Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I can't wait until a new character comes out that requires special xp materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I just beat difficulty 5 for the first time, and I used Abundance!

Some notes about my run:

- In terms of the skill tree, I've unlocked all the bonuses up to but not including the "land on the final boss with zero turns left" one. I haven't unlocked Propagation as a proper path yet.

- I literally lost to Svarog, but since I had the curio that turns a loss into a win, it counted it as a win! Apparently that curio works on the first and second plane bosses, and only fails on the final boss.

- I happened to unlock the Remembrance 2 event after """beating""" Svarog, so I got a poo poo ton of Remembrance blessings from that. These were absolutely key to beating the final boss. I made sure that the "disassociation on break" blessing was upgraded right before fighting them, which turned out to be the key to success. I also had the blessing that breaks disassociation and does 150% damage if you attack a disassociated dude. The other main MVP was the three-star hunt blessing that gives you another turn on break. But honestly I'd say the majority of my blessings ended up being useful in one way or another.

- I save scummed like 3-5 times using Alt+F4 so I had a bunch of chances to fight the boss before finally beating it :) I was able to beat it after adjusting my strategy to target the bosses a bit more in the third phase, but still focus on the adds enough to break and disassociate them and put them out of commission.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

NeonPunk posted:

You mentioned that you were using Fire MC right? Their shields are just too tiny for anything imho (including regular SU)

Disagree if you're using Preservation. The interactions it has with Macrosegregation and the blessing that gives you a proportional shield every time you hand out a shield are bonkers.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Kyrosiris posted:

Disagree if you're using Preservation. The interactions it has with Macrosegregation and the blessing that gives you a proportional shield every time you hand out a shield are bonkers.

There are also some Preservation blessings that don't care how much shield your allies have, just that your allies have a shield at all. I believe I had one of those in the run I just posted.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Elation felt more survivable than Abundance. To be fair I have Kafka I guess.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

How the heck lmao I just can't do elation at all. It's far too random and I end up killing some swarm too early and they manage to spawn a fresh one or two

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The 150% chance of freeze on Resonance helped a lot, and by the end it was just doing most of their life in one go, so a Kafka or March ult (which were also considered follow-ups) could finish them off.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011

Thanks to the abundance of abundance advice I managed my first difficulty V run ! Of course I have Blade, Luocha, SW, & Bronya so I'm pretty stacked in terms of synergy with that path.

I did try and do a good amount of runs split between destruction with Blade & Hunt with Seele with no luck. It's just so easy for the path 2 boss to one hit kill your characters without enough preparation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

Thanks to the abundance of abundance advice I managed my first difficulty V run ! Of course I have Blade, Luocha, SW, & Bronya so I'm pretty stacked in terms of synergy with that path.

This is almost the exact same party I've been using, but with Welt in place of SW. Haven't tried 5 yet, though, but I'm pretty sure I would have lost if I did - so far I only have two wins on 4, and during my best run I probably would have lost if it were a bit harder, since the bug's divebombing knocked out around 4/5 of my party's HP.

How did you manage survivability? While I survived (on 4), it was close, and that was with some really nice stuff (specifically Luocha + the "split damage between all party members" blessing is really great for surviving, plus a couple other things like the "reduce damage taken by 8% each time you use a skill point" blessing). I had constant full-heals coming in, but a single dive-bomb thing likely would have killed me (or at least caused a downward spiral due to killing one or two people) if I were one difficulty higher.

Clarste posted:

Elation felt more survivable than Abundance. To be fair I have Kafka I guess.

How did you stay alive? Elation is probably my favorite path, but I feel like I'd just get crushed in the later boss fights.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
idgi I can't get past phase 2 in difficulty IV, everything's just one shotting my maxed out dudes going full abundance

Or am I just unlucky

Edit: is it my "communing trail" levels? Those are all 4-7

acumen fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 12, 2023

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

It’s probably worth noting that in general the resonance buttons are a little weaker in this mode then standard SU. So you are less incentivized to only take one kind of power. For me abundance is great because you get to build an insane portfolio of the best of all the other categories in addition to taking like 6-9 abundance blessings.

