Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ryanrs posted:

20 x 8 ft sounds more like a job for hot dip galvanizing than electroplating. What is this thing?

Static forces and normal rolling around the floor usage won't break 5/16" bolts. But what about the stair test? That shock load, even if you ease it down the step carefully, could be really high. These bushings should help, though.

e: side view

BTW Thanks everyone for all the ideas. We are engineering the hell out of these casters, and I love it! We may not be able to accurately predict how strong this thing will be, but I think we've identified the weak spots with pretty high confidence. This led to the bushing idea, which mitigates worst-case shock loads for very little extra work. Basically all I have to do is make sure my tube ID matches a honda civic control arm, ha ha.

why not simply build a forklift that is permanently attached to your drill press

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

NewFatMike posted:

Lmao is there no offline mode? SOLIDWORKS people revolted over it and they added one last year for the 3DX stuff.

Dassault also have, hands down, the absolutely most garbage cloud connected CAD system. It’s not only THAT sensitive to dropped packets but it won’t let you loving do anything until it handshakes and it takes FOREVER. Fusion at least will give you a pop up and reconnect you.

Dassault’s own internal network is hot loving garbage. They cap downloads at like 5MB/s and downloading whole manufacturing cells takes ages, let alone downloading whole factories. Just consistently punching themselves in the dick tripping over problems other people solved like twenty years ago. You are not alone in your misery ❤️

Assault France and dethrone Dassault.

There's an offline mode but if you're doing anything PLM, it's useless. You have to have everything open and loaded to use it.

The model I work in is multiple gigabytes so I just grab a coffee when I load it up.

If the Wi-Fi goes down and I lose my credentials, it basically bricks whatever I'm doing. so, I have to shut down and restart. It sucks because I have to hit save on poo poo I don't really want to save just because there's a risk that a single packet decided to gently caress off for the day. The solution is to use Ethernet, but that's not always possible.

My model is smaller than most of the automotive models that CATIA allegedly caters to. I don't know how any big name auto companies use this poo poo.

My favorite fuckups are when something gets snotty and it decides to crash with the message "an unknown error occurred: error ##### - error." No message as to what it is. Just a generic error with the message "error." I'll try to grab a screenshot sometime

Just loving trash all around.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’m subjected to it routinely. The biggest fuckup is that the big boys are running an on premise cloud and they’re EOL’ing that.

On prem is crazy fast compared to cloud, I really have no clue what the hell they’re doing.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

NewFatMike posted:

I’m subjected to it routinely. The biggest fuckup is that the big boys are running an on premise cloud and they’re EOL’ing that.

On prem is crazy fast compared to cloud, I really have no clue what the hell they’re doing.

That's the dumbest loving thing I've ever heard.

I'll bet they're doing that to save money on IT assistance for on prem servers.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Kinda hard to justify billing customers for compute when they own their own machines. Once it's on the cloud, you can start charging per simulation run.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I need a polyurethane bushing design guide.

My design compresses the bushing axially, which is probably not how it's supposed to be used, especially with a steel tube constraining the bushing. Do I need to leave clearance for the bushing to bulge? Do I need to rotate the tube 90 degrees, so the axis of the bushing is parallel to the axis of the casters? That seems more in line with how I've seen them used in cars. I am worried I am not loading these bushings the correct way.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Go look at early 1990s mountain bike shocks. My proflex 656 or 959 has "elastomer" shocks which are just like, really soft polyurethane about 2" in diameter with a hole in the middle. It's three discs with two bushings and a bolt down the middle.

You're probably fine with a 1" diameter bushing with a 5/16 hole in the middle?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The bushing currently in the mail are 1.5" OD, 7/16" ID, 3/4" thick. I think Shore 88A. They arrive tomorrow.

I note that the bike bushings are not constrained on the OD. That is probably important. I need the tubing for other reasons, so maybe I should bump up the tube ID so there is room to squash the bushing.

e: and the bike probably used a smooth shaft, not a bolt with threads. The threads will chew up the bushing, and the steel, and make a terrible noise while it does it. But maybe this is ok since it is not supposed to articulate in normal use. Perhaps the harsh grinding will provide useful negative feedback to the user? (see, now it's a feature)

DIY option: cast your own polyurethane bushings.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 14, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The engineer brain is unparalleled. I like you and will continue to read this... Frankly... You don't know enough to get this perfect in the first try without empirical testing. And in my experience, a C grade version of this will be good enough that you'll move on to something else rather than spend another hour on it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
how often do you foresee moving the drill press around on these wheels, out of curiosity?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

StormDrain posted:

The engineer brain is unparalleled. I like you and will continue to read this... Frankly... You don't know enough to get this perfect in the first try without empirical testing. And in my experience, a C grade version of this will be good enough that you'll move on to something else rather than spend another hour on it.

Strong agree

I mostly assume at this point I'm chatting with Al Pacino nose to the coke, one eye on the CAD and one eye on the... well you know

brb gonna go watch scarface on prime

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

how often do you foresee moving the drill press around on these wheels, out of curiosity?

I don't even use the drill press for drilling holes. If I actually used the drill press with any regularity, I wouldn't need to wheel it into a corner for storage.

e: It seems like I'm just loving around forever and wasting time, but I'm waiting for my engineering samples to arrive. :colbert:

The plan is to send the files to manufacturing on Tuesday. Then it'll be 2 weeks at Sendcutsend, a day to weld, and another week or two at the metal plater. The slow pace of manufacturing leaves me plenty of time for posting.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 14, 2023

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I've cast my own urethane body mounts. It was shore 80 and harder than I imagined, closer to a plastic block in my case. I got a small 2 part kit from smooth on. Mcmaster has this nice chart. From how youre talking about the squish, I think you want about 60A.

And I'll suggest a design change. This should make the math easier.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ryanrs posted:

. The slow pace of manufacturing leaves me plenty of time for posting.

I am entirely ok with this and happy to support you in any over engineering events that may come up at your shop

:justpost:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ryanrs posted:

I don't even use the drill press for drilling holes. If I actually used the drill press with any regularity, I wouldn't need to wheel it into a corner for storage.

I'm late to the party but have an alternative design suggestion:

My office's shop has the same issue with the drill press needing to move, but I didn't trust the knucklehead engineers not to crush themselves with a tipping design.

Instead I built the press stand onto a flat board with this set of wheels:

https://www.amazon.com/Portamate-PM...s%2C181&sr=8-14

Works great, no safety risks.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm late to the party but have an alternative design suggestion:

My office's shop has the same issue with the drill press needing to move, but I didn't trust the knucklehead engineers not to crush themselves with a tipping design.

Instead I built the press stand onto a flat board with this set of wheels:

https://www.amazon.com/Portamate-PM...s%2C181&sr=8-14

Works great, no safety risks.

I was literally just gonna suggest that. Far and away the best solution, except maybe for stairs, but just use a friggin hand dolly like everyone else.

Thought experiments are fun but this is way too much brain power being burnt on this very very simple problem. This is one of those cases where you just overbuild it and get on with your life. If you don't use the above suggestion then you just need to cut, fit and drill one piece of 1/4" web structural angle and send it.

I mean, you could probably just drill holes in the back face of the base casting and bolt the casters directly to it through two of the four mounting holes and it'd still work better than anything you already thought of.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

I mean, you could probably just drill holes in the back face of the base casting and bolt the casters directly to it through two of the four mounting holes and it'd still work better than anything you already thought of.

How's he going to drill holes in the bottom of his drill press dum dum :rolleye:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APl0edZ8gI8

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Simply use your backup drill press to drill the holes.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Just drag the thing god drat

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The drill press needs to be a walker bot like Chomp from Battlebots evolved into. They get 500lbs (double weight) for being walkers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGCnHN983q0&t=100s

Get that drill press into the ring!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So I signed up for the $10/mo SolidWorks Makers offer because I want to learn a little more and $10/mo is a pretty good entry point.

I have also always had the idea to fully 3D print a Settlers of Catan set (minus the cards, obviously). But I also suck at art.

So I settled (heh) on a generic aesthetic. And when I say generic, I mean like the classic unbranded items that we see on shelves in movies and TV (I honestly don't remember if that aesthetic was ever real) with just black lettering on white.

I have number tokens and printed my first 'WOOD' tile last night. This is that tile with a number token from the 5-6 player set.

It's silly, but I actually really kinda dig it and I'm considering putting it up on my Etsy shop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

AlexDeGruven posted:

So I signed up for the $10/mo SolidWorks Makers offer because I want to learn a little more and $10/mo is a pretty good entry point.

I have also always had the idea to fully 3D print a Settlers of Catan set (minus the cards, obviously). But I also suck at art.

So I settled (heh) on a generic aesthetic. And when I say generic, I mean like the classic unbranded items that we see on shelves in movies and TV (I honestly don't remember if that aesthetic was ever real) with just black lettering on white.

I have number tokens and printed my first 'WOOD' tile last night. This is that tile with a number token from the 5-6 player set.

It's silly, but I actually really kinda dig it and I'm considering putting it up on my Etsy shop.

