Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

BadOptics posted:

loving LOL

wasn’t he in exile during the election? i remember that being a weird thing about the Z man election at the time, but i guess the boss felt safe enough to come home and his luck ran out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's a better chance of Trump being convicted than anything happening to this guy. Cspamers falling for the easiest bait once again.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Not So Fast posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1700881391234269650?t=NzyWboyZ4NeSzHcrQ2X15g&s=19

I'm sure the head of this corruption in Ukraine will be found any day now. Who was this dastardly oligarch funding?

*checks notes*

Oh no

*Yawns* Old news, we knew that from the Pandora Papers, OP.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Vampire Six posted:

Apparently this is General Milley being briefed off a brOSINT terrain map rather than a real tactical map.

I sounded the alarm about this very early in the war - that US decision-makers were going to use trash internet OSINT sources for critical decisionmaking because they're far more convenient than actually gathering and analyzing intelligence inhouse. And here we are, with the CJCS being briefed off an intelligence product that floated out of the black box of the internet.
(from t.me/VampireSix/529, via tgsa)

Brown Moses is basically running Ukraine's war effort :laffo:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Danann posted:

haaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

VoicesCanBe posted:

Fascinating. Almost as if that's the entire strategy and has been from the beginning.

there is a great quote from the John Adams biography they based the miniseries on, where he describes his assessment of the French stance towards America while he's in Paris as exactly that. to the tune of 'America is a drowning sailor, France has her hand at our chin. If we appear likely to slip at last beneath the waves, she will drag us back to air. If we appear likely to find our way back to dry land, she will forcefully return us to the waves.'

the move here is to ask someone else for help but Germany and China are the only two options and I would not put money on that happening.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Danann posted:

Always has.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

haaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha

google, ukraine war tactical map, images , filter to most recent , save - email to boss

wow working in intelligence is easy

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Not So Fast posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1700881391234269650?t=NzyWboyZ4NeSzHcrQ2X15g&s=19

I'm sure the head of this corruption in Ukraine will be found any day now. Who was this dastardly oligarch funding?

*checks notes*

Oh no

This inspired me to go back and see how the media covered him before the war and lmfao, from 2015: "Pro-Kiev militias are fighting Putin, but has Ukraine created a monster it can't control?"

Well, asked and answered, I guess.

\/\/\/dibs on this for my new username\/\/\/\/

Majorian has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Sep 10, 2023

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Rossiyaboo

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Danann posted:

Considering the breathe and depth of American signals gather shouldn't the DIA have better info on the Russians than the Ukrainians. Like beyond money and weapons aren't they giving them satellite data?

Or do they just use these OSINT maps for the photoshoots. Than again we have seen thanka to that discord guy that theyre using OSINT instead of anyhting in house (not that these OSINT people aren't fronts for American intelligence anyway, but it always seemed more focused on being propaganda for the citizens to support the goals of Empire. )

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

Considering the breathe and depth of American signals gather shouldn't the DIA have better info on the Russians than the Ukrainians. Like beyond money and weapons aren't they giving them satellite data?

Or do they just use these OSINT maps for the photoshoots. Than again we have seen thanka to that discord guy that theyre using OSINT instead of anyhting in house (not that these OSINT people aren't fronts for American intelligence anyway, but it always seemed more focused on being propaganda for the citizens to support the goals of Empire. )

it's either an op to make us think they use OSINT or they actually started using it because it was cheap lol

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Danann posted:

Dude's a trailblazer:

quote:

During his tenure, Milley focused heavily on modernization efforts for the Army, which included a new command designed to consolidate the methods that deliver Army capabilities, similar to the approach used by U.S. Special Operations Command. At the 2017 Association of the United States Army annual meeting, Milley described the areas targeted for modernization, including tanks, aircraft and weapons. Milley said: "Faster results will be obtained...as we shift to a SOCOM-like model of buy, try, decide and acquire rather than the current industrial-age linear model that takes years to establish requirements, decades to test, and it may take a long, long time to go from idea to delivery." He warned: "If we adapt to the changing character of war, and we embrace the institutional changes that we need to implement, then we will continue to be the most lethal fighting force in the world for the next seven decades and beyond. If we do not, we will lose the next war.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's either an op to make us think they use OSINT or they actually started using it because it was cheap lol

It's stupid, we just don't know which type of stupid.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Danann posted:

Having a good hearty lol but also being terrified at the same time is a really odd sensation

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BadOptics posted:

Dude's a trailblazer:

"we're not going to lose the next war" says the man about to lose the next war.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

BadOptics posted:

Dude's a trailblazer:

oh so literally no lessons learned after the LCS combat ship debacle then

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

"we're not going to lose the next war" says the man about to lose the next war.

