Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Just thought of this and I am going to :justpost: it before I forget it rather than waiting until it actually becomes relevant to the discussion.

ahem...

Ian Machado "About Nothing" Garry.

Thank you and good night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Izzy getting confidently beaten by Strickland proves that MMA makes no fuckin sense

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Izzy didn’t even try for an Imanari roll smh. Just moonwalked around the cage. Very shameful.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

UFC game cover curse undefeated

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Izzy getting confidently beaten by Strickland proves that MMA makes no fuckin sense

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
lmao strickland sucks so bad but watching izzy lose to a bad fighter doing the same thing he's done in his last 20 ufc fights is very funny

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CarlCX posted:

This fight is bullshit, but unlike the last time around, I cannot say I don't care about who wins this bullshit fight, because the idea of Sean Strickland losing two fights, beating two guys so comically irrelevant that I said one of their names three times in this essay and I bet you've already forgotten what it was, and becoming the world champion because the UFC didn't want to wait another month for a title fight and the #1 guy forgot to duck? That would mean more of these writeups. And I actually prefer it when I can stand this stupid loving sport I love.

This is when I knew it'd happen, tbh

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
that was insane. holy poo poo...like watching Jack Burton beat up Muhammad Ali

bbobseq fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 10, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thinking back to 00’s / early 10’s MW and how Anderson would have clowned Strickland so hard the Griffin and Bonnar fights would have looked competitive….

Izzy looked like he was in the Romero fight but without a reason to behave that way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
He got stunned in the first and then behaved in a way that most threatened him getting caught again.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
how does one lose a kickboxing match to a guy in bolt-upright philly shell

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you don’t do the bare bones fundamentals and also that guy is pretty fast and hits hard.

I want to see a stat of how many single kicks Izzy threw. He does that in his other fights, but it didn’t phase Strickland at all.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think i know the answer but were the slurs addressed in the post fight conferences

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

I think i know the answer but were the slurs addressed in the post fight conferences

One intrepid reporter asked Kape ''do you feel bad for saying homophobic slurs?? Dana says you feel bad wink wink'' and Kape smiled and said he did indeed feel bad :) :) :)

Everyone seemed pretty comfortable or at least completely silent letting Strickland continue to call Adesanya a ''Chinaman'' over and over again

Not even gonna pretend to care about the other dude on the prelims using a dumb slur, would prefer it if he was just ignored until he inevitably fades into irrelevance

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jfc, ty

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

A Passing Feeling posted:

Everyone seemed pretty comfortable or at least completely silent letting Strickland continue to call Adesanya a ''Chinaman'' over and over again
Surely I'm late to this party but That Doesn't Even Make Sense

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Shumagorath posted:

Surely I'm late to this party but That Doesn't Even Make Sense

When Izzy was kickboxing for a Chinese organization, he would come out with Chinese flags and so forth. It is a a very clever goof on the internet to say Izzy isn't Nigerian or New Zealander, but a Chinese fighter.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Being Black in China is an experience more racist than a UFC event so I can't blame him for trying to offset that.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Jack Slack fans knowing the real best technique in MMA is a 1-2 stay winning

The fun thing about the UFC having people like Strickland and Kape go on bigoted rants is that it's causing a political scandal because the government paid for them to come then they went full Jordan Peterson.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I don't think izzy should get an immediate rematch, but if he does, I am curious to see how much he can adjust.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
They should absolutely keep Dricus vs Izzy as a non-total fight and give Whittaker a shot against Strickland. It’s a shame that Izzy will get another immediate rematch.

I am curious as to whether this will see Izzy being permanently exposed. Strickland essentially just stood in front of Izzy at an uncomfortable range with a defensive posture, and Izzy had no answers.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
If they don't do the rematch, I wouldn't be shocked if they give it to Chimaev if he wins against Costa next month.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I don't think izzy should get an immediate rematch, but if he does, I am curious to see how much he can adjust.

kimbo305 posted:

Sanko said Izzy is good at dominating the air with hands, which is normally a fair assessment, but those small movements are part of Strickland’s game. He needs to move into his defensive guard really quickly to pick up incoming straight punches. The small moves disguise both his offensive and defensive intent.

I don’t think it would be, at least from among kickboxers. It’s not bizarre as much as it is calculated. He’s doing two things:
- making small forward steps and not making it easier to circle to his outside, his left
- by having that small stepping narrow stance, he’s maximizing how far back his lead leg is talkative to his punch range, which gives him more time to react and check

It’s a loving embarrassment by his camp.
Not having any discipline circling to his right was the foundation for his problems. Gameplan he needed to stick to:
- southpaw, circle to the right, take Strickland’s very tight cross out of the picture. The more Izzy circled to the left, the more he gave up ring generalship.
- when, in the countless times he got Sean leaning back, that’s when you unload the leg kick. Not single with 0 setup. So many times Izzy threw straight punches, missed but had Sean frozen leaning back, and nothing under it.
- a sidekick under the lead arm after selling a good jab. Or failing that, slip deep to the outside to avoid the cross and dig in an inside leg kick

Strickland’s corner talked about not getting snake charmed, but in reality, it was 100% Izzy who fell for it

blue footed boobie posted:

I am curious as to whether this will see Izzy being permanently exposed. Strickland essentially just stood in front of Izzy at an uncomfortable range with a defensive posture, and Izzy had no answers.

I think it takes all of the shine off of City Kickboxing coaching without necessarily ruling out Izzy’s rematch chances.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Digital Jedi posted:

If they don't do the rematch, I wouldn't be shocked if they give it to Chimaev if he wins against Costa next month.

I had legitimately forgotten Chimaev existed.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I would greatly enjoy another Costa Nut Uppercut on Strickland.

Someone tweet at Costa that I will crowdfund his win bonus if he loses by DQ.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Further proof of what Mighty Mouse DJ was saying, MMA is the easiest sport to win a championship in. Striking/footwork in MMA is trash.

How are you going to call yourself Stylebender, and then lose to a guy who spams 1-2?

e: Izzy is 1-2 in his past 3, and 4-3 in his past 7, I hope he doesn't get an immediate rematch.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Striking/footwork in MMA is trash.

Just confoundingly embarrassing given that Izzy was a reasonably high level kickboxer and we spent the past 5 years pumping up his gym as on another level. Izzy himself said that coming to the US and sparring people, that the kickboxing coaching and skill level in NZ were different.
At this point I assume City is contributing little to Volk’s success.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I like Izzy, but he had zero successful defenses of that belt + he didn't really show anything impressive against a guy who pressed and held the up & block buttons for 25min so he doesn't deserve poo poo. Get an impressive win or two then challenge again. We win too cause Champion Defense izzy has only had like 2 good fights whereas contender/challenger izzy is fun as hell

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Unfortunately I didn't see the fight, just a couple highlights on the sports news, but was Izzy rocked pretty hard in the first round? Did he shell up after that, or was the fight different from that?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’m redoing all my middleweight MMAth now based on Izzy’s losses. I’m sorry Bobby Knuckles.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

Unfortunately I didn't see the fight, just a couple highlights on the sports news, but was Izzy rocked pretty hard in the first round? Did he shell up after that, or was the fight different from that?

He was messed up in the first round, but it didn't seem like it compromised him in the fight. Hell, the second round was by far his best round and he won it on every card.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i didn't watch it because i didn't want to watch izzy beat the poo poo out of a what i thought to be far outmatched opponent and i didn't want to see strickland as a champion when what happens in mma happens in mma. but strickland by 5 round decision absolutely breaks my brain and izzy and anyone who ever lost to izzy should be embarrassed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

Did he shell up after that, or was the fight different from that?

He did the scared high guard he’s always done after getting rocked from a pretty vulnerable position, then stood up and got punched more, and seemed pretty clear headed as he complained to the ref about something, maybe the punches being too close to the back of the head.
He might have been fractionally behind on his moves cuz of being rocked, but his corner should have given him any advice, like when he complained his jab was not landing.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 11, 2023

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Cool, appreciate the summaries!

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I didn't think Sean's jab would have enough range to touch Izzy and set up his 2. Definitely knew Izzy would be circling around the entire time, also underestimated Sean's ability to trap him against fence.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
After the first round Izzy looked scared the whole time.

He was basically:
feint , feint , leg kick, feint... move out of the way of Sean's 1-2 and reset, feint , feint , leg kick, feint... move out of the way of Sean's 1-2 and reset, feint

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea that's what I thought, and the times he got caught clean after that seemed to really effect him. I wondered about how much he had actually recovered from the end of the 1st, but he seemed fine enough inbetween the later rounds, so hosed if I know.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The single leg kicks was an obvious sign to me that he was extremely averse to getting hit again, to the exclusion of having a winning game. Again, soooo many times Izzy’s 1-2 had Sean leaning back — perfect time to plant the low kick. Throwing it alone just had Strickland checking it from a mile away.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress Sean Strickland, dgmw, but actually unreal that a title challenger is on the 16k show/16k win contract.

Even if ends up with more through back stage bonuses or whatever, what a joke. Every fighter should be on significantly more, but title fighters should be getting way more on their base pay for a title fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/Jon_Anik/status/1701216954433130692?t=

The 9/11 tribute we needed :911: