Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

cat botherer posted:

only the wealthy had horses and wagons :ssh:

Oxen and carts then, same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

500excf type r posted:

Oxen and carts then, same thing

mostly went to the cake shop (couldnt afford bread)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i had a friend in high school that had an impossibly loud trunk rattler and the thing about that kind of car "audio system" is that you cannot really hear the music you just sort of feel the bass vibrating your whole being and it feels like trying to talk into a fan

at first I thought my son was in the basement playing Among Us because it was very similar to the bassline in that game.

I hope to god some douche is driving around bumping the Among Us score, though. that is the only thing I will accept.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

You can only use car parking for cars. The solution is to put everything in the back of trucks.

https://twitter.com/adamtranter/status/1407084599507927042

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

the real reason they assassinated Caesar was because he banned car traffic in Rome during the day

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sim posted:

You can only use car parking for cars. The solution is to put everything in the back of trucks.

https://twitter.com/adamtranter/status/1407084599507927042

I saw a little greenhouse in the bed of a normal sized pickup before. It's very cute, not sure if it's practical for anything tho

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

A MIRACLE posted:

also they should make more streets one shared lane for cars. instead of each direction getting their own lane. they might slow down more. people speed through my neighborhood constantly

the street I live on is actually like this and it’s pretty nice

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Stereotype posted:

the street I live on is actually like this and it’s pretty nice
every time they try this on the mainland it starts a national crisis

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
one of the oldest road side memorials in the united states is in ellington connecticut from 1812. A 10 year old boy fell off an ox cart and got run over by it and died. IIRC he had just picked up the fruits-turned-liquor his father had dropped off at the local distillery earlier in the year and was headed home, presumably drunk.

Kild in this place
Samuel Field Knight
by a cartwheal roling
over his head in the
10th year of his age.
Nov 8th 1812
But O the shaft of death
was flung And cut the
tender flower down.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

jesus loving christ

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Invalido posted:

Parking wherever rules, sure, especially if there's good infra so you can secure your bike. IMO the absolute best thing is when the car lanes are totally jammed and the bike lane is wide open and you can just fly by everyone at cruising speed, doesn't happen too often though and also requires good infra to do safely (also nice bike!)

when this happens drivers like to get really mad about bicylists going faster than they are and run them over

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Carthage must be destroyed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wolfy posted:

every time they try this on the mainland it starts a national crisis

what mainland. Oh who am I kidding, it could be any of them

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

horses are like big bikes that you can eat

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

when this happens drivers like to get really mad about bicylists going faster than they are and run them over

The drivers here swerve into the bike lane, which doesn't actually make them go any faster but inconveniences the cyclists.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

:perfect:

Ensign Expendable posted:

The drivers here swerve into the bike lane, which doesn't actually make them go any faster but inconveniences the cyclists.
someone did that once while I had my kid on the bike (after yelling at me for making them turn around in a one way street) and I kicked the car so hard it left a dent.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Sep 11, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I saw a little greenhouse in the bed of a normal sized pickup before. It's very cute, not sure if it's practical for anything tho

What does normal size mean? It could be either ridiculously overproportioned (as it's the custom today) or sized appropriately to be able to pick up large cargo. Not that it matters, because greenhouses without wheels are perfectly fine.

Anyway, I read today that in Denmark, there's no law saying you need a car to use street parking and similar. Which means that I and my annoying kind are fully justified in parking our cargo bikes in the car parking spaces. The local Copenhagen politicians responded that it was true, but they'd rather create better infrastructure than tell anyone about this and also where are the cars supposed to park then they're already angry at us please let them keep their parking.
And for scale, this is a follow-up on the story that cargo bikes now outnumber toddlers in Copenhagen.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

it's practical for enraging drivers who believe they're entitled to public space I guess :)

BonHair posted:

Anyway, I read today that in Denmark, there's no law saying you need a car to use street parking and similar. Which means that I and my annoying kind are fully justified in parking our cargo bikes in the car parking spaces. The local Copenhagen politicians responded that it was true, but they'd rather create better infrastructure than tell anyone about this and also where are the cars supposed to park then they're already angry at us please let them keep their parking.
And for scale, this is a follow-up on the story that cargo bikes now outnumber toddlers in Copenhagen.
My spouse and I do that (stick our 2 cargo bikes in one of the delivery zone spots or free parking spots).

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Sep 11, 2023

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

:perfect:

someone did that once while I had my kid on the bike (after yelling at me for making them turn around in a one way street) and I kicked the car so hard it left a dent.

Our courts already ruled that assault on a vehicle is a more serious crime than assault on a person lol

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Just one more lane bro

https://twitter.com/TorontoArchives/status/1701294755286544768

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

there should be a max allowable potential energy per vehicle. like a Miata is allowed to go 50 but a pickup can only go 20

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

there should be a max allowable potential energy per vehicle. like a Miata is allowed to go 50 but a pickup can only go 20

More like the the Miata can go 30 feet up the hill but the pickup can only go 10 feet up the hill, am I rite.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

withak posted:

More like the the Miata can go 30 feet up the hill but the pickup can only go 10 feet up the hill, am I rite.

hehe

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Goddamn, do drivers get pissed at you for making them follow the laws. I did this to a driver going the wrong way down a one-way in a bus lane, and she rolled down her window, cussed at me, and told me "I just made a mistake!" Yeah, no poo poo you made a mistake, and you made another mistake when you didn't immediately turn the gently caress around.

I was walking, though, so she would've needed to get up on the sidewalk to block me once I got out of the road.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Ham Equity posted:

Goddamn, do drivers get pissed at you for making them follow the laws. I did this to a driver going the wrong way down a one-way in a bus lane, and she rolled down her window, cussed at me, and told me "I just made a mistake!" Yeah, no poo poo you made a mistake, and you made another mistake when you didn't immediately turn the gently caress around.

I was walking, though, so she would've needed to get up on the sidewalk to block me once I got out of the road.

shoulda responded with 'your mom made a mistake'

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
yeah its fun when cars intentionally straddle the bike lane when the road is jammed so you can't fly by them. I just slow down and squeeze through anyway because I can do that, gently caress you

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Peanut President posted:

yeah its fun when cars intentionally straddle the bike lane when the road is jammed so you can't fly by them. I just slow down and squeeze through anyway because I can do that, gently caress you

Nobody doing this should have a passenger-side mirror afterwards.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
if you like biking around without having to worry about cars, you should go to burning man. black rock city is most cyclist friendly city i've ever been to.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stereotype posted:

if you like biking around without having to worry about cars, you should go to burning man. black rock city is most cyclist friendly city i've ever been to.

I prefer cities where the cycle paths are not quicksand.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Stereotype posted:

what the gently caress is burning man? black rock city? are you in a cult

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

I prefer cities where the cycle paths are not quicksand.

the whole first week was the coolest biking experience i've ever had. i could just hop on my bike and ride wherever. perfectly flat hard packed ground and no curbs, and there's so many bikes you just had to lock the tire to prevent someone tripping on LSD from riding off with it. the rain hosed everything up but that wasn't until friday evening.

it was awesome.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Stereotype posted:

sorry i don't play world of warcraft

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh O.K..

I prefer cities where the cycle paths are usable after rain.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Oh O.K..

I prefer cities where the cycle paths are usable after rain.

good thing it doesn't rain much.

we are doing a bunch of work to waterproof all our public shade structures which will ensure it never rains during the event again

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
just had a quebecquois dude riding the empire trail to NYC stop in the shop, he asked about all the flags and poo poo and the badges on cars or whatever and I said "oh it's 9/11" and he slaps his forehead and goes "OH NO I FORGOT!" lmao

which one of you etc

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
lmao get that burner poo poo outta here

Ham Equity posted:

I was walking home from work yesterday down the sidestreet where every single car does rolling stops at signs (I mean that's everywhere) and this hambeast in a rusty Corolla totally blew one of the signs, didn't even slow down. I put my arms up in a WTF gesture and she just laughed and said "I missed it!" I was like "you sure did," and held my tongue from what I really wanted to say.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

just had a quebecquois dude riding the empire trail to NYC stop in the shop, he asked about all the flags and poo poo and the badges on cars or whatever and I said "oh it's 9/11" and he slaps his forehead and goes "OH NO I FORGOT!" lmao

which one of you etc

lol do they really deck the place out in flags on 9/11? how ghoulish

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mr. Sharps posted:

lol do they really deck the place out in flags on 9/11? how ghoulish

the town does the street and we have a shitload of cops and cop adjacent people here in rural NY, it's the worst

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mister Speaker posted:

lmao get that burner poo poo outta here

no. it's who i am now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
How do the bikes get to Burning Man

Only registered members can see post attachments!