Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
JJK is something of an inversion of the common trope with non-strictly worded magical contracts, here being essentially vibes-based rather than prime opportunities to show off your rules lawyering - attempting to loophole your way out of one is incredibly risky.

Mechamaru probably considered the contract prevented him of setting up any sort of early warning, and we're shown this is the exact same type of veil that was used during the interschool tournament arc, so it was likely already up as soon as the contract was fulfilled despite the delayed visual effect.

ED: he's also a 17yo kid that's ended here in the first place through a series of extremely questionable decisions born out of a mix of extenuating personal circumstances and fundamental character flaws.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I assume there was some sort of condition in their binding vow that prevented him from doing so until the contract was completed

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Isn't the whole thing He'd have to have laid puppets out in advance but then once Geto dropped the veil he wouldn't be able to control them? And he can't really do anything extra in advance because he has a binding contract to not betray them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Asuron posted:

I assume there was some sort of condition in their binding vow that prevented him from doing so until the contract was completed

Even this seems pretty trivially circumvented by writing a note with the main Mechamaru and telling Miwa to read it in like five minutes, with all the information needed to locate him.

It’s good drama but you have to put in way more work to justify it than the story did. Not a huge deal in the grand scope of things but I think you could cut these two episodes and lose nothing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

come on guys they didn't show a body i'm holding out hope

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean he was fighting Mahito, so there is a pretty big chance he is still technically alive.... :v:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Has mahito gotten his hands on a jujutsu sorcerer before? I remember in his s1 focus episodes there being some idle musing about how only some humans can survive the radical transfiguration, and wondering what a jujutsu sorcerer could be put through.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

Has mahito gotten his hands on a jujutsu sorcerer before? I remember in his s1 focus episodes there being some idle musing about how only some humans can survive the radical transfiguration, and wondering what a jujutsu sorcerer could be put through.

He hits Nanami and some Sorcerer Guards at the school with Idle Transfiguration. Nanami is able to partially protect himself for the first touch and just ends up with a injured side. The Sorcerers at the school are killed by being turned into blobs. He says to Nanami that he just has to touch him a few more times.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Poor locust man, he was so smart.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

bit of a set-up episode it feels, even with Yuji finally getting some action. Gonna see some good Gojo stuff next ep hopefully

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

Poor locust man, he was so smart.

He was not strong, thus he was not smart

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

All I know is, while I was amused by locust’s faces, his attacking with his rear end was gross. Glad he’s dead.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

boy did i loving hate this plot development. suguru being a brain cursed spirit after the okkotsu fight neuters a significant portion of the pretty compelling character writing the adults in the series have had up to now, and i can not imagine the meaningful benefits for taking his character in this direction.

in case you're wondering: i went back to see if suguru has stitches in post-okkotsu scenes in case there's some kind of two suguru thing happening because that was the one hook i had for this potentially being interesting and he's got stitches in everything i saw that happens chronologically after okkotsu beats his rear end in the movie and no stitches before, so i think it's straightforward.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Wait, what is it that you think this neuters?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I personally like this twist and where it goes. But I do remember some people being disappointed at first.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Conspiratiorist posted:

Wait, what is it that you think this neuters?

it fucks with the vibes of a lot of the writing of the show. i thought suguru was an incredibly effective villain because he was a human who was both failed by jujutsu society and let down by his personal failings. he had multiple forks in the road and took the wrong one to genocidal every time, and juxtaposing him with gojo's growth as a person and their friendship/rivalry, nanami's dissatisfaction with normal society and the path he took to handle it instead, and the current ills of jujutsu sorcerer society was effective writing. having the plot go "lol, 80% of what he did was a cursed spirit" mitigates a lot of that, and in my mind makes what made the writing in this show feel compelling instead feel a lot more standard.

you've also effectively lost the brotherhood/friendship angle the gojo and suguru conflict had. imagine how effective gojo being stuck in the prison realm is if suguru is human and gojo has to live with his denial that he's not seeing suguru because he's changed to such a degree, and not because gojo was like "yo that's a loving brain spirit." it's an emotional heartbreaker rather than whatever this is.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I like the idea that Gojo killed Geto, but just couldn’t let Shoko exorcise him totally. Gojo’s a little poo poo, but he cares about people, even a genocidal maniac who used to be his best friend.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Dunno, I guess it was cool and all but it's not landing for me.

We didn't learn anything about Gojo and he was removed from the plot right on time for a mentor to be removed. We know he's going to be freed whenever the plot demands it.

The reveal with Geto didn't land either. I had already figured he was being controlled by another curse so that wasn't a surprise, and we don't know anything about the brain curse so there wasn't any emotional reaction for the audience.

Basically, it all felt like a checklist of the hero's journey without a sense of fun. And the show is at it's best when it's fun.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Dunno, I guess it was cool and all but it's not landing for me.

We didn't learn anything about Gojo and he was removed from the plot right on time for a mentor to be removed. We know he's going to be freed whenever the plot demands it.

The reveal with Geto didn't land either. I had already figured he was being controlled by another curse so that wasn't a surprise, and we don't know anything about the brain curse so there wasn't any emotional reaction for the audience.

Basically, it all felt like a checklist of the hero's journey without a sense of fun. And the show is at it's best when it's fun.

Quote not edit etc.

I'm sure I'll be back next week, but the amount of formula without an emotional core is pretty disheartening.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Southern Cassowary posted:

it fucks with the vibes of a lot of the writing of the show. i thought suguru was an incredibly effective villain because he was a human who was both failed by jujutsu society and let down by his personal failings. he had multiple forks in the road and took the wrong one to genocidal every time, and juxtaposing him with gojo's growth as a person and their friendship/rivalry, nanami's dissatisfaction with normal society and the path he took to handle it instead, and the current ills of jujutsu sorcerer society was effective writing. having the plot go "lol, 80% of what he did was a cursed spirit" mitigates a lot of that, and in my mind makes what made the writing in this show feel compelling instead feel a lot more standard.

you've also effectively lost the brotherhood/friendship angle the gojo and suguru conflict had. imagine how effective gojo being stuck in the prison realm is if suguru is human and gojo has to live with his denial that he's not seeing suguru because he's changed to such a degree, and not because gojo was like "yo that's a loving brain spirit." it's an emotional heartbreaker rather than whatever this is.

I'm still not following. The story you're talking about already played out to its conclusion - Gojo was forced to kill his friend at the end of JJK:Z.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm still not following. The story you're talking about already played out to its conclusion - Gojo was forced to kill his friend at the end of JJK:Z.

there's a zillion ways for suguru to still be human and have been killed at the end of the movie in a show filled with magical sorcerers, particularly when the show opens with the guy clearly still being alive somehow, and this one is incredibly unsatisfying and makes suguru a significantly less compelling villain

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Southern Cassowary posted:

there's a zillion ways for suguru to still be human and have been killed at the end of the movie in a show filled with magical sorcerers, particularly when the show opens with the guy clearly still being alive somehow, and this one is incredibly unsatisfying and makes suguru a significantly less compelling villain

I think that's the wrong perspective to look at events from. JJK:Z shows us a Suguru, and the previous arc how is it that he became that person, and it is that information which recontextualizes every appearance "Suguru" then has in JJK.

A core aspect of his character is that he loathed non-sorcerers to the point of genuine physical revulsion, and we learn this came about because despite being the source of cursed spirits (which he also viscerally hated), sorcerers were meant to sacrifice themselves for the sake of propping up their witless society.

So what's up with "Suguru" being all chummy with cursed spirits, and not at all minding surrounding himself with non-sorcerers during leisure time? In fact, he never expresses contempt for anything or anyone, when his hatred (and corollary love for sorcerers, even those who'd oppose him) was previously such a fundamental part of what made the character tick.

