Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At this point it's pretty clear the ALP only continues to exist to reluctantly babysit the government for the LNP when they've screwed up too bad, and give it back as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The IR reforms are pretty decent but Pocock and Lambie just gave the business lobby an extra six months to wreck the debate and probs a year before they become enforceable if ever.

They really hosed themselves with Qantas. Trust in corporations at the lowest point ever meaning you can take advantage of it, but ooops you threw in with the worst corporation lol

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Beloved* Australian** Carrier***" Qantas

*Disliked
**51%
***When not cancelled

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'm not editing that last joke post to include this because gently caress me....

Guardian AU posted:

Multiple sites of possible secret or “clandestine” burials have been discovered on the grounds of one of the most violent and abusive institutions of the Stolen Generations era – Kinchela Aboriginal Boys’ Training Home on the north coast of New South Wales.

At least nine “suspicious” sites of possible graves have been identified by experts surveying the area using ground-penetrating radar (GPR), Guardian Australia can reveal.
“I’m hoping that there’s nothing there. Just as simple as that. But with the way that those people were and the way that they flogged us, it wouldn’t surprise me at all,” the KBHAC chairman, Uncle James Michael “Widdy” Welsh, said.
Survivors say they are frustrated the NSW government has had the report for six months and not responded formally to their requests for further exploratory work on the site.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...tution-children

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Hooray, our own Canadian residential school graveyard situation where the governments try to ignore it.

That's hosed and they should investigate them asap so the survivors and relatives can have at least some form of closure.

Given how hard they've had to argue to have any sort of action in Canada I'm not hopeful, but *maybe* we could do better? I'd like it if we did, but gently caress me I'm not optimistic about our chances

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cross posting from ausgbs

quote:

I'm going into an unfair dismissal hearing tomorrow and based on the respondents submission (that they deliberately left until 5 minutes before cut off so I would not have plenty of time to prepare) I am extremely out of my depth so uh anyone got any advice?

Do they look kindly on self representing ppl with a decent reason for submitting? Or am I basically hosed without a union delegate?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/RBASHAGGER/status/1699350684054032509

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Laserface posted:

Do you have anyone with labour knowledge to go with you?

I only know HR level poo poo, but even then I try to have someone go with me if only for moral support.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Laserface posted:

I agree that at least have some moral support, I really hope you sought any kind of professional advice or something beforehand

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Fair work is stacked with pro boss shitheads. A big part depends who is hearing as to how turbo hosed you are. Fair work usually sides with the boss, especially if they're using experienced lawyers and know the tricks.

Did you really only have 24 hours of finding out it was accepted and would be heard? That's also hosed.

There are lawyers you can ask for help. Bit more expensive than union dues, though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The short version is I was sacked due to performance issues but was not made aware either meeting where the warning/sacking occurred were for that reason, so I had no chance to arrange a support person.

This hearing is to see why they should hear the case at all as it was technically submitted late, despite their own website telling me it was not submitted late, based on the calculation they provided.

I'm not exactly hopeful but the HR person in my social circle told me it should be a cut and dry case in my favor. They are unfortunately unable to assist me with it as they have their own life/work.

I have a lot of complaints about the process itself which I won't bother with here but at this stage it feels like I spent $80 to get dunked on by my ex employer.

Going with the a dennis denuto "it's the vibe" case pretty much.

E: well they dismissed it pretty quickly because it was a late submission hearing that clearly did not meet their expectations for 'exceptional' (their website is 'exceptionally' vague when it comes to termination dates and submitting a claim and i had someone else read it and say i was within the timeframe so idk)

oh well. at the very least i wasted some expensive peoples time.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 8, 2023

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

The short version is I was sacked due to performance issues but was not made aware either meeting where the warning/sacking occurred were for that reason, so I had no chance to arrange a support person.

This hearing is to see why they should hear the case at all as it was technically submitted late, despite their own website telling me it was not submitted late, based on the calculation they provided.

I'm not exactly hopeful but the HR person in my social circle told me it should be a cut and dry case in my favor. They are unfortunately unable to assist me with it as they have their own life/work.

I have a lot of complaints about the process itself which I won't bother with here but at this stage it feels like I spent $80 to get dunked on by my ex employer.

Going with the a dennis denuto "it's the vibe" case pretty much.

E: well they dismissed it pretty quickly because it was a late submission hearing that clearly did not meet their expectations for 'exceptional' (their website is 'exceptionally' vague when it comes to termination dates and submitting a claim and i had someone else read it and say i was within the timeframe so idk)

oh well. at the very least i wasted some expensive peoples time.

Sorry to hear that mate, that's dogshit all around. I pray that the FWC gets loving swept, because they are purely a cudgel against (lower case l) labour.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

On Wednesday Guardian Australia revealed Joyce’s federal electorate council in New England had submitted a motion to this weekend’s Nationals conference calling on the parliamentary party room to “abolish its policy of net zero by 2050 and adopt a policy that will reduce Australia’s CO2 emissions in collaboration with the rest of the world”.

This oval office wants to actively kill us all.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
They suck so bad. I've had to make appearances for bargaining stuff and employers use their mediation function as a delaying tactic. You vote to do something and all of a sudden you can't because you have to wait three weeks for a meeting date, then when you're in the meeting the commissioner or their deputy or whoever doesn't actually know what's going on. It's a total waste of time and a distraction from actually useful stuff like recruiting more union people.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

hooman posted:

This oval office wants to actively kill us all.

The Minerals Council of Australia does you mean. He doesn't give a poo poo.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lmao paying eighty bux to get it thrown out procedurally, don't tell Jeffrey about that as it makes SA look like great value!!!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The funny part is how they accepted it initially and took payment despite it not meeting their requirements. Gotta get paid. This is why you gotta vote labor. They wouldn't set up a poo poo fair work commission.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Recoome posted:

lmao paying eighty bux to get it thrown out procedurally, don't tell Jeffrey about that as it makes SA look like great value!!!

wait what are you talking about?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bald Stalin posted:

The funny part is how they accepted it initially and took payment despite it not meeting their requirements. Gotta get paid. This is why you gotta vote labor. They wouldn't set up a poo poo fair work commission.

Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

wait what are you talking about?

The cost for the application is $80, despite the fact it was basically cut and dry not an exceptional reason. I feel that they could at least waive the fee in the goons case because it really was so black and white.

The 21 day thing before the alleged unfair dismissal runs out of time isn’t ideal either as I think there’s barriers to getting advice or assistance to fill the paperwork out.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
What is the end goal, the perfect situation with an unfair dismissal. I can only imagine if fair work agreed it was unfair dismissal and you got your job back you will be returning to a hostile environment.

Or is it more likely to get a payout from the employer than getting your job back.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

imnotinsane posted:

What is the end goal, the perfect situation with an unfair dismissal. I can only imagine if fair work agreed it was unfair dismissal and you got your job back you will be returning to a hostile environment.

Or is it more likely to get a payout from the employer than getting your job back.

If the relationship can be repaired then you get your job back.

If the relationship has broken down then you get money. Usually no more than six weeks if you do it via Fair Work.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah when the lady running the show asked if I would like to withdraw my case I told her 'no, you can earn your $80, make your findings and rule on it.'

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for August:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Albo does need things. Many things, first maybe a spine.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ShoeFly posted:

Albo does need things. Many things, first maybe a spine.

He's got a spine, look at how hard he's standing up for tax cuts to the rich and the profit margins of landlords.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
holy republic?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
tag yourself im "anything indigenous"

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
what is rudd proposing

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

gently caress/support/campaign lnp/labor/greens

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i'm clown voter

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

"Bad Reason"

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

i too am australian

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Chairman’s Lounge enjoyer Lidia Thorpe

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Recoome posted:

Chairman’s Lounge enjoyer Lidia Thorpe
Was the chairman a stripper? *This is important.*

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Good on her.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Greens fold and pass the HAFF.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

Greens fold and pass the HAFF.

Good, they weren’t likely to get anything more from the ALP and removes a pressure point off the Greens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

HAFF is lovely policy but im not surprised they chose to pass it. i hope they can get funding for public housing at some point but we are governed by landlords so im not holding my breath and its on the state governments to actually build it and the qld state greens mps keep agitating for it so its not an impossible challenge