Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

They chose the white antlers because they were a symbol of royalty - appropriated for every human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Joe Slowboat posted:

They chose the white antlers because they were a symbol of royalty - appropriated for every human being.

took me a minute to remember whether this was a K6BD thing, a Disco Elysium thing, or a Baru Cormorant thing

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Mile'ionaha posted:

I see it differently.

Suppose you have a post-scarcity economy, you *can* do anything, but what is the limit?

Will.

Like, the human will to get up and do A Thing. Some people can be motivated by the greater good, some by their family, some by Ye Olde Hedonic Treadmill. Megacorps gather up the last category and harness that will to just... do things, do the 9-to-5, and so they have some measure at success simply because they have people doing things, leveraging the tech.

And if it's a post-scarcity society, and you can do what you want, how are you gonna say no to a bunch of people getting together and doing what they want?

Now, obviously, the OUTPUT of a megacorp or the individual actions of people and factions within it may need to be shot down, but it's a balancing act. And I'd wager that, largely, the Union might benefit from a bunch of people motivated to go out and do things, even if those motivations are incredibly backwards.

The purpose of the megacorporation is to accrue "capital," often in the form of money. That's the entire point of its entire existence. It only exists in a capitalist framework, which is itself fundamentally incompatible with a post-scarcity society. Capitalism must have an abused underclass kept docile by the threat of poverty in order to fuel the "number go up" of a small few. Poverty is a state where someone is unable to afford or procure the basic necessities to live. A post-scarcity society means that poverty cannot exist when such basic resources are readily available, meaning that threat of poverty is no longer there for capitalism, and thus megacorporations, to leverage and force people to work.

You are confusing a megacorporation for any generically large organization that's completely capable of fostering the "9-5 grindset" environment. The niche you're trying to fill with a megacorporation can be filled by a non-profit charity, a co-op, or even a government organization. There's nothing special about a megacorporation that means it must exist even in a post-scarcity society.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

they're full on East India Company style quasistate actors starting wars in order to sell weapons and doing all the standard William Gibson megacorp totalitarian horseshit under the Union's aegis, not voluntary affinity groups for people who love roleplaying office workers. A post-scarcity society that provides excellently for citizens within the imperial core and simply does not give a poo poo about anyone else to the extent it'll allow those citizens to take all their super-technology and go play Westworld on the periphery would scan, and I think be a workable reading of the material, but doesn't really square with the idea that that society is also a beacon of hope to all the people getting crushed by its surplus war machines unless you're George W. Bush

there is capital (manna) in the union, it's unclear how that works outside of hiring mercenaries in the aforementioned colonial warzones but whatever even Star Trek had some kind of funny money so people could screw around doing bank robberies and stuff. wouldn't be much of a mech game if you couldn't plan a heist around just picking up a bank and running off with it

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 11, 2023

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
“A post-scarcity society would solve everything” is the stance of people who don’t know that tuberculosis still kills millions every year despite us having a cure for half a century.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 12, 2023

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I assume you mean tuberculosis, because thankfully Ebola doesn't reach millions.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

in a post scarcity society we wouldn't be making quite so many posts

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I assume you mean tuberculosis, because thankfully Ebola doesn't reach millions.
I do, thank you. I'll fix that.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

in a post scarcity society we wouldn't be making quite so many posts

we'd make far more, and they'd be worse

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There is a scarcity of posts in this thread right now.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Does Lancer have cool art? May I see it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

YaketySass posted:

don't think there'd be much Royalty under communism

Under communism, everyone is Royalty.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

YaketySass posted:

don't think there'd be much Royalty under communism

communist royalty is a continuous guillotining motion

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

girl dick energy posted:

“A post-scarcity society would solve everything” is the stance of people who don’t know that tuberculosis still kills millions every year despite us having a cure for half a century.

It wouldn't solve everything but it would solve help poo poo like corporations purposefully raising prices on life-saving medications because their victims have to choose between living or dying. This is like saying "money doesn't make you happy." Sure money doesn't necessarily make you happy but it does get you security in basic necessities so you can afford to spend more time on self-care and happiness.

coolusername posted:

Does Lancer have cool art? May I see it?

Let's start off with the gorgeous cover:

Fun fact: part of Lancer's third party license is if you're creating a spinoff based on it you must have a sick rear end cover or a muscular woman will beat you up*

Now here's some of the sick rear end mechs:

Goblin, a feisty little Size 1/2 hacker

Pegasus, the G̶̡̰̦̐̕u̸͎̼̖̓n̸͎͖̲̈́̒ Mech, where Ǵ̸͇͈̦̝̌̽̕ŭ̸̻̋̍ǹ̴͕̠̓̊̚ is really loving weird

Lich, a creepy pasta in the shape of a mech

Raleigh, the "what if mech was cowboy" mech!

Lancaster, funny dog mech!

