Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I mean I'll bet you'd have been pissed if the soda machine was empty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flyinglemur posted:

Same ship gave a COM to a Chief that used his rear end to plug a hole in the hull where a paint scraper had gone through, in the engineering spaces. Same Chief that couldn't transfer because he was too fat.

Brilliant use of improvisational thinking and ready resource utilization. Promote ahead of peers.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

US Berder Patrol posted:

ackshually JFK got a Navy and Marine Corps Medal, it's a little bigger than a NAM

I might be using the wrong acronym because I know fuckall about navy medals.

This guy also got a Navy and Marine Corps Medal

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Flyinglemur posted:

An SH3 got a NAM for keeping the soda machines full during my first deployment to Somalia. Same ship gave a COM to a Chief that used his rear end to plug a hole in the hull where a paint scraper had gone through, in the engineering spaces. Same Chief that couldn't transfer because he was too fat.

Goddamn I wish I was making this up

it should be customary to receive medals when you voluntarily put your rear end on the line.

McNally posted:

I think NAM = AAM.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Flyinglemur posted:

An SH3 got a NAM for keeping the soda machines full during my first deployment to Somalia. Same ship gave a COM to a Chief that used his rear end to plug a hole in the hull where a paint scraper had gone through, in the engineering spaces. Same Chief that couldn't transfer because he was too fat.

This is literally the funniest serious COM I’ve ever heard of.

Some say his fat rear end is still plugging the hole to this day…
“Whoooooooo washhhhhhed myyyy coffffeeee muuuuuug” can be heard in the space after balls.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

McNally posted:

Oh, yeah, NAM usu refers to Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal. More or less equivalent to an AAM as A.o.D. posted

Navy and Marine Medal is the highest non-combat valor decoration, they're pretty rare

Edit: like a Soldier's Medal, maybe?

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 6, 2023

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Arione posted:

Odds of getting me to China town are infinitesimally small, especially after dark. My Hanai Mom was mugged there in broad daylight a few months ago, the homeless and crime is rampant there now. Ko Hanna is alright, the Kea tastes / smells like skunk water. The Koho is decent but its expensive. They want 250-300 for a 375ml of koa, absolutely not. I did the Ko'olau distillery tour, not exactly a "quality whisky" but its "local".

I'm too used to the bay so it didn't bother me too much but totally understand that, its definitely getting worse.

The rum I can justify, especially just drinking there and grabbing some of their pre-made daiquiris for fun. I dunno about the whiskey.

My schedule is up in the air right now anyways. I'm looking at maybe 2 months in Singapore, 2 weeks in Pascagoula in Dec, possibly back on the southern triangle run in between.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1699115969480724967?t=H_RaT9hmJDSH8nXk0P9-lw&s=19

Lol dude got a FLOC for saving a dozen of his shipmates, the Navy always remains the same

I got a FLOC as an IS2 for helping the embarked one-stars flag writer master chief

Biden named a post office after him last year. He'd been recommended for a Navy Cross, got a letter instead, and a Navy and about 60 years after his death got a Marine Corps medal (yeah, the non-combat dec).

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1699115969480724967?t=H_RaT9hmJDSH8nXk0P9-lw&s=19

Lol dude got a FLOC for saving a dozen of his shipmates, the Navy always remains the same

I got a FLOC as an IS2 for helping the embarked one-stars flag writer master chief

So this reminds me of a story...

I was speaking to one of our contractors at the RAG and it turned out he'd been with my old squadron for a few years before I got there, back when they'd been a Hawaii squadron. We got on the subject of people getting NAMs from random stuff, and he told me about how, one day, they got a new nugget at the squadron, and he'd been assigned to bring him up to speed. The new guy had never been to Hawaii before but looked forward to being there. So after getting him checked into the barracks in K-Bay, the contractor took him out to a beach party the AWs were hosting for one of their own for someone's birthday. My contractor buddy brought the new guy there to introduce him to everyone. The party is going well and everyone is having a good time when a grandma starts screaming that a rip tide has just dragged two of her grandkids out into the sea from the shallows, and the folks on the beach could see them out in the sea. Folks were winding up when the new nugget ran out and grabbed someone's swim fins and jumped into the sea, swam out to the kids and grabbed one, and sims back into shore before striking out and bringing the other kid back in. The AWs are keyed up and giving kudos to the new guy, it turns out he'd been a BUDS dud and was an insanely strong swimmer.

Of course, folks in his chain began singing the guy's praise and recommended him for an award for risking his life to save those kiddos. A couple of months passed and nothing happened, by then the squadron was deployed to Sigonella. One day an awards quarter is held, and it's the usual assortment: "LT whatshisnuts gets his good boy end of tour NAM", "YN2 routed paperwork really good" and "dude who was on restriction and was punished with sweeping the hanger gets a NAM for sweeping the hanger real good", they then call up the nugget, and he gets... a letter of appreciation from the commodore for risking his life to save two children. Suffice it to say there was a bit of an uproar, and the nugget's letter of appreciation was also supplemented with an appropriate award at the next awards quarter.

Throughout all this, the contractor never mentioned the nugget's name until the end when he was talking about him getting what he deserved, when he finally name-drops him, it turns out this junior guy in his story was one of the senior AWs at the squadron who'd help teach me a ton of helpful things about the plane and missions. Never knew the guy had been partway through BUDS or had saved some kid's lives, the guy was super humble and awesome to work with. He's now living his best life in the reserve MPRA squadron in Whidbey.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Pfffffffffttt.

https://apnews.com/article/navy-officers-convictions-vacated-bribery-scandal-4091c6696072221cfe3d38f91318d571

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Are you suprised? Nobles are never held accountable

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arione posted:

Prosecutorial misconduct is a bad thing even if it happens to officers.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Arione posted:

Speaking of nobles never being held accountable...

Pro Publica just did a decent expose of the messed up development of the LCS

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Something something disgruntled enlisted setting fire to budget and blowing the pork barrels up due to a lover's spat with his boyfriend.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Flyinglemur posted:

Same ship gave a COM to a Chief that used his rear end to plug a hole in the hull where a paint scraper had gone through, in the engineering spaces. Same Chief that couldn't transfer because he was too fat.

Good thing that he'd been reading his classic SF stories

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentlemen,_Be_Seated!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

ZekeNY posted:

Good thing that he'd been reading his classic SF stories

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentlemen,_Be_Seated!

I see what you're saying, but I was there at the awards ceremony on the tank deck.

They called him Doctor Diesel because he knew everything about the engine rooms and had been there for 8 years and couldn't transfer because back in those days if you were on the Fatboy program you just stayed where you were and didn't get kicked out. He was there when I transferred off in Somalia to go to sub school and even though the ship was decommissioned and sold to Spain, some say his rear end is still in that hole to this day

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

"Ummm, can I leave now?"

"No, gordo. no hasta que pases un PRT"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

"Ummm, can I leave now?"

"No, gordo. no hasta que pases un PRT"

Hah. Package deal for the ship.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Load bearing fatass.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

One day Ill write a big effort post about these ships but a hearty lol at:

“An average week would consist of 90 to 100 hours in port doing, honestly, nothing,” Watson said. “It felt ridiculous. Many times we were there just because we had to be there.”

Welcome to the Navy dumbass.

There's a lot in that article that's sensationalized and obviously I'm probably the last person that anyone should talk to regarding these things because I've spent the last decade working on them though.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 11, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

One day Ill write a big effort post about these ships but a hearty lol at:

“An average week would consist of 90 to 100 hours in port doing, honestly, nothing,” Watson said. “It felt ridiculous. Many times we were there just because we had to be there.”

Welcome to the Navy dumbass.

There's a lot in that article that's sensationalized and obviously I'm probably the last person that anyone should talk to regarding these things because I've spent the last decade working on them though.

Who the gently caress is crying about sitting in port doing nothing when the alternative is “work”.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
If we are in port and there's no major maintenance I make sure everyone is knocked off by 1500. Anyone under STCW gets knocked off earlier. It's common sense, when I actually need them they always show up and put out. Last ship I had a mandatory 0700 breakfast for the engine department when in port. Morale was very high for some reason.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Who the gently caress is crying about sitting in port doing nothing when the alternative is “work”.

I think you missed:

quote:

90 to 100 hours

Stuck on the boat for 12+ loving hours a day, 7 days a week, not even doing something productive with your time. Being out to sea is a better alternative, even on a submarine.

Working 90 to 100 hours a week sucks, and is miserable, so is being out to sea. Being on a boat for that long, with nothing to occupy your time except dodging fuckface Khakis asking you why you're not working (you're not working because there is no actual work available) is worse than either of those things.

In my experience, sailors will work 16 hour days with almost no complaints if they're doing something. It's pretty common for nukes to work those hours during retest periods after availabilities.

But sitting around, doing nothing except being barred from doing things you might want to do? Awful, complete bullshit.

E: at least at sea you can play a couple hands of Euchre or Cribbage, work out, and gently caress off to your rack to jerk off after you're done with watch, after watch cleanup, training, corrective maintenance and required maintenance.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 11, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Flyinglemur posted:

I see what you're saying, but I was there at the awards ceremony on the tank deck.

They called him Doctor Diesel because he knew everything about the engine rooms and had been there for 8 years and couldn't transfer because back in those days if you were on the Fatboy program you just stayed where you were and didn't get kicked out. He was there when I transferred off in Somalia to go to sub school and even though the ship was decommissioned and sold to Spain, some say his rear end is still in that hole to this day

Had a QM2 on my boat who had been there for over 6 years. Couldn't transfer because he was like 400lbs. To try and shame him they put him under me as a not even paid for yet E-4 running deck div. I told him straight up dude I am *not* going to tell you what to do this is hosed and he just said don't worry about it. Dude was one of the best guys on the boat.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Elviscat posted:

I think you missed:

Stuck on the boat for 12+ loving hours a day, 7 days a week, not even doing something productive with your time. Being out to sea is a better alternative, even on a submarine.

Working 90 to 100 hours a week sucks, and is miserable, so is being out to sea. Being on a boat for that long, with nothing to occupy your time except dodging fuckface Khakis asking you why you're not working (you're not working because there is no actual work available) is worse than either of those things.

In my experience, sailors will work 16 hour days with almost no complaints if they're doing something. It's pretty common for nukes to work those hours during retest periods after availabilities.

But sitting around, doing nothing except being barred from doing things you might want to do? Awful, complete bullshit.

E: at least at sea you can play a couple hands of Euchre or Cribbage, work out, and gently caress off to your rack to jerk off after you're done with watch, after watch cleanup, training, corrective maintenance and required maintenance.

Working for 12+ hours is gruelling, but sitting around doing nothing for the same amount of time with no option to find something to do with your time AND enjoying sleep deprivation is a form of torture.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Navy is a form of torture.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yea I was on a ship in Europe for a year during covid protocol and we couldn’t do heavy maintenance anyways. We spent months dockside not allowed to leave the ship but at least you get fresh food and Amazon delivery in Gaeta at least.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Crab Dad posted:

Yea I was on a ship in Europe for a year during covid protocol and we couldn’t do heavy maintenance anyways. We spent months dockside not allowed to leave the ship but at least you get fresh food and Amazon delivery in Gaeta at least.

I spent a year in drydock where I had to sleep on the ship so I could save myself an hour commute each day so I could workout onboard and not feel like joining the skipjack diving team. For this transgression I caught poo poo from coner morons who were on duty and saw me working out and sleeping on board and thought it was unfair that I wasn't working while I was aboard.

gently caress the navy

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
When I was in deck department on my first ship, the Bos'n had an "onboard, on duty" policy which was fantastic for us boot camp scrubs that had nowhere else to go. And that man would work us until well after taps.

What a piece of poo poo that guy was

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

When I was in deck department on my first ship, the Bos'n had an "onboard, on duty" policy which was fantastic for us boot camp scrubs that had nowhere else to go. And that man would work us until well after taps.

I got pretty angry just reading this post holy poo poo. FTN

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

When I took over as LPO on my first boat, I made sure maintenance was ready to go in the morning, and instituted a policy of watchstander's lib for the offgoing duty section. Once we cleared our horrific backlog of maintenance, we started leaving around 1500 every day, unless there was a really big job we had to do (mostly big nuclear evolutions we couldn't secure and restart easily, VOLCs, hydros etc.)

We went from no one in M-div reenlisting, to 90% reenlistment for mechanics who reported onboard during my tenure. I'm both very proud of making sure those dude's lives didn't suck, and guilty that I let them think being a Navy Nuke could be not insanely terrible.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Crab Dad posted:

pretty sure the alternative is "liberty" at least thats what we saw when we'd have quarters at 0700 and the OS's were skipping down the pier by 0800

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Flyinglemur posted:

This is awful jeez. Actively making peoples lives worse for no good reason. What do you call your act?

The Navy!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Thread is reminding me of my 0700-1300 in port schedule, though different service.

Working DoN for almost ten years and at the level I’m at has me convinced the harm reduction path is to only allow aviators to have command roles.

I’m not going to think that through, sorry folks, that’s just how it is

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Man it totally escaped me that I'd be on leave on 9/11 and frankly it's been great. Gimme memes, not a long-winded 1MC address about vigilance and sacrifice and jingoistic bullshit.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Man it totally escaped me that I'd be on leave on 9/11 and frankly it's been great. Gimme memes, not a long-winded 1MC address about vigilance and sacrifice and jingoistic bullshit.

oh 100% all day "remember the sacrafice" "never forget" yadda yadda. Zero mention of who did it or what their motivations were. Seems like they already forgot....

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Other than having 30 seconds of silence, we didn't do anything on the ship. The Chiefs and the Selectees did a 9.11 k run, and it was noted that we probably have sailors that weren't even born when 9/11 happened.

It was 22 years ago. Of course we do.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I don't think we ever mentioned 9-11 when I was shipboard.

I guess we forgot :(

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Friend of mine posted this and I am so happy to have it, as my copy got lost in a hard drive crash.

One night in La Maddalena it was EXTREMELY foggy and after the last water taxi made it back to the ship, the harbor unit decided to have a little fun.

The investigation revealed that there were issues with the proper use of navigation tools and speed was a contributing factor

It was like that in the morning when we went to work, since the ship was moored to an island and water taxis were the only way to get to and from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Grip it and rip it posted:

I spent a year in drydock where I had to sleep on the ship so I could save myself an hour commute each day so I could workout onboard and not feel like joining the skipjack diving team. For this transgression I caught poo poo from coner morons who were on duty and saw me working out and sleeping on board and thought it was unfair that I wasn't working while I was aboard.

gently caress the navy

At least you could sleep on the ship. When we pulled in for decom on the enterprise the first things we got rid of were the galley and racks. If you wanted to sleep you had to head two piers over into a duty berthing and eventually that just got taken over by the loving ford so we ended up having to sleep in the old S-8 office in computer chairs (Or the RPCP if you were bold enough)