Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Just wanted to pop in and say:

Don't sleep on Sea of Stars. If you have any fondness for classical RPGs like Chrono Trigger, you'll love it. It's been really fun - I'm about 2 hours in - and it runs great on the Deck.

Oh and the music is great too. Not quite Chrono Trigger levels, but very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

My expectations are slightly tempered due to my reading that FSR 1.0 is more of an upscaling algorithm (lower resolution rendering) while FSR 2.0 is more of a temporal smoothing algorithm (less FPS or something?).

They both upscale, but 1 is a lovely algorithm that works on a individual frame by frame basis, like DLSS 1 did.

FSR 2, like DLSS 2, does frame reconstruction based on past frames but working directly with motion vectors not just the final image. Both FSR2 and DLSS 2 can add detail that would not be present if the game was rendering at native res, which is kind of incredible until you realize they are working with more information than the straight geometry alone.

They both give anti aliasing for free. And if you have the GPU, you can run them at native res for just AA - Nvidia calls this DLAA I believe.

Done well, both FSR2 and DLSS 2 can look better than native resolution in many ways while actually rendering at a lower resolution internally. But: it depends on the implementation. And more importantly: they both do better the higher the input resolution and the Deck's native resolution is already pretty low at 800p, but then again the output screen is small so we'll have to wait and see how well it displays once we get our hands on it.

There are already games available on the Deck with FSR2, but since it can depend on the implementation, they are not indicative of what BG3 may look like with it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've gotten through the first area after the intro and my opinion is basically: too many encounters. In the intro up until you leave the first island I thought it was just the right amount of encounters. But after that it was a bit tedious.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've gotten through the first area after the intro and my opinion is basically: too many encounters. In the intro up until you leave the first island I thought it was just the right amount of encounters. But after that it was a bit tedious.

I don't mind it, but I can see how someone else might.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Schir posted:

but at the cost of making the battery run at 100C or more.

Hey guys I’m gonna over clock my deck real quick

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

GigaPeon posted:

There’s always a certain amount of input lag for me, at least. I’m told that turning off frame rate/refresh rate limits can help but it’s always still there for me.

That's why I thought maybe hardwaremattered; I actually get less (no) noticeable input lag with my streaming setup from gamepass to desktop to deck, but launching straight from the deck gives noticeableslowdown and lag.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Poorly gluing cartridge holders to the back of your Nintendo DS leads to modifications like this if left untreated.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Well what's done is already done. Might as well do a gamers Nexus style benchmark vid now.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I put Armored Core VI on but any time I try to play the screen goes white and I have to restart the deck. I installed the game on my laptop then copied the files to the Deck and added it as a nonsteam game. first thing I've done besides install Decky. any ideas?

e: I just started Frostpunk which I put on using the same method and it's working. AC VI still giving me whitescreen though.

indigi fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 11, 2023

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Annath posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say:

Don't sleep on Sea of Stars. If you have any fondness for classical RPGs like Chrono Trigger, you'll love it. It's been really fun - I'm about 2 hours in - and it runs great on the Deck.

Oh and the music is great too. Not quite Chrono Trigger levels, but very good.

Same, but Chained Echoes. I found the encounter pacing to be near perfect.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Been streaming BG3 at home via Moonlight. That game works really well over Moonlight, on Deck and surprisingly iPad + keyboard.

Starfield is better on Moonlight than locally on Deck;I had to uninstall it, it’s unplayable. That said, Starfield isn’t even that great on 4080. I played a bit this morning and felt a lot of lag when moving the camera. Then I checked on the computer itself and turns out it was the same.

Anyway. What do I need to do on my PC’s end to use Moonlight on the go?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

indigi posted:

I put Armored Core VI on but any time I try to play the screen goes white and I have to restart the deck. I installed the game on my laptop then copied the files to the Deck and added it as a nonsteam game. first thing I've done besides install Decky. any ideas?

e: I just started Frostpunk which I put on using the same method and it's working. AC VI still giving me whitescreen though.

Not every game is going to work with you just dumping the install folder over because some of them need to have whatever version of .net and/or other windows components included in their prefix.

You’d have to install it using something like Lutris that’ll let you also manage the prefix, or buy it on steam so steam does it all for you.

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

Hammer Bro. posted:

Did you install a custom drive?

