Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pillowpants posted:

So the legacy companies want to do deals? Don’t they also run most of the Streaming Services too?

max, paramount plus, peacock, Hulu, Disney…

So they’re really saying that Apple, Amazon and Netflix are being dicks?
I think the schism here is that they own traditional TV networks and those are going to suffer much more from the lack of content than the companies that don’t own any traditional TV networks

Those networks rely on ad revenue and advertisers are not going to pay as much for reruns of shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Which is funny because the streamers are trying to get into the ad revenue game. Hard to sell advertisers on the 40 million eyes Stranger Things will deliver if you can't make more Stranger Things.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

muscles like this! posted:

https://twitter.com/slack2thefuture/status/1701110118870659085
A Twitter thread about what exactly is going on in regards to Drew Barrymore's talk show and the plans to bring it back. Basically she isn't violating SAG-AFTRA strike rules since talk shows are under a different agreement which is currently valid (as long as she doesn't promote struck work) but it does fall under WGA's strike and so having the show at all means that someone is doing work that should be done by a WGA writer.

Talk about loving up the PR of the moment - kicking out audience members on your first day back while trying to pinky promise you aren't a scab? Way to go Drew!
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/drew-barrymore-show-audience-kicked-out-1235587064/

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Genuinely shocked Drew Barrymore would do this. But I don’t think it will impact her. She knows way too many important people and she’s too connected for this to impact her. That’s probably why she doesn’t give a poo poo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I thought some of the talk shows went on during the previous writer’s strike, albeit without writers. I recall the hosts doing a lot of improvisation. Is there a reason why talk shows are downing tools this time?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vegetable posted:

I thought some of the talk shows went on during the previous writer’s strike, albeit without writers. I recall the hosts doing a lot of improvisation. Is there a reason why talk shows are downing tools this time?

Well, with the SAG-AFTRA strike, who’s going to show up for A Late Show? Politicians?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Letterman and Craig Ferguson kept going because their shows were produced directly by Letterman's production company and he agreed to the WGA's terms. Leno, Conan, Colbert and Stewart went on without writers and improv'ed. There was some pushback accusing the networks of forcing the latter group to go back on the air by threatening the jobs of the other crew and staff.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 11, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vegetable posted:

My understanding is that previous writers strike the wording around talk shows was vague but the rules about it have been subsequently tightened. Which is why everyone stopped when the strike happened.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

https://twitter.com/slack2thefuture/status/1701110118870659085
A Twitter thread about what exactly is going on in regards to Drew Barrymore's talk show and the plans to bring it back. Basically she isn't violating SAG-AFTRA strike rules since talk shows are under a different agreement which is currently valid (as long as she doesn't promote struck work) but it does fall under WGA's strike and so having the show at all means that someone is doing work that should be done by a WGA writer.

So she's a scab, even if she's doing it to save her crews jobs/pay them?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Crackbone posted:

So she's a scab, even if she's doing it to save her crews jobs/pay them?

If anyone is writing any material for her show, they're scabbing. As the thread notes, she probably doesn't care (it's WGA scabbing, not SAG-AFTRA scabbing, and she's not a member of the WGA and likely won't try to be) but anyone else who writes anything may not be in the same position as she is. And yeah that's anything, like writing an intro for someone.

I suppose if she can prove that they aren't writing *anything* and are just doing it without any writing whatsoever, it won't matter. And also, likely, this is the kind of thing that is frowned upon while a strike is happening but it would probably be hard to enforce once the strike is done and someone who wrote an intro blurb theoretically tries to join - but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gaz-L posted:

Letterman and Craig Ferguson kept going because their shows were produced directly by Letterman's production company and he agreed to the WGA's terms. Leno, Conan, Colbert and Stewart went on without writers and improv'ed. There was some pushback accusing the networks of forcing the latter group to go back on the air by threatening the jobs of the other crew and staff.
Yes the networks absolutely threatened to furlough and fire the crews and staff of the talk shows if they did not do the improv shows. It made for surreal tv.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1653188776267595783

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One other thing was that John Oliver, who was still on TDS at the time, was here on a work visa and so would actually be deported if he went on strike. So that put him in a rough position.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Maxwell Lord posted:

One other thing was that John Oliver, who was still on TDS at the time, was here on a work visa and so would actually be deported if he went on strike. So that put him in a rough position.

This led to good bits iirc.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
The Talk and Jennifer Hudson Show set to resume during the dual strikes.

I guess they figured if Drew Barrymore could do it, they could, too.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

My understanding is that previous writers strike the wording around talk shows was vague but the rules about it have been subsequently tightened. Which is why everyone stopped when the strike happened.

https://twitter.com/vanthebrand/status/1701348807571845628?s=46

This tweet tries to understand it and yeah, it sounds like the loophole that allowed it to go on back in 07 no longer exists

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There are few things better than the absolute open contempt Stewart and Conan showed during the strike.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

SilentChaz posted:

The Talk and Jennifer Hudson Show set to resume during the dual strikes.

I guess they figured if Drew Barrymore could do it, they could, too.

While Jennifer isn’t WGA, Talk is, and it’s also CBS. With this + Drew it really sounds like an ultimatum from up top (still shouldn’t do it though)

They probably especially want Talk so they can air the reruns late night because until then, all they have is this:

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1701366337300541946?s=46

10 Year old (at best) dated comedy reruns of a syndicated show no one knows about or has seen

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Pillowpants posted:

So the legacy companies want to do deals? Don’t they also run most of the Streaming Services too?

max, paramount plus, peacock, Hulu, Disney…

So they’re really saying that Apple, Amazon and Netflix are being dicks?

Netflix loving sucks everyone hates working with netflix. The cheapest dirtiest streamer which like every writer has a horror story for. They blow on the production side of things do, absolutely spend the bare min in terms of anything.

However, they have the Canadian industry in a vice grip which sucks.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

cartoons123 posted:

While Jennifer isn’t WGA, Talk is, and it’s also CBS. With this + Drew it really sounds like an ultimatum from up top (still shouldn’t do it though)

They probably especially want Talk so they can air the reruns late night because until then, all they have is this:

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1701366337300541946?s=46

10 Year old (at best) dated comedy reruns of a syndicated show no one knows about or has seen

Byron’s production company, Entertainment Studios, is pretty much entirely non-union. Comics Unleashed might be SAG-AFTRA but I don’t think any writers on any of his shows are WGA. I’m not even sure if the production crew are union.

But that’s understandable. Byron’s just an independent producer! There’s no way his company could possibly afford to pay union wages—

Media Mogul Byron Allen Reportedly Buys Malibu Estate for a Record $100M

— oh.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/nationalbook/status/1701718719745978601?s=20

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

:nice:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Fox boss states the strike has to be settled by 10/1 to save the broadcast season.

As some one who remembers losing the '94 world series, burn motherfucker burn!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Fox boss states the strike has to be settled by 10/1 to save the broadcast season.

Is the plan still "Starve em out and they'll vote for anything"?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I guess there's no broadcast season then.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1701978477447217233

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kinda icky but not outrageous when you think about it I guess. I wouldn’t be surprised if an actor’s metadata ends up becoming personal AI fodder for a disgruntled VFX person. There are serious ethical and security issues with storing biometric data and there’s a reason big tech companies are so gingerly about it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I badly want new content but I'm perfectly happy to go without in order to support these strikes; gently caress the studios. I'll make do with burning through my backlog

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

fart blood posted:

I guess there's no broadcast season then.

I was on an animated show when the strike was called. There will be new episodes this fall since we finished them months ago, but we've already lost episodes for 2024.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

How many dumb ideas are there of which Sean Penn is convinced? Is it a countable or uncountable infinity?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

...! posted:

I badly want new content but I'm perfectly happy to go without in order to support these strikes; gently caress the studios. I'll make do with burning through my backlog

Yeah more than happy to start tracking down old stuff I've wanted to check out like northern exposure or wings.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Argyle posted:

I was on an animated show when the strike was called. There will be new episodes this fall since we finished them months ago, but we've already lost episodes for 2024.

On my side of things (working at a company that does translations/subtitling for features), we've already had numerous project delays to the point that I keep looking at my schedule and after a few more weeks... there's just nothing.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

For once, Sean Penn is not being a creep but making a perfectly valid point. Remember what the Beyond Two Souls devs did with Elliot Page's body scans

https://www.businessinsider.com/ellen-page-explored-legal-action-against-sony-over-nude-video-game-images-2015-4

Note: this is from back in 2015, before Page transitioned

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Happy Landfill posted:

For once, Sean Penn is not being a creep but making a perfectly valid point. Remember what the Beyond Two Souls devs did with Elliot Page's body scans

https://www.businessinsider.com/ellen-page-explored-legal-action-against-sony-over-nude-video-game-images-2015-4

Note: this is from back in 2015, before Page transitioned

That is loving reprehensible.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

...! posted:

Honestly, I could see this bringing some innovation/rethinking of cable and streaming too if they don't make the broadcast season too.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mooseontheloose posted:

Honestly, I could see this bringing some innovation/rethinking of cable and streaming too if they don't make the broadcast season too.

Charter just made a deal with Disney where cable subscribers get Disney+ and ESPN+ with some packages, so we’re getting there.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
David Cage, head of Quantic Dream, and his ouvre are profoundly grim and creepy. It was absolutely no surprise when the story broke about the misuse of the Page scans because anyone who had paid attention to how his games treat women, sex, and assault knew what he was. He's exactly what you would think of when imaging a producer misusing the rights to an actor's likeness with modern tech.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
“ I guess I'm somewhat optimistic that they will have a deal in October because if it goes much further than that, these studios will just write off the rest of the year and say, see you in January. And then we'll really start to get into a world of hurt because there have already been layoffs, furloughs. The economies of Los Angeles and New York are taking massive hits. The hope is that we can get something done before mid-October. If not - disaster.”

Link: https://www.npr.org/2023/09/10/1198675583/differences-within-members-of-striking-groups-are-complicating-the-hollywood-str

That does not sound encouraging. :(

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

fart blood posted:

“ I guess I'm somewhat optimistic that they will have a deal in October because if it goes much further than that, these studios will just write off the rest of the year and say, see you in January. And then we'll really start to get into a world of hurt because there have already been layoffs, furloughs. The economies of Los Angeles and New York are taking massive hits. The hope is that we can get something done before mid-October. If not - disaster.”

Link: https://www.npr.org/2023/09/10/1198675583/differences-within-members-of-striking-groups-are-complicating-the-hollywood-str

That does not sound encouraging. :(
I mean they did leak those comments about this at least going through the end of the year....so it wouldn't be a massive surprise. I know some of that is just gamesmanship, but if the studios think they can outlast the writers and actors this will drag on for some time.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah more than happy to start tracking down old stuff I've wanted to check out like northern exposure or wings.

I remember Northern Exposure being delightful. Wings was pretty standard sitcom I think. I have not watched either since they were originally aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sure seems like a lot more of these shows are willing to be picketed

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1702114990088675394?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA