Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Griz posted:

updated Pfizer/Moderna just got approved by FDA
CDC has their gatekeeping meeting tomorrow

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...tly-circulating

are they... just not doing novavax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

Is there any reasonable argument at all why everyone can get flu boosters yearly but the covid booster might get gatekept?

No. Plenty of unreasonable ones though!

edit: for those with small kids who were worried:

quote:

What You Need to Know

Individuals 5 years of age and older regardless of previous vaccination are eligible to receive a single dose of an updated mRNA COVID-19 vaccine at least 2 months since the last dose of any COVID-19 vaccine.
Individuals 6 months through 4 years of age who have previously been vaccinated against COVID-19 are eligible to receive one or two doses of an updated mRNA COVID-19 vaccine (timing and number of doses to administer depends on the previous COVID-19 vaccine received).
Unvaccinated individuals 6 months through 4 years of age are eligible to receive three doses of the updated authorized Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine or two doses of the updated authorized Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine.
The FDA is confident in the safety and effectiveness of these updated vaccines and the agency’s benefit-risk assessment demonstrates that the benefits of these vaccines for individuals 6 months of age and older outweigh their risks.
Individuals who receive an updated mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may experience similar side effects as those reported by individuals who previously received mRNA COVID-19 vaccines as described in the respective prescribing information or fact sheets.
The updated vaccines are expected to provide good protection against COVID-19 from the currently circulating variants. Barring the emergence of a markedly more virulent variant, the FDA anticipates that the composition of COVID-19 vaccines may need to be updated annually, as is done for the seasonal influenza vaccine.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices will meet tomorrow (Sept. 12), to discuss clinical recommendations on who should receive an updated vaccine, as well as further considerations for specific populations such as immunocompromised and older individuals.
Manufacturers have publicly announced that the updated vaccines would be ready this fall, and the FDA anticipates that the updated vaccines will be available in the near future.
“Vaccination remains critical to public health and continued protection against serious consequences of COVID-19, including hospitalization and death,” said Peter Marks, M.D., Ph.D., director of the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. “The public can be assured that these updated vaccines have met the agency’s rigorous scientific standards for safety, effectiveness, and manufacturing quality. We very much encourage those who are eligible to consider getting vaccinated.”

The updated mRNA vaccines are each approved for individuals 12 years of age and older and are authorized under emergency use for individuals 6 months through 11 years of age. As part of today’s actions, the bivalent Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines are no longer authorized for use in the United States.
lol my husband dodged a bullet.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Zugzwang posted:

Is there any reasonable argument at all why everyone can get flu boosters yearly but the covid booster might get gatekept?

because covid is jus

wait a second uh let me think

because mRNA technology is dangerous and unproven and just because we've allowed billions of doses to head out the door to date, we have to be VERY CAREFUL with it. bro.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

The real question you should be asking is how long will it be before flu shots are gatekept like in the UK

Baddog
May 12, 2001
well good news on the mrna boosters, hopefully tomorrow is rubber stamp and we can get them asap.

Was really hoping to get novavax, but if there isn't news here soon, think just going to grab the mrna for everyone. School is loving overflowing with virus.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I would really like to get that new poo poo in my arm asap

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

Wanting a COVID booster is antivax because if you trusted your original vaccination you wouldn't be asking about a booster. Discussing boosters is also antivax since it will stop people from getting the vaccine if they think they will need to get boosters

Griz
May 21, 2001

Insanite posted:

are they... just not doing novavax?

the article I read said FDA is still looking at it but didn't give an estimated time

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

COVID can't be over if people still need boosters

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Zugzwang posted:

Capitalism.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

bedpan posted:

Discussing boosters is also antivax since it will stop people from getting the vaccine if they think they will need to get boosters

i've heard this in the wild from a (outwardly) real person's mouth

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

DickParasite posted:

Nicotine feels amazing tho

:eng101: the (brief) cessation of the symptoms of nicotine addiction feels okay

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Since both my wife and I got got last week we should wait a couple months before getting revaxxed, right?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

Offit has made that argument at several FDA VRPAC meetings and is probably the closest to a valid reason. Paraphrasing, it's that there's no evidence that COVID boosters are likely to reduce community severe disease rates due to contemporary variants while there's a lot of evidence that flu shots do.

One part of their explanation is that the flu shot reduces severe disease by protecting the most vulnerable because it both protects against severe disease and also crucially reduces transmission probability. The latter will reduce community spread and help protect high-risk people for whom boosters are less effective. In contrast contemporary COVID variants are both so contagious and have so thoroughly evaded vaccine induced immunity that boosters likely don't significantly reduce transmission probability and so won't reduce community spread. The most vulnerable people in society are likely at equal risk of infection whether everyone gets the booster or not. They're essentially saying COVID evolved around vaccine-induced infection protection and everyone already has hybrid immunity so additional boosters don't provide additional public health benefit. It's similar to arguments that COVID boosters are not cost effective in healthy populations, which is likely true in terms of costs due to acute disease burden.

The other part of the explanation is that in healthy people there's little evidence that COVID boosters reduce community severe disease rates as most healthy people already have hybrid (T-cell!) immunity. In comparison there's a lot of evidence that properly selected flu shots do reduce severe disease rates even in healthy people because often the contemporary flu strain will be somewhat novel to at least a portion of the public. This is what Offit means when they say a "a miss is a mile" in flu shot strain selection.

To be clear I don't agree with these arguments but IMO this is the pro-gatekeeping rationale.

The Oldest Man posted:

The real question you should be asking is how long will it be before flu shots are gatekept like in the UK
Now you've jinxed it. THANKS.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I would really like to get that new poo poo in my arm asap

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Since both my wife and I got got last week we should wait a couple months before getting revaxxed, right?

Correct. No specific timeline, but I'd wait at least 2 or 3 months

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

2-3 months, yeah. Of course you can still get variants and who knows which cuisine will reign supreme by the time the holiday season rolls around, so!

Mask up and cross your fingers.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I tested negative this morning :unsmith:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Glumwheels posted:

I tested negative this morning :unsmith:

phew thank goodness. y'all have any lingering issues?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

seeing as how i got ~*natures vaccine*~ few weeks ago, how long do i need to wait till i can get the new juice? i don't recall

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Tzen posted:

seeing as how i got ~*natures vaccine*~ few weeks ago, how long do i need to wait till i can get the new juice? i don't recall

Oracle posted:

2-3 months, yeah. Of course you can still get variants and who knows which cuisine will reign supreme by the time the holiday season rolls around, so!

Mask up and cross your fingers.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Correct. No specific timeline, but I'd wait at least 2 or 3 months

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

that sounds about right, gently caress

and thanks
i should have read the last few posts

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
no read

only post

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
q: i know from friends that it is possible to order real / valid antigen tests for like 25 cents a pop *in* china. does anyone know what the cheapest bulk antigen program purchases are that can made from the u.s.? looks like costco is no longer doing their flowflex boxes...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my MIL was lamenting that some school districts were "going remote" due to covid outbreaks but she couldn't quite grok that it's due to staffing shortages and not because they give a poo poo about kids.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
holy poo poo, https://www.test2treat.org/s/?language=en_US is a goldmine/godsend and should absolutely be in the OP

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

has anyone used https://www.test2treat.org for tests or for telehealth? I haven't heard of this site before and I'm not sure if it's legit or not

Petey posted:

holy poo poo, https://www.test2treat.org/s/?language=en_US is a goldmine/godsend and should absolutely be in the OP

so it's real then? gently caress yeah, a new functioning covid tests and treatment website just seemed too good to be true :hellyeah:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

afaict it's six flowflex tests available once (no repeats) and a one time use telehealth code with emed, so don't get too excited but I agree it belongs in the OP

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Petey posted:

q: i know from friends that it is possible to order real / valid antigen tests for like 25 cents a pop *in* china. does anyone know what the cheapest bulk antigen program purchases are that can made from the u.s.? looks like costco is no longer doing their flowflex boxes...

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/clinitest-rapid-covid-19-antigen-self-test/23312022 these are pretty cheap

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
I think the thread discussed this, but the N95s with the out-flow vent are safe/effective right?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bixington posted:

I think the thread discussed this, but the N95s with the out-flow vent are safe/effective right?

Yes, assuming you're talking about the 3M with the exhalation vent. Detailed write up was in the last thread iirc somewhere after here

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
How concerned should we be about a rash developing, about a week and a half into covid infection? I tried googling about this but came up with mostly not that helpful stuff. It's on her arms and knees. Is this just one of those "yeah that can happen" symptoms that doesn't make it onto every list?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bedpan posted:

Discussing boosters is also antivax since it will stop people from getting the vaccine if they think they will need to get boosters

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i've heard this in the wild from a (outwardly) real person's mouth

God drat that was a frustrating time on the forums, all those GBS and D&D assholes shouting that we were anti-vaxx for betraying the vaccine decorum.

Of course in retrospect it was obviously because they wanted to tear their masks off and get back to their treats

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

BusError posted:

How concerned should we be about a rash developing, about a week and a half into covid infection? I tried googling about this but came up with mostly not that helpful stuff. It's on her arms and knees. Is this just one of those "yeah that can happen" symptoms that doesn't make it onto every list?

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19positive/search/?q=rash&restrict_sr=1

Seems to be not uncommon. The lil virus that could.

Also early shingles activation is a thing COVID is blessing under 50s with. Still can't get SHINGRIX though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BusError posted:

Covid can cause a whole lot of different types of rashes: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/covid-rash-in-adults

Apparently it can also trigger a flare up of cold sores, shingles or chickenpox according to my quick 30 second google

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Oracle posted:

Yes, assuming you're talking about the 3M with the exhalation vent. Detailed write up was in the last thread iirc somewhere after here

Thank you so much!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

afaict it's six flowflex tests available once (no repeats) and a one time use telehealth code with emed, so don't get too excited but I agree it belongs in the OP

that might be true, but it is a legit umass/emed partnership and is a hell of a lot better than anything else out there!

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

https://twitter.com/stargirlheaven/status/1701320971980853604

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19positive/search/?q=rash&restrict_sr=1

Seems to be not uncommon. The lil virus that could.

Also early shingles activation is a thing COVID is blessing under 50s with. Still can't get SHINGRIX though.

ohh smart search, I always forget about that subreddit. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

U-DO Burger posted:

so it's real then? gently caress yeah, a new functioning covid tests and treatment website just seemed too good to be true :hellyeah:
just signed up for test2treat and got some free new tests coming my way :c00l: