Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Silver Falcon posted:

Pit vipers are a thing. The term refers to a larger group of venomous snakes that have heat sensing "pits" near their nostrils. Essentially they have heat vision. It's badass as gently caress.

Examples of pit vipers include rattlesnakes and copperheads.

Also cottonmouths. Basically, all the venomous snakes in the US that aren't red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

McGavin posted:

Opossums are marsupials, so they're only pregnant for about 2 weeks and the babies are about the size of a grain of rice when they're born. She's probably not pregnant, but might have babies inside her pouch.

Even neater, imo.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Rosy Wolfsnail, I believe. Eastern NC

It was really interesting watching him go from leaf to leaf.

Also, they're very cute but also legitimately look like aliens with all their little head tentacles.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
More bug eating bug. This time a dragonfly and some unknown victim bug. Bugs are hardcore as gently caress:

https://i.imgur.com/hHnFMfv.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dragonflies are some of the coolest bugs, I'm glad it was chill enough to let you get some video while it was on its lunch break.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Another bug rescue, this time a mantis in an abandoned spider web. He was PISSED and tried to fight about it. :3:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We had a visitor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYCJYWXS5Qw

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mobile Gherkin!

Quite beautiful, whatever it is

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

dillmoncher black swallowtail. so many of them out there in the CSA garden today

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Well, this was unexpected. What I thought was going to be an overwintering brood decided to emerge to try their luck and race fall. I don't know if there is going to be 7 weeks of leaves and fair weather left.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

Well, this was unexpected. What I thought was going to be an overwintering brood decided to emerge to try their luck and race fall. I don't know if there is going to be 7 weeks of leaves and fair weather left.

Whoa, that's an awesome pic, though. Were they all in the same place when they came out, or do they congregate together? Never saw more than one at a time before.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Whoa, that's an awesome pic, though. Were they all in the same place when they came out, or do they congregate together? Never saw more than one at a time before.

I've got about 200 cocoons in a big mesh box. 25 of them emerged yesterday, 24 of them male, so I set them out on the railing to seek their fortunes. Was a little chilly, so enough stayed put for a few minutes to take the picture.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Slo-Tek posted:

I've got about 200 cocoons in a big mesh box. 25 of them emerged yesterday, 24 of them male, so I set them out on the railing to seek their fortunes. Was a little chilly, so enough stayed put for a few minutes to take the picture.

Do they always emerge a bunch at once like that in a given brood?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

Oh, that makes a lot more sense. That's a ton of cocoons though, there were enough moths in the photo alone that I wasn't sure you'd have been hatching them, picturing individual containers for each one :v:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 11, 2023

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

the yeti posted:

Do they always emerge a bunch at once like that in a given brood?

Within a week or so of eachother, in a given brood. But as a total population, there is somebody on the wing from May to August around here, and year round in Florida and Texas. The last several years I've had one spring brood, one summer brood, and an overwintering brood. Three non-diapausing broods is a first, and might be a problem, because any caterpillars from this batch won't be done till pretty late in October, and we often get a freeze before Halloween.

In a big batch like this, there are probably going to be a few overwintering bugs, but I am a little worried.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Another funnel weaver has taken up residence inside, beyond one of my bedside tables. She was apparently thirsty since she cleared up the water droplets that I mustered around her hide.

My cat noticed a recluse creeping around above her, so I squished it and put its very dead corpse outside her burrow. That corpse has now disappeared. So I think she may be willing to eat freshly killed things.

I tried to get a video of her working on her new digs, waving her butt around to web the wall, but she noticed me and ran back into her den to hide, which is a good instinct.

I need to look up if they guard their eggs or not, cause I’m guessing she is planning to lay a bunch there and it is near my bed, so I would like to relocate them—outside if they don’t hatch until spring.

Bored fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 14, 2023

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Bored posted:

Another funnel weaver has taken up residence inside, beyond one of my bedside tables. She was apparently thirsty since she cleared up the water droplets that I mustered around her hide.

