Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain McAllister posted:

This was just posted in a dump on Imgur. It reminded me of your decals and I posted an Etsy link in the comments, so if you suddenly get an explosion in traffic or orders, that's why...

On a side note, can you do repro plates?
Edit: apparently they're already a thing.

The :smug: expression on her face always cracks me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I've seen that one before, the ebay ones popped up only a few years back - I was thinking about stickerizing them but that skull is a bit death headish...

for plates I love these guys:

https://celebritymachines.com/collections/products

Years ago a friend of mine introduced me to these guys that are pulling some real nerd cards, the quality is also amazing. They used to run a black Friday sale that was totally insane, I have about 10-12 plates that I have yet to hang in the garage.

some of my collection:
the plate on the Kennedy killshot car
smokey and the bandit
blues mobile
A-team van
Porkchop express
all the back to the future plates
thx 138

and the one that is my absolute favorite

https://celebritymachines.com/products/fckit

just now in scrolling they have quite a few new ones that they didn't offer back in the day... if they do the sale again, its ON and POPPIN

In other news...

I've been lusting over this zippo on ebay for a long time now...

I mean, I get it - but I don't care $3500 worth, so last night I had an "ah hah!" moment when I realized that I have a replica 1935 zippo lighter and a small stash of vintage buick glass enamel emblems that I scored years ago from a company that made promotional items from the 20s-70s - at one point I had about 200 of these little emblems - at the time I had listed them on ebay and on the various facebook groups and was doing a pretty good job selling them - at one point someone offered to buy my entire stock, so I let them go. I had a feeling there were more of them kicking around the place I had got them from, so I searched my emails and found them - long story short, company had traded hands and they found a huge stock of these left, lets just say I'll be listing them again.

but I had held back 3-4 pretty choice ones - so the whole ordering thing happened last week and I'm still waiting on my package to arrive, and part of that ah-hah! moment was that I had some kicking around, and this worn in 1935 zippor replica kicking around..

I've heard of people using epoxy to secure things to zippos, but I wanted to try soldering, so at first I tried my vintage weller, and didn't quite work so I got out the map gas torch can - way overkill but I was pretty dainty with it

I'm not huge on the big gap on one side, and I know I can fix it, but the torch I have is way overkill, I may have to get a little crack burner torch to fix it up, and I was way over excited to see the result, and excited that I just saved myself 3500 bucks on obtaining a dream zippo - I know a lot of people use epoxy to fix stuff to zippos these days, but I've had a few and they just dont last - this thing is really on there, and even with that gap, no matter how hard I handle it I cant get it to move, I pushed on it so hard I thought I felt the glass enamel starting to give so I know its strong, but I know that solder does tend to weaken with time... right? - I want to see how it holds up in my pocket for a few weeks with keys, knife and other jingly jangly stuff I have in my pockets.

It's been super hot, hot enought to make the radiatior on this sucker boil over for the first time ever - these typically never run hot, but when its over 100, anything runs hot. Conversely, me and my FIL went up on the roof to see about my leaky roof before the rainy season comes and couldn't help but take this cool shot

today me and a friend played hookey from work and took our boys to the train park

which is what my grandpa did with me on those hot summer days - me and my buddy were kinda "on a sick one" about how we just want our kids to grow up the same way we did without indoctornating too hard - i think we're doing ok at it..

speaking of old times, this came up in my memories and really hurt -

old time goons may remember PaulBoz from way back when - early on we'd meet up and just have a ball of a time, he wanted to see my cars, go everywhere he could in la and was such a great guy, great friend and got along with my friends like he was one of the gang - Universally loved, Paul had some really devastating life events befall him and sadly he decided to take his life a few years back.

Internet, and specifically this forum has always been an escape for me, but I've had some very human experiences from it, and he was one of the best.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I used to talk with Paul a lot, when a lot was starting to pile up on him. He was a wonderful person whom I won't forget. May he rest in peace, finally.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

DJ Commie posted:

I used to talk with Paul a lot, when a lot was starting to pile up on him. He was a wonderful person whom I won't forget. May he rest in peace, finally.