Guy lost *the last war* but fortunately that's neither an issue for someone at that rank and because the public brain dumped Afghanistan.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Danann posted:

Hahaha oh my god

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

Gentlemen as you can see in sector g-4 the giant llamas that shoot lasers from their eyes continue their advance. We expect them to pass the outer security perimeter in the next 3 days.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

BadOptics posted:

During his tenure, Milley focused heavily on modernization efforts for the Army, which included a new command designed to consolidate the methods that deliver Army capabilities, similar to the approach used by U.S. Special Operations Command. At the 2017 Association of the United States Army annual meeting, Milley described the areas targeted for modernization, including tanks, aircraft and weapons. Milley said: "Faster results will be obtained...as we shift to a SOCOM-like model of buy, try, decide and acquire rather than the current industrial-age linear model that takes years to establish requirements, decades to test, and it may take a long, long time to go from idea to delivery." He warned: "If we adapt to the changing character of war, and we embrace the institutional changes that we need to implement, then we will continue to be the most lethal fighting force in the world for the next seven decades and beyond. If we do not, we will lose the next war.

Honestly, the fundamental idea isn't awful. Buying and ordering existing equipment whenever possible is both cheaper and more reliable than creating new bespoke equipment for everything. If he was using this to justify something like buying the Super Tucano then I would think that he's got the right idea.

quote:

U.S. Special Operations Command

quote:

SOCOM-like model

quote:

current industrial-age linear model
These are the exact phrases that tell me that Milley's implementation of this idea will be a shitshow.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also let's be honest the biggest contribution to the Ukrainian war effort from US is just beating up the poor euros.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wait, the guy is named Eyore Kaminsky?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Although that's a bit glib.

Was USA really the largest supplier of artillery ammunition? Either way they don't need an accurate map, or any map for that matter, of what's happening in Ukraine. They just need to keep sending stuff that goes boom over there and hope it doesn't end up killing too many innocent Europeans a few years from now.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

BearsBearsBears posted:

Honestly, the fundamental idea isn't awful. Buying and ordering existing equipment whenever possible is both cheaper and more reliable than creating new bespoke equipment for everything. If he was using this to justify something like buying the Super Tucano then I would think that he's got the right idea.

otoh no. servicing and keeping things running smoothly requires standardization. guns and tanks and poo poo are cutting edge for decades and decades and can usually be kept cutting edge via standardized modifications. the fundamental idea is just a mask for procurement subcommittees being unable or unwilling to award contracts for good weapon platforms in the first place. off the shelf solutions are just a way to grift harder and faster

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Igor, Ihor is Ukrainian version of the spelling because their g and h sounds are mixed. So closer to Eghore if anything.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
:ukraine:

Dokapon Findom has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Jun 12, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

and hope it doesn't end up killing too many innocent Europeans a few years from now.

Why would they not want this? This is a bonus not a drawback

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Danann posted:

This is why nukes will get used

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Brown moses posts a map explaining that all of russia's nukes were sold for vodka, US takes this as a signal to fire the arsenal

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for tankies who mock the pro-Ukraine efforts of the heroes of OSInt - Russia already lost, it just doesn’t know it yet.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1504597290157285377?lang=en

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Danann posted:

lmfao, but also i thought we knew this already?

this was already a reddit-rear end war ran by social media influencers and other social media superstar morons with various flag emojis. using brownmoses maps in an reddit-rear end shoulda been obvious

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Not So Fast posted:

*checks notes*

Oh no

From what I've read from commentators who are familiar with Ukraine this guy had Zelenskyy squarely in his pocket when Zelenskyy was just getting started in politics but when the US took Zelenskyy under their wing they booted Kolomoisky out to the curb and he hasn't been a relevant player in Ukraine since. Zelenskyy saw right away what side his bread was going to be buttered on going forward and acted accordingly.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Xaris posted:

lmfao, but also i thought we knew this already?

this was already a reddit-rear end war ran by social media influencers and other social media superstar morons with various flag emojis. using brownmoses maps in an reddit-rear end shoulda been obvious

Top people being informed by news articles + ISW and the intelligence community being avid Oryx readers was something confirmed for a while yeah. Would've thought they're able to doodle their own maps instead of taking the lazy route of copypasting Brown Moses though.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Danann posted:

It's dumb enough to be real....please.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Danann posted:

man nato is retarded

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

yellowcar posted:

man nato is retarded

Nazis aren't known for their intellectual prowess

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah the issue isn't that there aren't satellites or even people to use that data, but it is "sending the wrong message" and there are using OSINT stuff instead. I think some of the leaks were top secret though, so we know it isn't just underlings using that stuff.

It is also may be why elements of the US apparatus think the war is going better than it actually is. That said, even so, the current narrative is moving toward "grinding the Russians down" rather than outright victory.

Admittedly, satellite data is about how you use it, covert cabal on their youtube channel went and counted all the Russian tanks/artillery systems taken out of storage, and it is clearly far more than they have on the field. Their take was "it was going even worse than Oryx says and the Russians are just being continually slaughtered," rather than entertaining the idea that the Russians may be actually building up a sustainable new force.

It would also suggest the that the theory this was a war primarily pushed by the US intelligence community, was correct, and that the Pentagon and Europeans are simply on for the ride. And the administration is simply a "pass through" for consultants.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Sep 11, 2023

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Ukraine - Ukraine does not have self-sufficiency in tanks missiles ships planes mine-removal machines helicopters artillery glass funds to run an election bridgelayers communications systems, and need their allies an erratic billionaire resident in a neoliberal country that is constitutionally incapable of not pandering to billionaires to supply this

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-09-10/blinken-says-musk-s-starlink-should-keep-giving-ukraine-full-use

Blinken Says Musk’s Starlink Should Keep Giving Ukraine Full Use
By Victoria Cavaliere
September 10, 2023 at 3:50 PM UTC

Elon Musk’s Starlink satellite service is a “vital tool” for Ukraine, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said, following reports the billionaire turned off the system near the Crimean coast last year to prevent a Ukrainian drone attack on Russian warships.

The high-speed broadband system has become an essential communications tool as Ukraine combats Russia’s invasion. Musk began rolling out the system at Ukraine’s request in February 2022 as Russian forces advanced, knocking out Ukrainian communications systems.

“What we would hope and expect is that the technology will remain fully available to the Ukrainians,” Blinken said Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union.

Blinken declined to comment on a report, confirmed by Musk, that the SpaceX founder refused a Ukrainian request to activate the system in the Moscow-annexed Crimean port of Sevastopol last year to help an attack on Russian military vessels.

Asked whether Musk should face consequences, Blinken said, “I can’t speak to a specific episode.”

“Here’s what I can tell you: Starlink has been a vital tool for the Ukrainians to be able to communicate with each other, and particularly for the military to communicate in their effort to defend all of Ukraine’s territory,” he said.

SpaceX didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Musk said last week on X, the social media platform he owns, that he had to reject an emergency request from Ukraine to activate Starlink in Sevastopol.

“The obvious intent being to sink most of the Russian fleet at anchor,” Musk wrote after the episode became public in excerpts from a new biography. “If I had agreed to their request, then SpaceX would be explicitly complicit in a major act of war and conflict escalation.”

Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak criticized the decision, saying Musk’s refusal to activate the system led to Ukrainian civilian deaths, including children.

Musk later threatened to shut off Starlink entirely and set off an uproar by proposing a “peace” plan.

SpaceX briefly requested that the US and its allies foot more of the bill for Starlink in Ukraine, only for Musk to reverse his position and pledge to continue funding the initiative. In June, the Defense Department announced a contract with the closely held company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What is Puccia?