Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The R in HARM stands for Retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
eh even well before the war you'd see hella potbellied russian officers, especially as you got above like major in rank you'd see a bunch of guys who were just fat. hell even a bunch of their combat aviation pilots are notably pretty damned fat

tldr, idk I wouldn't read into that too much

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Herstory Begins Now posted:

eh even well before the war you'd see hella potbellied russian officers, especially as you got above like major in rank you'd see a bunch of guys who were just fat. hell even a bunch of their combat aviation pilots are notably pretty damned fat

tldr, idk I wouldn't read into that too much

I wonder how many were commercial pilots with previous military experience.

AllenFarnsworthIV
Apr 12, 2021

He’s not even that bad compared to some of the people I seen when the U.S military was doing stop loss back in 07-08. I seen guys that was double that size in active duty combat units, who couldn’t pass a fitness test during year of train up before deployment.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
pic is from 2017, so probably not many. bigger issue wrt russian aviation over the last 20 years is that the amount of flight hours is limited relative to total number of pilots and thus tends to concentrate (apparently) in a number of more experienced pilots so you have a handful of guys who simply have 20x more hours than anyone else who become indispensable because of it.

If anything the war in Ukraine has almost definitely shaken up that status quo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Had a coworkers who older brother got recalled as a truck driver in the opening desert storm days. He literally had grandchildren older than some of his coworkers. Took some amazing photos of the up armored trucks they used that would make Mad Max or 40k Ork Warboss sing it’s praise.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I hear the old and the fat; when you need boots filled, you fill some boots

But both that old and that fat at the same time? Really?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Could be some older variants that were flagged with status flag "under upgrade" that on verification were found to be in boxes ready for shipping or some poo poo like that?

I was thinking this, or the listed items were marked for disposal a few years back but not decommissioned yet

This is where the cyborg legend was started...talk about AFU hallowed ground from the pre-2022 invasion days. Sure the battles were nothing compared to Bakmut now but I bet it'll be a morale boost to retake and finally hold it for good.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1701326869855871069

quote:

In a video published by Ukrainian GUR about raids on the Boyko Towers sea rig near Crimea, they showed a battle between 3 Ukrainian small boats and a Russian jet. Crew on boats managed to hit the jet and force it to flee.

This war is wild.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

holy poo poo

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

drat, MANPADS from a little rhib? Gotta be some serious pucker factor among the other dudes on the boat trying to stay the gently caress out of the backblast while they're tossing around on the sea doing evasive maneuvers.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dick Ripple posted:

I can see old timers who were previously active duty in said unit(s) getting on board the support mother Russia train. I doubt Russian recruiters are going to deny someone with experience like that, even if the do not meet physical standards. I believe Russia also has a similar system as the US ready reserve, (previous active/guard who can still pass basic physical/psychological requirements getting mobilized in times of war).

The US called up the ready reserve in 2003-2004, and there were 50+ year old previous active duty personnel being put into combat units.

Including one in late 2005 who came to TMC Beuhring in Kuwait with a baggie looking for a refrigerator where we could store his insulin for him until his unit went into Iraq in two weeks.

That was the most mad I ever saw the clinic CO.

Edit: also one of the few times I ever saw him actually accomplish anything.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 11, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The tweet buries the lede. Makes it sound like they hit it with small arms rather than a MANPAD.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

The tweet buries the lede. Makes it sound like they hit it with small arms rather than a MANPAD.

Yeah I thought my years of winging .50 off in the general direction of an enemy jet in Battlefield were about to be vindicated.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Depending on the quality of these rhibs.... isnt there also a concern the backblast may just straight gently caress up the boat?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gaj posted:

Depending on the quality of these rhibs.... isnt there also a concern the backblast may just straight gently caress up the boat?

just fire it from the back, gives you propulsion too

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gaj posted:

Won't gently caress the boat up any harder than the jet trying to line up a strike on you. Backblast or no, that guy didn't pay for his drinks the next time they were at the watering hole.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

mlmp08 posted:

The R in HARM stands for Retail.

If you can think of a better solution for Arby's, I am all ears

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jesus gently caress! :stare:

The real question is whether that pilot is still alive or was shame-beat to death.
"I thought RHIBs would be easy targets! :cry:"

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
They stole the strategy I use in Battlefield. :blastu:

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Just taking the Whaler out with the boys, having some beers, shooting some guns, and man you shoulda seen the size of the one we hooked!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Next Ace Combat is gonna have a weird mission

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I really hope they rename one of those platforms outer haven.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Now i wanna see an Igla shot off the back of a jetski

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

That Works posted:

honestly that's probably ideal

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

That Works posted:

where are belarusian special forces when you need them

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That Works posted:

Watch out the heatseeker is gonna circle back around and harm ya

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'd say Call of Duty is a documentary but I'm not sure they covered this scenario in one of their many oil platform missions

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That dude popping 5.56 at the jet is THE god drat optimist I want on my team.

I will hate him with every fiber, but that's a dude I want.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a couple magazines' worth of tickets!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Flavahbeast posted:

I never watch those videos because of the dumb preview thumbnails, but in that case he might not be wrong - they paint the white cross on knocked out/captured tanks for the same reason they paint it on their own tanks, so they know not to shoot it

Ah, good catch.

About the fat Russian pilots, that's actually an old tradition. Those aren't fighter pilots, they're interceptor pilots. very different job description, very different physical requirements (none). Paper Skies has a video that covers this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEf16SVwV44

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Suicide Watch posted:

I was thinking this, or the listed items were marked for disposal a few years back but not decommissioned yet

This is where the cyborg legend was started...talk about AFU hallowed ground from the pre-2022 invasion days. Sure the battles were nothing compared to Bakmut now but I bet it'll be a morale boost to retake and finally hold it for good.

Yeah it was where a lot of things began.

Also that is right on the outskirts of Donetsk City, which is itself kinda huge.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm gonna just call it a teaching moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWYqu1Il9Ps

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
A real life action so unrealistic that the Arma 3 devs decided it couldn't possibly work, so when your RHIB gets caught by a jet in the base game campaign even vigorously hosing it with a minigun doesn't save you.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

The video shows a MANPADS fired...

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Sure, but in a RHIB vs. fighter jet fight, my money is still on the jet.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

An SU-30 is primarily an interceptor, though? Does it even carry ordinance that can easily hit a boat that small?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

An SU-30 is primarily an interceptor, though? Does it even carry ordinance that can easily hit a boat that small?

It depends which Su-30, because Flanker variants are bewildering.

Irkutsk aircraft plant took baseline Su-27UB, two-seat training variant of the basic Flanker interceptor, added some doodads and technology from abortive Su-37 project and bingo, you have Su-30MKI for India with Israeli and French avionics. So Russians took the Su-30MKI, replaced foreign avionics with their home built stuff, and presto, Su-30SM. They are mostly used as interceptors, have canards, thrust vectoring, and both Russian Air Force and Russian Navy operate them from Crimea.

Komsomolsk-na-Amur plant took basic Su-30, added chinese avionics and sold them to China as Su-30MKK, also to Venezuela, Vietnam and others. So then Russians again removed foreign avionics, replaced it with their own and built those as Su-30M2. Those are mostly fighter-bombers similar in concept to Strike Eagles. No canards or TVC. Only used by RuAF.

I should really get to making Flanker variant guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Even if it isn't carrying any guided air-to-ground stuff, cannon and rocket pods could turn those things to body bags in pretty short order.