Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Rclone has a good write-up on exporting your Google Photos properly - I'm pretty sure your photos no longer have EXIF location data though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Took me a few YouTube tutorials, but figured out how to do the "Watch Me Do", create an application, then create a calendar event that launches it daily. Thanks!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

TraderStav posted:

I am confident that there are not any meaningful duplicates, at least not structurally. Could just be multiples of photos from prior photo management attempts, nothing worth taking into consideration though. There WILL be duplicates in subdirectory names though, if that's something I need to consider.

I am comfortable with terminal, just not wholly originating commands like the above. I'll give that a go. I am planning to backup all of the individual directories to my homelab prior to running the command, so it's not an all or nothing thing. Will give this a go!

Appreciate all the input on this.

E: Ooooh, I just realized that I do not have assurance that Google did not repeat file names... so perhaps a pastebin of the perl script would be helpful to account for that.

https://pastebin.com/c0cV0dkX

The idea behind this script is to first go through all the files calculating a MD5 hash of the first 32KB. This allows it to generate a candidate list of possible dupes very quickly, then in a second pass, it does full byte-by-byte comparisons of any files whose hashes match.

It won't delete anything unless you pass it one of the deletion switches on the command line. I recommend starting out by passing it no switches and just pointing it at the top level directory you want to examine. When you do tell it to delete things, it does not ask for confirmation and the files it deletes are sent straight to hell, not the trashcan.

I wasn't the original author, this is a significant rewrite of someone else's script. My goal was to make it faster when processing huge numbers of files - that's why my version does the two-pass thing, because reading just the first 32KB of each file in pass 1 is lots faster than the whole file. This was probably more important back when I did it, because at the time, SSDs weren't really a thing. Along the way I also added some features to detect truncated and similar files, which are features you probably won't care about. (They're also not perfect because I didn't need them to be.) In case you might find the original more useful for your needs, here it is:

https://hayne.net/MacDev/Perl/findDupeFiles

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think this is quite a tech support question, more one about macOS behaviour, but let me know if I should post in Haus instead.)

I have been copying a decent amount of data (>100GB) from a Mac laptop’s main APFS filesystem to a USB key that was formatted to exFAT by this Mac. While trying to monitor the progress (macOS doesn’t have watch?) I discovered that the number of files returned by ls on the USB key was jumping around weirdly. I set up a loop to compare echo * with ls and got the weirdness here:

(There is one file name with a space in it but that should be handled the same by both bash globbing and ls anyway in terms of what wc -w sees. And it’s varying in ways that can’t be explained by name splitting!)

The copy process is a single cp -rXp that preserved timestamps on one USB key when rsync -a didn’t, and then didn’t preserve them on another key, but that’s a different mystery.

OS is 13.0, no weird betas or anything.

I then sampled ls -l nine times with a second delay between them, and got these results:

The files with the same size are identical, and the shorter ones are proper prefixes of the longer ones.

Another goon put direct I/O in my head in that maybe ls is using it and not seeing buffered writes, but that doesn’t really explain the reported file set shrinking. Maybe ls is seeing the directory blocks in an inconsistent state, but exFAT’s directory structure is pretty simple and I would expect this write pattern to just append new entries.

Anyone have thoughts about this? I used to work on Linux filesystems a long time ago but I don’t know the macOS VFS stuff at all.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Anyone have thoughts about this? I used to work on Linux filesystems a long time ago but I don’t know the macOS VFS stuff at all.

Comedy answer: learn another VFS!

https://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-7195.81.3/bsd/vfs/

real answer: I think Apple's exFAT driver is a toy which they don't pay enough attention to. Probably file a bug on it? Which you'll never hear any response on.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, with Apple, 'not invented here' also stands for 'half-hearted support here.'

See also: SMB (which manages to get mangled with every new OS release) and the USB stack from El Capitan to oh, Mojave.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BobHoward posted:

real answer: I think Apple's exFAT driver is a toy which they don't pay enough attention to. Probably file a bug on it? Which you'll never hear any response on.

I created a radar for a weird 56K modem bug in like 10.1 and sometime around 10.7 I got an email saying it had been fixed.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

~Coxy posted:

I created a radar for a weird 56K modem bug in like 10.1 and sometime around 10.7 I got an email saying it had been fixed.

Radar being hidden to the public is a feature, not a bug

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Well that’s true but why are we talking about a 56K modem?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eightysixed posted:

Well that’s true but why are we talking about a 56K modem?

