Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

kirbysuperstar posted:

It was the age of StarForce, TAGES, FADE, etc yeah

I lost a DVD-RW to that loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
There's still booth babes at video game conventions so it's not exactly a relic of the ancient past. Although certainly far less prevalent.

Hell, TGS starts next week.

Hogama posted:

I guess the upshot of all this is that now that people know what's going on they've been able to provide clean patches so people can play their Steam copies of Manhunt on modern systems, but there's still nothing official from Rockstar fixing their products.

I would imagine they'll delist it at some point similar to Midnight Club 2 and never fix it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Embracer mess continues: GameDeveloper reports layoffs at Rainbow Studios (MX vs ATV Legends), and Reuters has heard whispers that they're considering selling Gearbox.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

The Kins posted:

The Embracer mess continues: GameDeveloper reports layoffs at Rainbow Studios (MX vs ATV Legends), and Reuters has heard whispers that they're considering selling Gearbox.

Duke's back, baby!
:dukedog:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

absolute clowns

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

I haven't followed it closely, but did Embracer just go on an acquisition spree and now is suddenly hemmoraging cash and gutting their studios?

I remember hearing rumors about being financed by Saudi oil wealth, I don't think that was ever confirmed.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

pentyne posted:

I haven't followed it closely, but did Embracer just go on an acquisition spree and now is suddenly hemmoraging cash and gutting their studios?

I remember hearing rumors about being financed by Saudi oil wealth, I don't think that was ever confirmed.

That was exactly it. They thought they had Saudi Arabia money in the bag and went on an acquisition spree, then the Saudi Arabia deal fell through and they're basically shutting down and selling as much as they can to make money back.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pentyne posted:

you have it backwards - they went on an acquisition spree expecting to be financed by Saudi oil wealth. the deal fell through and now they’re burning all those studios for warmth

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There’s a lot of cool little indie studios tied up in Embracer :ohdear:

So far they are just decimating underperforming studios which is ruining people’s livelihoods, but I’m selfishly happy that they haven’t touched the Valheim devs yet

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

My read on the situation is that Embracer acted on the expectations of receiving some gigantic windfall (either through financers or through expected value from acquisitions) that never remotely materialized, and nothing released under their umbrella so far has come even remotely close to being a hit. (Except Valheim, kinda.) They've spent a lot of money on a whole lotta turkeys and I'm not sure Payday 3 or Space Marine 2 are gonna be the games that reverse those fortunes.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Oxxidation posted:

you have it backwards - they went on an acquisition spree expecting to be financed by Saudi oil wealth. the deal fell through and now they’re burning all those studios for warmth

In a couple months I expect the Saudis to buy embracer for the IP for pennies on the dollar.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fruits of the sea posted:

There’s a lot of cool little indie studios tied up in Embracer :ohdear:

They basically bought up the entire second tier development world, seemingly expecting Saints Row (a series that hadn’t been relevant for a decade) and Lord of the Rings to carry them. They were very sure to confirm when shutting down Volition that they were keeping the Volition IP. They’re also not publishing the new Tomb Raider even though they own Crystal Dynamics, so they might just be shutting down most internal development and becoming an IP licensing house.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol Embracer owns Dark Horse, Asmodee, and Limited Run

criminally incompetent corpo scumlord shitheads are about to go on a kill streak

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Isn't Embracer a rebrand of THQ Nordic, of 2chan fame?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Isn't Embracer a rebrand of THQ Nordic, of 2chan fame?
no, thq nordic is a subsidiary of them. embracer group used to be named thq nordic, but the thq nordic that did the 8chan AMA wasn't originally thq nordic. yes, this is confusing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
8chan is the QAnon/school shooter one, 2chan is the Japanese one.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

How the hell do they have 16,600 employees according to Wikipedia and barely any games released.

I know it's not on the boardgame side because it was already being cut to the bone when it was owned by Asmodee.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quixotic1 posted:

How the hell do they have 16,600 employees according to Wikipedia and barely any games released.

