Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

GlassEye-Boy posted:

There was some youtube car reviewer who actually went on site and like more than half of the cars weren't even EVs, the rest were mostly from a failed ride share company who commissioned customized vehicles.

https://youtu.be/uD8qqEx4G18?si=5PnbSIycr-PID7LW

Oh okay.... Bloomberg wrote a mostly bullshit article for the clickbait? Why am I not surprised.

QuarkJets posted:

A field of garbage vehicles that nobody wants probably wasn't their goal though

I mean.....leaving out the part as pointed out above there's long been photos and stories about unwanted ICE piling up in even bigger numbers for years over the years for various reasons like company collapses, this aint exactly an EV only problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Did you know EV tires can't be easily recycled because they contain heavy metals? They're just piling up and nobody really knows what to do with them. And then they're a breeding ground for mosquitoes!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So a few months ago the Rivian Amazon trucks started making regular deliveries around my office and now they are getting pretty common in my neighborhood. drat those are cute EVs. Walmart is also making deliveries in my neighborhood exclusively with Ford Transit EVs that are prominently labeled as such.

I can't help but wonder if these might move the needle a little bit on people considering EVs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I mean.....leaving out the part as pointed out above there's long been photos and stories about unwanted ICE piling up in even bigger numbers for years over the years for various reasons like company collapses, this aint exactly an EV only problem.

I'm saying that it's a grift problem specific to this program, not an EV problem. The second half of my post highlights that but you clipped it out for some reason :shrug:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tesla's auto wipers are absolute poo poo again. :sigh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I heard the Model 3 HW refresh is adding a new GPU supercluster to help improve the wipers

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

When my eyes see rain on the windshield I press a button and the wipers go. Works every time. My car is only ten years old though, so maybe tesla will catch up soon.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Bid farewell to my Leaf today, I'm going to miss this car. Really wish Nissan had put in the effort to improve the powertrain/DCFC at all over the 20+ years they built them.

Incredibly annoying buyer, haggled me down to what I figured I'd get haggled down to, then had to "borrow money" then went and got a bank envelope that "just happened" to be $500 short. Too bad Venmo exists now, bro.

Also told me I should have bought a Model 3, went on a rant about how cool Elon Musk is, and told me I should get a job at SpaceX (???). I cannot fathom why this dude, who complained non-stop about his '12 Leaf wanted to buy my '17, but whatever. Thanks for somehow taking 3 hours to buy a $6,000 car.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Tiny Timbs posted:

I heard the Model 3 HW refresh is adding a new GPU supercluster to help improve the wipers

Unfortunately the AI training model was accidentally mixed up and all the wipers try to do now is draw anime boobs.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Indiana_Krom posted:

Unfortunately the AI training model was accidentally mixed up and all the wipers try to do now is draw anime boobs.

But miss not selling this is an addon package for $15k.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

When my eyes see rain on the windshield I press a button and the wipers go. Works every time. My car is only ten years old though, so maybe tesla will catch up soon.

The model 3 has a button you can press to make the wipers go.

I wonder if we should put this in the OP, it seems like everybody's convinced there's no wiper button.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

I know this is a joke but it totally could be true.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Less likely but honestly still plausible.

withoutclass posted:

But miss not selling this is an addon package for $15k.

God drat it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1700911024017133707?s=20

I guess this is better than Long Way Up charging off of diesels, but it's still a pretty rough situation.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What else could the family have done? Would EA or some other charging company try to tow a gas car sitting in their EV lot? Maybe there should be laws against ICE cars hogging EV charging spots.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Legislation probably isn't required, it's probably also not illegal to just park in front of a gas pump all day. But you can (and should) be towed

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gas stations at least have an attendant. EA's call center employees ain't gonna do anything for you

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1700911024017133707?s=20

I guess this is better than Long Way Up charging off of diesels, but it's still a pretty rough situation.

Where I work we refer to this person as "S1". I can totally see a gaggle of handlers scrambling around doing this.

E: here's the original article, if you don't feel like giving Elon ad impressions so you can read a screenshot of a full-length article: https://www.npr.org/2023/09/10/1187224861/electric-vehicles-evs-cars-chargers-charging-energy-secretary-jennifer-granholm

cruft fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 11, 2023

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

This bullshit is why I'm looking forward to using the Mach-E on a Supercharger on my next road trip.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

cruft posted:

Did you know EV tires can't be easily recycled because they contain heavy metals? They're just piling up and nobody really knows what to do with them. And then they're a breeding ground for mosquitoes!

