Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Well, my memory sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

That Little Demon posted:

Oh yes. Churning Mist rules. I love Ysayle and Estinian and they are 1000x better characters than all the scions combined. The shame of the entire thing is having to lug Alphaiund around. Where is his sister? She is so much better than him and I’ve only seen her like twice. Once before Coils and in Coils.

One of the big differences with how the writing is handled between ARR and everything after, is that you tend to travel with a party of people who actually do poo poo in the expansions, unlike when you occasionally had the Scions hanging around and then sitting on the sidelines in ARR while you did everything. Which makes it easier to actually care about the characters, unlike ARR where you have Yda and Papalymo standing around doing nothing and making excuses while you do all the work for the Sylphs.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 10, 2023

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Don’t spoil anything for me but I’m happy and hoping they are all dead and I never see them again lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'll keep it nonspecific so its not really a spoiler, but you should try to do Coils. all the way through. I waited till 90 till i finished it and regret that

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I did

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Arist posted:

Pretty sure the moogle quests they removed in Churning Mists were all optional. Also they didn't remove them, they just no longer gate the tribe behind doing all of them.

If they did they didn't remove enough, you still have to do three entire quest chains to unlock them.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hellioning posted:

If they did they didn't remove enough, you still have to do three entire quest chains to unlock them.

Yeah I did it a few months ago, 19 quests iirc, none marked that they're gating an entire tribe.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Veotax posted:

One of the big differences with how the writing is handled between ARR and everything after, is that you tend to travel with a party of people who actually do poo poo in the expansions, unlike when you occasionally had the Scions hanging around and then sitting on the sidelines in ARR while you did everything. Which makes it easier to actually care about the characters, unlike ARR where you have Yda and Papalymo standing around doing nothing and making excuses while you do all the work for the Sylphs.
It's amazing how much difference it makes when, instead of going "we need 20 bear asses, go get them," the guy telling you what to do goes "we need 20 bear asses and 10 deer feet, you handle the asses while I get the feet." It's such a little thing but it makes it feel like you're working as a team instead of doing all the grunt work yourself even if, functionally, the quest is exactly the same either way.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Where are the Coils? I did a lot of unlock quests in ARR and never encountered them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Should start from a quest - Primal Awakening - from Urianger in the Waking Sands.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

Where are the Coils? I did a lot of unlock quests in ARR and never encountered them.

The high-end 8-man raids of ARR. I think the quest line you unlock them from is given by Minfilia not long after you finish 2.0
The ARR 8-mans are the weird odd ones out, compared to the 8-mans in the expansions, since the expansions all have easier 'story mode' raids you need to do first before you unlock the real versions, while Coils only has the hard ones (and a few unlockable harder ones) and the story is locked behind those.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hellioning posted:

There are still many, yes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I enjoy Estinien's one-track mind in HW. "I know you're trying for peace and all, but I'm gonna tag along just in case you decide killing dragons is a good idea. You know, no pressure, just remember there's an easy answer to all this."

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I enjoy Estinien's one-track mind in HW. "I know you're trying for peace and all, but I'm gonna tag along just in case you decide killing dragons is a good idea. You know, no pressure, just remember there's an easy answer to all this."

More like 'This isn't going to work but I feel obligated to try so that when it inevitably fails I get to tell you I told you so.'

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think it's both. As the Azure Dragoon he's predisposed to dragon murder, and his personality delights in situations where he gets to say I told you so. He gets to say it rarely enough.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I especially appreciate how (major HW spoilers) even though it feels like a waste of time in the moment once Hraesvelgr tells her off for kinning Shiva, every part of what you did ends up mattering either for creating peace or for saving Estinien from himself. The HW writers basically looked directly at the camera and said "hey, ending a war is really loving hard, but even if you fail, no effort you make towards peace will ever be in vain."

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The moogle quests were mandatory in HW in that if you were playing straight through to marathon to level cap, there wasn’t enough exp in MSQ so you had to clean out a bunch of sidequests. This was also still the era of the 46->50 msq lock fate spam in nthan

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
“You gift my people 1000 years of suffering, I gift you an eternity in darkness” is an all time badass line lmfao

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The climbs in quality between expansions are pretty amazing. Going from ARR Primals to Ravana is quite a thing. The raid chains you unlock at 60 are :discourse:

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Doomykins posted:

The climbs in quality between expansions are pretty amazing. Going from ARR Primals to Ravana is quite a thing. The raid chains you unlock at 60 are :discourse:

The music for the normal 60 raids are some of my favorites in the whole game. Just cranking that up every time I'm in there.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sunday Morning posted:

The music for the normal 60 raids are some of my favorites in the whole game. Just cranking that up every time I'm in there.

