Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I’m sure they’re also basing their major content patches on the season cycle model of other arpgs, so they want to build a system of hyping each season (even if they’re just patches right now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I, for one, am excited to engage in new flavors of Wizard Nonsense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Okay, I'll be honest, I didn't finish the trailer since it was just talking generic hype for the game (or the development of the game, I guess), so I don't even know what's supposed to be in the patch.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
trailers for patches aren't weird, but that one was. started as like a low effort 1.0 announcement, and it did not make it clear what major features, if any, come with the patch besides runemaster. they had a bit with a streamer praising the proposed trade system, does that mean its coming this patch or whats going on?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It was for sure an odd trailer I'll give you that. Really no details out there at all about this update so I'm hoping it's not just a new class. How many other classes still have to be added?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
My theory is that they got the slot a while ago with the aspirational goal in mind to announce a release date, seeing as at the beginning of the year they said they would definitely launch in 2023.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Oh...so playing online but solo works fine, but as soon as I join a party with a friend suddenly zone transitions take 30-60 seconds and there's fairly regular "lost connection" errors.

the transitions taking forever is, uh, "normal", but lost connections went away for my friend group as soon as we volunteered someone to be the dedicated transition guy, and everyone else waits to start the transition until their character disappears to the next map

this doesn't make the transition take any longer either, since transition happens faster after the instance is already occupied by someone, somehow. it's really weird, hopefully they fix this bs soon

also, it only happens during campaign, once you're in monoliths there's no transition loading screens anymore anyway

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

We decided to shelve the game until they fix it.
I like the gameplay and the game is perfectly fine in singleplayer but the multiplayer is borderline unplayable.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Didn’t expect to want to play the new Mastery but “literally just Dota 2 1 Invoker” is a pretty good sell imo

https://twitter.com/lastepoch/status/1697308355067285527?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Anno fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 1, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sweet, I've always wanted to get good at Invoker but I no longer have a second monitor so I can't just keep a list of the Orb combinations for any given spell visible at all times

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The new up date is out tomorrow. The Runemaster looks like it could be pretty cool, but for all the talk of versatility, I assume it'll boil down to using a set of 2-3 synergistic rune combinations for the most part, but at least there might be several good combinations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQZp_ek_bc4

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The new up date is out tomorrow. The Runemaster looks like it could be pretty cool, but for all the talk of versatility, I assume it'll boil down to using a set of 2-3 synergistic rune combinations for the most part, but at least there might be several good combinations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQZp_ek_bc4

Been a while since I've played this game, and a lot of this stuff looks great. May have to jump back in here fairly soon.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'll definitely check it out once I get burnt out on Starfield.

Which I don't think will take too long, it feels very Menu-y. Travel to ship, travel to planet, walk, travel back to planet.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
invoker as a ARPG class is sick. more character classes should be direct ripoffs of dota 2 characters. give me bristlesnout

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Frost Claw skill will be a critical addition.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I wonder if the patch will make multiplayer playable

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tarnop posted:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Looking at all the Runmaster stuff, trying to figure out if I can make a cool fireball ignite centered build.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Tarnop posted:

no

but the class is incredibly fun to play! who knows if the catalogue of spells is going to be even half useful for endgame play (seems like a tall task for even the best developer) but it's been a blast to play.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Looking at all the Runmaster stuff, trying to figure out if I can make a cool fireball ignite centered build.

definitely

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I guess it was less "if" and more "how" lol. I kinda want to make a facsimile of my favorite PoE character, which was a Fireball Ignite Chieftan that used Firewall for extra ST DPS. The Elemental Wall in LE seems to function a bit differently in the sense you can only put one down and it lacks the cool "fireballs shot through the firewall get buffed" aspect. Just gotta figure something out though.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I guess it was less "if" and more "how" lol. I kinda want to make a facsimile of my favorite PoE character, which was a Fireball Ignite Chieftan that used Firewall for extra ST DPS. The Elemental Wall in LE seems to function a bit differently in the sense you can only put one down and it lacks the cool "fireballs shot through the firewall get buffed" aspect. Just gotta figure something out though.

i was using the new flame movement skill, building up three fire runes and invoking greater fireball. in addition to ice wall converted to fire with the node that gives a 45% chance to shoot fireballs at anything that passes through it.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I'm also considering ignite with Runemaster. Fire-fire-ice invocation hits in a huge area, so it's good for spreading ignites around, while ice-fire-fire hits a bunch of times in one spot, so it's great for single target.

I'm also having fun with Prologue and Interlude on Invocation; both of the above examples add a lot of extra hits. Those nodes are bugged at the moment, though; if you only have one or two runes, nothing happens when you invoke.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That's a shame. I'll still be trying out the Runemaster myself, I was just hoping to get my ARPG friends on board. I guess that will have to wait until 1.0

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Noper Q posted:

I'm also considering ignite with Runemaster. Fire-fire-ice invocation hits in a huge area, so it's good for spreading ignites around, while ice-fire-fire hits a bunch of times in one spot, so it's great for single target.