Dont even joke, there's people who will with a straight face argue about EVs causing rubber "tyre pollution" because they are heavy, seemingly oblivious to the same tyre pollution caused by the million or so a year 5000lb F-series trucks sold for the last 2 decades when it apparently wasn't an issue

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ROFLBOT posted:

Dont even joke, there's people who will with a straight face argue about EVs causing rubber "tyre pollution" because they are heavy, seemingly oblivious to the same tyre pollution caused by the million or so a year 5000lb F-series trucks sold for the last 2 decades when it apparently wasn't an issue

There was an article making the rounds on the usual websites concern trolling about this recently. "Pollution" is the third auto-fill suggestion on Google for "EV Tire _____"

Here's a dumbshit loving article if anyone wants to read it. https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2023/07/electric-vehicles-tires-wearing-out-particulates/674750/

E:

Here's the head and tag-line:

quote:

EVs Are Sending Toxic Tire Particles Into the Water, Soil, and Air

Electric cars fix one pollution problem—and worsen another.

By David Zipper

E2: there's probably a point to be made here, which is POVs as a whole are unsustainable, but all the "journalists" reporting about it seem to have ExxonMobil et al's fists way, way to far up their asses to see that.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 11, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

The model 3 has a button you can press to make the wipers go.

I wonder if we should put this in the OP, it seems like everybody's convinced there's no wiper button.

Okay, I made a picture I can quote next time.

There's a frickin' button. The complaint (right now, in September 2023) is that once again the "auto" mode starts wiping the window for no apparent reason, and when it's actually raining, the wipers never go. So you have to press the button.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

cruft posted:

Okay, I made a picture I can quote next time.

There's a frickin' button. The complaint (right now, in September 2023) is that once again the "auto" mode starts wiping the window for no apparent reason, and when it's actually raining, the wipers never go. So you have to press the button.

They need to make the button able to cycle between manual modes with a double tap so you don't need to look over at the screen to mode-select. I don't know why they have refused to do this because it seems obvious as poo poo

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Boy howdy paying over $500 for my Bolt's registration sure sucks.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah. I don't know what New Mexico is going to do here, but I have a feeling that "government surveillance" concerns are going to win, and we'll get a similar "gently caress you" pricing structure.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Our current state where the federal government gives you a tax credit when you buy an EV, then the states put extra taxes on you to get that money back are pretty upsetting to me.

Kentucy has started putting an extra tax of $0.03 per kWh on EV charging stations in addition to their $120/year extra registration cost. All of this together just adds up to eliminate any cost of ownership advantages that EVs have over efficient gas cars.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Triggerhappypilot posted:

They need to make the button able to cycle between manual modes with a double tap so you don't need to look over at the screen to mode-select. I don't know why they have refused to do this because it seems obvious as poo poo

There are reports floating around the Internet that you can flip a switch in settings to make the left scroll wheel select the wiper speed. I tried to find it and failed. I even found a page that walks you through every button you click to get to it: it's not in my settings at all.

I understand the argument about the wipers getting into your muscle memory. I have to drive a lot of rental cars, so for me, having nice big numbers pop up in the same place everything else pops up is far superior to squinting to read what's printed on the stalks and twiddling with poo poo until the wipers turn on. Of course, somebody new to the Model 3 would have to search for the wiper button anyway, so :shrug:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Twerk from Home posted:

Our current state where the federal government gives you a tax credit when you buy an EV, then the states put extra taxes on you to get that money back are pretty upsetting to me.

Kentucy has started putting an extra tax of $0.03 per kWh on EV charging stations in addition to their $120/year extra registration cost. All of this together just adds up to eliminate any cost of ownership advantages that EVs have over efficient gas cars.
Its replacing the gas taxes you aren't paying by driving an EV. Its still significantly less than the gas taxes you'd be paying with an ICE. Theoretically, anyway.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Lobby to have registration based on weight and weight alone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Its replacing the gas taxes you aren't paying by driving an EV. Its still significantly less than the gas taxes you'd be paying with an ICE. Theoretically, anyway.

The math on this entirely depends on if the EV is replacing an efficient or inefficient gas car. If the EV is replacing bigger gas cars that get under 30mpg, sure. If the EVs are replacing hybrids that are over 40mpg, the math seems to mostly work out in favor of burning gas, and a lot of the widely available EVs like the Bolt, Leaf, and Model 3 even feel like a replacement for a Prius, Insight, or other compact hybrid.

We should tax this based on weight * annual mileage.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

The math on this entirely depends on if the EV is replacing an efficient or inefficient gas car. If the EV is replacing bigger gas cars that get under 30mpg, sure. If the EVs are replacing hybrids that are over 40mpg, the math seems to mostly work out in favor of burning gas, and a lot of the widely available EVs like the Bolt, Leaf, and Model 3 even feel like a replacement for a Prius, Insight, or other compact hybrid.

That would benefit me as I've put in under 7k miles on my Bolt in almost a year. A lot of that was 4 round trips to Los Angeles from SF.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

This feels like the fair way to have personal vehicle owners contribute. But then, what about freight and other commerce?

