Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sobatchja Morda posted:

In my mind, the motorbike was midair after a sweet jump.

I don't think I like this director's cut of the Great Escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Samovar posted:

I don't think I like this director's cut of the Great Escape.

Catch-22 also has a pretty brutal death by airplane :ohno:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rappaport posted:

Catch-22 also has a pretty brutal death by airplane :ohno:

So it goes

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like the ending of M*A*S*H was definitely inspired by this kind of thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When the germans drafted my grandpa, his first captain apparently died by riding his motorcycle drunk and crashing into a russian farmhouse trying to do tricks. This after surviving months of combat as an infantry officer in the eastern front.

gently caress him for being a nazi officer but also, respect to a real one

E: hey, come to think of it he did kill one more nazi than my grandfather.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Sep 11, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When the germans drafted my grandpa, his first captain apparently died by riding his motorcycle drunk and crashing into a russian farmhouse trying to do tricks. This after surviving months of combat as an infantry officer in the eastern front.

gently caress the captain, what tricks did the farmhouse try to do? I'm guessing it was one of these models? (Known in Russian as Джонуик.)

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Sobatchja Morda posted:

In my mind, the motorbike was midair after a sweet jump.

same, in my head it’s an Evel Knievel stunt gone horribly awry

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think combining millions of young men who already have death defying jobs as soldiers in a massive war plus access to machinery and weaponry and general macho atmosphere probably led to all sorts of wild risky madness.

When Grandpa surrendered, he did so as a whole unit of anti-tank gunners with a lot of their hardware. He said the Allied soldiers got ahold of the AT guns and shot off the ammo for kicks at a bunch of abandoned vehicles. Hollywood movies cast them so old in WW2 flicks that it is easy to forget how a lot of these guys are basically poorly supervised teenagers.

As for the Plane vs Motorcycle, I imagine the plane was basically gonna crash anyway if the pilot was going low enough, the bike just may have been the first thing it ran into. Grandpa told me this story at an air show when I saw the fighter planes buzzing over us and asked how low they could really fly.

Mr. Grapes! has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Sep 11, 2023

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

general ripper dot gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl-aUbN3b5c&t=65s

E. There's ones lower but, first better-than-potato one i found

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 21:21 on Sep 11, 2023

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Robert Leckie recorded that 25 men were killed away from the front lines at Cape Gloucester by collapsing trees caused by a prior artillery barrage. That always seemed like a bastard of a thing to happen to you.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

gently caress the captain, what tricks did the farmhouse try to do? I'm guessing it was one of these models? (Known in Russian as Джонуик.)

Picture me yelling at the kid on the porch like Linda Hamilton in the playground in T2

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alas, war cannot be like that British troop who were filmed off their tits on LSD for research purposes.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Samovar posted:

Alas, war cannot be like that British troop who were filmed off their tits on LSD for research purposes.

Commanded by those Czech generals, off their tits for similar reasons

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phy posted:

Picture me yelling at the kid on the porch like Linda Hamilton in the playground in T2

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hell yeah get him

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Hell yeah get him

What do you have against Tykylevits?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hard to spell

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I think combining millions of young men who already have death defying jobs as soldiers in a massive war plus access to machinery and weaponry and general macho atmosphere probably led to all sorts of wild risky madness.

When Grandpa surrendered, he did so as a whole unit of anti-tank gunners with a lot of their hardware. He said the Allied soldiers got ahold of the AT guns and shot off the ammo for kicks at a bunch of abandoned vehicles. Hollywood movies cast them so old in WW2 flicks that it is easy to forget how a lot of these guys are basically poorly supervised teenagers.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hard to spell

:hai:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I always think of this picture of American marine Eugene Sledge fighting in the Pacific to remind myself that most of them were basically little boys.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kenning posted:

I always think of this picture of American marine Eugene Sledge fighting in the Pacific to remind myself that most of them were basically little boys.

I find this one ironic because you’re not wrong but Eugene Sledge is such an action movie protagonist name

Also, I figure ever since one human came up with the idea of hitting another with a stick, soldiers have been blowing off steam by using phallic-shaped weapons to stand in for ginormous weiners

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Joe Mazzello was still good casting there, honestly.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

There's an unsigned ship's log from 1715 in the Danish Royal Library, and they've now by comparing with other ship's logs identified it as one from Løvendals Galej captained by Dano-Norwegian hero Tordenskjold during the Great Northern War.

Here's a fun anecdote from 1714 about his exploits on that very ship:

quote:

In 1714, Wessel was court-martialled after an indecisive sea battle with a Swedish frigate. The account of the incident is verified by the legal proceedings from November 1714. On 26 July 1714, he encountered a frigate under British flag near Lindesnes, while flying a Dutch flag on the Løvendals Gallej himself. The other frigate was De Olbing Galley carrying 28 guns, which had been equipped in Great Britain for the Swedes and was on its way to Gothenburg under the command of a British captain named Bactmann. De Olbing Galley signalled for Løvendals Gallej to come closer, and as Wessel raised the Danish flag, Bactmann fired a broadside at him.[5] In the British captain, Wessel met a tough match.[4] The combat lasted all day, and when De Olbing Galley tried to escape in the evening, Wessel set more sails and continued the duel.[5] The fight was interrupted by nightfall, and renewed again indecisively the following morning.[4] Both ships were badly damaged after around 14 hours of fighting, when Wessel was running out of ammunition. He then sent an envoy to the British ship, cordially thanking the British for a good duel, and asked if he could borrow some of their ammunition in order to continue the fight. His request was denied, and the captains drank to each other's health, before the ships dispersed.[5][6]

