Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

So many times teams are awful for years after getting their savior QB. It really is about building a team.

Goff looks like he could be successful on an improving Lions team. If the team sucked Detroit fans would be looking longingly for the next QB too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

As a Detroit fan, if Goff alone sucked I’d be wishing for a new QB. If the entire team sucked I’d be begging for a new front and back office.

I’ve lived through lovely QBs without thinking that replacing them would alleviate our woes, and I’d be fine with Goff as a placeholder while we tried to hammer poo poo out for another decade or two. I can’t blame a QB in those circumstances.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Goff did suck. Then we fired the OC and he didn't anymore. Have you considered firing your OC, Bears?

One thing I will say is that Bob Quinn sucked but the one single thing he did do was draft a great o line for the Lions. It was so huge that the Lions were able to just basically skip that step in the rebuild, plus they had Penei fall right into their laps in Holmes first draft.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Was Goff Detroit’s only QB to have won a Super Bowl?

We went through a lot in the 2000s so I’m not sure, but it seems like it might be true.

e: wait, durr, he just played in one. Stafford won it for LA

Question remains: have we had a QB who won a ring?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Technically, Charlie Batch has a ring. But other than Stafford that's it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Stanton and Stafford did, but only after leaving the Lions, obviously. Never before, from what I can tell.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Q_res posted:

Technically, Charlie Batch has a ring. But other than Stafford that's it.

poo poo, he’s got two of em.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Closest otherwise is Daunte Culpepper, and then of short timers I don't know if Kitna, Ferrotte, Shaun Hill, or Stanton won as a backup.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Stanton did as a backup on the Bucs in 2021 (2020 season).

I don’t remember hearing his name that game though, so it never stood out.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I think Rodney Peete won one with Carolina (after being replaced by Jake Delhomme mid season lol).

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'm not even mad about the Bears I'm just so bored of them being rear end lol

6 double digit loss season in the last ten years (about to be 7), and one double digit win season compliments of Vic Fangio, which was also the only season above 500.

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 11, 2023

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Gorson posted:

I think Rodney Peete won one with Carolina (after being replaced by Jake Delhomme mid season lol).

Carolina's never won a Super Bowl

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

GNU Order posted:

Largely this.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I blame social media for trapping me in a bears echo chamber and making me think things would be: decent.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao bears Stan Twitter is hilarious, ignore all of them.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl posted:

“What should they draft, then, with Justin who calls himself Fields?” Hoot asked. They all answered, “DEFENSIVE LINE!”
“Why? What o-linemen have committed?” asked Hoot. But they shouted all the louder, “DEFENSIVE LINE!”
When Hoot saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an slapfight was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. “I am innocent of this man’s murder,” he said. “the sacks and injury will be on you!”
All the posters answered, “His sacks are on us and on our shitposts!”

Sataere posted:

Yeah, but you can spend on the line without overspending. There are more than three lineman available in free agency. I don't want the Bears to overpay just to make a big splash. I want them to do what Poles said they would do. Build for long-term sustained success. And that doesn't happen by going crazy in free agency.
Thank god they didn't overspend, right?

Dexo posted:

lmao what?

There are like 5 good to very good tackles on the market.

There's no like prime orlando pace or whatever. But Brown is very good, McGlinchy is good, Taylor is good, McGary is good, Powers is good. all still under 28.

edit: 4, bleh Powers is a guard. bad memory.
How many of these did they pick up?

Sataere posted:

Dude, at least wait until the draft before freaking out about the line.
How did this go?

Niwrad posted:

They took maybe the best RT in the draft with their 1st round pick. They signed a good right guard in free agency.
:doh:

Dexo posted:

The Bears Offensive line's problem was in two spots. Center, and RT. The Offensive Line is only as strong as it's weakest spot.

Braxton Jones was one of the best rookies in the league last year(needs to get stronger and fix his bullrush problems and better, but he wasn't the problem)

LG, is probably gonna be Teven, who was great last year when he was healthy at RG.

Center is the biggest concern still(I would have liked to draft one, but between Whitehair and the dude who was injured for the year, that'll at least be better than loving Mustipher last year.)

Nate Davis is loving great at RG

and Darnell Wright is my second favorite Tackle in this draft, and just an absolute stud at right tackle.
:wrongful:

R.D. Mangles posted:

looks like they're sticking with Braxton Jones at LT.
:byoscience:

surf rock posted:

Good for Fields that the Bears are finally investing in the line, but why draft the guy who can't pass-protect in space when you have a quarterback scrambling all over the place?
:wrong:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

GNU Order posted:

6 double digit loss season in the last ten years (about to be 7), and one double digit win season compliments of Vic Fangio, which was also the only season above 500.

I remember back when I complained about 6-8 win seasons and said I'd rather be bad than mediocre, wistfully looking at the lions drafting guys like Megatron and Stafford and Suh

How wrong I was

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I miss Lovie

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Uh before you quote my poo poo.

Braxton was decent at pass blocking yesterday. Some obnoxious penalties so a bad game overall but seemed to be able to anchor way better.

Patrick was better than Mustipher.

Nate Davis was rear end, but also he had some personal things all offseason and just didn't practice at all.

He was a good guard historically.

Darnell Wright was still my second favorite offensive tackle in the draft last year, but is still a rookie in his first game.

And Tevin was hurt.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yesterday largely felt like more of a coaching loss than the players.

If that mess in both offense and defense was their game plan.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I hope the bears turn it around tbh, fields is very fun to watch and it feels like the bears were close to having an exciting offense but man their o line issues were on display this week.

I'll always go pack go when I can, that said, more nfc teams being better and good rules.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Dexo posted:

DOUG. DOUG. IN DA NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE YOU GOTTA TROW DA drat BALL DOWN THE drat FIELD

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GenericMartini posted:

now i may be crazy since the bears and giants just poo poo themselves live on tv but what is the possibility the Vikings can do the impossible and finally get the number 1 pick in next years draft. Am I dreaming too high or can we find a way to lose all our 1 score games and then also lose the games we get blown out in?

My "I read stuff online and overreact to the few college games I do watch" armchair analysis is that if the Vikings want the QB of the future from this draft then they just need to be in a good enough position to draft one of the first three (either via where they are or ability to trade into it with a bad team that got their guy already) between Williams, the other guy that was getting a lot of pre-season steam (forget who it was), and Kid Prime.

Brrrmph posted:

How about them Vikings?

Probably not this bad, but certain not a good team. it will be interesting to see if JJ wants out after this year.

I think JJ wanting out or not will entirely depend on if the Vikings sign him to an extension. Really interested in why they couldn't get it done this offseason, though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

For the Bears offense it just seems like Getsy has no clue how to adapt his offensive scheme to his players so we have bizarre poo poo like Fields constantly throwing screens instead of stretching the field. You have a QB with blazing legs, force the defense deep so if no one's open the QB can just take off for an easy 7 yards. This is, historically, exactly how the Packers lose against running QBs.

I understand the Packers line was getting constant and immediate pressure on Fields but I don't think short passes was a good way of alleviating that -- it just meant the defense could confidently play much closer to the LOS.

As for the defense, I thought this article broke it down a lot better than I possibly could: https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...hristian-watson

Basically, constant use of pre-snap motion kept distorting the Bears defense and then Love just threw to whatever seam opened up in the defense.

quote:

https://twitter.com/packers/status/1700974941649375608

A great example of this was the Packers’ first touchdown of the day, a throw from Love to Doubs on third down and goal. Green Bay initially lined up “trips” (three eligible receivers) to the right but motioned Reed to the left side of the field with a full head of steam at the snap. Because of this, the left side of the defense and the middle of the field were fully occupied by the new “trips left” formation.

With the Bears playing three coverage players to the right of the formation over running back Aaron Jones and Doubs, Chicago should have been able to force Love to look elsewhere in the progression. Here’s the catch, though: The safety, Eddie Jackson (#4) needed to remember that he no longer had help to the middle of the field because the “trips” side of the formation had flipped just moments prior because of Reed’s motion.

Doubs was able to win at the top of his route on an inside-breaking post and caught the touchdown without Jackson ever having a chance to make a play on the ball in any way. All Jackson could do was look in dismay as he gave up a score that only after the fact he realized was his fault, all because Reed trotted to the other side of the field and changed the math and leverage on the play.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

IcePhoenix posted:

I think JJ wanting out or not will entirely depend on if the Vikings sign him to an extension.

Well.... yea.

The Kirk dilemma is way more interesting. If he has a decent/good season, MIN can't afford him anymore (they'll pay JJ). If he has a subpar season, does he get resigned to a "final" contract on more of a hometown deal to close out his career? I think his floor is high enough that he won't spend his final years as a backup somewhere.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

For the Bears offense it just seems like Getsy has no clue how to adapt his offensive scheme to his players so we have bizarre poo poo like Fields constantly throwing screens instead of stretching the field. You have a QB with blazing legs, force the defense deep so if no one's open the QB can just take off for an easy 7 yards. This is, historically, exactly how the Packers lose against running QBs.

I understand the Packers line was getting constant and immediate pressure on Fields but I don't think short passes was a good way of alleviating that -- it just meant the defense could confidently play much closer to the LOS.

As for the defense, I thought this article broke it down a lot better than I possibly could: https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...hristian-watson

Basically, constant use of pre-snap motion kept distorting the Bears defense and then Love just threw to whatever seam opened up in the defense.

That's a good article but using motion like this has been around longer than the players have been alive. Eddie Jackson is enough of a veteran that he shouldn't be getting tricked that easily.

