Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

Huh, Fallout 3 totally stole that idea, then.

It could be a coincidence. Post apocalypse Pittsburgh turning into the Pitt seems like an idea more than one person could have independently. Although any foreign actors launching nukes at the East Coast feels like Pittsburgh would be third on the list at best, seventh or eighth seems more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Air Skwirl posted:

It could be a coincidence. Post apocalypse Pittsburgh turning into the Pitt seems like an idea more than one person could have independently. Although any foreign actors launching nukes at the East Coast feels like Pittsburgh would be third on the list at best, seventh or eighth seems more likely.

Pittsburg wasn't even hit directly in Fallout, it was just so polluted it didn't need to be.

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 11, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

As I recall the immediate aftermath was that since the sphere was basically a total annihilation rather than an explosion, it created a vacuum that swept in debris and toxic runoff, along with inrush from the Ohio and Allegheny that filled the crater with toxic backwash almost immediately. I don't think they really did much with it afterward, though, except as a hook for future developments. And on that note, I also recall that the next 'event' follow-up was the U.S. treating it as an act of terrorism and drafting paranormals to fight a war against the first country/entity that looked at us funny and, well...

Some real back-of-the-envelope math and pulling up a generalized chart of crustal temperature vs depth shows that the bottom of that crater should have been at least 900°F. Would not want to be anywhere in the area when water started spilling into it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
As i remember one of the other big problems with the New Universe was this fear from existing fans that this line was going to replace the main Marvell timeliness.
Fans refused to read the NU books because they didn't want to replace Spiderman.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bucnasti posted:

As i remember one of the other big problems with the New Universe was this fear from existing fans that this line was going to replace the main Marvell timeliness.
Fans refused to read the NU books because they didn't want to replace Spiderman.

Well, it worked!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Byzantine posted:

Pittsburg wasn't even hit directly in Fallout, it was just so polluted it didn't need to be.

"What a mess, something terrible must have happened here in The War."
[pretend I can do a Pennsylvania accent] "Nah we've always been this way. Lovely day isn't it?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Senior Woodchuck posted:

They also blew up Pittsburgh because it was Jim Shooter's hometown.

Was that a clever reference or a "gently caress you" to the guy?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Was that a clever reference or a "gently caress you" to the guy?

Shooter was the creator of the New Universe hero Star Brand and chose to base him in Pittsburgh. However, after Shooter got kicked out as EIC of Marvel, John Byrne took over writing Star Brand, and having him blow up Pittsburgh was a gently caress-you to Shooter. I know, I know, John Byrne being a petty bitch, shocking.

In fact, the story was written to make Star Brand look like an idiot: after his powers start running out of control (including accidentally killing several thousand people at a comics convention), he's told to go to the far side of the moon so he can safely blow off his excess energy there. But he decides nah, that's too far, ten miles up should be safe enough ... and the resultant energy release wipes Pittsburgh off the map.

Also from the same issue: Byrne and editor Howard Mackie insert themselves to do an extended "Well actually..." about how stupid secret identities are:

Selachian fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 12, 2023

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

Shooter was allegedly very keen on replacing the existing Marvel heroes with new versions, so it wasn’t entirely unfounded. I want to say Spider-Man’s black costume was commissioned by Shooter to be a design for an all-new Spidey and there were plans for a Native American Captain America but I’m probably mixing up the details.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wyatt Wingfoot as Captain America could have been a cool idea.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Splint Chesthair posted:

Shooter was allegedly very keen on replacing the existing Marvel heroes with new versions, so it wasn’t entirely unfounded. I want to say Spider-Man’s black costume was commissioned by Shooter to be a design for an all-new Spidey and there were plans for a Native American Captain America but I’m probably mixing up the details.

NA Cap sounds vaguely familiar.
I was in high school and really liked a couple of the NU titles, but I remember them getting poo poo on at the shops by other people who claimed they were trying to replace all the existing marvel titles. Comics fans never change.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Right-to-left

From the Delicious in Dungeon Adventurer's Bible.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Bucnasti posted:

NA Cap sounds vaguely familiar.

Probably thinking of the "twist" from Marvel 1602.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Inkspot posted:

Probably thinking of the "twist" from Marvel 1602.

nah, I'm remembering reading and or being told about NA cap back when I was a kid and the NU was current.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BooDooBoo posted:

Seems like it'd lead to a lot of interesting stories, would it become an inland sea? would that drain the oceans at all? Is that where they were gonna do an Aquaman book?