Because we are old.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

~Coxy posted:

By the way happy 20th anniversary of your avatar

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You remembered :unsmith:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

~Coxy posted:

You remembered :unsmith:

Honestly your avatar was how I found out they removed that sass back then. It was the precursor of getting news from a Tweet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

BobHoward posted:

https://pastebin.com/c0cV0dkX

The idea behind this script is to first go through all the files calculating a MD5 hash of the first 32KB. This allows it to generate a candidate list of possible dupes very quickly, then in a second pass, it does full byte-by-byte comparisons of any files whose hashes match.

It won't delete anything unless you pass it one of the deletion switches on the command line. I recommend starting out by passing it no switches and just pointing it at the top level directory you want to examine. When you do tell it to delete things, it does not ask for confirmation and the files it deletes are sent straight to hell, not the trashcan.

I wasn't the original author, this is a significant rewrite of someone else's script. My goal was to make it faster when processing huge numbers of files - that's why my version does the two-pass thing, because reading just the first 32KB of each file in pass 1 is lots faster than the whole file. This was probably more important back when I did it, because at the time, SSDs weren't really a thing. Along the way I also added some features to detect truncated and similar files, which are features you probably won't care about. (They're also not perfect because I didn't need them to be.) In case you might find the original more useful for your needs, here it is:

https://hayne.net/MacDev/Perl/findDupeFiles

How does it handle the dupes once it finds them? Does it rename them to something unique? I couldn't care less about the file names themselves.

Having never run a perl script before, is it as simple as just running a command in terminal if it's already set up by default in macOS or are there preceding steps I need to look into?

Thank you for this.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

MarcusSA posted:

Because we are old.

Fair point :v:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Well, it's official.

macOS Sonoma will be officially released September 26th, two Tuesdays from now.

Sonoma just got upgraded to Release Candidate, build 23A339.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Binary Badger posted:

Well, it's official.

macOS Sonoma will be officially released September 26th, two Tuesdays from now.

Sonoma just got upgraded to Release Candidate, build 23A339.

How is it looking in terms of day 1 release/install? Usually I try to wait until at least the .1 release before upgrading, but I’m not a big fan of Ventura, though I’m assuming it doesn’t undo any of the UI changes that Ventura implemented.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

SourKraut posted:

How is it looking in terms of day 1 release/install? Usually I try to wait until at least the .1 release before upgrading, but I’m not a big fan of Ventura, though I’m assuming it doesn’t undo any of the UI changes that Ventura implemented.
I've been using Sonoma since the first Public Beta and honestly haven't had any issues at all on my M2 Air. Just installed the latest build (23A339 as mentioned above). Of course this is just one user's experience, but this is my primary computer and it's been extremely solid.

I technically work in a Windows environment and have a piece of poo poo (although high-spec) Windows laptop I can use if poo poo goes awry but so far it hasn't come up. I mostly just remote desktop into my "real" dev computer and use Mac OS for everything else so it would have been annoying, but not truly problematic if something critical was broken.

edit: I also install bleeding edge insider preview poo poo on my Windows system and that is 100000% more chaotic than any Mac OS beta I've ever used.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 12, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So I have an M2 Mac Mini that I’m trying to connect to my DisplayPort KVM, but I can’t get it to detect the USB-C-to-DisplayPort cable I just got. I skimmed Console.app’s logs and didn’t see anything, but I don’t really know how to diagnose USB stuff on macOS. Anyone know how I might proceed? I’m not sure I have anything else to test the cable with, but I’ve tried different Thunderbolt ports on the back. I don’t have (or want, ideally) a display connected via HDMI, so I hope it doesn’t require a primary display there…

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

SourKraut posted:

Welp, on both a 2018 and last-gen 2020 Intel rMBP it's been fairly solid since I'd say Developer Beta 3. Nope, most UI is nearly same as Ventura, except System Settings is still byzantine and oddly horrible, its like Hair Force One wiped a printout of the Apple Human Interface Guidelines on his butt while supervising the UI team.

Only hiccups I've had are with some older OpenGL games glitching, and Safari video playback on an 8 GB machine was stuttery, to me it feels Apple did some code tightening in RC because the same videos that were stuttering before don't now.

Also, printing was crapped out but I haven't been able to test RC with a few laser printers yet.

In some of the previous betas I saw TB written to the SSD hit like 6-7 TB but they got it in control in beta 7.

If they just decided to distribute RC as 14.0 I would not find that objectionable.

I believe most of the foundational Apple apps have been totally or partially rewritten in Swift which accounts for how 'crisp' the new OS feels. I wouldn't go so far as to call it the Snow Leopard of modern macOS, and as I stated before I haven't tested it on any Apple Silicon, but it would be an appropriate swan song for the Intel Macs (that it supports.)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 13, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Binary Badger posted:

I believe most of the foundational Apple apps have been totally or partially rewritten in Swift which accounts for how 'crisp' the new OS feels. I wouldn't go so far as to call it the Snow Leopard of modern macOS, and as I stated before I haven't tested it on any Apple Silicon, but it would be an appropriate swan song for the Intel Macs (that it supports.)