Same here. He is definitely missed.

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

I saw this on ig and I thought ‘hey, that looks like lobsterboyx’s car… oh whattt’

I didn’t see it when I went through the unread posts quickly, and I don’t know how if you can/or how to insert

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwLZuAyMsH_/?igshid=NzZhOTFlYzFmZQ==

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:perfect:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hell yeah, it looks and sounds great!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Prop cigarette?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Hah! well thats funny that it got around...

Back story:

There are a group of 3 or 4 young kids (18-20) that hang around with us "olds" and cruise with us. They are pretty cool cats and they all rock old cars - that video was taken on a friday night during one of our cruises, they had 200 followers, Sunday comes and it was the notorious Hurriquake here in LA and I posted a silly video of me and my family "holding on for dear life" during the torrential downpour and vicious 6mph winds - I had left my phone at home and me and LobsterkidX went to go look at the river and splash around in the rain.

When I got back I and checked my phone I saw that I had gained something like 2-300 followers and that video had something like 2m views and the kids account had like 15k followers.

quite a lesson in viral video stardom. Reading the comments on that video are pretty funny too, and a few times in the past few weeks while driving the car I've been stopped and said "i saw this car on instagram" - The kids didn't let it go to their heads and they're making a run at being more influencer-y. good for them!

in other news...

the enamel didn't hold up so well in the first fillup period - I have a feeling its because the emblem didn't sit flat on the lighter allowing it to flex and crack out the enamel - I'm going to try it again, but I have to get my hands on a better mini torch.

this weekend was so drat hot, it was really hard to get anywhere, but that didn't stop us from going to the Peterson for an all wagon show

It was a pretty fun show dedicated to wagons only and I guess they travel around with it - there were a few hundred wagons there, but I was one of 3 wagons from the 50s - so... eh...

I think I got the vapor lock issues fixed because the car made it there, fully loaded with me, wife, kid and a big cooler in 100+ degree weather. It stumbled a bit, but never fully vapor locked, only time will tell now.

if the car looks good its because I washed it - and I got down the rabbit hole on car cleaning stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076GDSRTV?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

plus

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...B071RKWXKV&th=1

plus

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...B086HKHWZ4&th=1

made really quick work of things and was rather fun

later that evening we decided to go to union station for the "rail days" thing they try to do every year.

this was the payoff - we waited around for hours to see this thing move and in the end it had to get towed out sadly, still pretty incredible to see these big breathing beasts up close. As we were leaving and walking out thru the historic union station tunnels we head its horn which sent chills down my spine - just thinking about hearing that noise echoing in those tunnels - a sound that is rarely heard for the last 60 years.

I've been gaining a bit of "steam" on my etsy stuff -

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DanoramaCity

I am slow rolling a lot more stuff in the coming weeks, as I don't want to overload good old AL(gorithm)

and in more pertinent news, I signed a contract to art direct yet another Super Bowl, my 9th one, from October to Febuary - not my ideal q4, but its money in the bank shorty whatchu drank - and gives me more time to find a better situation.

took some time to re-decorate my kids room, make it a bit less toddlery and more "big kid" like

toddler stuff is boring anyway..

also

the big race is not this weekend but next - the car is... fine.... so I really am not too motivated to do much of anything to it - I dont want mess with it at all - it does have a slight oil leak that I'm thinking about just slathering in RTV and praying over... or... I just leave it and keep an eye on the levels.

speaking of motivation... I'm kinda lacking across the board.

I think I need a vacation, or something else that I cant afford, to get out of this funk -

right now I'm working with my brother in law who's an architect - he's a great guy and has crafted his business well, I've been helping him with renderings and other visualizations over the past few months.

while he cares about history and has a good design eye, and understands historical stuff

we are not the same.

