Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Clarste posted:

Karlach is like super cool with being BFFs.

Oh man, glad to hear it because I saw a spoiler about what her rejection scene was like and geez, harsh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

seifer's kind of popular in the show-off way. hes not the star of the school but people generally have a positive impression of him, like the rear end in a top hat its hard to hate type. selphie's blog says 'he's a nice guy deep down' and if you notice hes genuinely clapping for squall and the others when they make seed, even though he didnt.

Didn't he start clapping which then got Fujin and Raijin to start after him? He definitely is a softy it's just that his angry teen exterior gets distorted by Ultimecia I guess

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the orphanage scene also establishes that seifer has always liked trying to pick fights with people and pick on squall, him being competitive and quick to get jealous is just kind of a part of who he is. but like the entire point of how he and squall interact on the dollet mission and the observations everyone else makes about them is that everyone assumes they're bitter rivals and are all kind of surprised when they see how friendly they can actually be to each other. seifer is envious of squall but it's not because squall is better at the hustle than him, they both mirror each other in that squall himself has a period of jealousy for the friends and relationships seifer has, but squall pulls out of it while seifer gets twisted into an even worse version of the outlook squall momentarily had about him. seifer's moment of recovery as shown in the ending is when he chills the gently caress out and just goes fishing with his friends

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 10, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Schwarzwald posted:

Magic in BD1 is incredible not because spells are good necessarily but because the "BP Recovery" ability exists.

My idea of magic in BD1 is kind of twisted by the glass cannon build that is the highest level Monk and Spell Fencer passives with Black Mage spells. A bit too risky after a certain point, but boy it is fun to have the cheapest Fire spell as a 9999 damage nuke for a while.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ManSedan posted:

Im reached the mountain region in Chained Echoes (past the flame cave) and it seemed like a big jump in difficulty in the random encounters. I can still beat things but often with a character or two dead. Aside from the skill and stat boosts when you beat a boss and the crafting system, is there a way to level up or grind? I feel like Im at a point where I need to grind or something.

Also the characters are talking about things they see in the “distance” but the background is just a big black NES style void here. Is there a missing layer or something?
You can run around some of the encounters in the mountain. I remember it being kinda stupid in that area and it's kind of a one off, I don't remember why.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
That's Sea of Stars done now. I didn't bother getting the perfect ending because while I'm down with finishing side content I do not want to collect the shells because it'll just be me going through a guide to find them all and what's the point?

Pretty rubbish game all told. Whoever thought it was a good idea to make every weapon look the same and to have only 3 abilities per character needs a kick in the head. Also that the story of each area was delivered via an optional character you only see when you camp, which you don't need to do and feels a bit like wasting time - what the gently caress was the idea behind that? You can really tell they expect you to have camped and read the story that Teaks gives you for the areas too because a lot of the time the game just straight up doesn't make sense without that context. Especially noticeable in the Clockwork Castle where it thinks you know the guys in there and their story because she's meant to have told you but I didn't speak to her.

Plenty of other annoying stuff but man those stand out tonnes. it's also really strange to me that "Dweller of Dread" which is the achievement you get before you go to face the final boss shows 5% of players having done it but the final boss has 8.8%, what's that about?

I kinda think everything that happened after the Chef died felt like a weird extra DLC. A whole new world and then the strange flying bits? It was actually okay story wise after that but it still felt very at odds with the rest of the game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i was certainly not expecting Grandia 3 to have a SaGa-style 'spark' mechanic (though it's just for special moves)

i'm 4 hours in and in some random-rear end island caves

i like when Grandia is about the spirit of adventure and so i should theoretically vibe with this game more than 2, but it's got a heck of a linear opening act that is spent mostly fighting A LOT of the same enemy type over and over (the type of which changes from area to area). not the most exciting introduction

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
is there a srpg with a spark system? i feel like i vaguely remember reading about something that sounded like it did.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

If you consider The Last Remnant a SRPG, then at least one. New and upgraded special moves can randomly spark in combat there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

sparking feels so fuckin good

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
personally i do not consider last remanat a srpg

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Yeah, fair. It's kind of riding the line for me on "maybe? but probably not."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What is up with people looking at FF8 and coming away from it like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peUe-82Qgs4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it plays pretty loose with its setting and largely premises its storytelling around emotional beats and development without paying much attention to having coherent or rigid logic it needs to explain too much

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Kanos posted:

Lae'zel is a hilarious character because you can cause her to completely change her worldview and belief system like four times over the course of a playthrough. Starts off a standard pattern Githyanki/Vlaakith loyalist, you can convince her Vlaakith sucks and to go her own way, then she can hop on the Orpheus train, then you can convince her to hop off that train and stay with you despite her swearing she'd give her life to see Orpheus's rise previously.

She's basically a weathervane if you're romancing her/being nice enough to her that she listens to you.

It kind of makes sense for her to be that way, even: she's from a super hierarchical society and if you're able to establish yourself as the person in the room who gets to tell her what to do, she pretty much goes along with that. You also often gain approval from arguing with her as long as you're gutsy enough to stick to your guns.

