Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
China has had a couple of blackface performances in their annual CNY events over the last few years and received a lot of criticism in the international community for it. Their response was to tell us all that we're the problem, not them, so it's basically just a doubling-down mentally.

The most Korean thing I ever had to deal with didn't even happen in Korea. It was in Taiwan.

There was a local bar I went to all the time. It was basically the place where I learned to speak Chinese and got on really well with the staff and regulars. I was there having drinks with a buddy one evening when a big group of Korean businessmen came in. This was highly unusual, but hey come on in and have a drink, right? The younger Korean guys saw my friend and I and started chitchatting with us to the point where we sat down with them at their table. Everyone was having a great time until the leader of the group, the oldest man, stopped the drinking, pointing to the other side of the bar, and told us that the "foreigners" should return there.

Having lived in Korea, this was exactly as anticipated, so I said gently caress it and ditched them because I didn't need to get into a few in my own local. Throughout the rest of the night, the younger guys came up to us one by one to apologize, but there was just nothing they could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
Anyway, changing the subject. Korean academies overseas specializing in gaining admission to prestigious US universities get a decent number of Chinese students and I happen to have been in a position to hear first-hand stories from one in a major California urban center. Some of you mentioned "oh know what will happen when these kids go abroad and show their asses" and I can tell you a couple examples.

* One kid who could barely speak English was just suuuper into basketball and specifically had the belief that being black was a kind of "stat buff," and would just tell everybody who would listen. He would go up to black kids on the street and in his classes and say "you like basketball right? Because you're black" (not paraphrasing.) People kept telling him again and again this wasn't cool but he would keep doing it.
* Another kid got his laptop stolen in a cafe. The academy administrators called the police for him and they came to the academy. Two officers - one black and one Asian - came and interviewed him. They asked him, "what did they look like?" and the kid answered, "like you, because all black people look the same." The cops tried to go into details and get more details like height, weight but he just kept repeating that. The police officers were surprisingly sanguine about this, almost as if they expected it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I hate to take on the role of "Korea defender", but even though a lot of what has been said rings true, I suppose I have to.

Because my personal experience in Korea, (and I did 7 years there, in 3 different towns in 3 different provinces), is the antithesis of everything that has been said so far.

I was 32 when I first set foot there. And I lived in Namhae, a tiny speck of a village on an island 4 1/2 hours bus trip from Seoul. So I wasn't partying with a bunch of rowdy English Teachers out living their worst Psy/BTS fantasies. Nor was I being cornered by drunk businessmen being lectured about Korean racial superiority.

I was practicing my Korean with the old lady at the bus stop who was asking me why I didn't have a Korean girlfriend/wife yet. I was smiling and waving at the bloke in the supermarket who once went to Sydney on holiday, so now considers me, (an Australian), his best mate. I was walking past farms up the hill to my Middle school where I worked on Mondays that had a total of 25 students in the entire school.

I know anecdote is not data, and your experiences of being spat at in Seoul for daring to be not Korean whilst being told that fan death is real etc. is as valid as my funtimes out in the provinces. I just feel that there are other stories.

And on xenophobia etc. I will say that I felt more malice, more racism, and more "gently caress you foreigner" in the stares and "HALLLOO!"s I got in the year and a half I lived in Fujian than I ever did in the entire 7 years in Korea.

Sorry for being petty, whingy and defensive

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

BrigadierSensible posted:

I hate to take on the role of "Korea defender", but even though a lot of what has been said rings true, I suppose I have to.

Sorry for being petty, whingy and defensive

I don't read you that way at all and I think at this point in time, treating multiple perspectives as valid is the only way to go. I'm sharing some of my experiences explicitly with the intent of saying that a great deal of it comes down to my own inexperience and naivety. That doesn't forgive or dismiss the genuinely awful things I was witness to, but I think where I was at in life strongly informed how I got myself into those situations and how I responded to them once I was in them.

