Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moose_Knuck posted:

Finally got around to playing this game after all these years and it's pretty decent. It's gotta be said, though, that the amount of bear asses collected per bit of good story content is incomprehensible.
the ratio gets a lot better once you're out of arr. you still have to do some random tasks sometimes but they're way better at like, having it flow somewhat naturally and not just shunting you around because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also why wasnt red chocobo an option for most formidable foe

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Just a few weeks ago I barely knew what a setup marker for clock spots was and now I'm gettting stuck in reclear trap parties like a champ. Progress!

I swear every P9S clear party is at best a meteors prog.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
genuine question: speaking of difficult raids, i'm going to stop stalling and get into EW. how is the normal content path? i don't think i'll ever be good enough to memorize the dances for savages or w/e but i don't want to look like an idiot in duty finder. is there any previous content that would be good training?

i know how to match up the tiles on that big shb cube boss's front with the floor, and slow clocks vs fast clocks in that one ivalice raid, and i know prime numbers and multiples of five for the other one, and how to dodge square enix hq and the trains in the niers. is it really just practice and accepting i'll fail a few times? i don't want to make any parties mad at me. I don't like cheesing things with mtq videos any more, though they are informative.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

I voted Lyna but tbh as long as you don’t vote for a main character, your vote is valid.

Emet or G’raha are still probably going to win regardless but still.

I also voted for Lyna. I wanna know how she’s doing! Is she thriving on her own? Please be thriving

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Jonny 290 posted:

genuine question: speaking of difficult raids, i'm going to stop stalling and get into EW. how is the normal content path? i don't think i'll ever be good enough to memorize the dances for savages or w/e but i don't want to look like an idiot in duty finder. is there any previous content that would be good training?

i know how to match up the tiles on that big shb cube boss's front with the floor, and slow clocks vs fast clocks in that one ivalice raid, and i know prime numbers and multiples of five for the other one, and how to dodge square enix hq and the trains in the niers. is it really just practice and accepting i'll fail a few times? i don't want to make any parties mad at me. I don't like cheesing things with mtq videos any more, though they are informative.

The easy answer is nobody is going to be mad at you for dying in normal raids, and the EW ones are a pretty good ramp up in difficulty, they don't require anything more complex than the stuff you've listed here. They also tend to telegraph what is happening better than alliance raids (which are designed to kill you more liberally if you're not paying attention specifically because there's 24 people rather than 8).

But if you want previous content, doing the Stormblood and ShB normal raids isn't a terrible idea.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
If anyone gets salty about failing mechanics in normal raids/dungeons/trials that you've never seen before they're a jerk in my opinion. However, as far as harder content goes I can say that progging savage this tier has made me a better player overall. It's a lot easier to read an Alliance Raid boss when you've seen the mechanics elsewhere and this boss is giving you 5 whole seconds to react rather than snapshotting you for not standing in your spot.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Joe Chip posted:

If anyone gets salty about failing mechanics in normal raids/dungeons/trials that you've never seen before they're a jerk in my opinion. However, as far as harder content goes I can say that progging savage this tier has made me a better player overall. It's a lot easier to read an Alliance Raid boss when you've seen the mechanics elsewhere and this boss is giving you 5 whole seconds to react rather than snapshotting you for not standing in your spot.

Yeah, one thing that isn't really obvious unless you do Savage (and to an extent Ultimate) raiding is that a lot of mechanics show up there first, and then get trickled out into other content in much easier to handle versions next expansion/patch/etc.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Having spent over 3 hours trying Voidcast Dais ex yesterday, I have to say I don't think I'd enjoy this style of raiding over WoW's. It's less of a fight and more of a pattern memorisation game. He uses the same exact attacks at precisely the same times every single time, zero variation. Learn where you need to stand at any given moment and you will eventually win. And from what I could gather, pretty much all fights in the game are like this?

Not saying it's necessarily worse that WoW, it's just different. I can see how some people might prefer it but I'm not one of them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mr. Neutron posted:

Having spent over 3 hours trying Voidcast Dais ex yesterday, I have to say I don't think I'd enjoy this style of raiding over WoW's. It's less of a fight and more of a pattern memorisation game. He uses the same exact attacks at precisely the same times every single time, zero variation. Learn where you need to stand at any given moment and you will eventually win. And from what I could gather, pretty much all fights in the game are like this?

