Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
This is an insane complaint, but I wish the bank was a little more aggressive with the mortgage. I was kind of hoping the perk would spur me to regularly search for creds and force me to slow down in the beginning a bit so was disappointed to find I could basically ignore it entirely until I had the dosh.

Nice house though, I'll get around to decorating at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Powershift posted:

Are there no sports leagues in space?

how did all the guys who can lob a grenade 300 feet end up as pirates?

Razor derby is the only real sport

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Someone should grav jump right into the MAST tower.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

victrix posted:

whoever worked on the ship builder and ship models and art put a lot lot lot of love into it

I feel this way about the weapon models. Each weapon type has such a distinctive design language. The regulator, lawgiver, and rattler, in particular, I really enjoy.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Velocity Raptor posted:

Not sure of your specific setup, but googling the issue, it seems people were encountering this if they had the game installed on an HDD, instead of an SSD. According to the minimum specs for the game, it requires an SSD, and apparently it means it.

An other common cause that I found online was people using XMP. Disabling it resolved their crashing issues.

Tried those two, unfortunately. Always been on an SSD, never had XMP on.

Velocity Raptor posted:

If neither of those apply to you, or you try them and are still getting crashes, you can dig into the Event Viewer (Win 11) (Win10) and see if you can find the error listed there to help you narrow down how to fix it.

It seems to say Application Hang the most if not all times:

code:
The program Starfield.exe version 1.7.23.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 60f8
 Start Time: 01d9e4f575d0585e
 Termination Time: 4
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starfield\Starfield.exe
 Report Id: 6ca5441a-8e18-4b1b-a20d-998e38c4a588
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 
 Hang type: Unknown
Someone seems to have said Underclocking works? I don't quite know how to do that but if someone tells me the values to plug into my computer I'm down to try it. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super, 64 GB RAM.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 11, 2023

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Are we supposed to believe that the core planets like Jemison are actually densely populated (but not implemented). Or is there any attempted explanation as to why homesteaders would set up 30 LY away in Murder Bandit Nebula, instead of just literally building a house on a habitable world in the faction patrolled core colonies.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

SHISHKABOB posted:

I saw a ping pong table in a hab on a moon with 0.11 gravity. At that point its more like you're playing catch.
You'd still have to hit the other side of the table, that'd be an interesting challenge combined with spin mattering more.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

Lpzie posted:

Someone should grav jump right into the MAST tower.

A second Galbank cruiser hit the Sanctum Universum!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mr. Pool posted:

Are we supposed to believe that the core planets like Jemison are actually densely populated (but not implemented). Or is there any attempted explanation as to why homesteaders would set up 30 LY away in Murder Bandit Nebula, instead of just literally building a house on a habitable world in the faction patrolled core colonies.

I mean, the UC is literally borrowing heavily from the fascist Federation from Starship Troopers. Knowing the history of what every fascist nation has done in the past and what the UC has absolutely done without publicly acknowledging their wrongdoing would you choose to work with people who would at best set up employment opportunities that subject you to crushing labor on places like Cydonia to maintain their own prosperity if you weren't rich or would you take off to deep space in the Murder Bandit Nebula and hope for better?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 11, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

toggle posted:

Does Bethesda take these criticisms onboard and try and fix them? Or do they just see sales numbers and think people are happy with the faults?

They re-released Skyrim 5 and 10 years after the original release with special edition, and then anniversary edition.

They kept all the same stuff people are complaining about in Starfield.

They did address some complaints about Fallout 4, but only through DLC.

Daztek posted:

I got the penthouse in new atlantis and it's silly/funny seeing the city from high up, like there's no roads or anything else that indicates civilization, just a random "city" in the middle of nowhere

Is there anything in the lore about the population of these systems, because it feels like i've killed more spacers, than there are people in New Atlantis.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 11, 2023

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

toggle posted:

Does Bethesda take these criticisms onboard and try and fix them? Or do they just see sales numbers and think people are happy with the faults?