The conclusion to draw from that would be he either had a weirdly drastic change of heart that undermines the entirety of his previously developed character arc (and tragic conclusion), or that this chronologically new Suguru is actually a fake of some sort.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the twist was choreographed pretty explicitly, i'll agree (the stitches on his forehead being an obvious visual cue), and i think your view is valid, but i enjoyed the ramifications of the plot more before this twist became explicit. i suspect we'll have to agree to disagree

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Having not seen the movie this all came out of left field. I didn’t even remember that everyone thought suguru was dead. My most recent memory of him, from the first couple of episodes of the season, really backs up cassowary’s read of his actions. On top of that the flash backs cut in there were confusing. They were super fast and had a little kid or something. If the point is to show him getting dead and eaten show the parts of the movie leading up to that.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Or you could have just watched the movie at some point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

everydayfalls posted:

Having not seen the movie this all came out of left field. I didn’t even remember that everyone thought suguru was dead. My most recent memory of him, from the first couple of episodes of the season, really backs up cassowary’s read of his actions. On top of that the flash backs cut in there were confusing. They were super fast and had a little kid or something. If the point is to show him getting dead and eaten show the parts of the movie leading up to that.

The movie was required viewing before this point pretty much.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

JJK probably would have benefited from re-airing the movie as a short preview arc like Demon Slayer did, but yea in the modern age of canon movies being made for specific arcs you gotta watch that poo poo.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's on crunchyroll and it's a cool movie. i'd watch it

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

The movie was required viewing before this point pretty much.

I mean that's obvious now.

But why would they put a whole flashback arc at the beginning of this series and not have it contain the relevant details to the reset of the season? None of the characters arc in the beginning of the season matters because a curse ate him. It still counts because it showed Goto's arc which was cool and good. But why waste the screen time on Suguru's realization that he should kill all normies if he has been dead this whole time.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

After thinking about it, there's a few things that aren't working for me.

I don't know if this is something specific to the adaptation, but the fights in season 1 gave the characters a chance to grow (as sorcerers or a team), or expound their personal philosophy. We didn't get much of that in early season 2, and none since we returned to the present. I don't watch shounen for the punching, I watch shounen so characters can express themselves through punching. I don't know if anything could have been done with Yuji's fight, but I feel it was a waste with Gojo. We needed an internal monologue instead of the narrator.

Also, the curses just aren't very entertaining, so it feels like we're wasting time with them even though they're trying to give us some visuals.

And that leads me to the third part, which is how they explained the plot with the curses and then showed it happening. You explain a plan in detail so you can skip past it later or so the audience knows what was supposed to happen when things go off the rails. Or you leave a plan vague so the audience has a sense of tension. But we got a lot of explanation and then it went off perfectly, which just wastes everyone's time.

All that said, I'm hopeful for the next few episodes now that we got this out of the way. Let's see how everyone else deals with the bad hand they're stuck with.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 22, 2023

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

everydayfalls posted:

But why would they put a whole flashback arc at the beginning of this series and not have it contain the relevant details to the reset of the season? None of the characters arc in the beginning of the season matters because a curse ate him. It still counts because it showed Goto's arc which was cool and good. But why waste the screen time on Suguru's realization that he should kill all normies if he has been dead this whole time.

I don't want to say anything outright, but there's some specific shots in the opening that make me think some of that stuff is relevant beyond being backstory for Gojo and Geto. (Yes, I'm the person who obsessively checks stillframes for hints.)

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

everydayfalls posted:

It was always obvious because it was never presented or talked about as anything other than canon.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I actually like the twist of "actually the motivation you think is happening was you projecting, that guy is dead"

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, I think it’s really good. And with the context of the movie, it’s not even much of a twist — it’s just the plot progressing the way it should due to all the evidence given.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't care about any of that those fight sequences were loving sick

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

holy crap did you see that man's face this anime is fantastic

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Gojo’s little laugh as he was walking towards Hanami was great detail. Similar to the one he made when he stepped on those ants during the ball game but more malevolent.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

yum posted:

Gojo’s little laugh as he was walking towards Hanami was great detail. Similar to the one he made when he stepped on those ants during the ball game but more malevolent.

Agreed! I hope Hanami’s grand explosion doesn’t turn into some bullshit, “But they dropped a seed and thus were okay,” poo poo that happened in their previous fight. Let. Hanami. Die.

Their death was cool, again.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hanami is definitely dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Ripping out those branch horn things was pretty awesome.