Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I have a waxed chain now on my best summer road bike. It’s clearly the best choice for dry weather road riding. It may also be the best option for wet weather road riding provided it’s a bike you care about that gets cleaned/dried after every ride, and can have a drip wax top-up and/or fresh waxed chain swapped on regularly.

You’d be running a chain cleaner with solvents on the chain regularly with any non-wax lube and that’s more faff and mess and time than waxing.

I’m not sure it’s the best option for a winter commuter bike that gets less attention, put away wet, in the dark, 5 days a week. Components cost less, I care less, oil and a wipe with a cloth is all it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Belts have tough competition in single speed chains, the chillest chains.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Love a single speed chain

Chonky

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

mikemelbrooks posted:

One ride on a wet gritty road and they will lose the wax and start to rust. I have to wipe the chain down with a oily rag after a wet ride. We have a gates belt cross over drive on a tandem and it's so much cleaner. We bought the tandem second hand and put around 4000miles on it and afaik it's the original belt.

Were you fastidious about chain prep prior to waxing? I've not had this issue...

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Skarsnik posted:

Love a single speed chain

Chonky

Multi-speed chains are the single-speed bicycles of the chain world.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Groda posted:

Multi-speed chains are the single-speed bicycles of the chain world.

Always in the wrong gear?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

In the future, I'll be taking Amtrak to Washington, staying for a week, and coming home. I really dislike driving (hello to my fans in the AI EV thread), and I dislike renting cars even more, so the bike is the obvious solution.

This week I'm in Silver City (which is not home) and Ms Cruft has the car, so I brought the bike, in the unlikely event I need to go somewhere while she's away. I crammed it into this bag I got on Amazon for $35 and it looks like this is going to work just fine for the train.

Whoever it was earlier who said they were thinking about a folding bike: go for it. You 100% will find reasons that, actually, you needed a folding bike.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 11, 2023

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
folding bikes rule... JBI has some cheap as poo poo foldies from Sun cycles but its hard to tell if they are worth a drat or not

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

cruft posted:

I crammed it into this bag I got on Amazon for $35

what bag is this? Brompton bagging tends to be either "$5 clear bag from Ikea" or "$300 hard case you have to order from Europe," been thinking about trying to find something in between

e: drat you got a gimmick probation immediately as I posted this now I gotta spend six hours in suspense

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

abraham linksys posted:

what bag is this? Brompton bagging tends to be either "$5 clear bag from Ikea" or "$300 hard case you have to order from Europe," been thinking about trying to find something in between

e: drat you got a gimmick probation immediately as I posted this now I gotta spend six hours in suspense

https://www.ubuy.co.in/product/2QVS2C8K-camgo-20-inch-folding-bike-bag-waterproof-bicycle-travel-case-outdoors-bike-transport-bag-for-cars-t maybe this?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

cruft PMed me earlier to say it's this one, which looks identical other than having a logo on it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3WXV4D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

kinda suspect it might be too narrow for a Brompton; as kimbo posted a few weeks ago they're more cube-shaped than most folding bikes when fully folded. might poke around and see if anyone's had luck using it with a Brompton, though

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

abraham linksys posted:

cruft PMed me earlier to say it's this one, which looks identical other than having a logo on it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3WXV4D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

kinda suspect it might be too narrow for a Brompton; as kimbo posted a few weeks ago they're more cube-shaped than most folding bikes when fully folded. might poke around and see if anyone's had luck using it with a Brompton, though

this one looks like a pretty good fit https://carradice.co.uk/shop/accessories/folding-bike-case/?v=7516fd43adaa

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hmm, the Rhinowalk shouldn’t be a problem then, as it’s larger in every dimension.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
everyone ITT should buy foldies this week...

if youre broke dropship one from ali

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Don't actually get a cheapo one. Mine rusted to bits and everything that wasn't rusted had to be constantly adjusted or replaced. :negcycle:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I fully support the commencement of "financially crippling mass bicycle purchase of the month: :patriot:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

-Anders posted:

Don't actually get a cheapo one. Mine rusted to bits and everything that wasn't rusted had to be constantly adjusted or replaced. :negcycle:

a customer gave me their roadmaster foldie after they balked at the deluxe tuneup price... bike worked wonderfully for like 4 years before I gave it away after realizing I had too many bikes. The brake bosses on the back were kinda f ucked up though

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Folding bikes have more mechanical complexity than a normal bike. If one is priced like a Walmart bike, then you'll get the same headaches with non-serviceable components that need to be replaced entirely with something decent, and that replacement will come at retail cost. Dahon and Tern should be considered the cheapest serviceable folding bikes.

bike worked wonderfully for like 4 years

How many trips/miles did you put on it over that time?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

on it

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Oh I'm absolutely placing an order for a Bike Friday next month, after I'm done being a Quebecois dude riding the Empire State trail and bothering small town bike shop goons.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

SimonSays posted:

Oh I'm absolutely placing an order for a Bike Friday next month, after I'm done being a Quebecois dude riding the Empire State trail and bothering small town bike shop goons.

I was looking at their website today and they've got a 15% off thing going if you order sometime before the end of September and don't care about delivery time. I'm perpetually a year away from buying one because I just bought something else fun

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Just bought a U lock and attached it to the folder, because I'm tired of realizing I'm on a trip and I forgot a lock. Such as what happened yesterday.

Is there any way to shut these things up, or do I just need to accept another rattle?

e: looks like strategically placed rubber band, electrical tape, or rubber o rings are the Internet suggestions. Basically, cram some junk into the attachment point so the junk absorbs the vibration.

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 12, 2023

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

kimbo305 posted:

Folding bikes have more mechanical complexity than a normal bike. If one is priced like a Walmart bike, then you'll get the same headaches with non-serviceable components that need to be replaced entirely with something decent, and that replacement will come at retail cost. Dahon and Tern should be considered the cheapest serviceable folding bikes.

How many trips/miles did you put on it over that time?

I think on average like 2 trips a week. It was great for creating my own park-and-ride situation for PDX. It definitely wasn't a daily rider. My point is the bikes hold up better than you would expect but it's true that you're going to have a bad time unless you're very competent at bike repairs

imo the Dahon bikes are probably the best value

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Mauser posted:

I was looking at their website today and they've got a 15% off thing going if you order sometime before the end of September and don't care about delivery time. I'm perpetually a year away from buying one because I just bought something else fun

Well apparently I'm ordering now

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SimonSays posted:

Well apparently I'm ordering now

Hell yes, whatcha getting?

You had better post a photo when you get it, or else!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

cruft posted:

Just bought a U lock and attached it to the folder, because I'm tired of realizing I'm on a trip and I forgot a lock. Such as what happened yesterday.

Is there any way to shut these things up, or do I just need to accept another rattle?

e: looks like strategically placed rubber band, electrical tape, or rubber o rings are the Internet suggestions. Basically, cram some junk into the attachment point so the junk absorbs the vibration.

a cinching velcro strap around the body of the lock and the frame of the bike. but generally ulock mounts suck because of the rattling

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

cruft posted:

Hell yes, whatcha getting?

You had better post a photo when you get it, or else!

All-Packa, I need something to do my big tours on that I can carry with me for the getting-to and returning-from. I'll try to remember photos in the Spring when I build it.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

I've already got 3! I'm out of room even though they fold!

My favorite is this thing. The old Dahons have a fun rickety-ness

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

imo the Dahon bikes are probably the best value

I'll never understand why they gave up on internal gears.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
theres a bunch of those 80s dahons on FB marketplace... i think I'm going to go used once the paycheck hits my acct on fri

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Groda posted:

I'll never understand why they gave up on internal gears.

Sram ate up Sachs and shitcanned the IGH division as fast as they could and now there's Shimano or SR-Sturmey, and trust me you don't want Sturmey, while Shimano is quite good but not as minimalistic and elegant as the old Sachs designs.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

brompton went from old sturmey archer -> sram -> new sturmey archer

what bikes come stock with those shimano hubs? apparently you can mod a brompton to use em (https://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/folding-bikes/brompton/brompton-alfine-kits/), but the cost has me assuming they are too expensive for most bikes. pretty much all non-brompton folding bikes seem to just have regular ol' gears

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Sturmey on a Brompton is fine, it's not going to win any weight awards but it's pretty maintenance free and bulletproof.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

i saw pics of a brompton with a rohloff and 50mm big apples and goddamn does that sound like a great idea

e:

https://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/folding-bikes/brompton/johns-big-apple-rohloff-brompton/

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

I have no idea what would ever be my use case for one. Around my city I just use a real bike and if I take the train to another place I get a public transport bike for a few euro per 24h. If you see someone here riding around on one of those tiny clown bikes it's probably a recently arrived expat who hasn't figured the local infrastructure out yet.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Entropist posted:

I have no idea what would ever be my use case for one. Around my city I just use a real bike and if I take the train to another place I get a public transport bike for a few euro per 24h. If you see someone here riding around on one of those tiny clown bikes it's probably a recently arrived expat who hasn't figured the local infrastructure out yet.

Thanks, we know buddy. We're having fun over here.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i mean nyc has bike rentals but they only come in two varieties: regular bikes that weigh 40 pounds with flat tires and broken brakes, or e-bikes that weigh 90 pounds and only have one speed which is "instant acceleration to 25mph" that also have flat tires and broken brakes

weird that the bikeshare run by a car-hailing company wouldn't invest in maintenance, can't see why

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
don't pretty much all shimano 8 speed IGH's have an OLD of 130+? maybe if your foldie was steel you can just jam it in there

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Entropist posted:

you keep one in your closet so you can trick your mates into going on bike expeditions with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
You don't even have to have a use case for a dumb little bike. The use case is that it's fun to look stupid. You can even have one that doesn't fold up if you want