Real Version:
https://www.noname.ca/

Movie Version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9k09WPpNeo

I dig it.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Anybody have a Canadian SW vendor they recommend? And will they license it to us for just a month or two?
We don't normally do enough mechanical CAD stuff to warrant SW- I make due with *spits* alibre, it's honestly fine for 95% of my work (doing in-house parts, jigs, custom organizers and toolholding racks, etc for a dental laboratory) that just needs a robust basic mech CAD functionality, but I'm designing a whole lab's worth of bespoke workbenches and machine enclosures using aluminium extrusions, and Alibre's very rudimentary assembly + parametrics functionality just isn't cutting it. I desperately need Misumi's design library and a real assembly functionality for this, but I don't think I can get them to spend more than a grand or so on it. Completely unrelated- Alibre on a resume doesn't mean anything, but SW definitely does.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I believe GoEngineer does, as well as Hawk Ridge and Trimech? I know Trimech recently acquired Javelin and those two are definitely Canadian.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Phone posting but I swear Misumi has online configurators you might want to use. I remember configuring an entire rectangular prism in extrusion that includes brackets and hw into one part number after seeing a banner ad about it. I don't have personal experience with their extrusion but something like that would simplify things.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have a recommendation on an easy CAD program if I want to create a basic frame made from extruded aluminum (aka 80/20 profiles) and get a list of lengths / quantities of all the parts used? Solidworks seems like overkill (plus the UI loving hates me specifically) and the auto-quoter tool that 80/20 has on their site looks ancient.

Something where I can physically drag out parts like brackets/fasteners and have them snap into place would be nice, maybe something like Tinkercad?

edit: Whups, seems like by coincidence you folks were already talking about this, with regards to Misumi?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Onshape works for figuring it out at least, and you can get the profiles premade, then you just specify the lengths and mate ‘em as needed. It's not a wizard like what it sounds you're after, but this was super painless and cost exactly $0:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 11, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Onshape also has the good decency to come with actually good elearning for that $0 price point if the configurator is insufficient.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I thought tslots had a solidworks plugin but now I see they have an online design tool:
https://www.tslots.com/tbuild-design-software/
https://tbuild.io/

edit And here is the misumi configurators
https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/mech...Display=mc-list

bred fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 11, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

OK thank you, finally something where a caveman like myself can just instantly drag poo poo into the field and it knows how to snap the items together.

Well, mostly, for some reason it added this fastener at some insane orientation, but otherwise great so far:

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I haven't seen that site before and I'm interested in your experience with it if you end up using it. We use TSLOTS at work and we have a bunch of templates, macros, and a library of standard parts. Most of the parts auto mate with mate references and the template/macro combo makes the BOM TSLOT readable.

I leave stuff like that crooked screw as it lays. I argue it still makes an accurate BOM and the assembler will know how to put it together. My time is too precious for that kind of work.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I've grown to enjoy using the Solidworks connected as they have continued to improve it. Offline file storage was made functional, licensing was broken enough to let me use it offline. The background license client even seemingly improved to only asking for password daily instead of what seemed like every time my pc slept. That being said I cancelled my subscription as for the second year in row billing was magically charging me almost $800 for a $99 listed cost. I waited a month and repurchased at the correct price.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 11, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Jesus fucken Christ what

The improvements have been steady — they published a bunch of posts to the CAM program which is really nice.

It’s still not very polished, even on the commercial side. It’s kinda fun watching the SOLIDWORKS and CATIA guys throw blame back and forth about it.

I oughta set up some YouTube videos about how to invite people to your platform so you can collaborate on projects. For some reason, Makers licenses aren’t set up for that automatically.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

bred posted:

I haven't seen that site before and I'm interested in your experience with it if you end up using it. We use TSLOTS at work and we have a bunch of templates, macros, and a library of standard parts. Most of the parts auto mate with mate references and the template/macro combo makes the BOM TSLOT readable.

I leave stuff like that crooked screw as it lays. I argue it still makes an accurate BOM and the assembler will know how to put it together. My time is too precious for that kind of work.

I'm really liking the program, I've been making everything accurate to the millimeter pretty easily. It seems to even make some correct guesses about which way to rotate profiles when I duplicate them.

The crooked screw thing, the problem is it seems to be doing it with literally EVERY fastener, and it throws a poo poo fit about the parts being in collision. I sent an email to support to see what they say about that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

lol if they set up a mate on angled threads instead of the cylindrical parts extra secret double look for modeling screw threads

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Modeling screw threads is punishable by having to buy me more RAM

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Another great reason to use Onshape, you’re making John Hirchstick buy more RAM with his blackjack, Dassault, and PTC money :v:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
My Solidworks can't activate because a Windows update changed the unique ID of my computer in the licensing thing, which is pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rectal Placenta posted:

My Solidworks can't activate because a Windows update changed the unique ID of my computer in the licensing thing, which is pretty sweet.

They used to tie the floating registration to your MAC, which Windows changes on every WiFi connection/reboot since Win10. Good times. Then they killed the online floating license entirely. Even better!