On a completely different note, you know what I just realized is a cool feature that a lot of my favourite games share? Multiple separate overworld maps. People were talking a little earlier about how they miss big fully explorable world maps, and it made me think about how it's really, really neat to spend 20 hours exploring the world map and then the game drops Another World Map on you. See: every SNES FF game, every Phantasy Star game, World of Xeen, Chrono Trigger (although each individual map is actually kinda small when you look at them), Terranigma...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Last Celebration posted:

Magic in BD1 is just kinda mid iirc, it doesn’t really gel with the Brave system since physical stuff only costs BP or a relatively low amount of MP for the same essential effect that casting Firaga on a mob does, only you didn’t dump 20 MPx4. That’s one of the things Second fixes near immediately though, and at least not-blue magic in Default is pretty good iirc.

I've found that Salve-Maker and Dancer cover all of the bases of a White Mage at an even better rate of return, and Spell Fencer or Ranger skills are much better at exploiting enemy weaknesses than Black Mage. Maybe I'm not using Black Mage's status effect spells enough but in my limited experience the game falls into the same rut as a lot of JRPGs where status effects aren't really worth using.

Schwarzwald posted:

Magic in BD1 is incredible not because spells are good necessarily but because the "BP Recovery" ability exists.

Oh that probably triggers off of self-inflicted status effects huh, I never tried that. And yeah Red Mage kicks rear end, not for its magic but for its many many bonus BP skills.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Thuryl posted:

It kind of makes sense for her to be that way, even: she's from a super hierarchical society and if you're able to establish yourself as the person in the room who gets to tell her what to do, she pretty much goes along with that. You also often gain approval from arguing with her as long as you're gutsy enough to stick to your guns.

Oh, yeah, it makes perfect sense, I didn't mean to say she's a bad character. It's just pretty funny that the most aggressive, opinionated, and strict party member is actually probably the most prone to changing their mind and entire worldview. A lot of people probably get put off by her being basically an angry evil Klingon to start with and never go any further.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

The Colonel posted:

it plays pretty loose with its setting and largely premises its storytelling around emotional beats and development without paying much attention to having coherent or rigid logic it needs to explain too much

the peak of this being Rinoa's dog who learns to fly through space and suplex giant monsters from a pet magazine, imo

I cannot blame anyone for getting a bit sidetracked trying to analyze the game

edit: junctioning is actually a good example though, its both a primary mechanic and a load-bearing plot point but also no one ever even attempts to explain what it is or how it actually works, not even when people start junctioning each other and making up GFs to junction and poo poo. FF7 by contrast could hardly wait to tell you about where materia comes from

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 11, 2023

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

is there a srpg with a spark system? i feel like i vaguely remember reading about something that sounded like it did.

that's Front Mission

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
people to this day argue online about what a gunblade even does

(everybody still wants one) (that's good writing and design baby)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It damages the enemy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bongo Bill posted:

It damages the enemy.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Bongo Bill posted:

It damages the enemy.

they also cannot miss; both Squall and Seifer have 255% accuracy, perfect hits even when blinded

narratively I don't think there's any reason for it and it's never explicitly mentioned, gunblades just don't miss

it's so minor but the amount of weird little things like that in 8 just fascinate the hell out of me

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that's Front Mission

oh yeah

How could I forget Ryogo never getting anything but ROF20%

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

C-Euro posted:

Oh that probably triggers off of self-inflicted status effects huh, I never tried that.

It does and it's stupid busted!

not that BD lacks for stupid busted things

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

kirbysuperstar posted:

oh yeah

How could I forget Ryogo never getting anything but ROF20%

Why would you want anything else?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Clarste posted:

Why would you want anything else?

variety

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
seifer pick on squall because he wants to kiss him. omg you guys, come on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

seifer pick on squall because he wants to kiss him. omg you guys, come on.

one of these days, squall, ill tell you about my romantic dream :wink:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

people to this day argue online about what a gunblade even does

(everybody still wants one) (that's good writing and design baby)

It's okay FF14 explains it, via the best class in the game

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
it breaks guns

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i thought it fired a bullet which then strikes the blade and make it vibrate lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

they also cannot miss; both Squall and Seifer have 255% accuracy, perfect hits even when blinded

narratively I don't think there's any reason for it and it's never explicitly mentioned, gunblades just don't miss

it's so minor but the amount of weird little things like that in 8 just fascinate the hell out of me

The stated reason is that Gunblades require such skill and precision to use that the user just won't misstep

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the dungeons are widening a bit now in grandia 3 which is nice because the game's been ridiculously easy to this point, so i can now just run around any monster i can avoid until boss fights actually become a problem

regular encounters offer so little XP also, making fights extra pointless

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Gunblades never miss because they wanted you to press R1 and have it do more damage and be all cool and stuff

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I figured gunblades didn't miss because PS1 programming and R1 input distacted the attack had to hit or something

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
they don't miss because squall and seifer trained day and night, night and day...

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
oh yeah the doylist explanation is pretty self evident

it would be really easy to explain in-universe (see the above "gunblades take such skill" etc) but I don't think the game actually bothers anywhere, and that's the part that tickles my pickle

Selphie's ultimate weapon is the only non-gunblade in the game with that kind of accuracy

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

the dungeons are widening a bit now in grandia 3 which is nice because the game's been ridiculously easy to this point, so i can now just run around any monster i can avoid until boss fights actually become a problem

regular encounters offer so little XP also, making fights extra pointless
i have managed to forget all details of Grandia 3 despite playing it, uh, a year or two ago? (and actually liking it, at that) but doesn't battle also accumulate some sort of skill experience or whatever so it's not entirely worthless to engage even if the EXP is minimal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wonder what the deal with these gunblades are, i say running through a giant drill prison that's located in the middle of the desert