I've been working on a project for him thats been making my stomach turn. I feel like I'm Alex in Clockwork orange with the eyelid holders on being forced to work on things I dont want to. One of his clients bought a really awesome old estate from 1941 and will 100% level it and build something really dumb - I got to go there the other day - dont want to post any pics, but it was amazing. This place was incredible, the garage was incredible, the rooms, grounds and everything was incredible.

money is no object to this owner, and sitting in meetings with him gave me some insight in to the minds of people like this:

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2023/09/marilyn-monroe-demolition-house

this is not the property I'm working on, but its the same type of person who just has more money than sense, and no appreciation for anything. Why is it that the people that have the money to buy places like this have no taste and the people that do have taste don't have the money..

Man, this rock I live under is pretty cool.

In blatant honesty.. I'm falling out of love with LA, and I'm having a hard time with it.

but gently caress that I'm ready to race!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

LobsterboyX posted:

I've been gaining a bit of "steam" on my etsy stuff -

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DanoramaCity

I am slow rolling a lot more stuff in the coming weeks, as I don't want to overload good old AL(gorithm)

Can you make the Fart shirt in kid sizes? It might get me tarred and feathered, but I know my five year old would loving love wearing a shirt that says Fart.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Well, you can head east and help me change out the rear on my Bonneville.

Eleven years ago, while in heart failure (although I didn't know it at the time) I was in year seven of chasing a persistent harmonic shake in the rear end, and acquired a posi rear from a '66 Gran Prix.

cleaned it up, and installed it.

from December 2011 Looks like that right now)

I kept the original Hotchkiss axle.

Which was good, because this one started bumping on turns a few months ago, and it apparently has been eating the clutch pack; last weekend, we had a very exciting ride home, shaking & shimmying at any speed over 60 (try going slower on I-95).

I pulled the unit tonight. The LSD fluid (which was changed a month ago in an effort to cure the bumping) looked fine, draining out...but when I reached into the pumpkin, my hand came out looking like the Tin Woodsman - coppery-silver - the remains of the clutch pack.

Interestingly, I found that the bushings for the lower rear control arms are shot. They were the only ones I hadn't done. Of course.

Should have it together in a week or so. Will be selling the posi, as it is rebuildable, but it's wasted on my car.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 12, 2023

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

ought ten posted:

Can you make the Fart shirt in kid sizes? It might get me tarred and feathered, but I know my five year old would loving love wearing a shirt that says Fart.

Hell ya my kid would love the fart shirt too

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
what size do they wear? my little guy is still in the "T" range, and thats how they do it - so they have T sizes and youth sizes... dont quite know how that works yet

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My dude is still fitting 5T toddler clothes but is rapidly approaching the point where he won’t so he’s gonna be in the weird limbo between toddler and youth sizes. I’ll just buy big and he will fit it eventually*

*we may put it in the closet and forget about it until he’s too big

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I’m in that same boat.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That Fart shirt is calling my name. How's the sizing on them - true to size or a little small/big? I can wear a longish large, otherwise I have to go to XL (.. stupid belly).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LobsterboyX posted:

I've been working on a project for him thats been making my stomach turn. I feel like I'm Alex in Clockwork orange with the eyelid holders on being forced to work on things I dont want to. One of his clients bought a really awesome old estate from 1941 and will 100% level it and build something really dumb - I got to go there the other day - dont want to post any pics, but it was amazing. This place was incredible, the garage was incredible, the rooms, grounds and everything was incredible.

money is no object to this owner, and sitting in meetings with him gave me some insight in to the minds of people like this:

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2023/09/marilyn-monroe-demolition-house

this is not the property I'm working on, but its the same type of person who just has more money than sense, and no appreciation for anything. Why is it that the people that have the money to buy places like this have no taste and the people that do have taste don't have the money..

OMG I hate this kind of poo poo.
If all you want to do is tear down everything, live somewhere else, for gently caress's sake. Find something that's already broken or otherwise unsavable.

One that showed up on the Terrible Construction thread was this lovely mountain cabin that was literally all stained wood. The asshats who bought it painted everything boring white and grey. Like, if that's what you wanted, just stay in your suburban outhouse.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

ought ten posted:

I’m in that same boat.

randomidiot posted:

That Fart shirt is calling my name. How's the sizing on them - true to size or a little small/big? I can wear a longish large, otherwise I have to go to XL (.. stupid belly).

