Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

MrMojok posted:

Why don’t you put her in charge! :qq:

Hands down best line in the film. Hudson probably has all of my top lines, but this one is just so good. Gets a big laugh at repertory theatres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Hands down best line in the film. Hudson probably has all of my top lines, but this one is just so good. Gets a big laugh at repertory theatres.

It works on multiple levels too. Obviously, you're not putting the little girl in charge.

And yet in retrospect, maybe that would be the best decision.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, this got the biggest audience laugh of any lines when it first came out in 1986. I can’t even remember how many times I went to see it, but this got the biggest one every time.

“Get away from her you bitch!” got an overall bigger reaction, but it was more squeals of excitement and cheers.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mister Speaker posted:

My favorite line in the movie is...

Ripley lays out her plan which is completely logical and Hudson just says immediately fuckin' A. She's god drat right. Let's do this poo poo.

edit: timestamp corrected, hudson does a 180 in 2 seconds lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnHmUk_J6xQ&t=22s

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 10, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My favorite line in the movie is...

Ripley lays out her plan which is completely logical and Hudson just says immediately fuckin' A. She's god drat right. Let's do this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnHmUk_J6xQ

Same. You just got me fired up thinking about it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Is there any EU stuff that follows Call from Resurrection?
There was a novel called “Aliens: Original Sin” that served as a sequel to Alien Resurrection, and has Call, Ripley 8, Johner, etc.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah like to me this just reeks of after-the-fact plot spackle to try and wave away some glaring problems
That’s because that’s precisely what it was - the book came out well after the movie did.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

It's incredibly well done & has Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross putting in some great score work too.
Man some of the costumes and stuff are great but it's dumb as hell and ideologically incoherent.

Edit: Also a major subplot is semen theft goddamn that sucks so much.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I don’t think anyone expected that even her.

She has a line about Kane seeing hundreds of eggs in the ship, she's well aware of the possibility.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

redshirt posted:

That was one of the most brilliant parts of Aliens. You got all these gung ho Marines with lots of guns, and Newt is like "it won't matter". And she's right, and super smart, and hides at all the right times.

I love Newt so much.

That's one of the things about the marines, you can tell they don't really know what they're doing and that their real job is mostly putting the boots to colonists.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I don't agree with that

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
they put the d to arcturian poontang, too

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
In space no crayon is safe

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
So what happened to the hamsters in Aliens?
We see hamster cages when they are first entering Hadley's Hope.
Did the Aliens get them, Newt eat them to survive, or was there a hamster colony safe and snug somewhere before they got nuked for no reason.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

happyhippy posted:

Did the Aliens get them, Newt eat them to survive, or was there a hamster colony safe and snug somewhere before they got nuked for no reason.

No Planet For Any Hamsters.

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Jonesy dies in hypersleep. Ripley adopts the hamsters as a means of processing her unresolved guilt at being a bad pet-owner. I don't know how the writers missed such an obvious subplot.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What do the Xeno's eat?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

redshirt posted:

What do the Xeno's eat?

Hearts, for one :getin:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

redshirt posted:

What do the Xeno's eat?

They're like bugs so they can eat all the crackers in the pantries of LV 426 and leave little brown spots on the shelf paper

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Alien has an increasingly-desperate crew still grieving the gnarly death of one of their own, while also trying to dodge the thing that ate its way out of his chest and is growing at a frightening rate and picking off the remaining crew one by one. No blood found when Parker recovered the flame unit, so the assumption is that Dallas got taken somewhere while still alive (and probably going to become another host, somehow).

I wonder, given how fast the thing grows, if the crew ever worried about or considered that it could get too big for the Nostromo itself? FOr all they knew, that fucker might get 30 feet tall and start busting holes in the ship. Or, they could use it's enormous size to their advantage by staying in small tight areas.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Your average Xeno can't reproduce, can they?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

happyhippy posted:

I just assumed Ripley saved them by taking a slight unshown detour on the way out like in Super Metroid and there's some separate EEV with a full happy hamster colony still chugging through space somewhere. :D

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

E: lol https://www.alien-covenant.com/topic/12726

Biplane fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 10, 2023

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Can't not post this

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redshirt posted:

Your average Xeno can't reproduce, can they?

They can “egg-morph” a victim to produce a new egg and facehugger to nail another victim. See: the deleted scene from ‘Alien’ (restored in the director’s cut).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

MrMojok posted:

LOOK, if just one of those things gets into this thread, then that will be all!

Then all of this, these bullshit posts that you think are so important, you can just kiss all of that goodbye!

I don't know if it was an acting choice on the part of the background extra or a direction but the hand reaching into frame to get the paperwork back when she dramatically snatches it up to accentuate "this bullshit" and her pulling it further away before slamming it back on the table is absolutely inspired.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

I don't know if it was an acting choice on the part of the background extra or a direction but the hand reaching into frame to get the paperwork back when she dramatically snatches it up to accentuate "this bullshit" and her pulling it further away before slamming it back on the table is absolutely inspired.

If it was me I'd be pissed too she wasn't even talking to that guy.

Lady, I know you're mad and all but now I have to share my neighbor's handout and thats the loving worst.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ma'am, ma'am that's not even about space colonies or the nostromo or anything that's my pitch for the WY gives back to crippled kids initiative i was presenting in this meeting room after this one is over

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Owlbear Camus posted:

ma'am, ma'am that's not even about space colonies or the nostromo or anything that's my pitch for the WY gives back to crippled kids initiative i was presenting in this meeting room after this one is over

You can kiss that goodbye too!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Torquemada posted:

You can kiss that goodbye too!

Weyland Operation Use Crippled Children for Xeno Hosts (“After all, they won’t be able to escape the facehuggers, sir”) is a go then.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What do you think would be the average Predator to Xeno ratio? 6 to 1? More? Less?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
We see earth in Prometheus, and in Resurrection, right? Any other times we see earth? Not counting AvP obviously

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

We see earth in Prometheus, and in Resurrection, right? Any other times we see earth? Not counting AvP obviously

You see it from orbit at the start of Aliens when Ripley is on Gateway Station.

Other than that, no. It comes up in the comics and novels though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

You see it from orbit at the start of Aliens when Ripley is on Gateway Station.

Other than that, no. It comes up in the comics and novels though.

Does Ripley have that beautiful fade away with Earth, or is it some other planet?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redshirt posted:

Does Ripley have that beautiful fade away with Earth, or is it some other planet?

What do you mean?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I reinstalled AvP2010 last night because I felt like playing a xeno and I don't think there are any recent games that do that.

It's fun. Gonna do the campaign until I get bored which will be pretty fast probably.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

What do you mean?

There's a scene with a face shot of Ripley, that dissolves into a planet. I assume Earth.

Early in the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

What do you mean?

Maybe referring to the great fade to the planet in Alien 3

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Maybe referring to the great fade to the planet in Alien 3

No, early on in Aliens, when she's still on/about Earth. The shot goes from a close up of Ripley and dissolves into Earth.

I think.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

redshirt posted:

No, early on in Aliens, when she's still on/about Earth. The shot goes from a close up of Ripley and dissolves into Earth.

I think.

I watched it again last week and you are correct. It was the special edition though, I can't remember if that poo poo is in the original cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

redshirt posted:

I think.

Isn't it her the hypersleep pod glass that transitions into Earth's atmosphere? Her face is obviously visible under it.