How does it stack up vs Monterey, specifically?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

TraderStav posted:

How does it handle the dupes once it finds them? Does it rename them to something unique? I couldn't care less about the file names themselves.

Having never run a perl script before, is it as simple as just running a command in terminal if it's already set up by default in macOS or are there preceding steps I need to look into?

How to run it: make a plain text file, paste the script into it, then use 'chmod +x' on the script to make it executable. You can now run it just like it's a regular command line program.

It has built in help, just run it without any arguments and it will print it out. The default option is to do nothing beyond printing a list of the dupes found. If you pass the appropriate switch argument listed in the help, it will delete them too. I didn't write anything for rename, so that option doesn't exist.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Two quick MacOS questions that have been bugging me for a bit now:

Is there a quick way to change or code audio output device switching? My AirPods will connect and switch to my iPad/Phone if I check them while using my laptop (as they should) but I can't find a means to quickly return "focus" to the laptop beyond using the GUI. Alfred has a workflow that does this fairly well, but it's more geared towards actually connecting the Pods via bluetooth so you usually have to run it twice if the pods are connected but not the selected option.

Also, I'll occasionally get app updates that need installing that don't show up in the updates tab of the app store? What's up with that? Does it only poll for changes every so often and I'm just getting wind of it too soon?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Warbird posted:

Two quick MacOS questions that have been bugging me for a bit now:

Is there a quick way to change or code audio output device switching? My AirPods will connect and switch to my iPad/Phone if I check them while using my laptop (as they should) but I can't find a means to quickly return "focus" to the laptop beyond using the GUI. Alfred has a workflow that does this fairly well, but it's more geared towards actually connecting the Pods via bluetooth so you usually have to run it twice if the pods are connected but not the selected option.

Also, I'll occasionally get app updates that need installing that don't show up in the updates tab of the app store? What's up with that? Does it only poll for changes every so often and I'm just getting wind of it too soon?

AirPods switching has always been bit iffy previously, but the new OS update (RC has just been released on the beta branch) makes it much more reliable. I haven't had to use the menu bar to connect to the earbuds since updating - now, if I have my AirPods in, it'll switch from my phone as soon as I try and play audio on my laptop and vice versa.. You may also need to update your other devices to iOS 17, but PCs have gone out today for them if you opt into the beta.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh that's good to hear, thanks! I'm still not thrilled that I'll be losing the Shortcuts app for this update but everything else sounds pretty good.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I'm on the update and I still have the shortcuts app.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, wait what? I didn’t think shortcuts was going away? They just introduced it in Monterey (? I think)

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, wait what? I didn’t think shortcuts was going away? They just introduced it in Monterey (? I think)
It was even featured in the Apple presentation yesterday for use with the side button on the Pro. It's not going away.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Why does "softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer 'macOS Sonoma beta, Version: 14.-'" keep downloading loving Monterey for some reason.
I just want an installer to put on USB of the release candidate aaugh

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

SRQ posted:

Why does "softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer 'macOS Sonoma beta, Version: 14.-'" keep downloading loving Monterey for some reason.
I just want an installer to put on USB of the release candidate aaugh

https://github.com/ninxsoft/Mist

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The full RC installer isn't available yet on Apple's servers..

You can only use Software Update from a previous beta at the moment.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

The full RC installer isn't available yet on Apple's servers..

You can only use Software Update from a previous beta at the moment.

Well that bones, it shows up when I do a search for it though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nothing stopping you from downloading beta 7 and running the upgrade, is there?

Anyway, Mullvad VPN is reporting that Sonoma betas and RC breaks their VPN app:

https://mullvad.net/en/blog/2023/9/13/bug-in-macos-14-sonoma-prevents-our-app-from-working/

They also go on to say that Apple's packet filter is buggy as hell at the moment.

So I dunno, maybe you wanna hold off until Apple puts Sonoma back in the oven to cook a bit more..

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

i've had to take the plung on sonoma and speed up testing to make sure all the sso stuff works and fortunately everything is working the same. Blissfully, anyconnect worked just fine.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The one thing we found on the public beta is that if you’re running Jamf Connect make absolutely sure you’ve got it set to deploy 2.27 (which has been released to production now) ahead of time. Anything older than 2.27 will result in the screen going black a second after Jamf Connect’s login screen comes up.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I will say having dubai as my background is weird as all hell. Slightly weirder to have the apple tv style videos playing on the login screen.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/ibrdik/status/1700265050987204699

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmao

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey so if you click the desktop in the new MacOS, these semitransparent borders appear and outline the background. What the hell is this? Can I get it to stop doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yes.