I work in a foreign managed school in Thailand with WASC and CIS accreditation. I couldn't imagine a Thai, or any other, coworker coming up to me and explaining my racial inferiority, but if it did happen, I would probably just laugh to myself rather than be appalled. "You do you, buddy," and all that. If I had an equivalent position in Korea, heading a department at an international school, commuting under my own power from the suburbs, and mostly doing family stuff on the weekends, I don't think my life in Korea would be bad at all, and I think I'd be treated more or less exactly as I'm treated here or would be anywhere else.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ive not gotten to go spend any substantial time in korea, but my experiences with koreans that just recently immigrated to canada are: in high school after a week of being passively friendly with someone that had just moved over, he gave me his social security number so i could vpn and play the monster hunter mmo. and in university the fob first year koreans at u of t were always really excited to try "western stuff" so i would sell them fenced cheese i was stealing from loblaws at a huge markup. the chinese students had a similar desire but way shittier behaviour and weird entitlement kinda vibe, hard to explain.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

My take is that short videos on Africa play into, but are not ultimately responsible for Chinese racist views on Black people. One possible influence (not the only, I don’t want to suggest America is the sole source of any Chinese perspective!) for Chinese racism is simply terminally-online anti-Americanism and oversees Chinese right wing echo chambers that filter back to the mainland through Chinese expats and returnees. Opposing racism is the 白左 (white leftist; SJW) view point, and Chinese populism sets itself up as against the perceived hypocritical liberal American mainstream. Ironically, the same kind of expat negativity we can see in this very thread, that I myself and guilty of, probably also leads to racist viewpoints from Chinese people in other countries informing mainstream discourse in the mainland.

That is to say, it’s not just douyin videos from Chinese expats in Africa that help to construct Chinese racist views on Black people. It’s likely just as much social media content created by Chinese expats in the US and Europe, who primarily consume Mandarin media from China and who feel excluded by the local culture (or exclude themselves from the local culture), that shapes the increasingly racist narrative.

anecdotally none of the especially tasteless wechat fw: fw: fw: re: -type content I see/hear about is anti-American in the particular and is even more e.g. anti-European. Much of it emerges from stuff on douyin or bilibili rather than tiktok also

France and Germany in particular get a beating for Eurabia-type frothy wingnut content (e.g., recent coverage of the July riots in France) and it doesn't map well onto typical contemporary Chinese FP thinking on favourite hate of the day

if you would like a demographic just-so story, it's worth noting that:
1/ China has reached the point where its urban middle classes have now settled down and have turned toward middle-class concerns, like stomping out urban crime and vagrancy. Tangshan is remarkable I think for being received as LAW AND ORDER :argh: rather than "crazy rurals, am I right?". Having promised that the state can now do anything, people now always expect the state to do something
2/ Like with many countries, there is a massively outsized estimate of African immigration. Again like with many countries, there's a kind of tipping-point effect where a low visible minority (in Guangzhou, say) is enough to generate fear but not enough to generate familiarity
3/ Chinese state media coverage of its presence in Africa has moved uniformly to what China is doing to help Africa, which generates quite a bit of "why aren't we helping 自己人??" in a certain kind of jeering domestic pundit. Yes, people in other countries are also entitled to be equally confused as to how much their country is really spending on foreign aid as one's own

there's enough of this content that it survives as a human interest vlogger niche, and then the most toxic stuff gets peeled off for the fw: fw: fw: paranoia circle

It's also the case that a majority of the Chinese diaspora remains in Southeast Asia, not US or Europe, and racial issues/perceived victimhood in Southeast Asia are a whole can of worms

ronya fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 11, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How's Korea for just visiting as just a tourist for a few weeks? I've been looking for a good time to do a combined trip with Japan (since it's a long / expensive flight) for a while. Never noticed any hostility to a whitey in Taiwan, HK, Macau or Shanghai but no idea about Korea now.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

mobby_6kl posted:

How's Korea for just visiting as just a tourist for a few weeks? I've been looking for a good time to do a combined trip with Japan (since it's a long / expensive flight) for a while. Never noticed any hostility to a whitey in Taiwan, HK, Macau or Shanghai but no idea about Korea now.

It will be absolutely fine, especially if you're a tourist in touristy areas doing touristy things. All the worst horror stories in this and other threads happened around 10-15 years ago, and possibly even more, and Korea's a lot different than it was then.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, I think one of the big things is that Korea's moved at a lightning pace socially, more than expats that have been out of the country for 5-10+ years generally realize. Feminism went from a complete unknown to a major part of the national conversation; a big part of that is hearing how regressive a ton of young Korean guys are / current admin is, but on the flip side you have a lot of very tuned in young women. LGBT+ is the same, there's huge reactionary religious blocks, but a lot of young people have very different attitudes and that's filtered out even to some of the olds. A lot of the conversations have kinda blown up into huge fights but that's because people are engaged with it and many aren't tolerating a lot of the older attitudes anymore. Treatment of foreigners has moved on too. In most of Seoul it's not remotely notable to be a foreigner, and even speaking good Korean isn't an eye opener among certain crowds now.

