Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

This political compass feels forced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

"Yes, unproblematic" got me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"Yes, unproblematic" got me.

Tag yourself, I'm "Helpful but carnivorous"

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm "unable to live up to own standards"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

maybealabia posted:

This political compass feels forced

People turn to the political compass in search of a direction, but in the end they are still at a loss

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

The choice of this wikipedia table to have Wargs but not Elves, Dwarves, or Dragons is extremely weird to me. Are all 'good' races assumed to have souls, even though the article is contentious on if elves have souls?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Elves, Dwarves, and Ents are canonically established to also have souls; their existence as a union of soul and flesh is actually a defining characteristic of the “Children of Ilúvatar” (i.e. the “good” and sapient races).

Likewise, dragons share a pretty similar origin story to Orcs; Morgoth did it, but exactly how, Tolkien never figured out how to reconcile with his Catholicism.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm derived from beasts

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m Sentient.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Platystemon posted:

I’m Sentient.

Don't make claims you can't prove. :colbert:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

TinTower posted:

Elves, Dwarves, and Ents are canonically established to also have souls; their existence as a union of soul and flesh is actually a defining characteristic of the “Children of Ilúvatar” (i.e. the “good” and sapient races).

Likewise, dragons share a pretty similar origin story to Orcs; Morgoth did it, but exactly how, Tolkien never figured out how to reconcile with his Catholicism.

Yeah much like in catholic doctrine, Satan/Morgoth can't create, only corrupt existing things into new forms. So orcs are elves or some other child of Illuvatar twisted into a foul shape. Dragons are probably something like twisted Maiar like balrogs, Sauron, or Saruman.

Interestingly, dwarves were originally an attempt by the Valar Aulë (god of smiths and matter) to make creatures, but lacked the ability to endow them with a soul so they were basically automatons. They got souls after Illuvatar forgave Aulë for overstepping his bounds. Notably, Sauron and Saruman were both Maiar close to Aulë before they were tempted by Melkor/Morgoth and Fëanor was a big follower of him.

DarkHorse has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Sep 11, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Maxwells Demon posted:

The choice of this wikipedia table to have Wargs but not Elves, Dwarves, or Dragons is extremely weird to me. Are all 'good' races assumed to have souls, even though the article is contentious on if elves have souls?
Wargs are also specifically on there because there's textual evidence that they have some kind of intelligence - Tolkien uses verbs like "plan" and calls what they have "tactics" or something - so it's a level between orcs/goblins (deliberate tactics, speech) and beasts (no tactics, no speech).

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Maxwells Demon posted:

Elves have souls but are definitely problematic.

Fuckin Fëanor.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Fuckin Fëanor.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Fuckin Fëanor.

To be said in the exact same tone one might declare "gently caress Ted Faro"

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Can you explain that again in the form of a clown?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Angepain posted:

1 2 3 4:ccb:

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

TinTower posted:

Excuse me while I put my nerd glasses on.

There are four incarnate races with souls: Men, Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs. Ents do not have souls.

Their origins aren't ever explicitly stated, but they seem to be nature spirits who entered into trees at Eru's bidding — and spirits do not have souls within Tolkien's subcreation. Given that Manwë prophesized their coming while deliberating on his memories of the Music of the Ainur, it seems the Ents were always going to come into being, but that this was only consciously realized when Yavanna came to Manwë for help.

The origins of dragons is even murkier, but is probably something very similar.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Fuckin Fëanor.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Did Tolkien ever give an opinion on whether all dogs go to Heaven? This will help us determine his credibility on more esoteric things like elves.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Angepain posted:

sure, just turn off your monitor

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
All Wargs go to Valinor

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Angepain posted:

Turn off your monitor.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Brandon Proust posted:

sure, just turn off your monitor

Platystemon posted:

Turn off your monitor.

Looks like you already turned yours off

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It wouldn’t be such a deep cut had it not come from a clown. :smith:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Falathrim posted:

Excuse me while I put my nerd glasses on.

There are four incarnate races with souls: Men, Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs. Ents do not have souls.

Their origins aren't ever explicitly stated, but they seem to be nature spirits who entered into trees at Eru's bidding — and spirits do not have souls within Tolkien's subcreation. Given that Manwë prophesized their coming while deliberating on his memories of the Music of the Ainur, it seems the Ents were always going to come into being, but that this was only consciously realized when Yavanna came to Manwë for help.

The origins of dragons is even murkier, but is probably something very similar.

The impression I got from the Silmarillion (and also from HoME) is that after Ilúvatar adopted the Dwarves, Yavanna said “uh, big G, we need someone to protect the trees from the beardy fuckers” and Eru was like “u cheeky little poo poo, but tbh u have a point”, so he ensouled the Ents as a check on the Dwarves.

Pretty sure Treebeard’s song in TTT also has the Ents alongside the other Children, but tbh he’s probably a bit biased.

(Also, whether orcs have souls is literally one of the biggest problems Tolkien had, because if they do, it means they could be Saved, and the wholesale slaughter of them we see in the entire legendarium is on a weak moral footing.)

TinTower has a new favorite as of 09:11 on Sep 12, 2023

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah much like in catholic doctrine, Satan/Morgoth can't create, only corrupt existing things into new forms.

it'd be nice if a bunch of well-regarded fantasy wasn't just a weird retelling of the bible

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

TinTower posted:

The impression I got from the Silmarillion (and also from HoME) is that after Ilúvatar adopted the Dwarves, Yavanna said “uh, big G, we need someone to protect the trees from the beardy fuckers” and Eru was like “u cheeky little poo poo, but tbh u have a point”, so he ensouled the Ents as a check on the Dwarves.