Like I think hunt is straight up terrible but it straight up has a ton of the best blessings in the game. So just go abundance and take all of them without the crappy resonance.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah it seems like the biggest advantage to Abundance is that you can simply visit so many more nodes (and without any real downside).

acumen posted:

idgi I can't get past phase 2 in difficulty IV, everything's just one shotting my maxed out dudes going full abundance

Or am I just unlucky

Edit: is it my "communing trail" levels? Those are all 4-7

Luck plays a significant role. I probably only win like 1/4 (if that) of my Abundance runs in difficult IV, despite having a team that should be very well suited to it (Luocha specifically benefits far more than anyone else, since he's basically constantly feeding heals to everyone and procing the various Abundance blessings). It's very easy to get hosed over in some way, like just not coming across many relevant blessings.

I feel like the trail levels shouldn't be making a giant difference. Mine are at around 7 for most paths, and I think the net bonus from them is pretty low; like 10-20% to a bunch of stuff (plus some random goodies like "the first few fights have enemies with only 1% of their health").

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Why go Abundance when you can go Preservation and simply never loving die.

Hail Qlipoth.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Yeah it seems like the biggest advantage to Abundance is that you can simply visit so many more nodes (and without any real downside).

Luck plays a significant role. I probably only win like 1/4 (if that) of my Abundance runs in difficult IV, despite having a team that should be very well suited to it (Luocha specifically benefits far more than anyone else, since he's basically constantly feeding heals to everyone and procing the various Abundance blessings). It's very easy to get hosed over in some way, like just not coming across many relevant blessings.

I feel like the trail levels shouldn't be making a giant difference. Mine are at around 7 for most paths, and I think the net bonus from them is pretty low; like 10-20% to a bunch of stuff (plus some random goodies like "the first few fights have enemies with only 1% of their health").

I feel like luck is less important in Swarm Disaster with the sheer number of blessings and other stuff you get, because it smoothes out luck quite a bit. If you have a general idea of what build you're trying for, you can usually achieve it. It's a bad idea to try to go all-in on your chosen path, and it's a bad idea to spend all your money rerolling to get your resonance right away. Money feels more useful because you can buy specific blessings at the transaction nodes, instead of just getting random stuff. If you see a blessing that is useful, take it over a mediocre blessing of your path.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Genovera posted:

I feel like luck is less important in Swarm Disaster with the sheer number of blessings and other stuff you get, because it smoothes out luck quite a bit. If you have a general idea of what build you're trying for, you can usually achieve it. It's a bad idea to try to go all-in on your chosen path, and it's a bad idea to spend all your money rerolling to get your resonance right away. Money feels more useful because you can buy specific blessings at the transaction nodes, instead of just getting random stuff. If you see a blessing that is useful, take it over a mediocre blessing of your path.

I would pretty frequently get jack poo poo of real value by the end of the first phase, and you're only going to get a grand total of like 15-20 blessings to choose from in the Screwllum shop, so the chances of coming across really important stuff there is low (especially when you account for needing to afford it).

You basically need to meet 2 main criteria by part-way through phase 2:
- Enough DPS to kill bugs*
- Enough survivability to handle the Elites and final boss in phase 2

* I had a very silly run where I was lucky with survival blessings but unlucky with damage, and I was fighting these bugs for over 30 minutes. I think they got at least 20-25 enrage buffs before they finally killed me. I would repeatedly come close to killing them, but they'd always manage to create adds before I could finish them off.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Ytlaya posted:

edit: The "you gain 50 each time you enter a domain but can't get above 500" one actually seems quite nice, though - just need to make sure you give yourself opportunities to spend frequently enough.

I know gambling is fun but that one is just shooting yourself in the foot

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

How did you stay alive? Elation is probably my favorite path, but I feel like I'd just get crushed in the later boss fights.

Mostly freezing and killing them before they kill me. I had a decent amount of HP blessings but primarily relied on not getting hit. Asta did die on the final boss though, luckily it didn't matter.

Edit: And to be fair to Asta, she's wearing like a level 50 LC, lol.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 12, 2023

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

For the bugs, you're not supposed to kill them one by one. You're supposed to attack all of them at the same time and whittle them down so when you kill one it causes a chain explosion that wipes them all out at the same time, finishing the battle.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, you can kill them with minimal dps as long as you spread the damage out.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the 'gotta be at exactly 0 going into the final boss' mission is BULLSHIT

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
It is also very satisfying to watch them explode in a line.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Leraika posted:

the 'gotta be at exactly 0 going into the final boss' mission is BULLSHIT

If you use hunt and use your rerolls and cheat(s) wisely it's not too bad, since hunt lets you skip around and leap forward and stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The mission doesn't require you to win, you can trivially get it just by walking forward and not taking detours?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 12, 2023

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Ytlaya posted:

I would pretty frequently get jack poo poo of real value by the end of the first phase, and you're only going to get a grand total of like 15-20 blessings to choose from in the Screwllum shop, so the chances of coming across really important stuff there is low (especially when you account for needing to afford it).