I know it's not on the boardgame side because it was already being cut to the bone when it was owned by Asmodee.

Dont anyone tell this guy about Star Citizen!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Embracer is some kind of massive holding/investment company or something, that's spent the last decade or whatever buying god knows how many studios and publishers. Back when I listened to the Bombcast before it effectively died I swear like every other week there was news that Embracer had brought someone else, and the early discussion was always "what is the Embracer Group?"

Veotax fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 11, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

embracer group's been like this from minute one. they started out as a small game retail chain in sweden, then that went under, then they reformed as a 'supplier.' they'd buy unsold stock from EA, THQ, etc, and then sell those on themselves to bulk swedish retailers like ICA and Coop, places that don't normally sell games. they'd price the games cheap but still amke a profit off them, and theyd usually be stuff that'd probably move units to casual consumers if sold cheaply enough, like sports games. then with that supply chain established, they bought and contracted some small european studios to make crap wii cashins like we sing and stuck it places normal people would see them. then they used the money from that to buy more small studios, etc etc.

their strategy's always been to buy stuff on the cheap and then abandon it if it fails to return a profit. this was a sustainable strategy for wii party games, not so much aaa experiences, but of course nobody's going to tell their investors that.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

lol Embracer owns Dark Horse, Asmodee, and Limited Run

criminally incompetent corpo scumlord shitheads are about to go on a kill streak

Oof, I didn't know they bought LRG. I don't really care about LRG one way or the other, but they employ a bunch of people I like.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Quixotic1 posted:

I'm gonna quote this post from the games chat thread. They own a loving lot including some very recent games like Remnant 2.

The 7th Guest posted:

a reminder of just some of the developers Embracer owns:

- Gunfire Games (Remnant II)
- 4A Games (Metro series)
- Crystal Dynamics (Tomb Raider series, Avengers, upcoming Perfect Dark remake)
- Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex series, GOTG game)
- Piranha Bytes (ELEX, Gothic, Risen)
- Dambuster Studios (Chorvs, Dead Island 2)
- Coffee Stain (Satisfactory, Goat Simulator, publishers of Huntdown and Valheim)
- Ghost Ship (Deep Rock Galactic)
- Free Radical (TimeSplitters)
- DigixArt (Road 96, 11-11 Memories Untold)
- Flying Wild Hog (Shadow Warrior series, Evil West)
- Bugbear Entertainment (Wreckfest)
- Black Forest (Giana Sisters, Destroy All Humans remasters, TMNT The Last Ronin)
- Warhorse (Kingdom Come: Deliverance)
- Tarsier Studios (Little Nightmares series)
- Saber Interactive (Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, Gloomhaven)
- 3D Realms (the entire Apogee library, and publishers of Cultic, Wrath Aeon of Ruin, and other retro shooters)
- Beamdog (MythForce, all those Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale remasters)
- New World Interactive (Insurgency: Sandstorm)
- Irongate Slipworks (Phantom Fury, Graven, Kingpin: Reloaded)
- Snapshot Games (Phoenix Point)
- Tripwire Interactive (Killing Floor series, Maneater)
- Zen Studios (Pinball FX)
- Asmodee (Board/tabletop game publisher)
- Limited Run Games (all those physical versions of indie hits,
- Middle-Earth Enterprises (owns the rights to the LOTR and Hobbit franchises)

oh yeah and they also own Dark Horse Comics

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

njsykora posted:

I'm gonna quote this post from the games chat thread. They own a loving lot including some very recent games like Remnant 2.

Why is Free Radical on there? They haven't been called that since 2009 and their current name is already on the list

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Isn't a big chunk of those from a SquareEnix fire sale as a result of their disastrous foray into NFTs?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

They sold Eidos & Crystal D off because the games they made were barely scratching even and it wasn't a good fit for either side, not because of NFT poo poo

Crystal D are also ostensibly still working on that Perfect Dark reboot that is in dev hell

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Why is Free Radical on there? They haven't been called that since 2009 and their current name is already on the list

I believe Embracer had announced plans to rename the studio back to Free Radical for them to work on a Timesplitters reboot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

njsykora posted:

I believe Embracer had announced plans to rename the studio back to Free Radical for them to work on a Timesplitters reboot.

Oh, well..uhhh..hmmm yeah we'll see lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

njsykora posted:

yep. which, now, probably not lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh, well..uhhh..hmmm yeah we'll see lol

The 7th Guest posted:

yep. which, now, probably not lol

lol lmao

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah fair I'll keep my conduct proper.

They also own Grimlore (Spellforce series, Titan Quest II), Pieces Interactive (Alone in the Dark 2024, Titan Quest 2 DLC, Magicka 2), Nine Rocks Games (Way of the Hunter series), Mirage Game Studios (Little Big Workshop), Vertigo Games (Arizona Sunshine, After the Fall), Tuxedo Labs (Teardown), Mad Head Games (Scars Above, Adam Wolfe), and Tatsujin (Toaplan games such as Sky Shark, Zero Wing, Twin Cobra)

What's also unfortunate is they own a lot of studios that were working on their first project, often a new IP. Like there's a couple dozen other studios I didn't mention because their first project is still under wraps.

The totality of the fallout of Embracer is going to be felt over the next couple of years.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The 7th Guest posted:

The totality of the fallout of Embracer is going to be felt over the next couple of years.

...and the cycle will start anew and nobody will have learned a thing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The whole acquisition spree was funded by the same Saudi investors anyway, so it was always a stupid pump and dump for some royals.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

kirbysuperstar posted:

They sold Eidos & Crystal D off because the games they made were barely scratching even and it wasn't a good fit for either side, not because of NFT poo poo

Crystal D are also ostensibly still working on that Perfect Dark reboot that is in dev hell

IIRC Square's western games were doing fine but they had wildly unrealistic sales expectations for them to carry their Final Fantasy bungles and ended up selling them off basically as a ragequit.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
And now nobody knows when the next Deus Ex games coming out.

drat you Square Embracer :argh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC Square's western games were doing fine but they had wildly unrealistic sales expectations for them to carry their Final Fantasy bungles and ended up selling them off basically as a ragequit.
not really tbh. ff15 sold like like two to three times as much as everything their western studios made except tomb raider. their expectations for those games were very high but with western aaa dev costs expecting them to sell as much as final fantasy isnt unreasonable, especially when ff15 had a publicly troubled development. avengers being a tire fire was probably the final straw.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!
Expecting them to sell as much as a numbered Final Fantasy title IS pretty unreasonable. Reminds me of how Capcom was genuinely surprised copying Call of Duty didn't somehow sell as well as Call of Duty.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Expecting them to sell as much as a numbered Final Fantasy title IS pretty unreasonable.
maybe, but is expecting hitman to sell more than final fantasy 12 revenant wings for the nintendo ds unreasonable?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hitman has always been a niche franchise tbh

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

dr_rat posted:

And now nobody knows when the next Deus Ex games coming out.

drat you Square Embracer :argh:

elias toufexis outright said he hasn't been approached for another deus ex gig, so unless they're rebooting again without jensen the IP is dead for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

repiv posted:

elias toufexis outright said he hasn't been approached for another deus ex gig, so unless they're rebooting again without jensen the IP is dead for now

Yeah and honestly, unless your going to finish off the Jensen plot line I'm not particular sure where you go with the series plot line that would be more intresting than just starting a new IP entirly.

...possibly just ignore invisible war and do a sequel to the original? But really Eidos Montreal working on a game "in the spirit" of would be just as good. Enough media is caught up in just reusing old IP, a new IP from them with them would be fine as well.

God knows what it's like working at one of the Embracer studios at the moment.