Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

grassy gnoll posted:

Backlogust prize messages are going out. I have contacts from everybody up through Diet Poison. If the next block of folks (parabolic, boz, Prof. Banks, and gripweed) can get in touch, it may help accelerate the gift-giving process.

I would be happy to send my prize down the line to someone who participated but has the good sense to not have the closet I do. I can kick in on shipping too if that helps, just let me know. Thanks for running this, it was fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Kyoukai Senki kits are averaging about 33% off atm in HLJ's Fall Sale. Get the one good kit (The Bunyip Boomerang) while you can!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Nyuren is a pretty handsome suit from that line.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I built my first gunpla recently, the HG Schwartzette!

It was easier than I thought it'd be although some of the parts still have stress marks from nipping. Next time I'll try to use some high grit sandpaper for those spots.

The back fin things have a bunch of different configurations in the instructions. I really liked the one-winged style although it seems like it has a real hard time balancing that way unless you "cheat" by using one as a support. I guess that's what action bases are for?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

parabolic posted:

I would be happy to send my prize down the line to someone who participated but has the good sense to not have the closet I do. I can kick in on shipping too if that helps, just let me know. Thanks for running this, it was fun!

Your generosity is appreciated. I'll kick your prize down the chain.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

grassy gnoll posted:

Your generosity is appreciated. I'll kick your prize down the chain.

Same for me, I'll be happier down three kits instead of net down two.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Same for me, I'll be happier down three kits instead of net down two.

Yep, gotcha too. Sorry for not replying earlier.

Here's a neat thing I just found out: my local postal store closes at 4:30 on Saturdays and isn't open Sundays. The first batch of US packages will go out Monday instead. My apologies to everyone who'se gotten back to me with their prize picks.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Good lord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzY7yoMIyC0

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

owns

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really don't get my hobby store. The other ones on the far end of town have good selections and then my local shop *can* have good supply only to then change it up and get a really bizarre set of kits. Three MG Hyaku Shikis, at least five MG Jegans and an entire shelf of 2013 HG Johnny Ridden Custom Zaku 2s. The WFM kits from last month are all gone, even the Michaelis pyramid.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

No such thing as too many Jegans.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont disagree but I don't know who is buying them in town.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I think shops can elect for a "send me whatever, distributor-sempai" deal at a discount instead of specifically requesting stuff so they get whatever Bandai dumped on the US market.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

All of this is great and fun.

But I draw the line at soldering my own leads on nano LEDs. That poo poo is disgusting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

All of this is great and fun.

But I draw the line at soldering my own leads on nano LEDs. That poo poo is disgusting.

Yeah, it's rad as heck but several steps beyond where it stops being fun for me. I'm glad it exists but I'm unlikely to do anything that involved.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Midjack posted:

Yeah, it's rad as heck but several steps beyond where it stops being fun for me. I'm glad it exists but I'm unlikely to do anything that involved.

In a few years for me, maybe. But I'll still buy the LEDs prewired...

Though if I'm not mistaken, it looks like he has some reflow solder paste as well. Which does make things easier. It's cool that at the end of the video he goes over some of the stuff he used.

edit: Stupid BBcode parser.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Midjack posted:

I think shops can elect for a "send me whatever, distributor-sempai" deal at a discount instead of specifically requesting stuff so they get whatever Bandai dumped on the US market.

Jokes on my local store I guess— $475 PG millennium falcons, dozens of $25 Bandai LED pucks, and a smattering of PG light units without a kit to go with them have got to be uncomfortable hanging on the balance sheet

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gripweed posted:

No such thing as too many Jegans.

:hai:

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

my local hobbytown has been killing it lately, they just got a second wave of Calibarns in and I was able to pick one up. gonna try a little blacklight/fluorescent situation on the permet lines like I've seen some japanese youtubers do

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Midjack posted:

Reading and processing this chain of discussion regarding local store stocks, I'm smacked with visions of 2002, and endless surplus Zebra Gundams...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think in my case it's situation where they keep rotating their stock between their Toronto and Ottawa stores. I ain't paying shipping fees though if they're just going to bring it back again in a couple weeks.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

this is crazy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Came out decent. Joints love to loving pop out though. Should give this one final gloss coat. Also it taught me my seam finishes really need to be way better. Didnt realize it was a 1999 kit, lots of weird stuff when compared to modern kits.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 12, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Synthbuttrange posted:

Came out decent. Joints love to loving pop out though. Should give this one final gloss coat. Also it taught me my seam finishes really need to be way better. Didnt realize it was a 1999 kit, lots of weird stuff when compared to modern kits.

