellites but i don't see what else there could be unless there's secret gun turrets on the moon

There are such turrets. Kotaku writer turned Congressional candidate Brianna Wu told me that governments and corporations had moon weapons and only the power of a junior congresswoman from oregon could stop them from being fired at God fearing Americans.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Obama having gay sex in his car with his driver.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/PoliticsMoments/status/1700871949776265513?s=20

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Whilst smoking crack no less

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

whomst amongst ust

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Animal-Mother posted:

I remember the fundies back then being insistent that Noah's ark had been found but the Soviets covered it up to protect godless communism. Not really sure how Mt. Ararat would be in their sphere of influence.

iirc from "In Search of Noah's Ark" the story was that a russian aviator found the ark right before the revolution, the czar sent an expedition, and then the bolsheviks burned/buried the records

fake edit yeop:

a little extra bit:

Cummings discovered a new lead in an article from the October 6, 1945 issue of the Russian-language magazine Rosseya, which was similar to Gurley's Roskovitsky account. The Rosseya article, written by former Russian officer Alexander A. Koor, placed the tsar's expedition in December 1917, and described the Ark as measuring 500 feet (150 m) long, 83 feet (25 m) wide, and 50 feet (15 m) high. Koor's version ended with a rumor that the expedition's report was intercepted by Leon Trotsky, who had the courier shot.[66]: 55–60  Cummings later contacted Koor, who said he had served in the Ararat region in 1915, and heard of the Ark expedition from fellow officers he met in 1921. This was enough to convince Cummings that Koor had not simply plagiarized the New Eden article.[66]: 61–64  An amateur archaeologist, Koor also claimed to have discovered cuneiform inscriptions at Ararat describing the story of the Flood.[60]: 87  Following his correspondence with Cummings, Koor would take an interest in promoting the discredited Book of Veles.[77]

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Brilliant photo of Christie looking like a man who was forced to order meatloaf.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Whilst smoking crack no less

I don't know why he has to feel like he has to keep appealing to the average american

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
theres nothing wrong with meatloaf except the ones covered in bacon. that poo poo never cooks properly and is always limp as gently caress

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

AnimeIsTrash posted:

... yeah? Do you remember the details :ohdear:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Private Cumshoe posted:

... yeah? Do you remember the details :ohdear:

cumshitter was the driver is what i remember hearing about

free cumshitter

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Large Testicles posted:

theres nothing wrong with meatloaf except the ones covered in bacon. that poo poo never cooks properly and is always limp as gently caress

Meatloaf is fine, but I'd never order it at a restaurant

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
bacon is supposed to go inside the meatloaf, not outside of it

just fry the bacon quickly, remove some of the grease and then roll it up and place it into the center of the loaf for some extra flavor. also the remaining grease will keep the inside of the loaf nice and moist too

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Adding bacon to meatloaf :psyduck:

A properly seasoned meatloaf won't need the bacon to be flavorful and I imagine the bacon would overpower an underseasoned one

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/irwegwert/status/1701119191712219364?t=cdg01evEjYpEZITo49Wayg&s=19

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Horny on main is the most humanizing thing he's done

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1262020427582451717

(Plague!)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Meatloaf is fine, but I'd never order it at a restaurant

there is precisely one restaurant i would order meatloaf at, and it would be as a meatloaf grinder (hoagie, hero, sub, whatever inferior word you use). chef sue's meatloaf was outta this fuckin' world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

obama smoking crack and having gay sex in his limo