Nah it's the stock 512 GB drive

Funnily enough today is the first day in at least a week, where I've had no wake-from-sleep issues. The custom wake animation is turned OFF.

So maybe that one day where I had custom wake animations turned on, didn't help right away, but then turning it back off helped :iiam:

And ofc there's a 90% chance it'll break again after I typed all this out

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
What's the best way to get GZDoom and mods/wads running on this thing? I want to try Brutal Doom and Reelism and poo poo. I had a setup running before about a year ago but I had to send my Deck in for repairs and they wiped the HD and I can't recall precisely how I had it all set up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Install GZDoom and use ZDL as a launcher

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

turning my deck into a shrapnel grenade

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Thanks! One more question; so I finally figured out Lutris. I want to have both a vanilla/DevilutionX Diablo install and a Tchernobog install running. How do I do that? Duplicate seems to do nothing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ragequit posted:

Poorly gluing cartridge holders to the back of your Nintendo DS leads to modifications like this if left untreated.

This is a deep cut that I appreciate :hmmyes:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TwoStoryHouseCat posted:

And ofc there's a 90% chance it'll break again after I typed all this out

Yeah I was also gettin' all kinds of superstitious but at least you have the reassurance based on my similar case study that Valve will likely RMA it after a few general (wipey) troubleshooting steps. Holocure / VS might be a good quick-install game to test out the behavior with.

Of course, it will take a week or so to ship there and back.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Not every game is going to work with you just dumping the install folder over because some of them need to have whatever version of .net and/or other windows components included in their prefix.

You’d have to install it using something like Lutris that’ll let you also manage the prefix, or buy it on steam so steam does it all for you.

well that's a pain in the rear end, it worked fine on the video I watched. guess I'll have to futz with lutris, the main video I found has four "key moments" that are just workarounds for apparently common problems

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sorry that pirating your games isn’t as easy as you’d like :shrug:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that's ok it's well worth the effort

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I simply just buy the game for $5 or whatever.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

pirating games ftw

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

pirating games ftw

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PC gamers will buy a $500 handheld to avoid paying $10 for a videogame.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yep, why pay twice. but if anyone sees AC6 on sale for $5 let me know

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just buy the video game you want to play and the deck will install it for you it really is that easy.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

no thanks, I'd rather do it for free

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

indigi posted:

well that's a pain in the rear end, it worked fine on the video I watched. guess I'll have to futz with lutris, the main video I found has four "key moments" that are just workarounds for apparently common problems

Haven't had to use Lutris but Protontricks is available as a Flatpak through the Discover store on the Deck and can manage installs of dependencies very well. It has a list of the most common ones like various versions of the VC++ libs and will fetch and install them for you, all you have to do is select the game from its list.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

njsykora posted:

PC gamers will buy a $500 handheld to avoid paying $10 for a videogame.

i bought a $500 console so i could avoid paying many $10s of dollars of games handheld

no better way to play all my romhacks and poo poo

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'm an ethical pirate. i only pirate nintendo games.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm a lazy pirate. Too much work I'd rather pay for it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I loved Assassin's Creed 4, so I pirate tobacco and sugar.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vic posted:

I'm a lazy pirate. Too much work I'd rather pay for it.

this was valves biggest win

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s true

I started stealing way less games once steam became so ubiquitous

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I used to have literally hundreds of gigs of music, until Spotify launched in the US, and now they're all gone.

Which in hindsight was stupid because I had some really obscure albums, some of which I've never been able to relocate.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have spent a lot of money on indie games because of the Deck. They are very good, and fun.

Some indie games worth playing:
Chronicon
Coromon
Hadean Tactics
Lost in Fantaland (no controller support yet)

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Annath posted:

I used to have literally hundreds of gigs of music, until Spotify launched in the US, and now they're all gone.

Which in hindsight was stupid because I had some really obscure albums, some of which I've never been able to relocate.

YouTube Music - formerly Google Play Music - mostly sucks, but I don't want to give up on all the music I've uploaded to my library over the years that would never come to regular streaming (like a bunch of DatPiff-era mixtapes where the samples wouldn't get cleared)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Annath posted:

My white whale is an extremely specific version of The Gambler by Kenny Rogers I had where he moves just a little bit faster through a few lines, just sounds a little snappier and it's absolutely better than the commonly available one