Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Given recent events that show just how dishonest and unethical Linus and some of the other higher-ups in his company are? Yes, I do think it's rather dumb to assume he's telling the truth about anything at this point in time, at least until there are actual facts to show that he is. It's on LMG to regain people's trust, we're not obligated to assume they're telling the truth about something until proven otherwise.

And again, I will wearily point out for the final time that none of this "picking stuff at random" originated ITT. It started on reddit, go yell at them for making poo poo up (and also the one goon for dragging it in here in the first place, and then getting mad when people didn't immediately 100% agree with them).

Commenting every MacAddress video demanding to see proof that the guy is even a Mac user, because his dress sense alone just isn’t evidence enough in this frenzied climate those charlatans at the top have created

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

Ted Cruz would never sexually harass a woman other than his mother

Isn't that Mike Pence

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't that Mike Pence

No, Pence is the one that calls his wife mother, there's no implication that he's interested in loving either of them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Congress’ #1 Cory Chase fan, Rafael Edward “Radical Ted” Cruz

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Mr Mike "Hands" Pence

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

just because someone lied doesn’t mean everything they say is dishonest. Disreputable, maybe, but dishonest no.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

because forcing compliance on a company which does not wish to honor them is infeasible

I always thought Canada was a bit more western European, law-wise - don’t they have consumer protection laws and government agencies that ream companies that don’t honor warranties?

Is it really that US-like up north there?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

F4rt5 posted:

I always thought Canada was a bit more western European, law-wise - don’t they have consumer protection laws and government agencies that ream companies that don’t honor warranties?

Is it really that US-like up north there?

Pretty much. We also let the lawyers from large communications companies run the regulators for said companies

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It really is America Jr

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na1y7DyDe2w

Steve felt the stream of comments about his "never do firmware updates" in his last dell review since he explained that firmwares weren't in fact bad in this one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It really is America Jr

I like to tell people that Vancouver is just Seattle with healthcare instead of guns and livable wages.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

The Gillman posted:

Pretty much. We also let the lawyers from large communications companies run the regulators for said companies

Aaahh, so no euro-like regulations like, say, a stovetop is most def supposed to last at least five years so businesses are forced to do warranty repairs or replacements for that long. Warranties can only extend the consumer protections, not reduce them.

I get it - USA jr sounds about right :)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

The Gillman posted:

Does Canada have unlimited data on cellphones yet?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Does Canada have unlimited data on cellphones yet?

Oh my no. The best deals are around $1 / GB and then they throttle you after you go over their limit. Everyone changes their prices in lock step so there isn’t much point in switching around unless it’s for deals on phones

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The Gillman posted:

Oh my no. The best deals are around $1 / GB and then they throttle you after you go over their limit. Everyone changes their prices in lock step so there isn’t much point in switching around unless it’s for deals on phones

I imagine some giant sprawling conspiracy with a blood oath involving SiriusXM. My husband and me are probably the only Americans with 7 mile commutes that actually subscribe, two actual real subscriptions with our car stereos and I know they have successfully diversified into connected car backend logistics, but they have a sizable business operation in my city and every time I hear the question asked how they are still a satellite radio business the answer seems to be "loving Canada."

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This would explain why car youtubers The Straight Pipes are really into sirius.

Even here in noted backwater, Australia, we have data plans cheap enough you can commute with spotify just doing it's thing

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I didn't even know Sirius XM still existed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Sirius XM paid Conan $150 mil for his podcast empire a few months back I just learned.

My data plan in canada has not bad data cap but in my area I rarely get to use it because the coverage is poo poo

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

The Gillman posted:

Weird I have unlimited data and throttling I don't notice at all after 15Gb? Certainly less terrible than it used to be..

Blitter fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 12, 2023

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

The Gillman posted:

Jesus you are really getting shafted! Here in France I pay 16€ for 80 GB per month and I'm not even using the cheapest operator :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah the telecom companies in Canada give collusion a bad name. The price fixing is ridiculous.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

priznat posted:

Sirius XM paid Conan $150 mil for his podcast empire a few months back I just learned.

My data plan in canada has not bad data cap but in my area I rarely get to use it because the coverage is poo poo

Man that's all? Conan got a bad deal, then again the empires of networks like Nerdist have long since been pretty dead.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jiro posted:

Man that's all? Conan got a bad deal, then again the empires of networks like Nerdist have long since been pretty dead.

That was the number I heard but I don’t know if it was official. No idea the terms etc. Conan was a guest on the Kara Swisher podcast and I’m about 1/3 of the way through.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

SiriusXM still pays Howard Stern something like $80 million per year and his subscriber numbers have been in decline for a decade.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is a pretty wholesome little series that I have been enjoying. They're building an ISP using the hardware and protocols from the mid-90s with the end goal of building a dial-up ISP.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7qsY2QIYd8PLW1zXVcNFVA_oBqj5hwxy

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

This is a pretty wholesome little series that I have been enjoying. They're building an ISP using the hardware and protocols from the mid-90s with the end goal of building a dial-up ISP.