You basically need to meet 2 main criteria by part-way through phase 2:
- Enough DPS to kill bugs*
- Enough survivability to handle the Elites and final boss in phase 2

* I had a very silly run where I was lucky with survival blessings but unlucky with damage, and I was fighting these bugs for over 30 minutes. I think they got at least 20-25 enrage buffs before they finally killed me. I would repeatedly come close to killing them, but they'd always manage to create adds before I could finish them off.

If you're losing 3/4 of the time with your most invested team on a suitable path, then I think that indicates that you either need more investment in your team or more trail buffs for that difficulty level.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

am I crazy or does Pom-Pom not have their hidden "missions" up quite as often anymore? I used to reliably do 3 a day but now it seems caped at 2?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Never used the downloader in regular su runs, didn’t know it just added a new member to your roster to sub in as you see fit for free.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I suppose it technically could be used to replace people that are dead as well if you don't have the money to revive them but it's pretty cheap anyway so :shrug:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Genovera posted:

yeah maybe this is it. I've just been slam picking anything matching my path like I typically do in SU but especially with the abundance resonance it doesn't seem overly important to my success. I'm also only recently at the point where I've picked up most of the new stuff for jade so I was picking a bunch of unoptimal stuff just because it popped up

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
As it turns out, Destruction Path plus Luocha plus the Abundance blessing that blasts healing is a nutso comp. Only thing I missed was the Abundance blessing that gives extra skill points

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Oof, didn't realise Rememberance copying domains could copy over the last Respite before the Phase 3 boss. I still won but that was a waste of 1000 Fragments!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Excelzior posted:

am I crazy or does Pom-Pom not have their hidden "missions" up quite as often anymore? I used to reliably do 3 a day but now it seems caped at 2?

they saw that i completely ignore them now because of how boring they are

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The worst ones where you had to go somewhere else to do the quest so i just gave up doing them, Pom Pom eternally sulks on the train and gives me Fuel on level ups

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Shame Boy posted:

I suppose it technically could be used to replace people that are dead as well if you don't have the money to revive them but it's pretty cheap anyway so :shrug:

You can also do it if your preferred floor clearing team doesn't match the weaknesses of the last boss.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Oh boy, those'll be fun. :ohdear:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I tried level 5 for the first time. Do enemies get some giant increase to defense? My Blade is suddenly doing trash damage before buffs; like critting for 5000 instead of the ~10000-12000 he normally does. I haven't even been able to get past Phase 1 because I can't do any damage.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ytlaya posted:

I tried level 5 for the first time. Do enemies get some giant increase to defense? My Blade is suddenly doing trash damage before buffs; like critting for 5000 instead of the ~10000-12000 he normally does. I haven't even been able to get past Phase 1 because I can't do any damage.

Damage dealt is based in part on relative level. Enemies higher level than the character take less damage from attacks, and vice-versa. Enemies in level 5 of the Swarm Crisis are higher level than any others in the game, so yes, they take less damage than anything else. They also have commensurately more stats, including defense and HP.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know what owns? Fighting the boss that can counter all Basic Attacks with a powerful AoE and having Blade in your party, who can literally do nothing but Basic Attacks on his turns.

I was actually close to beating the Phase 1 boss that time, but the boss's AoE counter did 3/4 of everyone's health, and Blade couldn't avoid triggering it constantly.

I think part of the issue I'm running into is that it's almost impossible to get 3* blessings in Phase 1, and most Paths hinge on some sort of 3* blessings (for Elation you need the Aftertaste stuff to really start ratching up the damage, for example). I was only able to do decent damage this time by lucking into a ton of useful 1/2* Elation blessings, but got jack poo poo for survival.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

not sure i understand how to get dual resonance or whatever in swarm

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GateOfD posted:

not sure i understand how to get dual resonance or whatever in swarm

have you looked at that page that shows you your current path and what resonances you can get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

got the occurances where i got all my blessings in this torturous run, got all preservation ones, and i'm just res'ing all of kekf'as mind control during the fight naturally lol