Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Alf Annual #1 (1988)

Alf Annual #3 (1990)

Alf #1 (1988)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SimonChris posted:

Alf Annual #3 (1990)

I had this one as a kid! I knew from the first SKAROOOOOM.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Forum accident posted:

Marvel Team-Up #16 (1973)

Kinda seemed like a perfect avatar.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Tricky Ed posted:

Kinda seemed like a perfect avatar.

it's like my spirit animal in spider-man form

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 8, 2023

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Basilisk rules his real name is Basil Elks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Push El Burrito posted:

I miss that era.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Push El Burrito posted:

I foresee some problems with his method of flying, which appears to be having to stare at the ground.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

davidspackage posted:

I foresee some problems with his method of flying, which appears to be having to stare at the ground.

Maybe he is indestructible while he is blasting?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Bruceski posted:

I had this one as a kid! I knew from the first SKAROOOOOM.

ALF was the first Marvel comic I collected religiously. (STAR Comics count, dammit!)

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

Marvel Team-Up #37 (1975)

Detective Comics #27 (1939)

Corporate Crime Comics (1979)

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Forum accident posted:

you fiend

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Forum accident posted:

Marvel Team-Up #37 (1975)

Has Spiderman ever teamed up with the Harlem Globetrotters?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Elissimpark posted:

Has Spiderman ever teamed up with the Harlem Globetrotters?

I cannot think of anything more fitting for Spider-Man than seeing him being clowned on by the Harlem Globetrotters while he's trying to alert them to the real threat.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Drakyn posted:

you fiend

(Heh heh)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Forum accident posted:

Must be some drat big guinea pigs

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Why, exactly?

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grendels Dad posted:

Maybe he is indestructible while he is blasting?

If you're not nigh indestructible, you're nothing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TwoPair posted:

Nah, just a lot at a time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why, exactly?

I mean if it's also man-sized...

edit: :doh: I'm a loving idiot and didn't realize the guy probably meant it in the way that he's been gassing "guinea pigs" for a while

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 8, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Detective Comics #12 (1938)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Love that lettering though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Well don't hold us in suspense did he finish the crisp refreshing glass of ginger ale or not?!

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Lobok posted:

Well don't hold us in suspense did he finish the crisp refreshing glass of ginger ale or not?!

It's not ginger ale.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

(heh! heh!)

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

Spider-Man 2099 Annual #1 (1994)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Forum accident posted:

Spider-Man 2099 Annual #1 (1994)

And the exciting conclusion:

Same issue as above.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Detective Comics #12 (1938)

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Batman two-eighty-something, 1976ish

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Metamorpho, The Element Man #5 (1966)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Pitt (1988)

Context: The New Universe was a Marvel imprint that ran from 1986 to 1989 and attempted to create a more realistic and grounded superhero universe. The New Universe was identical to ours until the arrival of superheroes in 1986, at which point the universes would start to diverge. Readers would be able to see how the influence of superheroes would realistically affect societal development.

However, the writers never really got around to adding any realistic superhero-based developments, and when this was pointed out, their response was to blow up Pittsburgh, turning it into The Pitt. There, it's diverged! Are you happy now? I find the whole thing hilarious.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 11, 2023

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
They also blew up Pittsburgh because it was Jim Shooter's hometown.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

At least Latrobe was spared, so we could enjoy delicious locally-brewed Rolling Rock (until Inbev ruined it)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

At least Latrobe was spared, so we could enjoy delicious locally-brewed Rolling Rock (until Inbev ruined it)

Don't worry, they figured out whatever chemical was leaking into the tanks to give it its flavor and "fixed" it

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

SimonChris posted:

The Pitt (1988)

Context: The New Universe was a Marvel imprint that ran from 1986 to 1989 and attempted to create a more realistic and grounded superhero universe. The New Universe was identical to ours until the arrival of superheroes in 1986, at which point the universes would start to diverge. Readers would be able to see how the influence of superheroes would realistically affect societal development.

However, the writers never really got around to adding any realistic superhero-based developments, and when this was pointed out, their response was to blow up Pittsburgh, turning it into The Pitt. There, it's diverged! Are you happy now? I find the whole thing hilarious.

Man I might just be a big wrestling fan who can't stop using his outdated terminology everywhere but boy-howdy are comic book writers ever carnie as gently caress.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Radioactive Man #1 (1993)

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SimonChris posted:

Part of the problem was that a lot of the early writers didn't seem to get the message that the New Universe was meant to be identical to ours to start off with - so a lot of the characters had backstories that didn't make sense, like being a fantasy warrior from a parallel world, or getting their abilities from aliens. That meant there was a lot of backtracking and retconning out the more egregious elements from those stories over the first year or so of publication just to get things back to where they were meant to have started, which didn't leave a lot of room for making big changes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

Part of the problem was that a lot of the early writers didn't seem to get the message that the New Universe was meant to be identical to ours to start off with - so a lot of the characters had backstories that didn't make sense, like being a fantasy warrior from a parallel world, or getting their abilities from aliens. That meant there was a lot of backtracking and retconning out the more egregious elements from those stories over the first year or so of publication just to get things back to where they were meant to have started, which didn't leave a lot of room for making big changes.

So the problem was a dogshit editor?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Nilbop posted:

Man I might just be a big wrestling fan who can't stop using his outdated terminology everywhere but boy-howdy are comic book writers ever carnie as gently caress.

Seems like it'd lead to a lot of interesting stories, would it become an inland sea? would that drain the oceans at all? Is that where they were gonna do an Aquaman book?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
As I recall the immediate aftermath was that since the sphere was basically a total annihilation rather than an explosion, it created a vacuum that swept in debris and toxic runoff, along with inrush from the Ohio and Allegheny that filled the crater with toxic backwash almost immediately. I don't think they really did much with it afterward, though, except as a hook for future developments. And on that note, I also recall that the next 'event' follow-up was the U.S. treating it as an act of terrorism and drafting paranormals to fight a war against the first country/entity that looked at us funny and, well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SimonChris posted:

their response was to blow up Pittsburgh, turning it into The Pitt.

Huh, Fallout 3 totally stole that idea, then.