I was thinking along the same lines. It looks very solid on paper.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lol, for some reason I was able to teleport to the Outcast Camp before I reached the Temple of Eterra. I wonder if this is a bug because of them moving your trip to the End of Time up to during the Refuge instead of reaching the Temple of Eterra.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Lol, for some reason I was able to teleport to the Outcast Camp before I reached the Temple of Eterra. I wonder if this is a bug because of them moving your trip to the End of Time up to during the Refuge instead of reaching the Temple of Eterra.

outcast camp always came before the temple. you go the temple after you kill the corrupted students or whatever the gently caress they are.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The imperial Era Living Rebels Outcast camp?

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Looks like the 'get stronger passing through a firewall' interaction is in runebolt of all things.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I've been having a lot of fun with Runemaster. I was going to go in on ignite, but then a decently rolled Crest of Unity dropped. I was already using Ele Nova, since it was decent for leveling, so I swapped to a tri-elemental setup using the Runic Invocation that spams Runebolt plus the node that makes Invocation cast extra Novas. It's fun, though the damage isn't quite there yet. But I'm also level 71 in an 85 zone and have lots of improving I can do with gear, so I think it'll get to a decent spot.

I'm also surprisingly tanky, considering how little I've built toward that. There are a lot of places to get ward, so I'm often rolling around with 1.5k without really trying, spiking up to 2.5k. If I figured out how to work the ward-granting Invocation into my rotation, I could go much higher.

Noper Q fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 9, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These weird delays in fast travel and long loading times are kiling me, is there any reason at all to play online

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Only if you want to play with others

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Did they break online map transitions? Haven't played for a while and it's taking like a good 5-10 seconds to transition maps now outside of any load times.

Like I click to move to the next map and it just sits there for a good 5-10 seconds.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah they hosed it up

it was always this bad if you weren't in a party
i think they're trying to fix the "in a party" problem but got it backwards? lol

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Playing this again for the first time in a long time and it's been nice and smooth so far. Still in newbie stage at level 18, but I really like the new way they unlock the specialization as I got it at level 16 and conveniently enough that it exactly when you get your 21st passive point (assuming side quests) and you can immediately put it into the Runemaster passives.

Because I tend to over-clear and run side quests I don't think I've ever unlocked my specialization before the low-20's before, and I really like this change.

Overall my biggest complaint at this point is that I don't remember such a high percentage of the mobs being HP sponges taking many volleys to kill, but that could just be the difference in class power at this level? I'm using the new Frost Claw converted to lightning as my primary attack.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Unless you have gear that has great synergies with lightning you are probably making your primary attack weaker than it should otherwise be at this stage in the game. Get bonuses to damage and cast speed first, then get conversion once you have lots of gear or passives to support it. I didn't notice bullet sponge enemies with my runemaster.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Frost Claw is all right, but it's meant to be a spammable skill, so it doesn't do a ton of damage. Try experimenting with Runic Invocation; it has a lot of really good options that will help clear immensely, even unspecialized, such as ice-fire-ice.

And if you don't want to go through every combination yourself (I did because I find that kind of thing fun), you can check out the full list of invocations: https://www.lastepochtools.com/skills/runic_invocation/invocations

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Noper Q posted:

Frost Claw is all right, but it's meant to be a spammable skill, so it doesn't do a ton of damage. Try experimenting with Runic Invocation; it has a lot of really good options that will help clear immensely, even unspecialized, such as ice-fire-ice.

And if you don't want to go through every combination yourself (I did because I find that kind of thing fun), you can check out the full list of invocations: https://www.lastepochtools.com/skills/runic_invocation/invocations

Yup I just got it though and haven't played since. I'll be using it tomorrow and speccing into it at 20.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Rune Master is super smooth for leveling. Ice-Fire-Ice makes you almost unkillable, and if you need a sudden burst of ward while it’s up, ice-ice-fire gives it to you while dealing okay damage. A lot of the damage invocations feel on the weak side, but lightning-fire-fire for the hydrahedron, ice-fire-fire for the rain of fire or any of the three pure elemental ones feel great (you need the prelude and interlude nodes to make pure lightning feel good because the lightning ball is possibly bugged and has weirdly terrible AoE, but if you have them it’s awesome.)

I’m really hoping I can squeeze out a decent amount of time to play so I can experiment with higher level runic invocation before the cyberpunk expansion comes out, because there are tons of things I want to test.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Digging that rune system. Reminds me of Magicka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I started playing again to try out Runemaster, and I'm enjoying it a lot despite for some reason immediately deciding I would do Fire Nova as my bread-and-butter. I thought I'd miss a lot out concentrating on only a single element, but its been ridiculously effective getting buffs from Flame Ward/Dash and speccing Invocation to be a giant fire cooldown nuke. The only thing I don't like about the build so far is that I need Focus to recover mana in boss fights and I wish I didn't have to channel it because my mana regen is lower than my cast speed.