Nationalism is the same tho

ronya posted:

In both cases I have a pet theory what's happening - the people who would be normally on the liberal left intelligentsia playing the anti-racist counterweight to the discourse are all busy in some other corner of the zeitgeist. In Korea's case there's a tendency to openly fantasize about an alternate, much nicer North Korea than actually exists; said North Korea upholds Korean primordial ethnic purity and prioritizes hating Japan, so the intelligentsia do too. In more apologetic ways, but that's the priority.

I have... never seen this. Most people want nothing to do with North Korea, let alone fantasizing about it. Maybe back in the 1970s.

The big thing in Korea is that the left / right essentially flipped with regards to ethno-nationalism. The left wing was the party that 'won' independence, the right wing was the one that supported Japanese colonialism. So in general right wingers are a lot more positive on Japan / wanting an entente etc -- and that can even extend into following the colonial-era "we need to learn from Japan, Japan's culture is so much better than ours" stuff, especially among older people. Left wingers reject that entirely and are generally much more nationalistic.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the nationalism stayed the same because the security posture stayed basically the same. you only need nationalism when there's a serious chance of a fight on your own soil, which is why north americans and west europeans are incredibly less nationalistic than east euros and east asians. the wealth has less to do with it than you'd expect

nations are imagined communities, but the most important imagining of them is them having each others back in a fight. thats why serbians and croatians are different nations despite serbian language not being materially different from croatian language and basically all other aspect of culture not being materially different - they had a war. same w tutsis and hutu peeps

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 11, 2023

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Koramei posted:

I have... never seen this. Most people want nothing to do with North Korea, let alone fantasizing about it. Maybe back in the 1970s.

The big thing in Korea is that the left / right essentially flipped with regards to ethno-nationalism. The left wing was the party that 'won' independence, the right wing was the one that supported Japanese colonialism. So in general right wingers are a lot more positive on Japan / wanting an entente etc -- and that can even extend into following the colonial-era "we need to learn from Japan, Japan's culture is so much better than ours" stuff, especially among older people. Left wingers reject that entirely and are generally much more nationalistic.

Oh no, it's very contemporary. The 1970s version is fantasizing (rather illicitly, in Park's Korea) about anti-Japanese anti-capitalism but the contemporary version is just an alternate North Korea stripped of any ideological content

I might be hanging around too many highly educated college-film-club types as the handful of South Koreans I know goes, but it would hardly be novel to observe that Korea domestic pop/TV film successes from Joint Security Area to the much more recent TV soap opera Sarangui Boolshichak work to present North Korean soldiers as "handsome, daring, patriotic and multilingual elite fighters who dodge bullets while remaining loyal to their women and families", which is just a hilariously sharp turnaround from earlier Korean media under the censorship period.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Gay Bean posted:

I think some of us were truly traumatized by it.

I think I've gotten over it, but I moved to Korea one week before the Tohoku earthquake and seeing so much gleeful celebration of the deaths of tens of thousands of people just for the crime of being Japanese was not a great first impression to have of the country.

mobby_6kl posted:

It's fine, you'll have a good time. I'd suggest going to Korea first because Japan is a lot cheaper and after two months in Japan, I went to Korea and was just boiling every time I had to pay for anything. Also suggest not just staying in Seoul, there's a lot more to the country than that.

Also do a lot of hotel research. I've never gotten owned by lovely ones as often anywhere else in the world. If you can, the Japanese business hotel chains like Toyoko Inn are safe bets.

If you drink Korea is the easiest place in the world to make local friends, it's like the country equivalent of freshman year at college. In more ways than one.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 11, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah unless korea has gotten a lot worse since i stopped over (which i have heard literally nobody say, ever), a couple weeks sightseeing will be a great time.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

ronya posted:

Oh no, it's very contemporary. The 1970s version is fantasizing (rather illicitly, in Park's Korea) about anti-Japanese anti-capitalism but the contemporary version is just an alternate North Korea stripped of any ideological content

I might be hanging around too many highly educated college-film-club types as the handful of South Koreans I know goes, but it would hardly be novel to observe that Korea domestic pop/TV film successes from Joint Security Area to the much more recent TV soap opera Sarangui Boolshichak work to present North Korean soldiers as "handsome, daring, patriotic and multilingual elite fighters who dodge bullets while remaining loyal to their women and families", which is just a hilariously sharp turnaround from earlier Korean media under the censorship period.

That honestly describes my friend group to a T as well, but fair enough. As with all things I’m sure there’s a diversity of opinions.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Oh god, it's so much worse:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1701268584138264620#m

quote:

“When I saw that Ukrainian nazis are killing the children of Donbas, it caused a flurry of angry emotions in me, so I decided to come to Donbas and help the children,” said Chinese opera singer Wang-Fang in response to her visit to Mariupol.

Next to her is her husband Zhou Xiaoping. He is a member of the People's Political Consultative Council under the Chinese Communist Party. He blames the destruction of the drama theater not on Russia, but on Ukraine. And also supports Russian propaganda, in particular, about "protecting local residents from NATO attacks."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Disgusting

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ronya posted:

handsome, daring, patriotic and multilingual elite fighters who dodge bullets while remaining loyal to their women and families

Koramei posted:

That honestly describes my friend group to a T as well, but fair enough. As with all things I’m sure there’s a diversity of opinions.

Your friend group sounds cool.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Gay Bean posted:

Nobody respects you because you're an entry-level office worker on a temp contract, the lowest rung of the Korean ladder, and not only that but you traveled from a seemingly "better" place to do so. Your boss is trying to squeeze every last drop of English juice out of you. Men around your age who might be your friend and women who you might date see you as "somebody getting their start," and more than that, clueless because you don't see the malice hidden behind the question.

most esl teachers weren't even entry-level office workers, they're like promotional workers in shopping malls

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

vanity slug posted:

most esl teachers weren't even entry-level office workers, they're like promotional workers in shopping malls

They are like the people that hand out samples at costco.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I think I've gotten over it, but I moved to Korea one week before the Tohoku earthquake and seeing so much gleeful celebration of the deaths of tens of thousands of people just for the crime of being Japanese was not a great first impression to have of the country.

It's fine, you'll have a good time. I'd suggest going to Korea first because Japan is a lot cheaper and after two months in Japan, I went to Korea and was just boiling every time I had to pay for anything. Also suggest not just staying in Seoul, there's a lot more to the country than that.

Also do a lot of hotel research. I've never gotten owned by lovely ones as often anywhere else in the world. If you can, the Japanese business hotel chains like Toyoko Inn are safe bets.

If you drink Korea is the easiest place in the world to make local friends, it's like the country equivalent of freshman year at college. In more ways than one.
Wait Korea is more expensive than Japan? Fuuuk.

Well anyway, thanks, good to hear that it's actually fine. I haven't done any real research yet but definitely was planning on traveling around the country a bit.

I don't really drink at home but on vacation that's another matter :getin:

Yeah saw this before, definitely not going to the mainland anytime soon or I'd get immediately arrested for punching some vatniks.

MarcusSA posted:

They are like the people that hand out samples at costco.
Maybe if they were at Samsung or Hyundai it wouldn't be so bad

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sure if you work for a "Happy Giraffe" style hagwon then you are considered being on the lowest rung. There are shitloads of them in Korea, lots with a veneer of classyness and/or respectability. And that's coz you are. If you work for a shitbox hagwon in Korea, (or even China, Taiwan, Japan etc.), and expect to be given the respect of a tenured Uni professor, then good luck to you and I have a bridge you might like to buy.

In my 7 years there, 6 of them were working for public Elementary/Middle schools, and I was always surprised at the respect I got when I told people I was an English Teacher. (The last was in a shitbox Hagwon in PyeongChang where the owner owes me months worth of pay and my pension and health care payments. But that's an entirely different story.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait Korea is more expensive than Japan? Fuuuk.

Oh yeah. Just about everything in Seoul is at least double the price of Tokyo. Things have changed a lot since I was last there in 2018.

E: Very specific thing when hotel hunting, check the reviews to see if you can set the temperature in your room. A lot of hotels in Korea have centrally controlled thermostats. I did not enjoy trying to sleep in my 32 C hotel room very much.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 12, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
That was the thing though: I don't think most of us in the Korea threads at the time had anything to do with the hagwons. Like it always caught me off guard when I met a hagwon teacher out in the wild in a very "oh wow you do exist" kind of way. They would talk about their holidays to us and poo poo and we'd be baffled by why anyone would work those jobs.

The norm, at least in my circles at the time, was GEPIK and EPIK teachers. It's not like the average person recoiled in horror upon finding out what jobs we had, but I also don't remember people being particularly differential to it, nor should they have been. When it wasn't the stereotypical "oh you must be the homeless sexual" nonsense from some goober, it was mostly just met with "oh, ok" and moving on.

In Taiwan though, being a cram school teacher was the norm and half the country has worked in the cram school industry at some point so no one really saw it as a blackmark. At most there was a bit of jealousy that foreign cram school teachers were paid so much better than Taiwanese cram school teachers, but the cram schools were seen as an absolutely essential part of the educational experience and so foreign cram school teachers were obviously a necessity.

Taiwan never had a JET/GEPIK equivalent and in fact kept the barrier to working in the public schools to a very high standard. There were a lot of people I knew in Taiwan who had to hide in secret rooms of their private schools whenever immigration came through.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh yeah. Just about everything in Seoul is at least double the price of Tokyo. Things have changed a lot since I was last there in 2018.

I spent two weeks in Nihombashi for work in the fall of 2022, just before things re-opened to tourists, and god drat everything was so cheap. I guess the dollar was particularly strong compared to the yen; the prices I paid for food and drink in the center of the world's biggest city were shockingly low. Except for the cocktails at Bar Penguin in Ginza, but those were worth it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

E: Very specific thing when hotel hunting, check the reviews to see if you can set the temperature in your room. A lot of hotels in Korea have centrally controlled thermostats. I did not enjoy trying to sleep in my 32 C hotel room very much.

Oh, and also check to make sure the hotel has real beds. I have no idea what the tourism sector looks like in Korea now, but the kinds of hotels my school always booked when we were on a trip would have maybe one bed and everyone else slept on mats on the floor. I guess this is more authentically Korean, but might be a shock if you're not used to it and expecting something more western.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The dollar's still strong, but that's true in Korea too. Korea's just fuckin expensive now. Through the magic of lost decades everything in Japan still costs the same as it did in 1990 so now it's one of the cheapest places to travel.

(yes yes they're having a little inflation as a treat but it's still cheap)

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oh, and also check to make sure the hotel has real beds. I have no idea what the tourism sector looks like in Korea now, but the kinds of hotels my school always booked when we were on a trip would have maybe one bed and everyone else slept on mats on the floor. I guess this is more authentically Korean, but might be a shock if you're not used to it and expecting something more western.

I have never run into mats on the floor in an actual hotel, but the bed will probably be made of concrete. That's just Korea's way. The worst place I ever stayed, the bed was in a little alcove with a wall at both the top and bottom, and the bed was also significantly shorter than me so I couldn't fit in it. And it was made of stone. Basically didn't sleep for four days. Don't get the really cheap hotel rooms. If you see "officetel" anywhere, close the tab.

Japanese business hotel chains. I stayed in a Toyoko in Korea and it was fine. The Korean hotel was literal hot garbage.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 12, 2023

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grand Fromage posted:

The dollar's still strong, but that's true in Korea too. Korea's just fuckin expensive now. Through the magic of lost decades everything in Japan still costs the same as it did in 1990 so now it's one of the cheapest places to travel.

"is this plate lunch, with the pork tonkatsu and the lovely supermarket takoyakis, and enough food for three meals, really only $6.50??" the answer is, yes!

actually i thought fruits were kind of pricey in japan. that was probably the bulk of my food expenses

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fur20 posted:

actually i thought fruits were kind of pricey in japan. that was probably the bulk of my food expenses

Fruit's a weird exception. Usually expensive in Korea too, except for the magical Jeju mandarin season where my body became 50% citrus.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Best loving tangerines on the planet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I tried to always buy from the same people at the market since they tend to give you free poo poo if you're a regular and my potato lady once gave me a four or five kilo bag of them just because. I hope potato halmeoni is doing well.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I went over during the height of COVID so had to stay in one of the quarantine hotels, which was an experience. You basically paid a fixed fee, and would have to sit in your room for 2 weeks while they left meals outside the door 3 times a day. The catch was, you get assigned a location by complete luck of the draw; some were pretty nice and in central places, but the locations got government funding (at a time when hotels were obviously hit pretty hard) so you had a number of rundown places out in the middle of nowhere that obviously were not prepared/willing to put in the effort required for all the quarantine protocols, and there were a bunch of horror stories floating around of people with really grimy/messy rooms or sometimes missing meals and such.

I lucked out and got put in a suite in a 5 star hotel right by Incheon airport. Wasn't really a proper hotel experience, but probably couldn't have done better considering the circumstances. Worst part was some of the food getting pretty monotonous (there were a dozen menu items they'd cycle through, ranging from adequate to pretty dang gross) and you only getting a tiny bottle of water with each meal as your supply for the day.

My worst Korea hotel experience was the first one I went to, when I found the cheapest capsule hotel available and there was some very questionable fungus growing in the shower stalls. Otherwise honestly I thought they've all been pretty good, but then I usually went for midrange or up so maybe it filters out the really weird ones.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I tried horse carpaccio in Tokyo... at those prices, I couldn't afford not to!

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I just wish I could convince more Aussies to shoot and eat horses, they are ruining coroboree frog habitats.

The best horse I had was tartare and some bbq in Japan

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i ordered a sakura-zushi by accident not knowing it wasn't fish

now im confused as to why we eat so much cow when these delicious horses are right. there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've tried horse a few times a few different ways and just am not a fan. Donkey, on the other hand, is delightful.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I never had to do quarantine anywhere. My wife and son had to do it at home when they visited Taiwan for one of the covid summers, but I stayed put in Thailand until restrictions had been lifted because I would have absolutely lost my mind. Even in her empty parents' house (they stayed at the family shophouse during the quarantine) it sounded loving miserable.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
(Braindance words from a while back)

I've seen this sort of thing before in several people, and it looks like you need to take a break before you burn out on the country entirely.
Getting bureaucratic bullshit and HALOOO isn't good, obviously, but it's a fairly reliable and regular event, and if it's getting to you then you need to find some way to relax and regroup.

Re: recent increase in anti-black racism in China, yeah, definitely something I've noticed.
An effective response to my students is: "I disagree, but much more important than that, why do you care? When was the last time you actually met or even saw a black person?"

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Grand Fromage posted:

I've tried horse a few times a few different ways and just am not a fan. Donkey, on the other hand, is delightful.

I tried donkey thanks to this man and can confirm it is delightful

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Atopian posted:

Getting bureaucratic bullshit and HALOOO isn't good, obviously, but it's a fairly reliable and regular event, and if it's getting to you then you need to find some way to relax and regroup.

Yeah, it's a thing. The bigger problem with it is being recorded. I would have just put up with it if they weren't recording me (from multiple angles, I dunno why they needed multiple videos)

On a hot, stressful day, we're all in here to take a test. Ughhh, I'm not here for your wechat. When people are just all "look a foreign guy! Hello!" I'm friendly about it.

There was a minor scandal in my school (luckily I was just standing there) where I happened to be in a locally viral tiktok video edit: Maybe bilibili, I don't remember. Someone was just recording me without me knowing, without them asking me. It was in a video about how a certain restaurant "treats foreigners better than Chinese people" (gently caress if I know, probably not) and for the footage they got a sneak video of me and my friend talking. You know, for the "look at foreigners existing here" thing. Luckily they did not catch what we were talking about, it was too muffled. Not that we were talking about anything sketchy, but because the idea of being secretly recorded and all of it being made public.

And so obviously I found out about it when I go to school and every student is freaking out about "We saw you! We saw you!" and that thought just made me incredibly uncomfortable. Even the other way around, it always pissed me off when other people take random pictures and videos of Chinese people not doing anything too crazy, just living their life. If someones doing something ridiculous, or you've gotten their permission, or they know you're recording them and are ok with it because you've asked ok sure. But the "I'm hiding in the bushes recording this person because they exist" thing is just not cool to me.

My students were very cool about it though and a few wrote these long comments about how rude it is lol.

Atopian posted:

Re: recent increase in anti-black racism in China, yeah, definitely something I've noticed.
An effective response to my students is: "I disagree, but much more important than that, why do you care? When was the last time you actually met or even saw a black person?"

That's been my approach too, it's "how many black people do you actually even know?" because, kid in central China, the answer is probably 0.

Mons Hubris posted:

I tried donkey thanks to this man and can confirm it is delightful

I've mentioned it before but the donkey sandwiches, I don't like them specifically because there's this gooey fat (?) in them. I'm not about that. But you just get slices of donkey meat and it is absolute top tier. Beats the equivalent beef by a lot.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I could never eat a donkey. I had a panic attack on an Italian mountain (school trip, bus driver got lost and I can’t handle being in a cramped, crowded space that long) and while I calmed down/caught my breath, a donkey came over and hung out with me from the opposite side of a fence.

I have been a friend of all donkeys ever since