Seems like you'd be able to do amazing things with resource extraction with a crater that exposed down to 15 miles below regular ground level. That's gonna give you a lot of opportunity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Byzantine posted:

It was the phentanyl cloud.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
The NU stuff reminds me of the DC version where the Cuban Missile Crisis went hot and the main superhero is Captain Atom, there was some interesting stuff in there (esp. that version of Superman). Also the Stan Lee limited Imagine(sic?) Line with luchador Batman.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Tangent was cool until it went all "our Superman is evil" and the whole line became about that.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I remember liking DP7 as a kid, but that's all I really remember of the whole NU thing.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Champions #5 (1976)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

All economic supervillain news is bad news

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Did Rampage ever turn into a hero at some point?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

evilmiera posted:

Did Rampage ever turn into a hero at some point?

I think he ended up being the guy who gave the Punisher his gun that shoots swords.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

I think he ended up being the guy who gave the Punisher his gun that shoots swords.

That was Microchip.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Air Skwirl posted:

That was Microchip.

You sure it wasn’t Gadget Hackwrench?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Joe Fisto posted:

You sure it wasn’t Gadget Hackwrench?

No it was Microchip

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

No it was Microchip

No, I'm pretty sure they were right the first time.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

ImpAtom posted:

I knew it

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Darthemed posted:

The Champions #5 (1976)

Don’t forget his team, the Recession Raiders!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

TheCenturion posted:

I remember liking DP7 as a kid, but that's all I really remember of the whole NU thing.

DP7 was one of my absolute favorite books when I was younger. Gruenwald was on his game on that book, and Paul Ryan was always one of my favorite pencilers. The characters were great, I loved the concept of the Clinic and the politics behind it, the fact that they dealt with actually real world issues like race and gender politics, marriage troubles…. It was just a great concept and well executed.

I wish they’d finally put the whole series up on MU.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
No discussion of the Marvel New Universe could be complete without talking about my favorite addition to it, Kickers, Inc. Not even an entire football team that gets superpowers, just the quarterback, but he talks the rest of them into being super heroes because he gets bored at being so good at football.

This is the kind of stuff they were doing to be "realistic" in the NU and it's ridiculous. These are both from Kickers, Inc. #2 (1986).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ImpAtom posted:

I would read it

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I only read a few of the NU books. I sorta liked Spitfire but the other two were just boring af (so much so, I can't even recall their names), the entire setting just seemed so dull compared to the regular Marvel output.

I imagine I'd probably appreciate it all a lot more these days but oh well.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I remember being really into DP7, Spitfire and uh... Justice?? but I went back and tried to read a few of them as an adult and they felt pretty bland. They did a lot of interesting things but they were very much mid-80's comics and were still figuring a lot of things out. I feel like NU crawled so that Ultimate Universe could run (and often stumble).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Splint Chesthair posted:

It wasn't specifically commissioned. Marvel ran a contest in 82 for fans to submit new ideas and costumes for existing super heroes. Someone submitted a stealth suit for Spider-man and was paid $200 and an opportunity to write the change. All the story submissions by the fan were rejected and the suit got shelved for a while.

Then when the toys for Secret Wars were being produced they wanted to do two Spider-man figured since he was the best seller but didn't have enough money in the budget for paint apps since he was one of the costlier figures to produce.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Darthemed posted:

The Champions #5 (1976)

The first time I saw this panel, I think it was Gavok who pointed out that most of the Champions have a look on their face that's appropriate for being told they're fighting a recession-based supervillain, but Hercules is taking this deadly serious. "He's seen recessions before. He knows what they breed" is a line that's lived rent-free in my head for years.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Bucnasti posted:

I remember being really into DP7, Spitfire and uh... Justice?? but I went back and tried to read a few of them as an adult and they felt pretty bland. They did a lot of interesting things but they were very much mid-80's comics and were still figuring a lot of things out. I feel like NU crawled so that Ultimate Universe could run (and often stumble).

Or, in Jeph Loeb's case, fall into a sinkhole.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sensation Comics #24 (1943)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Women walk like this?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Darthemed posted:

Sensation Comics #24 (1943)

virgin/chad