Typically, gas taxes just go into a general fund, which then goes out to fund roads: personal vehicle gas taxes don't actually contribute a ton to the cost of roads. It's not wholly unfair to frame these massive EV taxes as trying to subsidize petroleum, because the tax's premise (tax proportional to road wear) isn't actually how it works.

Happy Noodle Boy probably knows a whole lot more about this, but I don't think they're active ITT any longer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Passenger cars, even heavier EVs, don't contribute much to destruction of road surface (I think it's weight to the 4th power?) compared to heavy cargo but otherwise they need all the same infrastructure to make them usable, e.g.,

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

cruft posted:

There are reports floating around the Internet that you can flip a switch in settings to make the left scroll wheel select the wiper speed. I tried to find it and failed. I even found a page that walks you through every button you click to get to it: it's not in my settings at all.

Is everything up to date? It’s a fairly recent (like this summer) update. I definitely can change modes by tilting the scroll wheel

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is everything up to date? It’s a fairly recent (like this summer) update. I definitely can change modes by tilting the scroll wheel

You're right: we're at 2023.7.30. I'll see if I can force a firmware upgrade.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I would be fine with weight*mileage, and it would completely gently caress me because I have a 98 mile/day commute, which is fair, since I'm using a whole lot of road in that time.

It'd prefer it over the existing "electrification" fee and a "gently caress you, you own an EV" fee, in a State that is supposedly committed to phasing out ICE vehicles entirely. My old polluting Ranger costs almost 1/4 what my Bolt does to register each year.

Of course the genius libertarians that founded this State outlawed income tax, so we get nickel-and-dimed to death everywhere else.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Even states with income tax get libertarian-style road usage fees. Since EVs cost states their fuel tax revenue the only possible solution is apparently to charge EV owners. Never mind whatever costs EV adoption might be saving the state elsewhere (I don’t think I’ve seen VA do this analysis) and the fact that EV owners are still paying taxes on their fuel.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 11, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Saw my first i7 today, it looks nice and nothing really gives it away as being an EV.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Tried another EA station on whim and I'm starting to see why they're hated so much. Four stalls, one offline (and it's the one with the ChAdeMO so RIP Leaf owners), and the remaining stalls are occupied, and by the time one of them frees up, it turns out it's only pushing 50 kW instead of 150 kW. Looking on PlugShare, it looks like that station wasn't highly rated. Guess I should definitely be paying attention to those ratings especially when doing a road trip. Being stuck with 50 kW when you planned the trip with 150 kW chargers would certainly be problematic.

Also, one of the EVs in the stalls wasn't actually charging as the owners, an elderly Jamaican couple, was fumbling with the charging cable with support on the line. It eventually turns out that the charging port on their car, a First Edition ID.4, wasn't locking the charging cable. They tried both cables on the stall and I even tested my L2 charger and the port wouldn't lock on. I told them they were going to have to take it to the dealership to get it looked at and maybe use their L2 charger to get something. (Can you L2 charge without the lock?) I'm a little surprised to see such a new car abused so badly that the charging port lock broke. Besides the charging port and all the leaves in the windshield cowling, the car didn't seem that beat up. There turned out there was a VW dealer nearby that they could go to but I don't know if they did or how low of a charge they were at.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Saw my first i7 today, it looks nice and nothing really gives it away as being an EV.

That's because it shares a platform with ICE models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Edward IV posted:

Tried another EA station on whim and I'm starting to see why they're hated so much. Four stalls, one offline (and it's the one with the ChAdeMO so RIP Leaf owners), and the remaining stalls are occupied, and by the time one of them frees up, it turns out it's only pushing 50 kW instead of 150 kW. Looking on PlugShare, it looks like that station wasn't highly rated. Guess I should definitely be paying attention to those ratings especially when doing a road trip. Being stuck with 50 kW when you planned the trip with 150 kW chargers would certainly be problematic.

Also, one of the EVs in the stalls wasn't actually charging as the owners, an elderly Jamaican couple, was fumbling with the charging cable with support on the line. It eventually turns out that the charging port on their car, a First Edition ID.4, wasn't locking the charging cable. They tried both cables on the stall and I even tested my L2 charger and the port wouldn't lock on. I told them they were going to have to take it to the dealership to get it looked at and maybe use their L2 charger to get something. (Can you L2 charge without the lock?) I'm a little surprised to see such a new car abused so badly that the charging port lock broke. Besides the charging port and all the leaves in the windshield cowling, the car didn't seem that beat up. There turned out there was a VW dealer nearby that they could go to but I don't know if they did or how low of a charge they were at.

The 55kw charging speed of the bolt doesn't matter if the chargers are all busted to poo poo.

Bolt wins again!