I think Bethesda are exceptionally bad at addressing player feedback or making changes to their games. If they change or add anything, it will be in the form of an expansion pack or a re-release

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Meanwhile I’m at the point where the gun loot I’m picking up on a given run amounts to like 1200% of a basic merchant’s cash reserve. I’m buying and reselling poo poo just to be able to move good

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I have c-class reactors and the game still yells at me when I try to fit more than 5 of the same weapon on a ship (particle beams if it matters). What gives?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sushibandit posted:

I have c-class reactors and the game still yells at me when I try to fit more than 5 of the same weapon on a ship (particle beams if it matters). What gives?

You can only use 12 energy per item. most of the guns are 3 or 4 energy per gun.

If you want more, you have to use a different gun and assign it to the next slot.

You unfortunately cannot put the same gun in 2 slots as far as i'm aware.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mr. Pool posted:

This is me reading into the setting a bit but I don't think the population density of humanity is that high in the Starfield universe. The game takes place in 2330, people fled Earth in really short order between roughly 2150 and 2200, then there was a big war between the two powers that be and also Va'Ruun tried a little galaxy-wide purge at some point. LIST & other colonists struck me as orgs trying to find some place away from the relatively heavy-handed UC gov and the uncaring Freestar gov. Spacers likewise, very "gently caress you got mine" types staking out their own claims.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Archonex posted:

I mean, the UC is literally borrowing heavily from the fascist Federation from Starship Troopers. Knowing the history of what every fascist nation has done in the past and what the UC has absolutely done without publicly acknowledging their wrongdoing would you choose to work with people who would at best set up employment opportunities that subject you to crushing labor on places like Cydonia to maintain their own prosperity if you weren't rich or would you take off to deep space in the Murder Bandit Nebula and hope for better?

My point is that every planet in the game seems to be at about .01% population density . All these settlers with the means for a deep space expedition could have their own continent to themselves on Jemison. What do they get in the Murder Nebula that the government denies them at home? Like you said, there could be a lot of things, but I haven't seen the game make any of them explicit.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the UC government made settlements illegal outside existing cities. But then that could be an interesting plot point! the rabble demands access to the pure clean lands that the government holds in reserve, some are squatting there already, will you work for the gov and kick them out or will you defend them? fast travel here now to learn more, etc.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

When they talk about the Colony Wars the casualties are in the thousands. Big WTF moment for me.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Nancy posted:

This is me reading into the setting a bit but I don't think the population density of humanity is that high in the Starfield universe. The game takes place in 2330, people fled Earth in really short order between roughly 2150 and 2200, then there was a big war between the two powers that be and also Va'Ruun tried a little galaxy-wide purge at some point. LIST & other colonists struck me as orgs trying to find some place away from the relatively heavy-handed UC gov and the uncaring Freestar gov. Spacers likewise, very "gently caress you got mine" types staking out their own claims.

Thats how I see it too. I get that the UC is at the very least fascist adjacent, but all the game shows is "sucks to live in UC if you're poor". So that doesn't really include colonists since it takes $$ to be able to build a deep space settlement.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lpzie posted:

When they talk about the Colony Wars the casualties are in the thousands. Big WTF moment for me.

There's only like 5000 people in the galaxy apparently, so that's pretty drastic

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

You'd still have to hit the other side of the table, that'd be an interesting challenge combined with spin mattering more.

Oh right, I don't play ping pong much lol

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Lpzie posted:

Someone needs to corner Todd Howard and make him tell us the current populations of New Atlantis, Akila, and the GDP of both factions. If you wanna do new IP we're gonna need LORE and SPECIFICS

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mr. Pool posted:

Thats how I see it too. I get that the UC is at the very least fascist adjacent, but all the game shows is "sucks to live in UC if you're poor". So that doesn't really include colonists since it takes $$ to be able to build a deep space settlement.

Weirdly enough it may be very easy to build a settlement. Apparently constellation keeps all the blueprints for automated manufacturing in the watches they hand out pipboy style so data storage is apparently not a problem. The big problem would be traveling there, and given how few of the settlements have a ship parked at them that is independent they probably could just hire someone or get groups like LIST to handle it.

