Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

lol, 1930 in the Baker Bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

13-12 lol

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
https://twitter.com/morsecode/status/1700659817205874796

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1700675116361769130

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I heard 23 hits and thought "yeah that sounds about right for a game where 25 runs scored" without knowing that was from one team.

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
Only 5 of the 23 Sox hits were for extra bases, and only one was more than a 2B (one HR). On the other hand, the O’s had 9 of 14 for extra bases including 5 HRs.

It actually kind of shocks me that it’s been so long. I know 23 hits is a lot for a team to hit and still lose, but I would have thought there’d be some other games with sufficient mutual bad pitching that it could have happened.

waffy fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 10, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I am beyond thrilled that Brantley has come back the way he left - elite hitter.

I’m beginning to think the Astros could do some damage in the postseason this year.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Turns out Chris Sale is not, and never will be, Back.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Kirios posted:

I am beyond thrilled that Brantley has come back the way he left - elite hitter.

I’m beginning to think the Astros could do some damage in the postseason this year.

Hell yeah, Uncle Mike!

And double hell yeah, Houston Astros!

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I am upset with the Red Sox nominee for the Roberto Clemente award this year. Tanner Houck has had some opinions that are very hard to defend. I am thinking of rooting for a different team.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Thankfully there are no chuds on any other teams

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Anderson Koopa posted:

I am upset with the Red Sox nominee for the Roberto Clemente award this year. Tanner Houck has had some opinions that are very hard to defend. I am thinking of rooting for a different team.

The Cubs have another convert :smuggo:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Thankfully there are no chuds on any other teams

Speaking of chuds I'm surprised no-one took a swing at Anthony Bass on even a minor league deal. Like gently caress that guy but also lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kirios posted:

Montero also appears to be back, he got soto/tatis/xander 1-2-3

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1700597415491870743

Grienke has been terrible this year!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Greinke owns and I will be forever upset he didn't get a ring in 2019

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

Greinke owns and I will be forever upset he didn't get a ring in 20192015

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Kyle Wright may have to make a return start in the doubleheader tomorrow just because the Braves don’t have anyone else to toss out there

also apparently Strider’s sick now after Riley was before so getting a little worried it’s a covid outbreak

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There it is, full power line up

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Only took halfway into the last month of the season

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

zoux posted:

There it is, full power line up

I guess France, being new to the club this year, doesn't have this weird "I DEMAND MALDY AND DUBON" hangup

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

Only took halfway into the last month of the season
I mean, is there a better time to finally have everyone on a team healthy?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

while I agree with you, only the lineup is healthy. the rotation is still decimated

which I guess is familiar for you really

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

It's not only that everyone is finally healthy. It's that Dusty puts in the no loving brainer guys in the lineup all at the same time. Diaz over Maldy, Chas over Meyers, etc

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1700888109301313854?t=l670mg7EcTltM_RjegGEjA&s=19

Beyond embarrassing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I will take one (1) Mike Trout for the Chicago Cubs baseball organization, thank you.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Moreno going to try to sell again now? They're so hosed with or without Trout they should just go full tank.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Time for the Millville Meteor to come home

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

The Jays have this Cy Yong quality starting pitcher in the minors right now.....

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Ohtani AND Trout?!? Let the chaos begin

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
without Trout the Angels are going to be challenging Oakland for lowest payroll

e: wait I forgot Rendon technically plays for them

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

How is that contract tradable unless they eat like 75%?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kirios posted:

https://www.theonion.com/2-year-old-never-thought-he-would-live-to-see-giants-wi-1819577125

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

How is that contract tradable unless they eat like 75%?
what's Mike Trout's Hall of Fame plaque hat worth to you?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We’re,gonna break the curse this year

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

what's Mike Trout's Hall of Fame plaque hat worth to you?

you can't buy that lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Astros continue to perform Feats of Strength

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1700965923299991905

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
feels like the Braves have reached the point where they’re mostly just resting players and chasing counting numbers the rest of the season. have any of the stat nerds crunched numbers on late season complacency vs. postseason risk

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

you can't buy that lol
are you sure? If a team trades for him this winter and takes him to the postseason a half dozen times over the remainder of his career, manages to win a title, you don't think he decides that's his preference? Especially if it's the Phillies?

If he's fed up with Arte and asks for a trade, you don't think that's indicative of his mindset?

Mike Piazza was drafted by the Dodgers through the grace of Lasorda, had his best seasons in LA, put up more WAR in LA than NY, but was soured by the trade and has an NY on his plaque.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 10, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s definitely a conversation people would have. If it comes down to a player who is resentful of the long time he spent in relative obscurity and being wasted by an organization vs one he really took to and which embraced him and helped him achieve his goals and greater acknowledgement. The point of the rule was to stop players from cynically selling their plaque to a team like Boggs tried. The hypothetical Trout scenario would be very different and really just being a dick to him if it played out like that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

are you sure? If a team trades for him this winter and takes him to the postseason a half dozen times over the remainder of his career, manages to win a title, you don't think he decides that's his preference? Especially if it's the Phillies?

If he's fed up with Arte and asks for a trade, you don't think that's indicative of his mindset?

Mike Piazza was drafted by the Dodgers through the grace of Lasorda, had his best seasons in LA, put up more WAR in LA than NY, but was soured by the trade and has an NY on his plaque.

The hat is chosen by an MLB committee not the player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

The hat is chosen by an MLB committee not the player
Players still get input, the committee just has final say because they wanted to be able to overule the Rays trying to purchase Wade Boggs' plaque hat.

It's still basically up to the player, barring extreme circumstances like that.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 10, 2023