Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

DreddyMatt posted:

anyone comparing owning a dog to owning a gun is either disingenuous or a loving idiot.

how about comparing dogs to travellers? seems like that’d be right up your street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/buckfastbadlad/status/1701566627379081543

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's less "they'll just have to deal" and more "if they're unable to deal with normal, basic aspects of society like dogs (because they think without evidence that they might be attacked), then they need help."
I've just realized that the dog walking debate reminds me a lot of the bicycle helmet debate, where "you are almost always safer as an individual wearing a helmet and having basic training than not" and "society is fitter and healthier when cycling is encouraged, so making it sound like a guaranteed head injury or demanding onerous restrictions is sociologically less healthy" are both true.

If dogs get ten thousand older people out for a walk every day (and give them someone to come home for) for every injury they cause there's probably a similar sociological case.

So obviously, the solution to manage your dog on the way to the park is

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Julio Cruz posted:

how about comparing dogs to travellers? seems like that’d be right up your street

Both can be in the park and you'll just have to deal with it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
dog

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

They are the 3rd most dangerous animal to man however, after insects, snakes in terms of deaths. Some form of consideration should be given that dogs are actually very dangerous animals and every year loads of people particularly children are mauled and maimed.

While I don't think dogs need to be leashed 100% of the time, I think the laws need to be a lot more strict about dogs who show signs of aggressiveness and there should be efforts to breed that behavior away. That dog earlier who mauled that autistic boys cat to death should have been put down after the first such incident but this was like the 3rd cat it killed. Muzzling requirement was just ignored.

Oh absolutely, I should make it clear that my stance has always been that dogs with a tendency to roughness should be under stricter scrutiny than, to return to my joke earlier, a pomeranian.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What if the travellers had a gun, eh? Checkmate dogberals.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
What if they had dogs?

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

DreddyMatt posted:

What if they had dogs?

...I like caravans more

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I think the gun comparison is a little weak given we don't have more mass bitings than days in the year nor is a school biting a weekly occurrence. And additionally dogs are living, feeling creatures, so comparing them to a tool whose literal only purpose for existence is killing feels like comparing apples and mass shootings.

Guns aren't just a problem because of mass shootings, they also contribute to a lot of personal killings, suicides, and accidental injury or death due to just being very prolific. So I would say there is a pretty good throughline between guns, dogs, cars, fireworks, and a bunch of other stuff. There are things that are desired by a section of society and which have recreational and practical utility but which also incur an inevitable stochastic body count by their existence.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

suicide by dog

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dogs are good at preventing suicide, especially in widowers. So there's a second type of stochastic effect with pets, bicycles, ULEZ charges etc.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
if you ever see a dog going wild on the streets, run up to it and let it maul you to shreds as death is preferable to having to read the ensuing internet dog discourse

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

do ye like dags?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/sep/12/privacy-lawsuit-against-labour-over-antisemitism-report-dropped

Not sure if good or bad, you always have to do so much reading between the lines with these stories.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

they say AI will solve everything but its poo poo

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jakabite posted:

You were talking about being sniffed not being torn apart you muppet. If you’re terrified of being ripped to shreds every time a typically friendly breed that doesn’t appear to be in any way aggressive approaches you, that’s a you problem in the same way people with a fear of cars or other parts of public life kind of need to work on it or stay away from where they might be exposed to their fear. Your irrational fear isn’t something that the whole of society should have to adapt to, sorry about it.

What’s a typically friendly breed? Enthusiasts of every breed including the XL Bully all sing their praises about how friendly and wonderful they are. That dog seemed perfectly fine before it tried to bite my face off, but I guess it was my fault for not doing enough research into dog breeds. As it happens I don’t get too worried when a dog approaches me because I managed to avoid suffering any real injury in previous attacks/near attacks, I do however get very, very nervous when it won’t leave me alone and the owner clearly in no hurry to keep their dog under control. I am however capable of taking other people’s thoughts and feelings into consideration and know others might not be so lucky and support leashing on that basis.

Jakabite posted:

And again, I agree dogs shouldn’t be jumping up and getting nippy, but if you’re this vexed by a dog merely approaching you that’s on you bud.

Let me put a question to you; if your dog was approaching someone who was clearly frightened (I.e retreating or recoiling) would you attempt to recall or tell the person that it’s part of life and they had to deal with it. If you did opt to recall, what would you do if your dog didn’t respond?

Jakabite posted:

Also lol at the far thing, you do know we have speed limits and the vast majority of people who like cars are fully in favour of them? The world has things in it that can under the wrong circumstances be dangerous and scary, and that doesn’t mean we should be rid of them and try to minimise danger/fear at the cost of all else.