Caliban, for if you wanted to play as a living cannonball bullying mechs 4 times your size

Monarch, for all your Macross Missile Massacre cosplay needs

White Witch, for if you wanted to have more armor than god

Barbarossa, for if you wanted to have a ship-mounted weapon as your gun

Enkidu, the subject of many catgirl jokes

Genghis, for if you wanted to play as war crimes

Also not by Abaddon, but Lancer Battlegroup (the space ship spinoff) also has a really loving awesome cover!
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/klnmrK

*This has since been changed but you should still have a sick rear end cover.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

skaianDestiny posted:

Monarch, for all your Macross Missile Massacre cosplay needs

Oh hey that's the one from the "No two targets are not hit by a rocket" meme

Phy fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 12, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
HORUS has the coolest mechs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Phy posted:

Oh hey that's the one from the "No two targets are not hit by a rocket" meme

The best ransom note memes are made by @VexWerewolf, mostly.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

HORUS has the coolest mechs.

Yep. My favorite of theirs is the Kobold. Are you a miner whose strike was brutally crushed and now realize direct action gets the goods? Put the program code you recieved from a strange encrypted email into your mining exosuit and watch it transform into the "Burier of Tyrants."

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Do you drive your mech from inside, Gundam-style or ride on the shoulder in the manner of Giant Robo?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

skaianDestiny posted:

The purpose of the megacorporation is to accrue "capital," often in the form of money. That's the entire point of its entire existence. It only exists in a capitalist framework, which is itself fundamentally incompatible with a post-scarcity society. Capitalism must have an abused underclass kept docile by the threat of poverty in order to fuel the "number go up" of a small few. Poverty is a state where someone is unable to afford or procure the basic necessities to live. A post-scarcity society means that poverty cannot exist when such basic resources are readily available, meaning that threat of poverty is no longer there for capitalism, and thus megacorporations, to leverage and force people to work.

The relevant utopian pillar is:

“Under Union, it is paramount that all humans be afforded the decency of a life in which their basic needs are met. The state must make food, water, shelter, and just labor available to all, and may never deny those rights. To do so is to violate the most basic of social contracts.“

Again, this is from the core book.

If you give this a few moments thought you’ll realise that:

1) This is a wonderful idea and if it was instituted faithfully on Earth today would relieve massive amounts of pain and suffering

2) Says absolutely nothing about equality of material needs being fulfilled and only references basic needs, leaving massive leverage to give people higher quality of life if they perform specific labour, belong to a specific caste, etc. You only define one type of poverty, absolute poverty, and make no consideration of relative poverty which absolutely can be leverage to get people to perform the type of labour required by corprostates.

skaianDestiny posted:

You are confusing a megacorporation for any generically large organization that's completely capable of fostering the "9-5 grindset" environment. The niche you're trying to fill with a megacorporation can be filled by a non-profit charity, a co-op, or even a government organization. There's nothing special about a megacorporation that means it must exist even in a post-scarcity society.

No, they don’t have to exist but under this type of post-scarcity society they don’t have to not exist either. ThirdComm didn’t choose for either the Trade Baronies or Harrison Armory to exist and now that they do exist, what are they going to do about it. Start wars that will kill billions? They could do that, but they’re choosing not to and that’s not exactly inappropriate or unreasonable.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I think it says something about how much the setting of Lancer speaks to people that they are willing to engage with it critically. Ain't nobody doing the worker's-rights version of Faerun.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Raleigh looks suspiciously like Vigilant Gaze on a diet

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And they're certainly attempting the

quote:

The niche you're trying to fill with a megacorporation can be filled by a non-profit charity, a co-op, or even a government organization.

via General Massive Systems.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Raleigh looks suspiciously like Vigilant Gaze on a diet

It does come with a Great Chariot Cannon

(it's in its chest though)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Blackbeard is also a really cool more "standard" type of mech.

Had a campaign where the players rolled in a Goblin, a Blackbeard, a Monarch, as well as a Vlad:

and a Swallowtail:

with the Goblin usually barnacled to the cloaked Swallowtail for shenanigans. They started the campaign working as contractors for a corpostate named General Ultralogistics Network Direct Automated Multidimensional, Inc.

Union is an ideal that's met where Union exists, it's not by any means extant everywhere and Union is well aware that the galaxy is not utopian. It's also trying real hard to avoid repeating the crimes of the out and out fascist SecCom. Which means that they're not willing to start an existential war with the Trade Baronies or Harrison Armory. I'm not sure how that means that they're actually bad.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 12, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
After the last two pages, my headcanon is that the Union in Lancer and in Disco Elysium are the same organization, if only because Mr. Evrart would definitely be onboard with building a gay luxury space communist utopia with plenty of corporate enemies left to fight.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's a little bit silly that Harrison Armory (the most nakedly fascist of the megacorps) mechs are named after conquerors and warlords who have been dead for thousands of years in the setting, with a total societal collapse in between that caused a lot of the historical record to be lost. Surely there's been at least a few noteworthy belligerents to arise in the millennia post-Fall that they could pay homage to.

Yeah I know, there's both lore and metatextual reasons for not naming them after fictional dead people. I just think it's a little funny is all.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Thundarr posted:

It's a little bit silly that Harrison Armory (the most nakedly fascist of the megacorps) mechs are named after conquerors and warlords who have been dead for thousands of years in the setting, with a total societal collapse in between that caused a lot of the historical record to be lost. Surely there's been at least a few noteworthy belligerents to arise in the millennia post-Fall that they could pay homage to.

