Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:eng99: My browser settings put a scrollbar on the table that I missed, my bad (why yes I have huge text enabled :corsair:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_7gzmJVxLc

I miss these sounds, I should really play 'old' BG1 again.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I miss the old loading screens from BG1 with that sick art of a ln adventuring party. I used to imagine it was Gorion or Elminster off adventuring in your younger days.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Vichan posted:

I had completely forgotten anything like this changed from the original version but then I heard the guy go "WOOOAAHH" in the middle of the spell incantation and was immediately in my parents' basement in 1999 again

Also I cannot believe I do not remember a loading screen of a 1990s computer with a bloody dagger, you would think that would have stuck out in my mind

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

DeadButDelicious posted:

I miss the old loading screens from BG1 with that sick art of a ln adventuring party. I used to imagine it was Gorion or Elminster off adventuring in your younger days.

I still think about that guy’s rear end

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Something I learned the other day that I find funny is that while Paladins and Rangers will become Fallen if their rep drops too low, apparently Blackguards aren't beholden to this rule, so you can have a Reputation of 20, and you don't lose your powers.

DeadButDelicious posted:

I don't think I've ever seen that screen before, and I think I did try to play the original version of BG1 at one point (albeit with some of the mods installed).

Is that from the installer or something?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yeah, that's the installer.

Good ol' 90s installers. The C&C one was a treat.

e: Actually, was it the insert next disc screen? BG1 was on like six CDs or something daft.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Then once it's installed you get to watch a sick as gently caress promo video of Planescape:Torment

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Yeah, that's the installer.

Good ol' 90s installers. The C&C one was a treat.

e: Actually, was it the insert next disc screen? BG1 was on like six CDs or something daft.

Core memory unlocked.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah, those screens bring back a ton of memories. I had the original 5 CD set that I bought from the mall. I remember the manual was super thick and I was terrible at the game because I was 10 years old when I bought it.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Vargatron posted:

Yeah, those screens bring back a ton of memories. I had the original 5 CD set that I bought from the mall. I remember the manual was super thick and I was terrible at the game because I was 10 years old when I bought it.

Same but I saw the big box with skull on it while at Office Depot with the family, since they had a little PC game section at the time, and I just had to have it. That manual lived in my bathroom cabinet for years, I must have read through it a hundred times. I was also pretty terrible at it but because of that I learned the magic of console commands for the first time.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
To be fair, part of the reason the manuals were so thick was because of the spell lists and that they had to contain a bunch of tables and info from the PHB of the tabletop game.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

God I miss that. Now instead of thick manuals they release games like BG3 which don't provide any of that information, and if you want to plan a character build you have to trawl through forums and wikis to figure out what they changed from the PHB.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean BG3 is far less opaque and doesn't need the thick manual as much.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I can never let mention of the Age of Thick Manuals pass without mentioning Homeworld. That was a thick manual that didn't have the excuse of having to copy and paste chunks of a TTRPG rulebook. Chock full of fiction and even an in-universe argument between admirals over what fleet doctrine should be regarding capital shops and strike craft.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Thinking about putting a party together for IWDEE and I'm not sure what the 6th slot should be so fast I've got

Dwarven Defender/Priest of Tyr
Undead Hunter
Blade
Archer/Bounty Hunter
Dragon Disciple

Using the multikit builder so I can make any multikits I want. Probably gonna try the skills and abilities mod to give the blade some pick locks and find traps. So I have most stuff covered, what's a fun 6th build to have?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean BG3 is far less opaque and doesn't need the thick manual as much.

Generally yes, but when you're choosing a class you can't readily see what that class looks like at level 8 or 10 until you get to that level. Respeccing is cheap if you level up and aren't satisfied with what you're getting, but I actively enjoy looking through feats and such and planning out a build, and BG3 doesn't really allow for that without referencing a lot of out-of-game resources. What am I giving up if I dip out of my main class for a level in fighter? No way to know with the resources Larian provided me short of just leveling to 12 and finding out. I suppose it doesn't stop anyone from beating the game or anything, but I find it irritating.

I think I got spoiled by Deadfire where they lay everything out for you right up front before you commit to anything, and it feels bad to play something that takes such a big leap backwards in communicating with the player. Even BG1&2 do it a bit better; the games tell you a bunch about the different bonuses and skills you'll get and at what level during class selection. I guess they don't tell you much about HLAs or spells, but they were designing with a manual in mind. The BG3 devs knew the player wouldn't necessarily have other resources.

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I can never let mention of the Age of Thick Manuals pass without mentioning Homeworld. That was a thick manual that didn't have the excuse of having to copy and paste chunks of a TTRPG rulebook. Chock full of fiction and even an in-universe argument between admirals over what fleet doctrine should be regarding capital shops and strike craft.

I still have that manual safely stored away. It's a great one. Also have the MechCommander manual which is pretty good, has a bunch of info on different mechs, weapons and vehicles in full color on glossy pages.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Thinking about putting a party together for IWDEE and I'm not sure what the 6th slot should be so fast I've got

Dwarven Defender/Priest of Tyr
Undead Hunter
Blade
Archer/Bounty Hunter
Dragon Disciple

Using the multikit builder so I can make any multikits I want. Probably gonna try the skills and abilities mod to give the blade some pick locks and find traps. So I have most stuff covered, what's a fun 6th build to have?