Not saying it's necessarily worse that WoW, it's just different.

Usually the fights at Savage start having variations in who gets targeted by what in a given mechanic so what the right spot to stand can be less easy, but Extreme Trials are often just the stand in the right spot dance yes.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah as far as normal content goes, I think the 6.x MSQ trials are actually pretty dicey, well the first one and the third one, the second one isn't so bad.

The normal raids can be tough on first tries, but they also do a good job of like throwing mechs one at a time to teach them as part of the fight, and then the pacing on the mechanics isn't super fast so you've got a bit of time to react at least.

Part of that might also be that the normal MSQ trials just don't come up in roulettes, while those normal raids get done frequently.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've seen the second ew trial cause more wipes and vote abandons than any other regular duty in the game, even recently. which is funny because it's basically "can you recognize shapes and/or colours" but it will murder you if you get two wrong in a row instead of letting you stumble about with half a dozen vuln ups so i guess that is raising the bar a bit

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

Not saying it's necessarily worse that WoW, it's just different. I can see how some people might prefer it but I'm not one of them.

i often see ffxiv's high-end fights described as "dances" and i think that's reasonably descriptive. are there things you have to react to? yes, but they tend to be limited to a couple variations of a particular mechanic. voidcast dias ex has a good example with phases of the bade where eventually he starts combining it with the dragon and you can end up with either a donut aoe and player spreads or a big pbaoe and light party stacks on the healers. it's the "same" mechanic, and happens at the same time every pull, but you do have to read and react to the variation

(p8sp1 actually did shuffle around entire mechanics in the timeline and it was a tremendous pain in the rear end because in one version you could skip the entire last bit of the fight with decent dps and in the other you were stuck doing a downtime phase mechanic before being allowed to hit the boss again for a minute before enrage)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

if you can dodge the buildings and trains in the nier raids then there is nothing in the endwalker msq that will gently caress you up. and dying once or twice isnt going to wipe a party in story content.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

and dying once or twice isnt going to wipe a party in story content.

well, if you're healing it can. but also doesn't really matter and gives the tanks an opportunity to flex their kit :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oneiros posted:

well, if you're healing it can. but also doesn't really matter and gives the tanks an opportunity to flex their kit :v:
even as a healer its really not honestly unless the other healer is also dying constantly and you dont have any red mages or summoners

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I love when people gently caress up the trains in nier because there is absolutely no excuse for that. It's not some fantasy bullshit. It's a bunch of train tracks with red and green lights. You know what to do with this. You handle it IRL literally every day if you're American (well, ok, cars) or Japanese. (they haven't invented internal combustion in Europe)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf you have to know to angle the camera to keep the lights onscreen

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The important thing isn't that people fail to dodge the buildings and trains, the important thing is watching them get yeeted off the platform a mile away into oblivion.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Jonny 290 posted:

As it's been said before, MSQ-level content is easy and forgiving enough that you don't need to study or prepare anything. Just say "hi, first time" and roll your visage on your keyboard, you should be fine.
From what you've said about previous bosses you're already above a large cut of the players so don't worry too much. The philosophy of MSQ dungeons and boss (and by extension normal and alliance raids), is get hit once by a mechanic but the "why did that happen" is usually pretty obvious so you shouldn't get hit again. And even so, getting a vulnerability debuff or even dying isn't problematic. Even in the worst case scenario where you die, being the sole healer of the party and it ultimately causes a wipe isn't that much of an issue, it's common and the players are used to it.
EW content isn't really hard, there's a couple of mechanics that can be tricky but you should be able to react to them, or in doubt follow the pack.

If you really want a crash course on getting battle reflexes, avoiding aoes, looking outside the arena for incoming danger and guessing mechanics on the fly in an environment where it doesn't matter much wether you live or die, you can try your hand at Bozja (well if the activity isn't dead on your data center).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

seriously i know a lot of people have anxiety about their gameplay but if you are kind of paying attention to your rotation and sort of understand how to move your character around to dodge stuff you are better than about 70% of the people who play this game

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Where do I go to vote?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Usually the fights at Savage start having variations in who gets targeted by what in a given mechanic so what the right spot to stand can be less easy, but Extreme Trials are often just the stand in the right spot dance yes.

