Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Yeah, money is a social construct but just watch what happens to me if I stop using it to pay my mortgage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

When do we start to call regressives the Asleeps?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They do love telling each other to wake up

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Upsidads posted:

When do we start to call regressives the Asleeps?

We better watch out when the sleepers have awakened

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

There’s a long-dead US political party called the Wide-Awakes, though the current CHUD political and social projects fit more with the Know-Nothings

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

We better watch out when the sleepers have awakened

Sleepers rise up

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

This moral alignment chart has one row too many

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Sleep past your troubles

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The system of millions of humans making shelters, growing food, etc?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Brawnfire posted:

The system of millions of humans making shelters, growing food, etc?

I mean, it comes off a little too Tyler Durden, but I get where the jpeg is coming from.
Unless there's a followup to it that explains how this is something the Democrats masterminded and only them.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

the_steve posted:

I mean, it comes off a little too Tyler Durden, but I get where the jpeg is coming from.
Unless there's a followup to it that explains how this is something the Democrats masterminded and only them.

Something the (((Demon Rats))) masterminded, you mean.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

the_steve posted:

It's from a family member who regularly posts anti-trans, anti-immigrant, etc. Big on "Schools need to put god back on the lesson plan". So yeah, on the surface you may agree but you know it stems from hate.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

the_steve posted:

I guess if you think government has only been around for 2 generations. Not everyone in Rome was growing their own food or sewing their own clothes either. These systems aren't 2 generations old, they are the backbone of any civilization.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I get it too but it seems like it rests too much on every individual human needing to be a subsistence farmer. A lot of skills weren't 100% individual but spread out over a community support network, it's just that that network has gotten to the point where offloaded responsibilities are sight unseen. The skills themselves aren't forgotten and are in daily practice, but specialized.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

This one's funny because the dude posted it about Biden but I'd be willing to bet it's a 3 year old meme...

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Medullah posted:

This one's funny because the dude posted it about Biden but I'd be willing to bet it's a 3 year old meme...

That joke is probably old enough to draw a pension.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Medullah posted:

It's from a family member who regularly posts anti-trans, anti-immigrant, etc. Big on "Schools need to put god back on the lesson plan". So yeah, on the surface you may agree but you know it stems from hate.

How come so many of the "GOD back in schools" crowd fights so hard to block teaching science, history, race, sex and calls it a personal choice for the parents and something that should be learned and controlled by the Mother and Father? What if I take exception to the school telling my son he's going to burn in hell if he turns out to be gay or asks uncomfortable questions about different religions? What if I object to Prager U content being taught to him as abject fact?

Isn't it my responsibility, combined with his natural intellectual curiosity and subsequent questions, to determine what we collectively consider God to be and the role of religion in his life either way? Right now, my son is 12 and says he believes in God, to the extent that he can define it, at least. I personally don't believe but we engage in real conversation about the subject and I never tell him he's wrong or that his beliefs are misguided.

We just talk.

We don't battle over who's right or wrong; at least as the central thesis of the discussions.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

How come so many of the "GOD back in schools" crowd fights so hard to block teaching science, history, race, sex and calls it a personal choice for the parents and something that should be learned and controlled by the Mother and Father? What if I take exception to the school telling my son he's going to burn in hell if he turns out to be gay or asks uncomfortable questions about different religions? What if I object to Prager U content being taught to him as abject fact?

Isn't it my responsibility, combined with his natural intellectual curiosity and subsequent questions, to determine what we collectively consider God to be and the role of religion in his life either way? Right now, my son is 12 and says he believes in God, to the extent that he can define it, at least. I personally don't believe but we engage in real conversation about the subject and I never tell him he's wrong or that his beliefs are misguided.

We just talk.

We don't battle over who's right or wrong; at least as the central thesis of the discussions.

I just barely got back home from church with my daughters and wife and like as one of the few goons who is religious, like I got baptized from Judaism into Christianity it long ago, it’s rough trying to teach that it doesn’t loving matter which or any god one prays to:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BiggerBoat posted:

We just talk.

A fair portion of the debate has nothing to do with any actual theological concerns and is based solely in controlling other people, or at least justifying any prejudice they may have towards any Others.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Plus, many conservatives see it as their duty to make sure that their kids end up as little carbon copies of themselves. It's tough to do that when they're exposed to other ideas, so shutting down their access to said ideas is important. That's what the homeschooling movement is largely about. In private, they readily admit that they're completely pro-indoctrination, as long as they're the ones doing the indoctrination. You don't need to scratch very far under PragerU's surface before they start saying that part loud.