They're pretty good fitting shirts - they are a lot longer than most shirts I've had over the past 5-6 years - I really like how heavyweight they are - and the price reflects that. I was using Bella+Canvas, which is also a good fitting shirt, but just thinner than I like.

Like with everything else, I live firmly in the past, and I'm starting to think that this may be a coping mechanism, and I just cant "love" a shirt that is thin - I recall the first time I got one and said outloud "what the hell is this, did I get a girls shirt?" - these aren't the B+C arent that bad - I'm wearing them every day right now but I just know if the temp drops under 70, I'm going to be wishing for something thicker -

So far the fart shirt, valley cruise shirt and the fat pegasus shirt are this newer heavyweight shirt - all the other ones are the thinner Bella shirts.

my personal preference is the thicker shirt, but they are also way more expensive, meaning I make less per shirt than I do with the thinner ones - but I have to sell good poo poo, and I don't want to have someone pay too much for a shirt so-- I gotta figure that out.

Big Taint posted:

My dude is still fitting 5T toddler clothes but is rapidly approaching the point where he won’t so he’s gonna be in the weird limbo between toddler and youth sizes. I’ll just buy big and he will fit it eventually*

*we may put it in the closet and forget about it until he’s too big

ought ten posted:

I’m in that same boat.

I made up the farts in T sizes, 3-5T - there are too many youth tee options "youth" "kids" "teens" and several examples of each and all of the model shots they have wearing them look like much larger kids than kids fitting 5T, so... are T sizes ok?

:dafuq:

in other news, september has really sucked so far, this really cemented it..

Wife and kid are super sick for the past 3 days, neither have popped positive covid tho - with the mega amounts of immune vitamins pumping thru my veins I walked out this morning to find this

day just got pricy...

actively gushing on a Saturday with all the good supply houses closed, a call to my dear friend who is a plumber and we're off on date with home depot and credit card debt.

hooray

$1800 and 8 hours later I now have a 60 gallon tank to replace my old 40 gallon that had an impressive date stamp of 1998 - the enclosure was obviously too small so it had to go and it pained my vintage heart to see a real 1950s enclosure go. I did my best to preserve it for no one and it will be going out on the street come trash day for the scrappers.

however I did get a slight smile when I realized the original "milk door" to my house is in tact - I didn't take any pics because I was stressed out of my gourd, but I now know its there and that makes me smile and sizzle with vintage smugness.

Wife hasn't been the nicest patient during her brush with illness, so unwinding this evening I took a minute to try again with this goofy rear end project.

in one of my many home depot runs I picked up a little jewelers torch aka a crack burner to better tackle this - worked perfectly and I was able to get the emblem to sit flatter- I had good flow and the gap is way less than before..

in just a cursory inspection, I just don't think these little guys are up to the job of being on a lighter that jangles around in your pocket. running my thumb over it with a bit of pressure made some popping and crackling noises which I can only guess is the glass enamel cracking or dislodging from the emblem - I don't see anythning yet but we shall soon find out

either way things arent turning out 100% Millhouse right now - and I'm being haunted by one of my sons toys that is completely unfindable but goes off in the middle of the night randomly "READY FOR LAUNCH 3, 2, 1 *missle sound x 3"

please just let me make it to the race next weekend.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 17, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Love that last shot! Drone?

Racing may bust you out of that funk.

On board for the Fart shirt as well as the porkasus. I keep seeing a very thin lapine Brunhilda riding on her back…

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I can't really do thin shirts anymore, but not from living in the past - I just hate people being able to see exactly where my nipples are and how well they judge temperature, even with an undershirt (and I only wear undershirts in the summer or when I know I'm going to be sweating a lot). Good to know everything else, I'll get one ordered.

Sucks about the water heater, but you more than got your money's worth out of the old one. And at least it's outside, where it can't do much damage. We like to shove them into attics here when in SFHs, otherwise somewhere inconvenient in multifamily housing. Mine (also from 1998) is behind the drat washer, with shelving (that I can't even reach without climbing on top of the washer) above it. Apparently I'm in one of two apartments in the entire complex that doesn't have it in its own closet (I'm also in one of two one bedroom apartments with full size w/d hookups, all the others only accommodate stacks, despite being the exact same floorplan otherwise). My last apartment had it in a closet outside... electric.. and we actually do get winters here (sometimes). My electric bill was horrific in the winter unless I dropped the thermostats on it way down to barely doing anything (3000+ kWh/mo for a 1 bedroom apt with electric heat, I kept the heat around 60.. I could see a very obvious difference at the meter if I turned off the WH breaker).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I replaced my water heater last year. loving thing had an inspection sticker from 1985.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I’m in a low rise wood framed condo building with water heaters in each unit. We had an epidemic of water damaged apartments about a decade ago when all the original heaters from ‘89 started leaking around the same time into the apartments below.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Barnfind Hunter posted a video with an interesting model A if you skip to 10:40.

https://youtu.be/IBslSrw12uw?si=uQO0TUVdQydi66Ss

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fornax Disaster posted:

I’m in a low rise wood framed condo building with water heaters in each unit. We had an epidemic of water damaged apartments about a decade ago when all the original heaters from ‘89 started leaking around the same time into the apartments below.

That's been happening in my ~1998 2 story building pretty regularly, along with dishwashers flooding kitchens (when mine finally had the fill valve stick open last week, they found a metric ton of water damage to cabinets and subfloor from it leaking from the pump for years - our 4 year old cabinets are scrap at this point, and I've been reporting water dripping out of it for a couple of years now). Thankfully I'm on top of a garage, and the garage under my laundry room is just used for storage of... uh... judging by what I've seen on the rare occasion my neighbor opens it, a lot of hoarder stuff with a handful of actual stuff that should be kept (you can't even walk in it). I've already placed my PC and UPS on a milk crate for when our water heater finally lets go (it's not if, it's when), since they're all of 6 ft apart.

We have ~rules~ about how garages should be used, but nobody follows them. Including the rule about not parking in front of someone's garage unless it's yours (the garage comes with a driveway parking space)... I'm on 14 tows out of my driveway so far, waiting on the tow truck for #15 for show up. One car was towed 4 times before they finally stopped.. my SO leaves for work at 4:30am, it's drat near impossible to get an uber at that hour.

(ask me my opinion on Greystar...)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 19, 2023

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Is there a chance that the Etsy store could make an exception regarding its no shipping to Canada policy? :ohdear:
I need a bunch of the fat Pegasus decals for my Porsches.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I bet one of us in the US could forward if it comes to that.
I'm about as far away as you can get (Texas), but if you can't find someone closer...
Stickers can go in an envelope and should be able to go through the regular postal service.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

Is there a chance that the Etsy store could make an exception regarding its no shipping to Canada policy? :ohdear:
I need a bunch of the fat Pegasus decals for my Porsches.

dm me! we'll do it old school!

yeah, for some reason etsy wont allow putting stuff in an envelope, and the next cheapest is fuckin 20 bucks or some stupid poo poo. its bullshit and I hate it - I have a few people up there that are repeat customers, I literally go to the post office and buy a international stamp for a buck - and away they go.

in other news - if you guys are in the central coast - come see me race

https://www.rpmnationals.com/location

Djcommie - find me at the car show tomorrow night!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well that was fun...

https://i.imgur.com/jqgqIoG.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/7kRRIe8.mp4

I did 10 runs, lost 4 times - I even beat a V8 at one point.

I cant tell you all how amazing this event is - This year they had the track backwards due to construction over where the pits used to be.

I was so busy racing, I barely took any pics - here they are

I ran out of time to refurb my ww2 bomber belts so these moderns will have to do

660 is an actual historic car that ran at the lakes from 45 to 51

https://i.imgur.com/MU42mzW.mp4

heres a view from the staging lanes - someone brought that dragster to the swapmeet, apparently it hasn't run in years, someone bought it on the spot, got it running and sadly was not allowed to race it because it couldn't pass tech - narrowed axles, spotty welds and completely jerry rigged brakes. These guys were straight up thrashing, beggging, borrowing and stealing whatever they could find at the swap to get it going. They were also refueling themselves with Modellos, so by the time they got it going, they too were a bit sloppy.

here's a very cool car that my friend/club brother built over the last few months -

It's a very traditionally styled modified - only some parts on there real deal steel, everything else is fabbed.

https://i.imgur.com/c42BNls.mp4

it ran good but the cooling system couldn't keep up so we had to tow him to the staging lanes every time.

Also! this thing is back

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Really, really missed the '48

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Was there sound on any of those videos? I unmuted them but still no sound on my phone. Wanted to hear that drafter running. And your roadster going down the strip, too!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I dont know if that works on Imgur... let me try again

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Imgur has an option to keep the sound when you upload

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Had a cool old car encounter yesterday, came up behind a 1950s Airstream camper and thought it'd be cool if it was being pulled by an age matching car.
Pulled out to pass and it was a 1949 Buick Special Sedanet(?). The driver looked like a bearded Lobsterboy X doppelganger. Both trailer and car looked like unrestored survivors. Not junk in the slightest, but well and carefully used.
No pictures, though. :negative:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Spotted this at the Good Guys Lone Star nationals this past weekend:

No engine photo, because it was sadly just another SBC.

This thing was plenty custom/unusual:

Not Buick power, but I'll allow it. At least it's not an SBC.

'50 Buick
'49 taillights
'48 dash
'69 Pontiac Gran Prix door handles (push on one end to pop out, then pull)
'65 T-bird interior

...all on a '74 Caddy chassis with 500 Cad engine.
Cassy wire wheels, too!

Not exactly period, but definitely vintage?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

joat mon posted:

Had a cool old car encounter yesterday, came up behind a 1950s Airstream camper and thought it'd be cool if it was being pulled by an age matching car.
Pulled out to pass and it was a 1949 Buick Special Sedanet(?). The driver looked like a bearded Lobsterboy X doppelganger. Both trailer and car looked like unrestored survivors. Not junk in the slightest, but well and carefully used.
No pictures, though. :negative:

we're everywhere

Darchangel posted:

Spotted this at the Good Guys Lone Star nationals this past weekend:

No engine photo, because it was sadly just another SBC.

This thing was plenty custom/unusual:

Not Buick power, but I'll allow it. At least it's not an SBC.

'50 Buick
'49 taillights
'48 dash
'69 Pontiac Gran Prix door handles (push on one end to pop out, then pull)
'65 T-bird interior

...all on a '74 Caddy chassis with 500 Cad engine.
Cassy wire wheels, too!

Not exactly period, but definitely vintage?

I love the color on that 47/8, I think thats the original color of mine - too bad they didnt attempt to get the I8 going -

the '50 is pretty interesting - that kind of thing was common in the 70s-90s - guys that weren't exactly ready to give up on the true roots of hot rodding. The caddy 500 was a big brag back then, not so much anymore. minus the 60s and 70s stuff that would be considered a pretty cool custom - I've equated it to "ska in relation to street rods" - this would be kinda first wave stuff, the zz-top graphics, tweed interiors and other typical stuff would be like the 2nd wave and the 3rd wave would be resto modded muscle cars... interesting to consider.

In my advanced years I've learned to appreciate it for what it is, the craftsmanship that went in to them and the mindsets of those involved - for instance - maybe when that guy was growing up he didn't have the money for something like that and was forced to make due with a model a and a juiced flathead - they were cheap and you could express yourself as much as your budget would allow - in to the 70s and 80s those boomers had some bucks and they could live out their dumb kid ideas by spending jr's college fund on some poo poo with dumb graphics on it and a catalog injected smallblock... or maybe they were just selfish... who knows.

I can say a lot of really nice original stuff met its end to projects like this, but they still kinda live on in some weird generational trend - almost like the bad timeline in bttf2.

Anyway - I've been really busy since getting back from the races, preparing to start work which I did today, and from home too which is even nicer because of

my buddy and club mate brought out a vintage camera to the races, he handed it to his 8 year old son and he captured some really beautiful images that affirm the "what year is it again?" vibe of the race - if it wasnt for the modern pickups in the background.. who knows

he's got a few more rolls to develop, and once again, we forget how far tech has come because of gems like this

which will now live forever because there are no "live" pictures where you could just switch to a different frame where I didn't look like jabba the hut taking a crap in his pants.

the 660b car, as I've mentioned before is an actual historic car with ties to the parks family - the owner, Chris is one of the kindest guys ever - he lost power one run and we just couldn't figure it out, he managed to get only 2 runs the whole day, not for lack of trying. This was me a few years back and it was horrible - so next year we have to get his car bulletproof

Speaking of old school - this is the only picture that was taken during with a long overdue visit from my friend and OLD SCHOOL goon Vorheese - who's not active - I told him about this thread and he said he'd try to make an appearance at some point...

both of us have aged quite a bit, dad life -all that good stuff - me and him used to hang and cruise cars in the bay area where he lived and my cousin lived - I'd go on extended stays and cruise around in my old 55 caddy up there - he got out of the car stuff and heavy in to the bike stuff - in 2009 I sold him pretty much all my bikes after a near miss..

While he was here we took a few of his triumph mc parts to a local engine builder who is a mutual friend of ours - it was good to see him, I hope we can figure out a way to see eachother more often - we both walked away from our visit as though we had just had a therapy session :yikes:

so a few months back I posted about this bike

super cheap swapmeet score for my wife - well at 5' tall this thing was super huge for her and she didn't like it very much - instead of just hanging it on the wall out back I put feelers out for a trade - this thing came up

late 30s girls 24" colson - in truly astounding shape - you have to think that 24" girls bikes are very specific - they were either handed down or cast off - this amazing example is in better shape than any vintage bike I've ever owned, its like new. it even came with the original tires. the best part, it was a straight trade - no money changed hands. more pics of this in the daylight coming soon.

Speaking of light...

remeber that cool vintage light I posted about, well I finally snagged it up this weekend.

I went over there to pull this thing down and quickly realized how cool this was, and how I didn't notice much about it other than it was old -

I've been combing around seeing if I can find any info on this thing and there's really nothing, when it was up in the garage I never even saw the stars on it - the whole motif really looks like it was something pertaining to government or military - Maybe this was in a veterans hall, recruitment office, library? who knows!

google doesn't provide much on this either...

so now, the question is - do I pull the aluminum end caps off and have them polished and clean up the white backing? or do I leave it as found? does this go in the garage or in the house? and lastly - do I replace the guts with LED equivalents? I'm pretty sure I could create some really amazing looks with color LED's- poo poo even being able to dim it would be rad... Either way I need to get some fluted glass panels cut to fit in the slots

wife found these:

https://www.vintagehardware.com/proddetail.php?prod=250-GTL&gad=1

which makes me think about putting it in our library - but I'd have to replace the chains with some cool, equally as stylish, metal rods and sconces?(or whatever you call them when they're hanging) rather than the chains it has on it.

more later!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

I went over there to pull this thing down and quickly realized how cool this was, and how I didn't notice much about it other than it was old -

I've been combing around seeing if I can find any info on this thing and there's really nothing, when it was up in the garage I never even saw the stars on it - the whole motif really looks like it was something pertaining to government or military - Maybe this was in a veterans hall, recruitment office, library? who knows!

Keese Engineering was rolled into Shannon Luminous Materials sometime between 1912 when John Shannon joined Keese, and 1939 when Shannon Luminous Materials was founded. SLM didn’t go out of business until 2021. Source

Pretty sure that fixture is pre-war. Also found this because time is obviously a flat circle where all paths lead back to LobsterBoy’s garage:

quote:

Several years later, while driving one afternoon in Culver City, California, Pop Shannon noticed men working in an open field on an airplane. Curious, he pulled over and began chatting with them. The day progressed into night and Pop Shannon suggested that they could use some of his lights that he had stored in his car. When he returned with the high-power lamps, the men started back to work and continued through the night. On of the men was named Donald Douglas, and his helpers were working on their first contract airplane. This relationship allowed Shannon to provide lighting and engineering to Douglas Aircraft Company for many years thereafter.

If the story isn’t completely apocryphal, that would be the Douglas DT.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I’d leave the light as-is, and run it on the current flourescents until the transformer/ballast fails.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Keese Engineering was rolled into Shannon Luminous Materials sometime between 1912 when John Shannon joined Keese, and 1939 when Shannon Luminous Materials was founded. SLM didn’t go out of business until 2021. Source

Pretty sure that fixture is pre-war. Also found this because time is obviously a flat circle where all paths lead back to LobsterBoy’s garage:

If the story isn’t completely apocryphal, that would be the Douglas DT.

well thats pretty insane - read further in to it... holy crap

I'm kinda upset that this company is gone now!

Thats even closer of a degree of a separation - my grandfather started work there in 1936, so maybe he was one of the guys working to repair the plane? who knows, I'll have to ask my uncle

One day I'll take a few pics of his scrap book he made for a camera class in the 20s, which is a family treasure, it shows a lot of cars, early los angeles and aviation

speaking of pics - I got tagged in these today from a photographer at the event

and my dog got tagged in this shot by me.

Also..

the transmission shop got a pretty angry call from me this morning - its headed back

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Those film photos are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

we're everywhere

I love the color on that 47/8, I think thats the original color of mine - too bad they didnt attempt to get the I8 going -

I know, right? I was very disappointed.

quote:

the '50 is pretty interesting - that kind of thing was common in the 70s-90s - guys that weren't exactly ready to give up on the true roots of hot rodding. The caddy 500 was a big brag back then, not so much anymore. minus the 60s and 70s stuff that would be considered a pretty cool custom - I've equated it to "ska in relation to street rods" - this would be kinda first wave stuff, the zz-top graphics, tweed interiors and other typical stuff would be like the 2nd wave and the 3rd wave would be resto modded muscle cars... interesting to consider.

I figure the '50 would have been built some time when I was a kid. '74 Caddy frame, so maybe early to mid '80s? Maybe even late '70s. Who knows. It would have had to been when the T-bird interior wasn't unobtainable or unobtainably expensive.
Kind of stuff I saw as a youngster at car shows. My teens would have been the 2nd wave Boyd Coddington stuff. Street rods.

quote:

he's got a few more rolls to develop, and once again, we forget how far tech has come because of gems like this

which will now live forever because there are no "live" pictures where you could just switch to a different frame where I didn't look like jabba the hut taking a crap in his pants.

Forgive me - I laughed.

quote:

Speaking of light...

remeber that cool vintage light I posted about, well I finally snagged it up this weekend.

so now, the question is - do I pull the aluminum end caps off and have them polished and clean up the white backing? or do I leave it as found? does this go in the garage or in the house? and lastly - do I replace the guts with LED equivalents? I'm pretty sure I could create some really amazing looks with color LED's- poo poo even being able to dim it would be rad... Either way I need to get some fluted glass panels cut to fit in the slots

wife found these:

https://www.vintagehardware.com/proddetail.php?prod=250-GTL&gad=1

which makes me think about putting it in our library - but I'd have to replace the chains with some cool, equally as stylish, metal rods and sconces?(or whatever you call them when they're hanging) rather than the chains it has on it.

more later!

Definitely find some panels to fit into the grooves.
I'd be tempted to upgrade to LEDs in tubes to look original, set to "warm" but with a remote to do mood and party lights. I'm a fan of functional vintage stuff - looks vintage, mostly *is* but can do modern stuff.
Buuuuuuuut.. really like the idea of running it until it won't, like POC said.

honda whisperer posted:

Those film photos are awesome.

Also, that.
I've got pictures I took that end up looking like that, from a 110 camera I had back in the '70s/'80s - film has a definite feel, especially when it's actual vintage film. Warm fuzzies coming from those pics.
Reminds me I have a couple rolls of 35mm that I have no idea what's on them. I should get those developed some day.