My cat noticed a recluse creeping around above her, so I squished it and put its very dead corpse outside her burrow. That corpse has now disappeared. So I think she may be willing to eat freshly killed things.

I tried to get a video of her working on her new digs, waving her butt around to web the wall, but she noticed me and ran back into her den to hide, which is a good instinct.

I need to look up if they guard their eggs or not, cause I’m guessing she is planning to lay a bunch there and it is near my bed, so I would like to relocate them—outside if they don’t hatch until spring.

Either she's willing to take sacrifices or she's extremely offended you left trash on her porch and destroyed all evidence of it.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Chaosfeather posted:

Either she's willing to take sacrifices or she's extremely offended you left trash on her porch and destroyed all evidence of it.

Yeah, I thought the second, too. Like, maybe she grabbed it, took it behind the table, and dropped it to the floor, all mad that someone is littering in her yard.

Edit: Hope she doesn’t think it’s a threat :oh dear:

Bored fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 14, 2023

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

People feed tarantulas freshly killed prey for various reasons, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if other kinds of spiders also accept dead prey.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Went out for a post-storm walk and found this finger-sized 'pillar of the community waddling about.

Any idea what it'll turn into? (Central CT)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Elm Sphinx. I highly recommend the Seek app by iNatutalist.

MehrTentakelnBitte
Jun 27, 2014

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhl'apn
Big spider in the back yard just now, approx 2.25" not including legs :3
Argiope bruennichi? Or something similar at least (thanks, Animal Crossing!).

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

I think I’m gonna have to find a way to affix the opossum food bowl to the porch because the latest raccoon keeps stealing it to eat under the porch.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Argiope aurantia I think.

I don't know what this fuzzy thing is, but it's clearly some species of wasp food. (I think it's a sycamore tiger moth larva.)

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 19, 2023

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone know this little guy might be?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Weevil of some kind, I'd guess. They come in lots of shapes and sizes but almost all of them have that big ol' nose.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Does anyone know this little guy might be?

Seconding Norris that it looks like a weevil. Where are you located roughly?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

the yeti posted:

Seconding Norris that it looks like a weevil. Where are you located roughly?

Oh yeah that might be important information. Blue Mountains National Park Australia.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Could that be a form of Batesian mimicry? I swear it's trying to look like a stink bug, and those taste bad, right?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The Red Queen posted:

Could that be a form of Batesian mimicry? I swear it's trying to look like a stink bug, and those taste bad, right?

I def thought it was in that stink/shield/etc bug area at first so it’s certainly possible

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I had to get up at 330am and this tussock moth caterpillar was just chilling on a bottle of kahlua in my kitchen. I took pics to make sure he was real.

I guess one of those grey moths that insist on following me inside was gravid.

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
^^ I call them toothbrush caterpillars :roflolmao:

https://i.imgur.com/Iq52lQb.mp4 shakin' midgee

https://imgur.com/gallery/3Z8dic3
midgees making more midgees

Shiney McShine fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 21, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

I had to get up at 330am and this tussock moth caterpillar was just chilling on a bottle of kahlua in my kitchen. I took pics to make sure he was real.

I guess one of those grey moths that insist on following me inside was gravid.

Lol, that's awesome, but unexpectedly seeing one would probably shock me awake for the rest of the night. They're cool, but they just have way too much going on for my tired mind to take in.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
https://i.imgur.com/7KXA6OE.mp4

Speakina caterpillars

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I saw an earwig on my patio this morning

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Is it normal for their heads to fall off?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I thought something was going on with its head at first, but I think it just has a neck that camouflages with the concrete. Its neck has the same colors/pattern as the legs. It was scurrying around like this anyway

Only registered members can see post attachments!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 22, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Transparency is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's funny, it's so tough to see even knowing it's there. It's like a tiny little insectile Rayman.