Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

BIRTH/REBIRTH was cool, even if it felt a little like a drama with some hilariously gruesome body horror now and then. I appreciate a movie that tries to do some genuinely transgressive stuff like this one; continually getting yourself pregnant and aborting the baby as a reliable source of fetal tissue is loving GNARLY and this movie just sorta casually breezes past it like it's the most normal thing on the planet. I liked it, even if the ending felt a little flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I start deciding on my list for Oct. I'm going for 31 films. Probably some new to me but also some rewatches.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Went to the local film festival this weekend. Not a lot of reaction but good claps at the end

Then this kid fuckin crashed into me and totaled my car lmao. I went to the er and I’m fine. So I’m just gonna sit in my bed I guess and watch horror movies until I figure out how to get another car

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I just watch Hello May Lou: Prom Night 2 and it was really fun. I've seen the original and I thought it was a decent slasher, but the sequel went in a different direction. I guess it's not really a sequel since it has nothing to do with the original, and they just added it to Prom Night for some reason. Michael Ironside was in it which is always a treat.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Went to the local film festival this weekend. Not a lot of reaction but good claps at the end

Then this kid fuckin crashed into me and totaled my car lmao. I went to the er and I’m fine. So I’m just gonna sit in my bed I guess and watch horror movies until I figure out how to get another car

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Is your car completely totaled?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh yeah lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got a ct scan and it reminded me of fire in the sky so I was laughing

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I guess the real horror was man all along

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

holy poo poo, dude

that sucks

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Frankenstein Unbound loving slaps. RIP Corman.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s not dead wtf lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Great googly moogly, I'm glad you're alright CelPred.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Disposable Scud posted:

I am delighted to inform you that at least as of the other day Roger Corman is alive and just visited the Criterion closet.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

:stare:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Disposable Scud posted:

Don’t you put that out there into the universe

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
gently caress I thought he was dead. My bad.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

John Yossarian posted:

I just watch Hello May Lou: Prom Night 2 and it was really fun. I've seen the original and I thought it was a decent slasher, but the sequel went in a different direction. I guess it's not really a sequel since it has nothing to do with the original, and they just added it to Prom Night for some reason. Michael Ironside was in it which is always a treat.

I love Prom Night II because it features an absolute bastard, just an unrepentant evil monster, no bargaining, no tragic backstory, no "maybe they were wronged and just need revenge," gently caress all that. Mary Lou is here and she is going to squish girls in between lockers until spaghetti sauce goes everywhere. It's great and a good antidote if you have to sit through one too many "it's an allegory for trauma" elevated horror moodpieces.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Glad your safe CP but you know you now have to write a horror movie about the guy that hit you. Just like Stephen King did with that guy in the van.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was I think a teenage girl and she has the gall to yell toward me “are you kidding me!??”

Bro you hit me!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hollis is right, she was an agent of the red

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Got my October Challenge sorted out, gonna try to knock out as many of the Letterboxed Top 250 Horror as I can. I'm a bit limited by what streaming services I have, but here's hoping. My list: Spooky Challenge

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 11, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Shrecknet posted:

Got my October Challenge sorted out, gonna try to knock out as many of the Letterboxed Top 250 Horror as I can. I'm a bit limited by what streaming services I have, but here's hoping. My list: Spooky Challenge

IT SAYS THE FILE IS CLASSIFIED. WHAT THE gently caress HAVE YOU GOTTEN ME INTO!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

whoops!

probably nothing to worry about. go back to sleep honey. just the wind.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Edit: Wrong thread

Gonz fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 11, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lord have mercy he done buss

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Finally got around to watching Cobweb--it was a real wild ride; just ridiculous. Some really great atmosphere and aesthetic.

I liked the design of Sarah Cobweb, who I guess is not supernatural in any way, but just super limber and doesn't use conditioner huh

It ended quite abruptly, and I guess they left it open for a sequel, which I do not think would be interesting or necessary, but I guess we'll see

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

If you haven't seen the Daimajin trilogy they're similar in style only with one gigantic spirit instead of lots of lesser ones. They're repetitive if you watch them all together (it's basically three directors giving their take on the same story) but I liked them all

Honestly I'm kind of amazed that Daiei has managed to resist the temptation to do a crossover between Daimajin and Gamera all these years when it would be an easy money maker

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
just thought of a theme for october: movies you remember the vhs cover of from browsing the video store decades ago but never actually saw

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

I love Prom Night II because it features an absolute bastard, just an unrepentant evil monster, no bargaining, no tragic backstory, no "maybe they were wronged and just need revenge," gently caress all that. Mary Lou is here and she is going to squish girls in between lockers until spaghetti sauce goes everywhere. It's great and a good antidote if you have to sit through one too many "it's an allegory for trauma" elevated horror moodpieces.

The locker gag and the chalk board gag are two of the greatest highlights of cinema

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Hell yeah!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Stink Billyums posted:

just thought of a theme for october: movies you remember the vhs cover of from browsing the video store decades ago but never actually saw

O I like this a lot. We just need to reshape it to be a bit more general. While each of those filled me with a little Proustian shiver, not everyone grew up sifting through stacks of VHS covers.

Maybe a “watch it for the poster” kind of deal? Pick a movie entirely for the poster, VHS cover or thing like that and write a review specifically on how accurate the poster/cover is. Earnest critiques of how the robots in Chopping Mall don’t have knife-hands in the actual movie. They just have lasers, which are fine, but they’re no knife-hands.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

If you haven't seen the Daimajin trilogy they're similar in style only with one gigantic spirit instead of lots of lesser ones. They're repetitive if you watch them all together (it's basically three directors giving their take on the same story) but I liked them all

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'm kind of amazed that Daiei has managed to resist the temptation to do a crossover between Daimajin and Gamera all these years when it would be an easy money maker

I'm kinda surprised they only did the three films. They have his statue outside the building.

CelticPredator posted:

Thank God you're okay. We had a fender bender that just had what looked like a bit of a dent in the hood and ended up a month in the shop because the radiator was damaged and a couple other things we didn't see.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CelticPredator posted:

It was I think a teenage girl and she has the gall to yell toward me “are you kidding me!??”

Bro you hit me!

Coming in 2024: CelticPredator's remake of I Know What You Did Last Summer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I used to dress up like the hook man with a tin foil hook when I was a little kid. So already there

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
House II: The Second Story is not only an incredible title, it's also a super fun, inventive, solid flick.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Stink Billyums posted:

I've been doing this anyway! It's great, I finally watched From Beyond and Pumpkinhead which are movies I never got around to watching but saw every time I browsed the little video store in Kroger when I was a kid.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

CelticPredator posted:

Sorry about your car but I’m really glad you’re ok.

John Yossarian posted:

The chalkboard sequence is one of my favorite things in a horror movie

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ouch.

Hope you're doing well.

CelticPredator posted:

I got a ct scan and it reminded me of fire in the sky so I was laughing

scans rule.

Real oppressive atmosphere. Especially the MRI because you're trapped in a tube that makes ominous noises and before you go in they inject you with some color so they can see your veins better.

CT scans are also neat because you're being blasted with radiation.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 11, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

Mausoleum rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

Ouch.

Hope you're doing well.

scans rule.

Real oppressive atmosphere. Especially the MRI because you're trapped in a tube that makes ominous noises and before you go in they inject you with some color so they can see your veins better.

CT scans are also neat because you're being blasted with radiation.

That dye is gadolinium, a rare-earth metal that also pools in your brain and seemingly lives there forever after you get a contrast MRI.