Watching the T-1 video, I remember back in the late 1990s we had an ISDN line at home, it didn't go through the business services department, regular home Southwestern Bell sold it bundled with their ISP service for a super reasonable price, clearly aimed at consumers. I've always kind of been curious why that didn't become a thing, I remember ordering it and having it installed, it wasn't a ~thing~, it was MAYBE, MAYBE twice as much as a dedicated phone line + internet service but it was always on and obviously over twice as fast, and by the late 90s dedicated phone lines for internet was pretty common and dial up internet wasn't that expensive.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Thanks Ants posted:

Recording the calls to the ISPs asking for a T1 was a nice touch. Would love to see the internal sales chats on the other end of the phone.

"I've got a guy asking for a loving T1. No, I'm not joking. Asked for a literal T1, by name... Why? IDK, maybe some exec just read an old copy of Network World and got excited about business-grade internet or some poo poo."

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Cenodoxus posted:

Recording the calls to the ISPs asking for a T1 was a nice touch. Would love to see the internal sales chats on the other end of the phone.

"I've got a guy asking for a loving T1. No, I'm not joking. Asked for a literal T1, by name... Why? IDK, maybe some exec just read an old copy of Network World and got excited about business-grade internet or some poo poo."

Actually I believe T-1s are actually still pretty common, obviously much less so than they were previously for regular business communication and VPN technology has gotten much better, but they are still a relatively high speed, secure, point-to-point data connection that doesn't necessary ever have to touch the internet, plus they have high uptime and are pretty much universally available, including to a lot of rural areas.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 13, 2023

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

still a relatively high speed...

Relative to what?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I still see the occasional T1 in service from companies who got a really great deal on a full 24 channels for their PBX in 1998.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Relative to what?

Sending letters with the bits in them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

Sending letters with the bits in them.

In theory, while the post may have extremely high latency, its potential bandwidth is unparalleled.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Kazinsal posted:

In theory, while the post may have extremely high latency, its potential bandwidth is unparalleled.

Too much packet loss, unfortunately

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I know for a fact the best Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear servers were hosted on T1 connections

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Three Olives posted:

Watching the T-1 video, I remember back in the late 1990s we had an ISDN line at home, it didn't go through the business services department, regular home Southwestern Bell sold it bundled with their ISP service for a super reasonable price, clearly aimed at consumers. I've always kind of been curious why that didn't become a thing, I remember ordering it and having it installed, it wasn't a ~thing~, it was MAYBE, MAYBE twice as much as a dedicated phone line + internet service but it was always on and obviously over twice as fast, and by the late 90s dedicated phone lines for internet was pretty common and dial up internet wasn't that expensive.

There was a similar thing here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Highway) but cable modems and ADSL became a thing a long time before internet access reached 50% of households so a lot of people would have jumped straight over it.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007
I used an ISDN line at home when I was a teenager. All of my friends had ADSL, but we lived a little too remotely, and no ISP was willing to offer us an ADSL service. Apparently, we were a few kilometers outside the maximum radius from the exchange, or something.

Eventually, I found an ISP that was willing to enable our line for ADSL to see what would happen, and the service was really good. I don't miss our ISDN modem blowing up every time there was a thunderstorm nearby.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The guy behind TenFourFox was self-hosting his vintage computing site over a T1 line until last year when his ISP discontinued the service: http://oldvcr.blogspot.com/2022/05/so-long-home-t1-line-hello-hacking-t1.html

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Jamus posted:

I used an ISDN line at home when I was a teenager. All of my friends had ADSL, but we lived a little too remotely, and no ISP was willing to offer us an ADSL service. Apparently, we were a few kilometers outside the maximum radius from the exchange, or something.

Eventually, I found an ISP that was willing to enable our line for ADSL to see what would happen, and the service was really good. I don't miss our ISDN modem blowing up every time there was a thunderstorm nearby.

Haha I had a mate whose ISDN box blew up every thunderstorm. Did people crash into elks a lot outside your place too?

e: I love modern fiber with IPv6 though. So easy to just make your server [your /64prefix]::d3ad:b33f or something, and be able to access it from anywhere with gigabit speeds. If your ISP have proper IPv6 support, that is.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 13, 2023

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
When we still had cable it would go out every time it rained, and at least once every other year someone would crash into what I am assuming was a transformer for part of our neighborhood which of course took down the internet for a few days. It's surrounded by bigger bollards now.

The funny thing is power to the houses would be restored in less than a day, but the internet was out for typically 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My university's Internet in 2004 was via 6 T1 lines. I know this because my roommate figured how to overcome all of their attempts to stop him from using the entire connection for BitTorrent and was very proud