Of course this could explain why all the settlements are one to five building poo poo shows. Once the settlers get out there they've got no way back outside of a traveler showing up, possibly limited means to construct more buildings, even more limited means to grow their population, and no way to get help if poo poo goes wrong.

Not wise to dip into the economy any further than that though since it's blatantly hosed to examine closer. Guns are worth more than high end construction materials and even accounting for the near literally infinite amount of resources space provides you'd think that resources would be worth more. Ditto for thinking about how the population works. It was probably kept low for ease of design. Hopefully the mods will add in larger settlements and better balancing of currency to address this stuff.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 11, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Mantis quest is seriously cool, it's probably one of the highlights of the game so far for me (level 11 so far). I could swear the cave music had some stings that reminded me of the Batman themes.

And naturally when I go to the mannequin and take the Mantis armor, Sarah immediately tells me to stop hauling all that junk around.... drat it woman, as soon as I get another companion, you're goin' back to the Lodge

I'm still struggling a bit with the whole ship upgrading thing - do I need to go to a certain planet to get certain modules to appear on the upgrade list? Is there a good option for a module that would include the research/crafting stations?

My ship's cargo hold is getting filled with all kinds of "can be used for crafting" doohickeys. Is it safe to sell them and then just look for one if/when I need it?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Daztek posted:

I got the penthouse in new atlantis and it's silly/funny seeing the city from high up, like there's no roads or anything else that indicates civilization, just a random "city" in the middle of nowhere

They finally made a 15 minute, walkable city!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TeaJay posted:

The Mantis quest is seriously cool, it's probably one of the highlights of the game so far for me (level 11 so far).

And naturally when I go to the mannequin and take the Mantis armor, Sarah immediately tells me to stop hauling all that junk around.... drat it woman, as soon as I get another companion, you're goin' back to the Lodge

I'm still struggling a bit with the whole ship upgrading thing - do I need to go to a certain planet to get certain modules to appear on the upgrade list? Is there a good option for a module that would include the research/crafting stations?

My ship's cargo hold is getting filled with all kinds of "can be used for crafting" doohickeys. Is it safe to sell them and then just look for one if/when I need it?

The bad news is all your companions will tell you the same thing.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Azhais posted:

There's only like 5000 people in the galaxy apparently, so that's pretty drastic

makes the player a huge monster when they kill 1000+ spacers each playthrough

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mr. Pool posted:

Someone needs to corner Todd Howard and make him tell us the current populations of New Atlantis, Akila, and the GDP of both factions. If you wanna do new IP we're gonna need LORE and SPECIFICS

No joke I am very interested. I think it's entirely plausible the population we see in-game is the entire population & not a fractional representation like Skyrim.

In-game we see very sophisticated heavy industry tech and a huge reliance on autonomous workforces. UC space especially is rife with completely automated factories and hydroponics labs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daztek posted:

everyone fast travels everywhere, idiot, duh, god

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Archonex posted:

Weirdly enough it may be very easy to build a settlement. Apparently constellation keeps all the blueprints for automated manufacturing in the watches they hand out pipboy style so data storage is apparently not a problem. The big problem would be traveling there, and given how few of the settlements have a ship parked at them that is independent they probably could just hire someone or get groups like LIST to handle it. Of course this could explain why all the settlements are one to five building podunk throwbacks. Once the settlers get out there they've got no way back outside of a traveler showing up and no way to get help if poo poo goes wrong.

Not wise to dip into the economy any further than that though since it's blatantly hosed to examine closer. Guns are worth more than high end construction materials and even accounting for the near literally infinite amount of resources you'd think that resources would be worth more. Ditto for thinking about it. Hopefully the mods will add in larger settlements and better balancing of currency to address this stuff.

But it can't be *too* easy or no one would stay an oppressed miner on Cydonia or a scrap polisher in the Well. And it still doesn't answer "why go so far away when 99% of every planet is empty". If there isn't anything new in the layout of the galaxy on NG+ I'll probably just go back to Starsector , all the mods should be updated for the current version by now...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Azhais posted:

According to my stats, i've killed 1296 people so far, so I'm basically killing off the human race.

Also, 5,000 people, we can build an unlimited amount of big gently caress-off spaceships, and there are still slums on every planet. Nice species, good job.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Has anyone seen a bug where you no longer need your space suit?

