Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for refusing to apologize for being myself?

Why is she getting upset? He’s just being honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
But being brutally honest is her thing, not his!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Other peoples feelings aren't real and don't matter, only mine!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Foo Diddley posted:

well apparently, being a raging rear end in a top hat gets you labeled as an rear end in a top hat these days

The subreddit should just set it up to score them as the rear end in a top hat if they include the words “no filter” or “brutally honest” in the post. Sure, you might catch a few folks who are describing when other people say that, but it would save everyone a lot of time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Upgrade posted:

yelling at the 13 year old reading Enders Game
There's a a good chance it was assigned school reading.

TIL " Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card book has been required reading for all Marines. " AIEEEEE.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Blue Moonlight posted:

The subreddit should just set it up to score them as the rear end in a top hat if they include the words “no filter” or “brutally honest” in the post. Sure, you might catch a few folks who are describing when other people say that, but it would save everyone a lot of time.

also "dark sense of humor"

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

AITA for keeping my uncle's money because I was promised I would not have to babysit.

quote:

This summer my family and my uncle's got together in my grandmother's timeshare in Orlando to go to Disney World and Universal Studios. I wanted to go to Cape Canaveral while we were there too.

As soon as I found out my uncle was coming I told my parents I would not be babysitting for him on my vacation. They promised me I would not have to do that.

First two days went great. I got to have fun at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Day three was Epcot and my aunt and uncle started having a few drinks. My parents asked me to watch my cousins. I said no thanks. I was promised I would not have to babysit. My uncle pulled out a wad of cash and gave me $300. I was more than happy to babysit for the day.

It happened two more days. I watched my cousins three days and made $950. I used the money to have fun with the kids. I spent a little of it to get them snacks and drinks. Our meals were paid for by our parents.

I took one day for myself and went to Kennedy Space Center. I had saved up my own money for the visit but now I had cash. I paid for the VIP experience. It was amazing and I highly recommend it. I also bought souvenirs I would not have had money for otherwise. I got a Light Saber and a Droid. And a Wand at Universal. It turned out to be a pretty good vacation after all.

On the way home my father said I had played my joke long enough and to give my uncle his money back. I said "she gone" and pointed at my souvenirs. I honestly wondered where he thought I got the money to buy everything I wanted.

He went and told my uncle that I spent it all. I actually still had $200 but I wasn't going to mention it.

My mom told my dad that I had earned that money and that they had broken their promise to me that I would not have to babysit.

My uncle is upset with me for keeping the money and my father thinks I was greedy for taking advantage of the situation. I think he means I tricked his drunk brother.
Tricked by a teenager, three days in a row!

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

brutally honest up there with the OP who loves to do funny pranks that of course everyone loves

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Solenna posted:

AITA for keeping my uncle's money because I was promised I would not have to babysit.

Tricked by a teenager, three days in a row!

What was the plan here??? Why give her the money then

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

TIL " Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card book has been required reading for all Marines. " AIEEEEE.

It's nice they're getting some challenging material for their level.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Upgrade posted:

Apparently the plan was to call "psych!" several days later.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Upgrade posted:

so that she'd agree to babysit. the plan was to get free babysitting by stealing the money from her afterward

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I just love the idea of giving a kid a thousand dollars in cash at Disney World / Cape Canaveral and just expecting them to not spend it.

a bat
Jan 9, 2020

Foo Diddley posted:

so that she'd agree to babysit. the plan was to get free babysitting by stealing the money from her afterward

It looks like uncle+dad's plan was to do this and retrospectively decide that OP had only taken the money as a mean prank.

(I do not know in what universe this would count as a prank. This is just called getting paid.)

Weirdly, it feels like OP (and possibly Solenna, who reposted it) both seem to be half-buying this. ("I think he means I tricked his drunk brother." "Tricked by a teenager, three days in a row!")

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Female Geoffrey's spider monkeys
That game of thrones spinoff got weird

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

a bat posted:

It looks like uncle+dad's plan was to do this and retrospectively decide that OP had only taken the money as a mean prank.

(I do not know in what universe this would count as a prank. This is just called getting paid.)

Weirdly, it feels like OP (and possibly Solenna, who reposted it) both seem to be half-buying this. ("I think he means I tricked his drunk brother." "Tricked by a teenager, three days in a row!")
oh no! I was trying to make fun of the utterly terrible logic the uncle was trying to use to make the kid feel like the guilty party.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Upgrade posted:

I read the post a couple times — OP didn’t declare their gender.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Foo Diddley posted:

well apparently, being a raging rear end in a top hat gets you labeled as an rear end in a top hat these days

Ok, back to feeling good about myself for guessing exactly what was going on based on the title, once again I can listen to my rear end in a top hat sense when it starts to tingle :unsmith:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Upgrade posted:

brutally honest up there with the OP who loves to do funny pranks that of course everyone loves

"I'm kind of the joker in the group"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

lol she's the rear end in a top hat and she knows it because she is very careful to avoid describing what she did. I'm not even sure if insulting someone's outfit was part of it or just a hypothetical

a bat
Jan 9, 2020

Solenna posted:

oh no! I was trying to make fun of the utterly terrible logic the uncle was trying to use to make the kid feel like the guilty party.

oh!!!!! totally understood, my bad!!!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

bking posted:

The Diet+Workout plan post a couple pages back would have been such a great cautionary tale for me in my early twenties, and probably a lot of other Very Online people.

OP keeps repeating that he spent six hours on the plan that he’s professionally qualified to make, and that it’s perfect. He’s completely missing the point that his partner wasn’t asking for a solution, and the fact that he executed and pitched such a high-effort plan makes it worse.

I can’t count how many years of relationships it took me to understand that a lot of partners are only asking for a sounding board about some problems. Saying “do you want help with that?” or “would you like me to help you do X?” is much better than jumping directly to finding a fix.
Counterpoint: the girlfriend in question complained more than once she felt fat and the boyfriend tried to reassure her each time. Just as the boyfriend, who considered himself thoughtful, could have asked if she wanted a solution or sympathy, the girlfriend could have said she was venting and not looking for a solution.

Having dated people and had friends that wanted to complain about the same problems ad nauseum and refusing to do anything about said problems after I asked if they wanted to think of solutions together, I grew to have a distaste for their woe-is-me attitude. They can get reassurance from friends and family with more patience than me.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost

Olive Branch posted:

Counterpoint: the girlfriend in question complained more than once she felt fat and the boyfriend tried to reassure her each time. Just as the boyfriend, who considered himself thoughtful, could have asked if she wanted a solution or sympathy, the girlfriend could have said she was venting and not looking for a solution.

Having dated people and had friends that wanted to complain about the same problems ad nauseum and refusing to do anything about said problems after I asked if they wanted to think of solutions together, I grew to have a distaste for their woe-is-me attitude. They can get reassurance from friends and family with more patience than me.

I hope they don’t talk to you anymore.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Solenna posted:

I think he means I tricked his drunk brother.

Keeping the money you're paid for providing a service, the oldest trick in the book.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

I hope they don’t talk to you anymore.

Honestly that is the best possible thing to happen. All the worst ex-friends in my life have been people with a Reasonably Solvable Problem That Is Causing Interpersonal Issues who will do anything including torch friendships to avoid addressing the problem, despite constantly complaining about it.

Just insufferable.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
To hell with people who complain about things with no intention of doing anything to fix their situation.

Think of all the people on r/relationships that whinge about their partners open sewer of an rear end in a top hat but refuse to take any kind of step about improving their lives other than posting about it online.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Olive Branch posted:

Yeah, what kind of rear end in a top hat turns down an olive branch?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Lots of posters ITT getting rolled by age old relationship-wrecker, "do I look fat in this?"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's a a good chance it was assigned school reading.

Not where I work. A previous Head of English was like "haha no, gently caress that guy."

We also used to teach American Beauty to some senior classes, and now it's like "lol no, ew."

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah, which is why you were allowed to do the horrible things in the post without going to jail. But, the question was are you an rear end in a top hat for those rules.

Infuriating!

We need to restore the middle class in the United States so people can more easily get a job and move away from abusive assholes like this. And other reasons, too.

Seriously. I keep wondering, with the disconnect between pay and cost of living, how many people are trapped in abusive, or just super stressful relationships where they would like to be on their own, relationships due to not being able to afford a safe-ish home on their income alone.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

edogawa rando posted:

Not where I work. A previous Head of English was like "haha no, gently caress that guy."

We also used to teach American Beauty to some senior classes, and now it's like "lol no, ew."

these days, they just play the last few minutes

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ok, back to feeling good about myself for guessing exactly what was going on based on the title, once again I can listen to my rear end in a top hat sense when it starts to tingle :unsmith:

At least it's a woman for a change. We mostly see nerd guys or Alpha males being assholes until someone calls them on it and they go and sulk and ask for apologies with the backing of Mom & Dad. It's just who he is!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bored posted:

Seriously. I keep wondering, with the disconnect between pay and cost of living, how many people are trapped in abusive, or just super stressful relationships where they would like to be on their own, relationships due to not being able to afford a safe-ish home on their income alone.

