Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

How's the weather on Sun? Oh, looks sunny and a chance of storms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'd give myself a few months depending on when we got blasted with the radiation. If it happens in the dead of winter I'd have a hell of a time.

you would have a fraction of that time before you poo poo your brains out and died because of dirty water

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

it's sun, it's supposed to be hot

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
If you really want to see how other people have done it, I can think of one really direct comparison and its that family of russians that disappeared into siberia for decades and only got found by a gas and oil survey, otherwise read about the pilgrims and their first winter.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

500excf type r posted:

you would have a fraction of that time before you poo poo your brains out and died because of dirty water

Nah, I know all the basic stuff. My major problem would be my meds running out and me becoming a gibbering wreck as a result.

Or starvation. Or unforseen stuff like I break a leg while I'm out checking traps and die of shock and exposure. Or I get sick. Or someone shoots me for funsies.

I guess my goal would be to see if I could live until they get the lights back on, but I have no idea how long that would take or if it's even feasible when the whole supply system has collapsed. Maybe I'd just join a commune?idk, I hope it doesn't happen because it would suck.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wouldn't people just take your stuff?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

500excf type r posted:

If you really want to see how other people have done it, I can think of one really direct comparison and its that family of russians that disappeared into siberia for decades and only got found by a gas and oil survey, otherwise read about the pilgrims and their first winter.

For 18 years, Agafia lived with one of the geologists, Yerofei Sedov. She has remarked to VICE News on his uselessness and how she had to supply him with water.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Nah, I know all the basic stuff. My major problem would be my meds running out and me becoming a gibbering wreck as a result.

Or starvation. Or unforseen stuff like I break a leg while I'm out checking traps and die of shock and exposure. Or I get sick. Or someone shoots me for funsies.

I guess my goal would be to see if I could live until they get the lights back on, but I have no idea how long that would take or if it's even feasible when the whole supply system has collapsed. Maybe I'd just join a commune?idk, I hope it doesn't happen because it would suck.

i think it sounds like a lot of fun

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I would find a group of likeminded survivors and we'd have lots of fun together traveling the country and searching for cans of beans

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

smoobles posted:

I would find a group of likeminded survivors and we'd have lots of fun together traveling the country and searching for cans of beans

can i join

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

smoobles posted:

the only way of surviving is by banding together and working as a coordinated group, so this is a good plan

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

500excf type r posted:

the only way of surviving is by banding together and working as a coordinated group, so this is a good plan

no i'd probably just like invent a bunch of stuff and do science and be fine

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

no i'd probably just like invent a bunch of stuff and do science and be fine

i know what youre saying but if you could actually invent something useful, you might not get murdered. It worked for Archimedes right? right???

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I's just re-invent the can opener.

Check mate hoarder scum! :smug:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

500excf type r posted:

the percentage of americans that can survive on their own indefinitely is zero

i think plenty of Alone contestants could survive indefinitely in a warmer climate with more game around

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

imo any renaissance fair community that could congregate would probably survive since they know the basics. the amish would become a regional power.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

500excf type r posted:

the percentage of americans that can survive on their own indefinitely is zero

thats basically the entire developed world to be fair. i doubt a dude working for a tech company in guandong would do any better than some lady in Munich or a dude in Rio

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

the amish would become a regional power.
They're ironically almost as dependent on tech/society as everyone else, it's just not connected to the grid.

They can almost definitely go longer than the average person just because their local transportation can eat grass and they have more food on hand, but the meat in their freezer will spoil just like the meat in mine when the propane truck can't come by to make the delivery.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

smoobles posted:

it's sun, it's supposed to be hot

At this time of the year though?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
amish techno-hypocrisy will be their undoing

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

The Amish are already superpowers in a number of regions, those fuckers really know how to Do A Capitalism, with several heaping sides of gently caress Those "Other People"

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
They are a cute tourist curiosity to most of the country. This is definitely not the case for those of us who are their neighbors.

Edit for CSPAM interest: They are also a fundamentalist Christian religious group that the GOP has increasingly been getting to vote.

stealie72 has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Sep 11, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
mennonite women have hearing that borders on superhuman

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

mennonite women have hearing that borders on superhuman

our dycks belong in the hands of the mennonite community

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mormons would do pretty well i guess, doesnt their religion basically command them to be preppers?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

ekuNNN posted:

mormons would do pretty well i guess, doesnt their religion basically command them to be preppers?

mormons are the only true manifestation of the American Ideal and will outlive us all

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

stealie72 posted:

They're ironically almost as dependent on tech/society as everyone else, it's just not connected to the grid.

They can almost definitely go longer than the average person just because their local transportation can eat grass and they have more food on hand, but the meat in their freezer will spoil just like the meat in mine when the propane truck can't come by to make the delivery.

This is true, the Amish operate on a spectrum and some are more hard core than others. I have an uncle who sold his farm to an Amish family, the way they interpreted the requirements of their religion is they couldn't have a phone in their house, but they COULD have one in the barn. They have other creative workarounds where some tech is OK if they squint hard enough and identify some rudimentary version of it from a few hundred years ago. All that said, they would do way better than the rest of us, even if all their meat spoiled when the propane truck didn't come. Enough of the rest of us would starve when Uber Eats stops working and they would be able to scavenge what they needed from the less fortunate.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

lol at being so christian cult broke brained that you buy propane to keep your perishable food cold rather than generating your own electricity from the sun like a heathen

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

except that people would be pouring out of all neighboring metro areas, outnumbering the pacifist amish a hundred to one as they occupied their farms and ate their buggies and horses

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The thing you need to realize with the amish, mormons, mennonites, etc is that they are organized groups of people that share common goals and work together to achieve those goals. Without community you will never have success.

If you haven't already talked to your neighbors and started plans on how to work together as a group through any future adverse situation then there is no better time to start than now

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

apatite posted:

lol at being so christian cult broke brained that you buy propane to keep your perishable food cold rather than generating your own electricity from the sun like a heathen
Seeing more and more solar panels at amish houses around here, so they are starting to.

500excf type r posted:

The thing you need to realize with the amish, mormons, mennonites, etc is that they are organized groups of people that share common goals and work together to achieve those goals. Without community you will never have success.

If you haven't already talked to your neighbors and started plans on how to work together as a group through any future adverse situation then there is no better time to start than now
Also, this. The most preppery prepper has nowhere near the survival potential of any random group that is used to working together.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

If you crank out 12 kids and make them work hard labor from the age of 9, eventually for pay that you then keep and refuse to let them leave until they are 21 you can build an incredibly resilient community right in your own home, really makes u think

(also, I agree with the above posters, but clearly not with Amish people)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

apatite posted:

If you crank out 12 kids and make them work hard labor from the age of 9, eventually for pay that you then keep and refuse to let them leave until they are 21 you can build an incredibly resilient community right in your own home, really makes u think

i learned from historical documentary The Patriot that you can turn all your kids into a sniper team

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

i say swears online posted:

i learned from historical documentary The Patriot that you can turn all your kids into a sniper team

My 11 year old son routinely outshoots me at distance with both his and my guns lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the coolest thing that the amish do is let their kids do a bunch of meth and become alcoholics and do crimes when they are 16 which somehow actually makes them want to be amish afterwards

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

those rumspringa youtubes are nuts

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ekuNNN posted:

if you don't have at least a year's worth of supplies for your half dozen offspring are you really worthy of getting your own planet in the hereafter

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

celadon posted:

except that people would be pouring out of all neighboring metro areas, outnumbering the pacifist amish a hundred to one as they occupied their farms and ate their buggies and horses

the amish aren't actually pacifists and neither is any other religious community that has lasted for more than a century in America, land of random violence

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

i say swears online posted:

those rumspringa youtubes are nuts

all they wanna do is make pound cake, and we're running outta frosting, boys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
my plan when the grid goes down is to off myself immediately and hope i get isekai'd to a world where catgirls are real does that sound viable