I wouldn't even say it changes much in Savage. P9S may start with Ice or Fire but you know that you have to stand with your partner for either, and you know you have to move to your individual spot for the followup mechanic. P11S may be a light or dark mechanic, but you have static positions to handle either one. Even things that are kinda random (P9S meteors, Light and Dark, Paradeigma III) have you in static groupings of positions that you don't really deviate from.

I think the last truly hosed up timeline we had for a fight was O7S.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
finally, finally got blood sworn with the moogles, and even got the card first try. now I gotta get back into Eureka.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Endorph posted:

the ratio gets a lot better once you're out of arr. you still have to do some random tasks sometimes but they're way better at like, having it flow somewhat naturally and not just shunting you around because.

Yeah, ARR is literally just the dev team salvaging the tire fire that was 1.0, so they weren't trying to reinvent the wheel or anything, just get the game back on its feet.
Heavensward is where they really start making the game "theirs."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Basically everything about the game until HW is blatantly rushed, down to the voice acting.

HW made a lot of missteps on the gameplay side as well, but most of those mistakes aren't in the game anymore so whatever.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It’s a miracle ARR is as good as it is with the way it came into being.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

hopeandjoy posted:

It’s a miracle ARR is as good as it is with the way it came into being.

:hai:
I think a lot of that can be chalked up to it being done by people who actually love and appreciate the source material.

I've been playing through the Pixel Remasters at long last, and it's been making me appreciate a lot of the older references that much more, especially like late-game FF3.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o67_Dzy8JYs

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Joe Chip posted:

Just a few weeks ago I barely knew what a setup marker for clock spots was and now I'm gettting stuck in reclear trap parties like a champ. Progress!

I swear every P9S clear party is at best a meteors prog.

No offence if you're the one having an issue, but how do you get stuck at meteors? That feels very straightforward to me. People unable to agree whether support or dps do puddle first?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It has English subtitles.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

echoing what others have said but also: the first dungeon of EW is kind of kick in the teeth so don't get discouraged if you have a hard time with that one

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

God Hole posted:

echoing what others have said but also: the first dungeon of EW is kind of kick in the teeth so don't get discouraged if you have a hard time with that one

That dungeon's final boss is an overwhelming amount of information to parse compared to what they've thrown at people before. It was the "show off on media tours" fight, and I was kinda both disappointed and relieved later ones took a step back.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Incredibly cute. :allears:

For anyone that hasn't heard of them before, this group has a bunch of outstanding FFXIV machinima, and they have English captions. They're well worth checking out!

Completely unrelated, here's a cursed Wii Sports Ul'dah Theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY9OzGMw70I

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bruceski posted:

No offence if you're the one having an issue, but how do you get stuck at meteors? That feels very straightforward to me. People unable to agree whether support or dps do puddle first?

I think it can happen when most of the party has only seen it once and/or doesn't actually know how to do it because they're normally in a static with a caller

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Bruceski posted:

That dungeon's final boss is an overwhelming amount of information to parse compared to what they've thrown at people before. It was the "show off on media tours" fight, and I was kinda both disappointed and relieved later ones took a step back.

Eh, while it's intense it also doesn't really have any "mechanics" beyond avoiding ground aoe markers. Personally I've seen pugs have much more trouble with the next two final bosses.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
My only issue with that final boss is it feels like they have a little too much health. You beat them once already, I feel like they should be a little weaker when you're fighting all three at once, because the fight ends up feeling like kind of a slog.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jonny 290 posted:

my retainer just brought me a Ktiseos Codex and i'm literally standing here in my inn room panning the camera and going whoa

It's definitely the best book and I would still be using it as my glam, but got called away by the siren song of glowing particle effects.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mainwaring posted:

Eh, while it's intense it also doesn't really have any "mechanics" beyond avoiding ground aoe markers. Personally I've seen pugs have much more trouble with the next two final bosses.

Yeah, I don't think execution is particularly tricky but it's a lot to sightread and figure out what's relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Nice! posted:

Where do I go to vote?
Assuming that's what you wanted!