Yeah, it's bad. I had a client like this (super stressful relationship, not abusive) and they actually had to spend a couple weeks crashing with friends/sleeping in their car while they scraped together enough for first/last/security deposit.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Another case of 'how is that a joke'

AITA for telling my dad that he's the reason my girlfriend's dad doesn't like me

quote:

My (19M) girlfriend (19F) have known each other since we were toddlers. Her dad (55M) came to this country in the 90s to work and made many good friends, which my dad (55M) was one of them. In the latter half of the decade, he returned to China to marry my girlfriend's mom and brought her back to my country. It's a very inspiring story.

We grew up together and it was a running joke between our dads that we would get married one day. Once we started going to middle school and high school together, we went to separate elementary schools, we got a lot closer. We started dating when we were 14. Her dad became very cold with me, which was expected considering I was dating his daughter, but my girlfriend said he would warm up to me in about two to three years. He did, until recently.

After we graduated high school, my girlfriend moved in with my family since we're closer to the university. That's when her dad started to become cold to me again. I thought maybe it was because I took her daughter away, but my girlfriend's mom told me that my dad has been saying really sexual stuff about me to her dad.

I confronted my dad about this and he confirmed it. He's said stuff like how I'm inside her or how we don't like wearing clothes when we're in the bedroom. I told him to maybe tone it down a bit, but he told me to chill out and that they're just jokes. I told him that if my girlfriend is the one I'll marry in the future, I want her dad to like me and that no dad wants to hear about their daughter's sex life. He said I'm overreacting and that I'm being an a-hole. AITA?

EDIT: When I say her dad got cold after she moved in with me, I don't mean right away. We had sweet moment when they took me on a Christmas family vacation and I had a one on one with him. It was sometime after that that he started getting cold to me.

EDIT: When I told him to tone it down, I meant no sex talk, not less sex talk, especially WITH HER DAD. Like they used to joke about how we'd get married one day and we'd be one big happy family. Or when we did start dating, he'd be like "Haha my son kisses your daughter all the time." Tone down to that.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

"Haha can you imagine? He's probably slidin' his big ol' hog (like mine, ofc) in and out of her right now, as we speak! Wait, where are you going? It's just a joke!"

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

The Maroon Hawk posted:

"Haha can you imagine? He's probably slidin' his big ol' hog (like mine, ofc) in and out of her right now, as we speak! Wait, where are you going? It's just a joke!"

Is your Daughter a "goer", I bet she is, wink wink nudge nudge

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is that redneck for gopher?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is that redneck for gopher?

Say no more

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

more from :sparkles: tumblr :sparkles:

AITA for using my coping strategy even though it inconveniences my Roomates?

quote:

I (22 M) and my 4 roomates (21-24 F) all share an apartment with 1 kitchen, 5 rooms and 2 bathrooms. We tend to get along but we argue over the bathrooms more than we’d like

They tend to take a long time to get ready in the mornings, and I tend to take a long time at night because of my coping mechanism.

Basically once or twice a week, I take a few edibles, turn off all the lights, and shower while on the floor in complete darkness, rolling around in soap. I call this my Olm time after the blind cave salamander. I basically roll around in all the soap and just pretend I’m a little cave dwelling salamander while high as poo poo, and then rinse off and crawl out of the shower and head to my room.

It’s like meditation. I go to a completely different state mentally. This is the only thing that has significantly helped me with stress, while allowing me to incorporate all of my self care duties into my routine. Becoming one with the Olm is my only option.

My roomates don’t know about Olm time but they have realized I take a while in the shower some nights, and they have tried to argue by saying that everyone needs to get ready for bed too. I’ve told them that they take a really long time in the mornings, and I often have to brush my teeth in the kitchen sink because the bathrooms are basically locked from around 6:30-8:45 every day because of how long they take.

Basically they’re all pretty frustrated with me and I’m pretty frustrated with them. That self care time is pretty much what keeps me going through really hard days, and they don’t seem to get that, even when they tell me how important their getting ready time is for them in the mornings. I don’t know if I’m being an rear end in a top hat or if I’m genuinely standing up for myself here. AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

r/relationships: I just pretend I’m a little cave dwelling salamander while high as poo poo