Pretty sure Treebeard’s song in TTT also has the Ents alongside the other Children, but tbh he’s probably a bit biased.

(Also, whether orcs have souls is literally one of the biggest problems Tolkien had, because if they do, it means they could be Saved, and the wholesale slaughter of them we see in the entire legendarium is on a weak moral footing.)

Tolkien wrote fairly extensively on what it meant to have a soul, and was eventually pretty explicit about who did and did not have one. He described them as the four Incarnate races. He grappled for years with the origins of the Orcs because he found the idea of their having souls incredibly problematic. He toyed with the idea of their being like the Ents and Eagles, spirits that entered into something physical that Morgoth and Sauron had made, but do a cursory reading of LotR and you can tell that something just feels different between the two situations. Tolkien eventually realized he'd written himself into a corner and conceded the point that Orcs must be corrupted Men (not Elves, as Christopher described in his published Silmarillion), and therefore must have souls.

As you've pointed out, this does mean that the wholesale slaughter of Orcs wasn't exactly awesome, but decided that their complete thralldom under Morgoth and then Sauron made it so that while redemption was strictly speaking possible, it was unlikely. So let's just sweep this under the rug and move on.

On Ents and their nature, bolding obviously mine:

The Silmarillion posted:

Then Manwë awoke, and he went down to Yavanna upon Ezellohar, and he sat beside her beneath the Two Trees. And Manwë said: ‘O Kementári, Eru hath spoken, saying: “Do then any of the Valar suppose that I did not hear all the Song, even the least sound of the least voice? Behold! When the Children awake, then the thought of Yavanna will awake also, and it will summon spirits from afar, and they will go among the kelvar and the olvar, and some will dwell therein, and be held in reverence, and their just anger shall be feared.'"

An incarnate soul is something granted directly by Eru; as opposed to a spirit which wanders around and takes up a physical dwelling in something that already exists.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Falathrim posted:

Tolkien eventually realized he'd written himself into a corner and conceded the point that Orcs must be corrupted Men (not Elves, as Christopher described in his published Silmarillion), and therefore must have souls.

Really! Huh. I was about to say that this contradicted something I like about the Orcs, that they seem to have Elf-like lifespans, but then I remembered that the most famous way in which Sauron's power corrupts characters physically is by not dying. So it's not unreasonable for them to be Men Who Live Too Long. It'd certainly be a perversion of the natural order.

(There's a conversation in... Either the end of book four or start of book five between a couple Orcs and it's possible to read it as the older Orc referring to when Melkor was still in charge. Which kind of fits with "in earlier drafts, Gondolin only fell a couple hundred years ago.")

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

redleader posted:

it'd be nice if a bunch of well-regarded fantasy wasn't just a weird retelling of the bible
Honestly, Tolkien's Catholicism, while it suffuses the entire work, is way less egregious than poo poo like C.S. Lewis who comes off like a total hack in everything he ever wrote imo. I cannot believe those two were friends based solely on their writing alone.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Or maybe just let some orcs be good and get loving murdered in a war their leadership foisted upon them.

The themes of lotr imply industrial society is to the detriment of goodness, and orcs live in exactly that kind of society that obsesses over production and war, sacrificing connection with nature and individual virtue.

Orcs are just Americans is what I'm saying.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

So you're on team no souls then?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Honestly, Tolkien's Catholicism, while it suffuses the entire work, is way less egregious than poo poo like C.S. Lewis who comes off like a total hack in everything he ever wrote imo. I cannot believe those two were friends based solely on their writing alone.

Yeah agreed. Tolkien's Catholicism led to some problematic stuff in his writing and it absolutely suffuses it, but it's not obnoxiously preachy like C.S. Lewis can be. Lots of people at that time were devotedly religious and it's impossible for it to not to affect their work, but Lewis reveled in it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I like books about alien angels and Lion Jesus. But I also like books about wizard angels and mountain Hebrews.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Sep 12, 2023

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Paladinus posted:

I like books about alien angels and Lion Jesus. But I also like books about wizard angels and mountain Hebrews.

:same:
I need to read more of Lewis's stuff for adults. Hell, I need to reread the Space Trilogy as an adult. It was absolutely wild reading it as a kid.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ikanreed posted:

Or maybe just let some orcs be good and get loving murdered in a war their leadership foisted upon them.

The themes of lotr imply industrial society is to the detriment of goodness, and orcs live in exactly that kind of society that obsesses over production and war, sacrificing connection with nature and individual virtue.

Orcs are just Americans is what I'm saying.

I've often wondered what it would be like to be an orc logistics clerk.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
CS lewis also famously got so owned by woman in a debate about naturalism that he almost stopped writing entirely.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ikanreed posted:

CS lewis also famously got so owned by woman in a debate about naturalism that he almost stopped writing entirely.

I got that confused with naturism for a second, the debate I imagined was far more interesting

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I've often wondered what it would be like to be an orc logistics clerk.
Have you read Bret Deveraux's bits on LotR? Turns out Sauron and his orcs can do logistics. Saruman, on the other hand, assumes running an army is trivially comprehended by his sheer genius.

originally Sauron filled the role of Melkor's truck & train nazis so it fits pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

https://acoup.blog/2020/06/19/collections-the-battle-of-helms-deep-part-viii-the-mind-of-saruman/

(the bit about the ring working "how I think" is that saruman is convinced the ring will let him overthrow sauron and lol)