Heavensward really did feel like the point where Soken stopped trying to emulate Uematsu's work on 1.0 as much, and do his own thing instead. ARR absolutely has some excellent tracks, especially post-2.0 (I think Oblivion is one of the most-streamed FF14 tracks on Spotify), but HW onward just keeps getting better and better.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 11, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I love Metal and the language the lyrics are in.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

On the OST for the Heavensward patches, there's a track that is one of the raid boss themes, but a muffled recording of it made from outside the studio :allears:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 11, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Bloody Pom posted:

On the OST for the Heavensward patches, there's a track that is one of the raid boss themes, but a muffled recording of it made from outside the studio :allears:

I'm sorry, which track is that? I have been playing for nearly a decade, how did I miss this

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Reoxygenation posted:

I'm sorry, which track is that? I have been playing for nearly a decade, how did I miss this

Out of Time on the Far Edge of Fate Soundtrack.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Electric Phantasm posted:

Out of Time on the Far Edge of Fate Soundtrack.

oh holy gently caress i thought it was just a neat effect, that's insane

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I love this

e:this video contains spoilers for the HW raids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1AnPqhd574

God Hole fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 13, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Note that the above video contains scenes from Alexander raids do not watch if you care about seeing it completely fresh.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Note that the last dozen pages or so have ranged from vaguely spoilery to outright spoilery to anyone still in ARR.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
I'm nearing the end of shadowbringers and am about to step in to endwalker. Are there any must do side quests before I jump in? I've done all the raids and trials from previous expansions and plan to finish the SB raids before I move on.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm about to start EW and my take is that the only can't-miss stuff is coils all the way through. and ideally it should be done before shb. but i'm in a good spot having done all the alliances, coils, alexanders and half the edens

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd say the Omega raids are pretty important to do. You won't know why until you do, but you'll get more out of them than coils.

But if you've got all the raids out of the way you're probably good.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Vord posted:

I'm nearing the end of shadowbringers and am about to step in to endwalker. Are there any must do side quests before I jump in? I've done all the raids and trials from previous expansions and plan to finish the SB raids before I move on.
If you mean you haven’t finished the SB (SB typically means Stormblood, while ShB is Shadowbringers) Alliance Raid series yet, after you do finish that you can start the Bozja quest line. You don’t need to finish all of the Bozja stuff because that’s another 40+ hours of gameplay, but the first quest is neat and addresses some lore stuff. That’s unlocked in Kugane’s market after finishing the Ivalice raids.

Other than that, F’lhaminn has a quest in Mor Dhona that ties up some ShB and ARR stuff. It’s not marked with a blue marker or anything so it can be easy to miss it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i thought ivalice was more fun and just...theater nerd stuff, but man those mhach raids were really loving good. i truly enjoyed those and didn't skip a single cutscene on the glue quests, which is more than i can say for the niers. i will never again as long as i live console a distraught dwarf again

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

iPodschun posted:

If you mean you haven’t finished the SB (SB typically means Stormblood, while ShB is Shadowbringers) Alliance Raid series yet, after you do finish that you can start the Bozja quest line. You don’t need to finish all of the Bozja stuff because that’s another 40+ hours of gameplay, but the first quest is neat and addresses some lore stuff. That’s unlocked in Kugane’s market after finishing the Ivalice raids.

Other than that, F’lhaminn has a quest in Mor Dhona that ties up some ShB and ARR stuff. It’s not marked with a blue marker or anything so it can be easy to miss it.

Sorry I meant Shadowbringers. I've started Bozja but only got so far as Cid's Nightmare in Dreamland. I'll take a look at the F'lhaminn quest.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'd say the Omega raids are pretty important to do. You won't know why until you do, but you'll get more out of them than coils.

I did those as well. Only fight I liked was ghost train because gently caress YEAH GHOST TRAIN

\/ 100% agree

Vord fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 13, 2023

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

devs are cowards who wouldn't even let us suplex it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Omega should've let us fight more FF big bads. I want to repeatedly hit Sephiroth and Kuja with a big axe.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Without spoiling details, Endwalker has a payoff for each of (most of) the old Raid, Alliance Raid, and Trial series that you complete, but none of it is story critical; just a cool addition to a cool scene.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Thanks everyone. It looks like I just have to finish Eden and the Nier raids then I'll be good. Special thanks to iPodschun for pointing out that F'lhaminn quest. It was sweet. Everything past ARR has been amazing and I'm glad I forced myself to push past that slog that was post ARR patch content.

I finished the weapon trials earlier today and as a gundam fan I absolutely loved them. If at the start of ARR someone had told me I'd be fighting a not Neue Ziel that turns in to a xenomorph from on top of a not GP03 I would of thought they were loving with me.

\/ I'm not that dedicated.

Vord fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

IIRC, aren’t there also brief call-backs for completing each of the relic quests from ARR-ShB?