Hell, the whole current freakout about kids using different pronouns at school is all about this. They pretend it's some "oh the nefarious teachers unions are whispering trans indoctrination into the ears of our children" scenario, but their entire objection boils down to them being extremely freaked out at the idea that they don't have complete knowledge and control of their kid's self-expression at all times.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

Well yah its basically trying to say real men farm/do physical work and women belong in the kitchen under the guise of we don't MAKE things anymore. It's toxic masculinity too because its basically saying if you're a real man you'd be making things and not talking about pronouns our pursuing arts and science.

I guess if I think about it more, there is a kernel of we need more vocational training which is true but they don't actually care about any of that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Well yah its basically trying to say real men farm/do physical work and women belong in the kitchen under the guise of we don't MAKE things anymore. It's toxic masculinity too because its basically saying if you're a real man you'd be making things and not talking about pronouns our pursuing arts and science.

I guess if I think about it more, there is a kernel of we need more vocational training which is true but they don't actually care about any of that.

Right, 100% we need to adjust what public school teaches kids. Basic hone economics, general home repair, etc. If I had learned about compound interest early on I might be retiring early. But no, the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

"If my children, who are my property, have thoughts that I DON'T LIKE THEN WHAT ABOUT OUR PHREADOME!@!!!!!!"

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Oh man, the fact that the most recent two generations were never "taught how to make things" by their parents is definitely an indictment of them themselves and somehow not an indictment of their parents.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Goddamn Millennials, demanding participation trophies until we were forced to invent the concept and give them out at every opportunity!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Goddamn Millennials, demanding participation trophies until we were forced to invent the concept and give them out at every opportunity!

Now try being a zoomer

The forty year old millenial college students and us your allies, the tiktok communists who are simultaneously 4 and 30

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

In only two generations we have lost the knowledge of how to treat polio and tuberculosis with food & herbs :negative:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Nenonen posted:

In only two generations we have lost the knowledge of how to treat polio and tuberculosis with food & herbs :negative:

I want to take it the other way if I was confronted with this by someone I knew, and start talking in glowing terms about this desire and how I'm glad they've come around and want to achieve the ambitions of Mao and Pol Pot in creating a self-sufficient society focused on more agrarian living.

Not that the people saying this kind of thing actually care about capitalism as anything but a jingoistic buzzword, but they're demanding a departure from a hyperspecialized atomized society that capitalists gladly propagate and profit from and instead demand things that various major Communist Boogeymen drove to institute.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
And no one practices the Mithraic Mysteries anymore! It's so sad what we've lost

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

And no one practices the Mithraic Mysteries anymore! It's so sad what we've lost
In the scifi series Raised by Wolves, the Mithraic Mysteries are rediscovered. It also explores the mystery of how a series with a good first season can quickly turn into absolute dogshit.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Nebrilos posted:

Oh man, the fact that the most recent two generations were never "taught how to make things" by their parents is definitely an indictment of them themselves and somehow not an indictment of their parents.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Three generations ago was peak

Boomers pretending that woodgrain TV sets and canned food are naturally occurring phenomena.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I kinda want to make that now

I hope that's not sweet jello though eugh

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Why is it looking at me????

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Guavanaut posted:

Three generations ago was peak

Boomers pretending that woodgrain TV sets and canned food are naturally occurring phenomena.

I like to think I've got a diverse palate, I'll try anything once. The only food I couldn't finish was a plate of aspic my grandma swore up and down was the "the best"

:barf:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I don't think that set properly

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe they should have been taught / read instructions known better.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Opposite of what I normally post, I posted this on Facebook and am loving the "so beautiful" and "Blessed" comments I'm getting from my Conservative family members hahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There's an interesting Youtube channel I like to follow that has scenes from malls and stores in the '90s - Vampire Robot. Good channel. But in one particular video there's a family watching a movie together in 2002, and every other comment is a variation of carping about cell phones - "this was before everyone was glued to a phone screen!".

Probably it's a bunch of bots, but given the early '00s nostalgia it could be people my age who are already doing Boomer rants on social media.