Yeah I know, there's both lore and metatextual reasons for not naming them after fictional dead people. I just think it's a little funny is all.

It's the same reason nobody in Star Trek seems to appreciate any art, music, stories, etc made after the 20th century. Maybe the next few centuries are just a total cultural deadzone, who knows! :v:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The next few centuries are just going to be 150 years of minecraft voxel art, and will rightfully be memory holed as a real bad time ™

Why? Because we've cut grade school art funding so we can have more "STEM" classes where we give all the kids tablets and do "STEM" things like ????

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

team overhead smash posted:

No, they don’t have to exist but under this type of post-scarcity society they don’t have to not exist either. ThirdComm didn’t choose for either the Trade Baronies or Harrison Armory to exist and now that they do exist, what are they going to do about it. Start wars that will kill billions? They could do that, but they’re choosing not to and that’s not exactly inappropriate or unreasonable.

Lancer is a game about getting a corporate license and downloading a superweapon; anywhere in the galaxy you set your campaign war is already in a state of advancement comparable to Ukraine, Syria, or an American elementary school. You can tell who's winning by looking out the window and seeing whose weapons platforms are still stomping around mopping up holdouts and fighting over spoils

Thundarr posted:

tbf if not required to name it after some contemporary general I can totally see an army dude going for Genghis or Hannibal or whatever but naming your tank Hitler is probably flying too close to the sun

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

I’m just happy “Sherman” is the default HA mech and the most common one besides the one the government gives out for free.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Gonna make it my headcanon that GMS is a worker owned collective.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
is there an "Elon" mech

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
GMS's core intellectual property is a bunch of github dependencies, you can do it yourself, or you can pay them to build an iso for you.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

M_Gargantua posted:

The next few centuries are just going to be 150 years of minecraft voxel art, and will rightfully be memory holed as a real bad time ™

Why? Because we've cut grade school art funding so we can have more "STEM" classes where we give all the kids tablets and do "STEM" things like ????

More likely a lot of kids are going to have a dormant artistic drive go unawakened because they never experience creating art in any capacity that isnt superficial.

Or material circumstances prevent them.
Much more likely.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Every corporation (Except Horus) uses RUNK in their OS, and RUNK is maintained by three guys in the basement at GMS.

*Note that there hasn't been a new security vulnerability discovered in RUNK since 2999 when they closed the NHP one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

YaketySass posted:

is there an "Elon" mech

no, but there's a semi-accurate equivalence to be made between IPS-N and Amazon, so you've got a whole lot of Bezos mechs at least

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

GunnerJ posted:

It's the same reason nobody in Star Trek seems to appreciate any art, music, stories, etc made after the 20th century. Maybe the next few centuries are just a total cultural deadzone, who knows! :v:

Shakespeare is best appreciated in its original Klingon

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Probably worth posting this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's worth throwing out an interview where Miguel and Kai talk about it:

quote:

Why do they let Harrison Armory exist? Why do they let IPS-N exist? IPS-N is like the closest Lancer has to a pure cyberpunk mega-corporation. Of all the corpro-states, they are the least state-like. They basically just exist to make money. They sell guns to anybody who can afford it, and they have a monopoly on interstellar travel. Union has the blink gates, which are the big, faster-than-light transit points, but anything that isn’t connected by a blink gate, you have to use a regular ship to go from point A to point B. IPS-N basically has a monopoly on that.

So this private corporation has all this power. They use it to make money and do lovely capitalistic things. It’s like, why doesn’t Union do something? And it’s like, okay, what does doing something about this look like? What do you want Union to do? Do you want them to go to war with IPS-N? Do you want them to bring out all the navy ships and get into a shooting match? Would that make things better or would it just make things a hell of a lot worse? Because now you’ve killed a bunch of people, first of all, you have probably massively disrupted interstellar trade for millions and billions of people. That’s going to have huge knock-on effects.

What should they do then? What is the actual answer you want? And in Union’s case, the way to fight something like IPS-N would probably be to work to undermine their monopoly, create alternatives, better infrastructure. But that’s the sort of thing that’s going to take a lot of time. It is not going to give the visceral satisfaction of beating the bad guy. And in the meantime, you kind of have to let IPSN exist because you don’t have an answer to that that does not involve running out the guns. And Union does not want to do that. So it is kind of funny that this comes up a lot. Why doesn’t Union wield this tremendous power they have? And you got it exactly right. Because doing that would be awful. It would be a terrible outcome for everybody.

Union’s superpower in the setting is they are strong enough that they could probably win any war once. They have a huge amount of naval firepower, they have a huge amount of military might, and they could probably win a war once. And then after that, they would be in tatters. Whoever they fought would be in tatters and then somebody else would come in and go, oh, this looks like a great chance for me to sweep up the pieces. And now you have the Karrakin Trade Baronies in control of everything for the next 5,000 years or Harrison Armory or somebody else and you have billions of debt, et cetera. It’s a bad situation.

And it's worth reading the rest as well, they cover a lot of the ground of this conversation.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 12, 2023