Oooh, got the EX-Green Metallic Marker? That looks so good!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trying to edit this to be more color accurate, phone hates the lighting in here. its Mr Hobby Aqueous H89 Metallic green. The plain metal is gunmetal and silver drybrushing. Monoeye is from a craft store's gem sticker section. :3

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Love the color, both the body and the eye!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, that's a lovely green.

Forums poster boz. send me your prize pick.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Just when I think, hey, maybe I'll bust out the compressor soon and get back into painting, these videos come along and totally put me in my place.

(I should totally do it though cause it's hella cathartic doing re-colours)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whats Mr Weathering color based on? Is or more or less aggressive than Tamiya panel liner?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Synthbuttrange posted:

Came out decent. Joints love to loving pop out though.

A layer or two of clear nail polish will make those joints fit right. Put a layer on, give it more time than you think it needs to dry and cure, test fit it, repeat as necessary.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its more the design of the legs that causes it to easily lever the legs out if I try posing them. Will see if the added thickness will help or not!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Whats Mr Weathering color based on? Is or more or less aggressive than Tamiya panel liner?

It basically uses the same sort of enamel/mineral spirits based solution, but the Japanese site claims it's been formulated to be less aggressive to plastic. (Though they do suggest using it sparingly anyway)

From personal experience, it definitely at least has a less aggressive smell than Tamiya. :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No necked one eyed robot gang will grow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Synthbuttrange posted:

No necked one eyed robot gang will grow.

You need a 30MM Revernova and Gardonova to complete your set :devil:

And potentially combine them together.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Speaking of Tamiya’s panel line, do I need to do anything special besides pint/gloss coat first with acrylic and then clean up the panel lining if it goes over with like mineral spirits on a cotton swab? Usually just do a oil wash on military modes which takes care of the panels but don’t want to weather much on most gunpla.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Mr E posted:

Speaking of Tamiya’s panel line, do I need to do anything special besides pint/gloss coat first with acrylic and then clean up the panel lining if it goes over with like mineral spirits on a cotton swab? Usually just do a oil wash on military modes which takes care of the panels but don’t want to weather much on most gunpla.

Be careful using mineral spirits around bandai plastic, it tends to embrittle gunpla's styrene formulation. The acrylic coat + paint should be enough of a barrier but don't swab on too heavily or it can soak through.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Got new parts printed for the TR-6. Finally received the new resin and this stuff prints really nicely, though it's an "ABS-like" so it's flexible. The two halves sagged a bit overnight so I might add in some bracing in the model, or add pin holes and use that to strengthen it.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

So my workflow has been panel line with Tamiya, decal, THEN topcoat. I'm aware that the solvents in the Tamiya can affect the plastic, but I've done three full models so far and haven't seen a single problem. I lay the panel line down, quickly clean up with q-tips, and rather than using a spirit for clean up just use a buffing file to clean up any smudges the q-tips didn't pick up (usually the q-tips is enough).

I *know* that I shouldn't be using the Tamiya on raw plastic, but it works just fine?

Tell me why I'm wrong and dumb goons.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

DrHammond posted:

So my workflow has been panel line with Tamiya, decal, THEN topcoat. I'm aware that the solvents in the Tamiya can affect the plastic, but I've done three full models so far and haven't seen a single problem. I lay the panel line down, quickly clean up with q-tips, and rather than using a spirit for clean up just use a buffing file to clean up any smudges the q-tips didn't pick up (usually the q-tips is enough).

I *know* that I shouldn't be using the Tamiya on raw plastic, but it works just fine?

Tell me why I'm wrong and dumb goons.

I do the same, but only on Bandai's PS plastic, never on ABS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Do any Gunpla kits use ABS? I'm a dumb mech/anime enjoyer, not a materials engineer.