I noticed my character wasn't putting on their helmet when in hazardous environments, and the issue seems to be that I no longer suffer elemental damage? I don't think this is related to any mods, but it does seem to persist after restarting. A shame, I didn't notice it until I'd started a big Sid quest and I really don't want to reload.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Powershift posted:

Also, 5,000 people, we can build an unlimited amount of big gently caress-off spaceships, and there are still slums on every planet. Nice species, good job.

have you met the human race??

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

makes the player a huge monster when they kill 1000+ spacers each playthrough

maybe this is an eloi/morlocks type deal. Inside the Settled Colonies: 5000 people. Periphery of the settled colonies: 500M spacers, Varuun zealots, and pirates

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mr. Pool posted:

But it can't be *too* easy or no one would stay an oppressed miner on Cydonia or a scrap polisher in the Well. And it still doesn't answer "why go so far away when 99% of every planet is empty". If there isn't anything new in the layout of the galaxy on NG+ I'll probably just go back to Starsector , all the mods should be updated for the current version by now...

If you've seen places like Strix you'd get why not everyone wants to go live five people deep in a shack on a planet at the rear end end of known space.

A good quarter of the habitable planets that also have enough resources to build a settlement on them either have apex predators that can tank a magazine's worth of assault rifle fire, are radioactive freezing nightmares, don't have the right magnetosphere for human habitation long term, possibly literally have heavy metal water or something awful like that, or are just generally deeply unpleasant to spend time in.

If you've ever seen the civilian colonists at a civilian outpost encounter the hostile wild life you also get a sense of this. They freak the gently caress out and start screaming at the top of their lungs for help, even if it's a giant slug the size of their foot that can move at maybe .00001 mph and be walked ahead of. No, they don't have weaponry. In the event that it's some place like Strix in one of the hosed up swarm predator biomes they just get eaten alive before you can get to them to save them.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 11, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Mr. Pool posted:

maybe this is an eloi/morlocks type deal. Inside the Settled Colonies: 5000 people. Periphery of the settled colonies: 500M spacers, Varuun zealots, and pirates

no one wants to work anymore 😞

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Powershift posted:

Some of the things Marika says suggest she was supposed to be a deeper character.

She is always asking if you want to talk, but beyond the same 3 questions as everyone else, there's no interaction.

The one you can pick up in Euphorika straight up says she's going to be investigating forbidden mech technology on your ship which you know was supposed to be a quest chain

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Daztek posted:

Londinion was the actual city, new atlantis was an epcot style theme park they relocated all the government officials to

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

Archonex posted:

If you've seen places like Strix you'd get why not everyone wants to go live five people deep in a shack on a planet at the rear end end of known space.

A good quarter of the habitable planets that also have enough resources to build a settlement on them either have apex predators that can tank a clip of assault rifle fire, are radioactive freezing nightmares, don't have the right magnetosphere for human habitation long term, possibly literally have heavy metal water or something awful like that, or are just generally deeply unpleasant to spend time in.

If you've ever seen the civilian colonists at a civilian outpost encounter the hostile wild life you also get a sense of this. They freak the gently caress out and start screaming at the top of their lungs for help, even if it's a giant slug the size of their foot that can move at maybe .00001 mph and be walked ahead of. No, they don't have weaponry. In the event that it's some place like Strix in one of the hosed up swarm predator biomes they just get eaten alive before you can get to them to save them.

I appreciate you considering these things so critically, you're putting to words a lot of the intuitive feelings I get about the world. I think this game has pretty good incidental worldbuilding, for lack of a better term.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Nancy posted:

There's a soccer goal in HopeTown.

Does the Red Mile count as a sport?

if the kumate is a sport so is the red mile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Imagine my disappointment when I see a starborn ship just chilling in the distance when I'm at my one pathetic outpost, run over to steal it but it's inaccessible. There were a few starborn that had walked off in the distance and I trailed them for a bit to see if they were doing anything cool. They were not.

What do you have to do to assign people to your outposts? I want to banish a couple people I don't like to one.