You probably want some kind of thief, either single class or multi with fighter or wizard would be my recommendation.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

You probably want some kind of thief, either single class or multi with fighter or wizard would be my recommendation.

Was thinking about a F/M/T, what's the most interesting/busted multikit I could make? Berserker/Wild Mage/Shadowdancer?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Generally yes, but when you're choosing a class you can't readily see what that class looks like at level 8 or 10 until you get to that level.

The Pathfinder games show the whole layout of a class better than anything else I've seen, though PoE2 does a pretty nice job too.

Of course, you still need 3 wikis and 5 videos to figure out a build.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dr. Quarex posted:

I had completely forgotten anything like this changed from the original version but then I heard the guy go "WOOOAAHH" in the middle of the spell incantation and was immediately in my parents' basement in 1999 again

Also I cannot believe I do not remember a loading screen of a 1990s computer with a bloody dagger, you would think that would have stuck out in my mind

for me it's the female alteration clip switching to a demon voice halfway through the incantation; that's the one I recalled as soon as I clicked the video and it still spooked me

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Bilirubin posted:

Thanks. I think I just might replay from where I messed up and save that coin. It won't be too big a loss of progress.

this was the right decision. Instead of killing him for look I wound up *gaining* two more reputation points from turning in quests and telling him "naw I ain't that Greywolf dude he's dead"

Now back in Beregost, and I just got the dreaded bandit camp quest :ohdear: Party is at least level 3 this time though so hopefully it will go better this time. Imoen is at 4. Oh, and speaking of her, should I multiclass her Thief/fighter seeing as I'm mostly using her for ranged rain of arrow death?

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 12, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I still have my 6 CD case and all the maps and books, I should fetch those out of storage for a photo

(downloading EE via GoG for $5 was the correct call to install the game--I hated the "find all the patches and apply then in precisely the correct order" game from back in the day. GoG's version just works, its nice

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bilirubin posted:

this was the right decision. Instead of killing him for look I wound up *gaining* two more reputation points from turning in quests and telling him "naw I ain't that Greywolf dude he's dead"

Now back in Beregost, and I just got the dreaded bandit camp quest :ohdear: Party is at least level 3 this time though so hopefully it will go better this time. Imoen is at 4. Oh, and speaking of her, should I multiclass her Thief/fighter seeing as I'm mostly using her for ranged rain of arrow death?

Well, this will increase her THAC0 eventually to levels she wouldn't have as a thief, but she won't have extra attacks because attacks per round on missile weapons are set for each weapon and she won't be able to wield any better bows that do more damage because of her abysmal strength score. If you aren't using her for any thief abilities (not even finding traps), then maybe okay, otherwise it isn't really worth it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Can you dual Imoen to fighter? I thought her strength was too low.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Can you dual Imoen to fighter? I thought her strength was too low.

Her strength is 9 out of the box, without futzing around the only dual choice for her is mage.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It is

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This is my favourite running joke.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

sebzilla posted:

Then once it's installed you get to watch a sick as gently caress promo video of Planescape:Torment

That video was sick! I wonder what half of it was about though because you never saw anything like it in the game

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

God I miss that. Now instead of thick manuals they release games like BG3 which don't provide any of that information, and if you want to plan a character build you have to trawl through forums and wikis to figure out what they changed from the PHB.

You do not need to do that lol. Kill the cop in your brain

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Definitely one of my favourites. I also really liked the one for Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. So much flavour.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Definitely one of my favourites. I also really liked the one for Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. So much flavour.

Arcanum's manual had actual recipes, talk about flavour :science:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

After BG3 it feels so dang weird hitting the rest button so often.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

v funny to me that the first Baldur's Gate to get people to stop resting all the dang time is also the one that wants them to be resting all the time. like a Blackadder bit

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

v funny to me that the first Baldur's Gate to get people to stop resting all the dang time is also the one that wants them to be resting all the time. like a Blackadder bit
Larian made the incredibly bad decision to simultaneously say that you should long rest freely and that "but do not long rest if someone is in imminent danger" or whatever. SOMEONE IS INEVITABLY IN IMMINENT DANGER NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE IN THE ENTIRE GAMS

I will definitely check a list of all the things a long rest ACTUALLY ruins once I beat the game though, I will happily use long rests with that information in hand

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

goblin week posted:

note: you can, in fact, injure cops with no penalty

Yeah, if they attack you, say south of beregost, you can indeed kill those pigs and take their full plate in chapter 2 with zero rep loss cos gently caress the pigs

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Vichan posted:

Bg1 sounds mods them back in

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think that's universal; I feel like there's at least one encounter where some pig is harassing you for existing outside of city borders and you will get a rep hit if you let him escalate and fight back.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

sebzilla posted:

Descent 3 actually (uk version) lol. Think totsc had pst.

I recently installed my og discs so i had an og copy on my pc to gently caress around with lol. tho theres no decent nocd anymore by the uhhh looks of things so i ended up reinstalling the gog version, i remember hearing that was missing something in the files but cant remember what :shrug:

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

goblin week posted:

That video was sick! I wonder what half of it was about though because you never saw anything like it in the game

Oh yeah, absolutely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNgC0BlTsmA

Very cool, though.