You know those things didn’t always exist don’t you? Speed limits were introduced because people were driving beyond the safe limits of their vehicle and ability. Low emissions zones were introduced to reduce the damage local populations were suffering from fumes. All these were and in some cases continue to be fiercely opposed by people who’s view is that any restriction on their freedom to do whatever they want with their car is unreasonable because they’re a responsible person - just like your view regarding dogs. Honestly if you replaced dogs with cars the discourse in this thread would be right at home at Pistonheads.

Jakabite posted:

Your posts, for example, cause me psychic harm but I don’t ask for you to be banned do I?

If I posted in such a manner and used offensive language would reasonably be expected to cause offence to other posters then yes I would be probated or banned. Once again, reasonable adjustment.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What needs to change there is the person with extreme dog anxiety, not literally everyone else. That's not ableism or individualism - Individualism would be saying "I don't like dogs so therefore nobody else in society should be able to let their dog off the leash."

It’s not literally everyone else though, it’s solely those who are determined not to leash their dog. Anecdotal I know but in my experience the overwhelming majority of dogs I see out and about are on leads, so clearly a large subset of owners is fine with the concept.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What you are talking about there is weaponised compliance. A person has a right to a safe zone around them. But when they walk up to someone else so they're in their zone and say "I don't feel safe, you need to leave," that's... That's not how any of this works.

That’s not what’s happening though is it? People who dislike dogs aren’t walking up to dogs and their owners saying “I don’t feel safe you need to leave the area.” Dogs are approaching people unprompted, and there seems to be a group of owners who don’t see this as a problem and in fact said people should deal with it, even though they’re clearly uncomfortable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/CurtisDaly_/status/1701496250300858802

Dogs make better pets and more reliable companions than centrists.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Goons be normal about dogs any% challenge [IMPOSSIBLE]

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I have brought shame on my shogun and must commit shiba inu

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
love having to quickly leaf through my copy of the Kennel Club encyclopaedia so I can work out if the dog rapidly approaching me is a “typically friendly breed” or not

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

What’s a typically friendly breed? Enthusiasts of every breed including the XL Bully all sing their praises about how friendly and wonderful they are. That dog seemed perfectly fine before it tried to bite my face off, but I guess it was my fault for not doing enough research into dog breeds. As it happens I don’t get too worried when a dog approaches me because I managed to avoid suffering any real injury in previous attacks/near attacks, I do however get very, very nervous when it won’t leave me alone and the owner clearly in no hurry to keep their dog under control. I am however capable of taking other people’s thoughts and feelings into consideration and know others might not be so lucky and support leashing on that basis.

Let me put a question to you; if your dog was approaching someone who was clearly frightened (I.e retreating or recoiling) would you attempt to recall or tell the person that it’s part of life and they had to deal with it. If you did opt to recall, what would you do if your dog didn’t respond?

You know those things didn’t always exist don’t you? Speed limits were introduced because people were driving beyond the safe limits of their vehicle and ability. Low emissions zones were introduced to reduce the damage local populations were suffering from fumes. All these were and in some cases continue to be fiercely opposed by people who’s view is that any restriction on their freedom to do whatever they want with their car is unreasonable because they’re a responsible person - just like your view regarding dogs. Honestly if you replaced dogs with cars the discourse in this thread would be right at home at Pistonheads.

If I posted in such a manner and used offensive language would reasonably be expected to cause offence to other posters then yes I would be probated or banned. Once again, reasonable adjustment.

It’s not literally everyone else though, it’s solely those who are determined not to leash their dog. Anecdotal I know but in my experience the overwhelming majority of dogs I see out and about are on leads, so clearly a large subset of owners is fine with the concept.

That’s not what’s happening though is it? People who dislike dogs aren’t walking up to dogs and their owners saying “I don’t feel safe you need to leave the area.” Dogs are approaching people unprompted, and there seems to be a group of owners who don’t see this as a problem and in fact said people should deal with it, even though they’re clearly uncomfortable.

Don’t be obtuse, you know what constitutes a known dangerous breed and a typically friendly breed.

If that happened I’d obviously be recalling my dog pretty drat fast and if for some reason she decided she still liked the smell of your boots I’d run over and leash her and apologise profusely, obviously. What did you expect me to say? ‘I’d laugh and tell them to stop being a baby!’?

It is literally everyone else. People who don’t have an irrational and extreme fear of dogs tend to either not mind dogs running about in appropriate places like parks and beaches, or actively like it. Most dogs have leashes because most dogs you see will be in the street, not in a place where it’s appropriate and safe for them to be unleashed.

Again I’d like to ask what you suggest the owner of a young, active dog with high exercise requirements do if they’re required never to be able to sprint about a field after a ball? You’re literally advocating the banning of ‘fetch’ for all dogs whose owners don’t live somewhere with acres of land lol

E: ^^^love to have so little experience of the outdoors I can’t recognise the difference between a bull mastiff and a golden retriever in temperament and expected behaviour

E2: I’ll stop now because this isn’t going anywhere. I’m off to take Lexi for a walk in the field and I’m going to throw her ball for her off leash until she’s good and tired. I think it basically comes down to ‘should society bend over backwards to make sure nobody, no matter how unusual their fear is, is ever uncomfortable ever or not?’

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 12, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

love having to quickly leaf through my copy of the Kennel Club encyclopaedia so I can work out if the dog rapidly approaching me is a “typically friendly breed” or not

Please just don't ever leave home without wearing a helmet

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

that chihuahua has a gun

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tesseraction posted:

Oh absolutely, I should make it clear that my stance has always been that dogs with a tendency to roughness should be under stricter scrutiny than, to return to my joke earlier, a pomeranian.

Anything that's breed specific is doomed to fail. Dog genes are just far too maluable. To enter your dog at crufts you need a KC certificate proving the authenticity of the breed which requires it to be bred from two other KC registered dogs because even expert dog judges cannot guantee a breed by sight and measurement's alone.

You also can't legislate by weight really either. Labradors are over 30kgs, the same weight class as American Bullies. And what if you dog is below the threshold and then goes over after gaining weight from neutering, which is common side effect? Its just full of issues.

Any dog law needs to be breed and size agnostic to work, plus it should be more than just about human health but that of the animals too.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I wasn't aware I had to be mindful of my car's physical and mental health in that way. I haven't driven it much recently, I hope it's not depressed :ohdear:

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Jakabite posted:

Again I’d like to ask what you suggest the owner of a young, active dog with high exercise requirements do if they’re required never to be able to sprint about a field after a ball?

Not have a dog.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Dogs are pretty good judges of character, so if you're constantly getting attacked out of the blue, maybe you just have bad vibes?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Anything that's breed specific is doomed to fail. Dog genes are just far too maluable. To enter your dog at crufts you need a KC certificate proving the authenticity of the breed which requires it to be bred from two other KC registered dogs because even expert dog judges cannot guantee a breed by sight and measurement's alone.

You also can't legislate by weight really either. Labradors are over 30kgs, the same weight class as American Bullies. And what if you dog is below the threshold and then goes over after gaining weight from neutering, which is common side effect? Its just full of issues.

Any dog law needs to be breed and size agnostic to work, plus it should be more than just about human health but that of the animals too.

True. I suppose I was thinking of the purebreeds or ones specifically bred to be violent, but mongrels are better off genetically and often cuter anyway. Maybe we need a nation of dog psychiatrists? Specifically not dog phrenologists though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

Also the newspaper (and legislative) panic about 'pitbull type' while making sure that people have only the vaguest clue what that means ends up with a whole lot of Lab crosses created for the nefarious purpose of "undoing some of that kennel club health damage" end up painted as arch child eaters.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Didn't they only come out with that as a reaction to Labour's "we will ban cigarettes?"

Disposable vapes are trash and there should at the very least be a battery/ewaste deposit scheme that's better than "chuck them in the park where they can start fires", but the whole "we will ban old thing"/"no we will ban new thing" double act is pretty tired.

They'll likely gently caress up the definition of 'disposable' and the companies involved will find a workaround. Like keep the form factor roughly similar but allow liquid refills, making it technically reusable, but still to be thrown away when the battery/coil dies.

Kind of like how flavoured cigarettes are banned in the UK, but even before the ban was enforced the tobacco companies had legal workarounds ready to go.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
much like the thread, dogs broke chatgpt

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
If you dog really is a lovable old soul or tiny toy breed that potters along behind you then what's the harm in just slinging an extender on them in a public place to keep everyone happy?

I can see the issue if your dog is a powerful and excitable large breed that needs hours of off lead exercise and pulls like an express train, but that's not what's happening right it's all loveable little scamps who are no bother to anyone.

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 12, 2023

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

They'll likely gently caress up the definition of 'disposable' and the companies involved will find a workaround. Like keep the form factor roughly similar but allow liquid refills, making it technically reusable, but still to be thrown away when the battery/coil dies.

Kind of like how flavoured cigarettes are banned in the UK, but even before the ban was enforced the tobacco companies had legal workarounds ready to go.

Yeah I could see that happening tbf.

With flavoured cigs though it did kind of work. You can get the straights that you put a (menthol) filter in but they’re a gently caress on and I only know one person who uses them, or you can smoke rollies. You can’t get menthol cigs ready to smoke anymore (unless you go to the right shops and ask specifically with a wink). It briefly stopped me smoking anyway, and I’m now trying to quit again after going to play 5 a side and literally throwing up outside the cage after 15 minutes. Lifting weights and smoking cigs does not a healthy cardiovascular system make, it turns out.

E:^^^ my dog is lovable and friendly but still likes to chase her ball across a field or just have a bit of zoomies

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Jakabite posted:

What did you expect me to say? ‘I’d laugh and tell them to stop being a baby!’?

I mean, to be honest, not actually knowing you in real life, I might expect you to say that? You literally said in another post "oh it's not that big a deal really is it?" which is actually the sort of language somebody who wants to minimise somebodies phobias/trauma/whatever would use, like textbook.

I think you seem like a good egg who posts an initial response that is quite dismissive and then you post follow up posts that are quite a bit more reasonable, the issue is that first response tends to colour the followup ones. Doesn't help that then people windmilled in with some pretty wild comparisons and examples either.

I'm pretty sure this exact dog discussion has happened at least once before in a previous incarnation of the UKMT as well and this exact same cycle played out, I don't think it got the point where dogs were being compared to guns though.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 12, 2023

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

I mean, to be honest, not actually knowing you in real life, yeah? You literally said in another post "oh it's not that big a deal really is it?" which is actually the sort of language somebody who wants to minimise somebodies phobias/trauma/whatever would use, like textbook.

Fair, that was a bit poo poo of me. Though I don’t think everyone who gets lovely and weird about a dog sniffing their foot has some deep seated trauma reason for it. Some people are just kind of babies about things that really aren’t a big deal. Like those people who get genuinely angry at kids who play their phones out loud on public transport or really, really hate street fundraisers to the point of wishing death on them. Personally I can’t imagine being affected by such a small thing (again outside of the people who’ve been attacked by dogs/children on buses/street fundraisers) and find it a bit daft and pathetic.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rustybear posted:

If you dog really is a lovable old soul or tiny toy breed that potters along behind you then what's the harm in just slinging an extender on them in a public place to keep everyone happy?

Dog on a lead is way more likely to trip someone up or get in the way of a passing bike, so I don't bother. I'll roll the dice on my 4.8kg lil terrier mutt sniffling somebody's foot too hard. Or accidentally making eye contact with a goon, killing them instantly

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

kecske posted:

do ye like dags?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jakabite posted:

If that happened I’d obviously be recalling my dog pretty drat fast and if for some reason she decided she still liked the smell of your boots I’d run over and leash her and apologise profusely, obviously. What did you expect me to say? ‘I’d laugh and tell them to stop being a baby!’?

Given your reaction and usage of “oval office” against anyone suggesting putting dogs on a lead, yeah that was pretty much what I expected you to do.

Jakabite posted:

It is literally everyone else. People who don’t have an irrational and extreme fear of dogs tend to either not mind dogs running about in appropriate places like parks and beaches, or actively like it. Most dogs have leashes because most dogs you see will be in the street, not in a place where it’s appropriate and safe for them to be unleashed.

Again I’d like to ask what you suggest the owner of a young, active dog with high exercise requirements do if they’re required never to be able to sprint about a field after a ball? You’re literally advocating the banning of ‘fetch’ for all dogs whose owners don’t live somewhere with acres of land lol

If you go back and re-read my posts you will say I mentioned I wouldn’t expect it in a park. I am referring to being in public, which I would take to mean in heavily populated areas with lots of people, such as streets, high streets etc.

Jakabite posted:

E: ^^^love to have so little experience of the outdoors I can’t recognise the difference between a bull mastiff and a golden retriever in temperament and expected behaviour

E2: I’ll stop now because this isn’t going anywhere. I’m off to take Lexi for a walk in the field and I’m going to throw her ball for her off leash until she’s good and tired. I think it basically comes down to ‘should society bend over backwards to make sure nobody, no matter how unusual their fear is, is ever uncomfortable ever or not?’

Again you’re looking at this through the lens of a dog lover; I have plenty of experience with the outdoors but would struggle to identify dogs outside the most popular breeds. I couldn’t tell you what attacked me other than it had white blotchy fur and a very angular face/about.

But you’re right; we are just arguing past each other at this point so I’m happy to leave it. I do hope you enjoy your walk together while the good weather lasts.

DreddyMatt posted:

Dogs are pretty good judges of character, so if you're constantly getting attacked out of the blue, maybe you just have bad vibes?

Ah yes, if someone is attacked it’s the victims fault. I’m glad that the thread has reached that conclusion.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’ll tell you what really suck…

London Dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always