When he heard about the incident, king Frederick IV of Denmark asked for the admiralty to court-martial Wessel.[3] He stood trial in November 1714, accused of disclosing vital military information about his lack of ammunition to the enemy, as well as endangering the ship of king Frederick IV by fighting a superior enemy force.[5] The spirit with which he defended himself and the contempt he poured on his less courageous comrades took the fancy of Frederick IV.[4] He successfully argued a section of the Danish naval code which mandated attacking fleeing enemy ships no matter the size, and was acquitted on 15 December 1714. He then went to the king asking for a promotion, and was raised to the rank of captain on 28 December 1714.[5]

Anyway, the log has sheet music in it, which the National Archives commissioned a neat recording of:

https://dreambroker.com/channel/4tdqf6mb/20yjyg04/get/normal.mp4

https://www.rigsarkivet.dk/nyheder/300-aar-gamle-noder-kan-foeres-tilbage-til-tordenskiolds-skib/

e: the text in the image appears to be someone practicing different ways of writing Psalms 23 (the lord is my shepherd) but i dont think theyre lyrics. melody is way too upbeat imo

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Sep 15, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's a Norwegian saying "Tordenskjold's soldiers" which is based on a story about him. According to the story Tordenskjold didn't have enough soldiers to take a swedish fortress in 1719. So he got the governor of a nearby Town drink and marched his soldiers up and down the streetsko. The governor then reporter to the commander of the fortress how big Tordenskjold's army was. The commander then surrendered. So when someone in Norway calls a group "Tordenskjold's soldiers" it means that it's smaller/less important thsn they seem.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

streetsko

OK I hate this Babylonian poo poo. Either write gatusko or street shoe, thank you.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

There's a Norwegian saying "Tordenskjold's soldiers" which is based on a story about him. According to the story Tordenskjold didn't have enough soldiers to take a swedish fortress in 1719. So he got the governor of a nearby Town drink and marched his soldiers up and down the streetsko. The governor then reporter to the commander of the fortress how big Tordenskjold's army was. The commander then surrendered. So when someone in Norway calls a group "Tordenskjold's soldiers" it means that it's smaller/less important thsn they seem.

The way I heard it was he walked the governor by his soldiers who were standing at attention, but when they passed a unit or company, they ran up by side streets to the front of the line so it seemed like he had 10x the troops he actually had. Whatever works lol

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

"Blowback" takes on new meaning.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Carthag Tuek posted:

There's an unsigned ship's log from 1715 in the Danish Royal Library, and they've now by comparing with other ship's logs identified it as one from Løvendals Galej captained by Dano-Norwegian hero Tordenskjold during the Great Northern War.

Here's a fun anecdote from 1714 about his exploits on that very ship:

Anyway, the log has sheet music in it, which the National Archives commissioned a neat recording of:

https://dreambroker.com/channel/4tdqf6mb/20yjyg04/get/normal.mp4

https://www.rigsarkivet.dk/nyheder/300-aar-gamle-noder-kan-foeres-tilbage-til-tordenskiolds-skib/

e: the text in the image appears to be someone practicing different ways of writing Psalms 23 (the lord is my shepherd) but i dont think theyre lyrics. melody is way too upbeat imo

Being mentioned by name in the national anthems of two countries is quite an achievement.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zopotantor posted:

Being mentioned by name in the national anthems of two countries is quite an achievement.

thats how badass he was

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So the discussion from a few pages ago that inspired the current thread subtitle reminded me of the interesting history of halos of light in religious iconography and how much interpretations have differed and evolved over the ages, e.g. Moses being depicted as having horns during the Renaissance or modern pop culture halos being golden donuts above people's heads.

A particularly funny example of the evolution of Christian halos away from rays of light behind someone's head into some sort of abstract quasi-headpiece.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Another name for that golden disk around saints' heads is "areola".

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

So what's the relation between halos around people's heads and Jesus's foreskin ascending to Heaven with him to become the rings of Saturn? Round things are cool, says God?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I don't think there's much of a overlap. The halos becoming disks is an art thing (medieval art loved simplifying things and putting gold leaf on important art elements), and the divine prepuce was associated with the rings of Saturn in the 17th century. Before then it was just another relic, like the true cross and whatnot.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zopotantor posted:

And he did it all before he was thirty. In 1720 Jacob Axel Staël von Holstein challenged him to a duell with rapiers after an argument. Tordenskiold had little experience with rapiers and after a few seconds he was killed by von Holstein. In his pocket was a portrait of a Ms. Norris and a note saying she was worth 80 000 pounds, no one has been able to figure out who she was. He was buried at night and his coffin put in the church cellar, the church refused to perform the last rites. In 1816 king Frederik 6th decided that his remains should be moved from the cellar to a marble sarcophagus. Again the church refused to perform the last rites. In 1995, 275 years after his death, the church finally gave up and performed his last rites.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

It took me some time to realise that you are talking about "the really smug guy on matchboxes" that I always chuckled at when I lived in Denmark. I had no idea he was a national hero, lmao

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Those look like some goodass matches

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Philippe posted:

Another name for that golden disk around saints' heads is "areola".

Isn't it aureola?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah it is. I made a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

barbecue at the folks posted:

It took me some time to realise that you are talking about "the really smug guy on matchboxes" that I always chuckled at when I lived in Denmark. I had no idea he was a national hero, lmao

Tordenskiold was a really smug guy though. He once captured a ship called Vita Örn (the White Eagle in swedish) and renamed it Hvide Ørn (the White Eagle in danish) to make sure the swede realized how good he was every time they saw his ship. It was onboard Hvide Ørn that he encountered the swedish ship Øsel. He hailed the ship pretending to be swedish and the captain of the ship said he didn't know who he was. Tordenskjold's answer was "if you don't know who I am, i'm drat sure going to show you now" and fired his ship's canons.