As for Fields, it's tough - you can't go deep and let him scramble when there's so much pressure. I feel like they need to go with a really simple offense that's one read , if it isn't there, take off. Or nonstop rollouts so that he isn't getting hit from behind

Sadly this is exactly what we said about Mitch, and Cutler before him.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

Uh before you quote my poo poo.

Braxton was decent at pass blocking yesterday. Some obnoxious penalties so a bad game overall but seemed to be able to anchor way better.

Patrick was better than Mustipher.

Nate Davis was rear end, but also he had some personal things all offseason and just didn't practice at all.

He was a good guard historically.

Darnell Wright was still my second favorite offensive tackle in the draft last year, but is still a rookie in his first game.

And Tevin was hurt.

lmao shut up

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

SirPablo posted:

Well.... yea.

The Kirk dilemma is way more interesting. If he has a decent/good season, MIN can't afford him anymore (they'll pay JJ). If he has a subpar season, does he get resigned to a "final" contract on more of a hometown deal to close out his career? I think his floor is high enough that he won't spend his final years as a backup somewhere.

Kirk has no hometown; he'll take the highest offer wherever it takes him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

trevorreznik posted:

That's a good article but using motion like this has been around longer than the players have been alive. Eddie Jackson is enough of a veteran that he shouldn't be getting tricked that easily.

As for Fields, it's tough - you can't go deep and let him scramble when there's so much pressure. I feel like they need to go with a really simple offense that's one read , if it isn't there, take off. Or nonstop rollouts so that he isn't getting hit from behind

Sadly this is exactly what we said about Mitch, and Cutler before him.

Hey the steppe tribes used fake retreat tactics for 2,000 years and that always worked

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

This I sorta disagree with. as far as Getsy.

He does have the ability to adapt his offensive schemes, he did it last year and found success after all.

He just fell into the same trap that most offensive playcallers(at least ones the bears end up with) do. Which is First (couple) game(s) of the year, to try to do something completely against what they are best at to see if it works now.

Hopefully that come to jesus moment happens like this week rather than like week 6 or whatever.

Re: the defense, two things, the back end of Bears's defense largely wasn't all healthy and playing together the entire offeseason with Brisker/Linebackers all missing a bunch of time due to nagging injuries. Communication being a problem I'm not particularly suprised about.

But also they should play waaaay more Man coverage imo. Because playing zone with this lovely defensive line is going to get them torched regardless as it is trivial to find soft spots when the QB has no pressure on him.. And they have the DB's who can actually plan man up.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Uh Packers might need to consider benching Myers sooner than later, move Tom to center and get Walker at RT and not just on the field as a jumbo TE. Will see how it goes with guys who review the tape, but in the first quarter it seemed like Myers was mediocre.

https://twitter.com/AndyHermanNFL/status/1701215188190470533

Also as mentioned earlier, pretty done with Dillon sadly. Those two players are my only real negatives from the game. And holy hell special teams were great, against the freaking Bears.

Also this is fun, letting rookies get valuable reps during garbage time:

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1701228273651360250

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

SirPablo posted:

Well.... yea.

surf rock posted:

Kirk has no hometown; he'll take the highest offer wherever it takes him.

Local ink stained wretch Jim Souhan claims his sources say Kirk wanted a 3 year extension since he knows at age 35 it’s the last chance for some significant guaranteed money over multiple years. Vikings of course said no way and their hope/plan is Kirk enters free agency next winter, sees nobody has any interest in giving him a multi year deal, and comes back to the Vikings on a 1 year deal because he won’t find better offensive weapons any place else.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Call Bakhtiari for holding! :bahgawd:

https://twitter.com/AndyHermanNFL/status/1701249625280147824

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

honestly you just get used to the Packers offensive line consistently getting away with holding

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Brrrmph posted:

Local ink stained wretch Jim Souhan claims his sources say Kirk wanted a 3 year extension since he knows at age 35 it’s the last chance for some significant guaranteed money over multiple years. Vikings of course said no way and their hope/plan is Kirk enters free agency next winter, sees nobody has any interest in giving him a multi year deal, and comes back to the Vikings on a 1 year deal because he won’t find better offensive weapons any place else.

Yea this. You want to be hitting 36 and learning a new offense yet again with new players? Kirk has had almost no stability at HC/OC in his career, especially in Minnesota.

But there will probably be some dumbass team to pay him. There's always that team. It was Minnesota in 2018. We're one Kirk away from the Super Bowl!

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Matthew Stafford looks drat good.

Kopitar
May 21, 2009

Dexo posted:

honestly you just get used to the Packers offensive line consistently getting away with holding

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/zachkruse2/status/1701268059644744201?t=2v2DhzEkEhFDn4v_TrK3TQ&s=19

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm surprised Packer fans haven't talked up Karl Brooks more. He steamrolled everyone when he was in and is apparently a 6th round rookie. Pretty nice to find your future 3T that late in the draft. Bears should have poached their talent evaluators instead of the guy who made coffee for LaFleur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

32 total pressures out of 66 defensive snaps. That is ridiculous.